What's new

Testers and Early Tournaments

Saying I disagree with Denzell =/= me being on his back. I'm sure he's got thicker skin than that.
Nah screw that. I am not going to sit here while some ppl just whine about testers. Also if this is such a big issue, why has no rule been implemented for something like this way before the game came out? Oh wait, no one wants to answer that though lol. Smh

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I played a grand total of 33 days before launch, all on different versions of the game, the time was broken up and not done at once, and 30 of the 33 days was for either testing, writing, or casting. I did however get those 3 solid days of pre launch personal play time though....
Tom told me at Fatal 8 that he's had the game for like 2 months after testing though, so that might be a different case for him.
And Tom told me he's been playing for 2 months. I'm not spouting stuff out of my ass.
So they're lying?

What you're saying now, after being questioned about "fair or unfair" is completely different from what they, and other people said you told them directly.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I totally get where Pnut's coming from . . . but like when is the statue of limitations up? Tomorrow? Seems like a tournament sniper, got sniped, and is tight about it, but that's life. I had the game 4-5 days early myself, entered my local (40 someodd people, might as well have been a pot bonus) and got second easily, and probably should have gotten first, damn that @Peckapowa

I never once thought of NOT entering. Did I have an advantage? Sure. Was I studying my ass off, for all potential match-ups I might run into, of course I was. These wins aren't without merit, like people said, Reo and Tom also played for 24 hours straight too. If you did that, and still lost, that sucks, but I doubt others did.

It comes down to, trying your best, and learning as best you can. Or not entering because you don't think you're ready yet. It's not banning the testers. This is how we learn.

I've got the same decision to make with NWM. @STB Shujinkydink HELP
I know it's expensive but if you want to train with the best mkx players and bring that knowledge back with you to your scene I recommend it. You may not win nwm but the quality time you spend training with the testers could win you multiple locals and make up for the funds lost in the long term :)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
U do not need to explain yourself, they can either accept what u are saying or not. Typical TYM junk tho, nothing new.
Bro I hear you, and usually agree, but if that's what it is just say it is. That's my only issue. Of course some people aren't gonna like it. Hell I don't like it. But I probably would have went to play anyone and wouldn't care about others feelings.

So if that's what it was then just say straight up "yea I bust yall ass, come see me when you get better at a tournament". Don't say, "oh but I barely played the game so the advantage was minimal even though I told everyone I played for two months".

That is an even bigger issue than playing or not playing. You played, you won free money with a huge advantage. Own up to it and move on to the next tourney.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Yeah man that week made all the difference, you're totally on the level of multi-mlg champions and tournament legends who have sponsors get paid to write fighting game guides.

I wonder if this thread would exist had it been bit or ppj.

Bro I hear you, and usually agree, but if that's what it is just say it is. That's my only issue. Of course some people aren't gonna like it. Hell I don't like it. But I probably would have went to play anyone and wouldn't care about others feelings.

So if that's what it was then just say straight up "yea I bust yall ass, come see me when you get better at a tournament". Don't say, "oh but I barely played the game so the advantage was minimal even though I told everyone I played for two months".

That is an even bigger issue than playing or not playing. You played, you won free money with a huge advantage. Own up to it and move on to the next tourney.
Some may think testers need to do that, others don't tho. This will just become another beat down topic that will be brought up again for the next NRS game and no one will make a ruling for it then (a thread like this will be made again). Rinse and repeat.... Smh

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
We all knew there was testers way before the game came out. Nobody established a rule saying the amount of time people needed before letting testers compete. 1 week or 2? A month? I still think for sure this thread would've never been made if he would've won.

coolwhip

Noob
Nah screw that. I am not going to sit here while some ppl just whine about testers. Also if this is such a big issue, why has no rule been implemented for something like this way before the game came out? Oh wait, no one wants to answer that though lol. Smh
I don't think a rule is needed. I think just out of common courtesy, testers shouldn't enter tournaments with money in the line (emphasis on money. If there's no money then sure, why not?) a week into the game. At least give people a week to get acquainted the with the game. After that, anything goes. Do you not think there's at least some validity to something like that? I mean, in the end, I don't care. I'm watching the streams at home so from my perspective, I want the testers to play obviously. But I can understand why competitors feel aggravated.

But like I said, I'm only talking about the first week to 10 days. After that, people should have leveled up enough since everyone is spending an obscene amount of time practicing the game anyway.

I don't think a rule is needed. I think just out of common courtesy, testers shouldn't enter tournaments with money in the line (emphasis on money. If there's no money then sure, why not?) a week into the game. At least give people a week to get acquainted the with the game. After that, anything goes. Do you not think there's at least some validity to something like that? I mean, in the end, I don't care. I'm watching the streams at home so from my perspective, I want the testers to play obviously. But I can understand why competitors feel aggravated.

But like I said, I'm only talking about the first week to 10 days. After that, people should have leveled up enough since everyone is spending an obscene amount of time practicing the game anyway.
If there is no rule set, then what is going to prevent a tester from entering an event? That is what I want an explanation about. No one wants to answer this, so obviously that means this will just keep happening

cR_MindSet

@cR_MindSet
I get the argument. But here is the thing. Based on your argument, they will always have a leg up on you and they can NEVER play an event. Since they started first they will always have more knowledge about the game. I would rather play the testers and lose than never play them. Given I will more than likely never get to play them in a tournament. But still.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
We all knew there was testers way before the game came out. Nobody established a rule saying the amount of time people needed before letting testers compete. 1 week or 2? A month? I still think for sure this thread would've never been made if he would've won.
Some may think testers need to do that, others don't tho. This will just become another beat down topic that will be brought up again for the next NRS game and no one will make a ruling for it then (a thread like this will be made again). Rinse and repeat.... Smh
That's the basis of his argument though. That a guy who told him, and many others, that he'd been playing for two months showed up and won the money against people who played for days or "got it 4 days early". That is why he is upset. Some people would love to get bodied by a long term tester, others would prefer they sit out and play casuals.

Try to understand his perspective. You two guys are two of the best NRS players on the scene. Top 10 hands down imo. Now say you both got the game on Tuesday midnight release, having never played before. If 16 Bit showed up to your house right now unexpectedly he would destroy you. Not because he's better or worse than the two of you as a player, but because he's had a lot more experience in the game at this point.

Now say you play 16 Bit at Evo. You stand a great chance of winning because now you are familiar with the game, mechanics, etc. The gap has been closed.

This is what @Pnut is saying and why he is upset. For all we know Pnut will win Evo this year or go 0-2, but he had no chance whatsoever of winning this weekend. As a player, if I saw free money I probably would have played too. The only difference is I would be straight up and say yes I had an advantage but no big deal because you'll all catch up soon. Not downplay it.

@SaltShaker I know exactly what is being said by him, I dnt agree with it. If 16bit and PPJ came to Vegas for a local with a pot bonus and bopped us, I would have held the L and prep myself to beat them at a future event (with more money on the line). But everyone has their own opinion, I am just sharing mine.

coolwhip

Noob
If there is no rule set, then what is going to prevent a tester from entering an event? That is what I want an explanation about. No one wants to answer this, so obviously that means this will just keep happening
Nobody said Tom and REO broke the rules. If there were no rules against testers participating, then nothing is actively stopping them from participating. That's why I said "out of common courtesy." So it's not that Tom and REO should be prevented, because you and Denzell both raise valid arguments: Prevented for how long? A week? A month? Who's to decide? And I agree. But I think it would be cool for testers to avoid participating in tourneys in the first week. Again, I'm saying they should avoid doing it, not that they should be banned. Maybe there's a reason 16 Bit and PPJ sat out the GGA scroll tournament.

Last edited:
Nobody said Tom and REO broke the rules. If there was no rules against testers participating, then nothing is actively stopping them from participating. That's why I said "out of common courtesy." So it's not that Tom and REO should be prevented, because you and Denzell both raise valid arguments: Prevented for how long? A week? A month? Who's to decide? And I agree. But I think it would be cool for testers to avoid participating in tourneys in the first week. Again, I'm saying they should avoid doing it, not that they should be banned. Maybe there's a reason 16 Bit and PPJ sat out the GGA scroll tournament.
PPJ and Bit work at NRS so they have had a vast amount of time with the game, but even still I would play against them at an early event (as I am sure others would as well). This is just a topic that our community is divided on, and will continue to be divided on until some type of compromise is made.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@SaltShaker I know exactly what is being said by him, I dnt agree with it. If 16bit and PPJ came to Vegas for a local with a pot bonus and bopped us, I would have held the L and prep myself to beat them at a future event (with more money on the line). But everyone has their own opinion, I am just sharing mine.
That's the main issue pretty much in a nutshell. Some people are ok with it, and others feel like it isn't fair to unbalance the playing field that high with pot bonus. I can respect that though. But I'd be pissed lol.

coolwhip

Noob
PPJ and Bit work at NRS so they have had a vast amount of time with the game, but even still I would play against them at an early event (as I am sure others would as well). This is just a topic that our community is divided on, and will continue to be divided on until some type of compromise is made.
Trust me when I say I want the testers playing. I've actually always been on the "let the testers play" side of these arguments. But I think playing in the first week is a little extreme. That's all.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
On a lighter note.

Since I actually boxed competitively, I'm gonna teach 50 high school kids how to box for a week that have not had more than street fights, then have their parents put in $10 each for a 1 vs 1 tournament where the winner takes the pot, and enter as the 51st entrant and win the money.

Because I can. :REO

I think if people feel the way Pnut does, they should have voiced their concerns before the game even came out. You don't get to bring this up now, just because you were involved in this particular case and ignore other tournaments that allows testers to enter where you weren't at.

This tournament is a local and probably shouldn't have testers banned regardless. Testers shouldn't be banned for locals just because a certain local happens to have a pot bonus. A tester can choose to not enter for the sake of being fair, but at the same time you can't blame them for entering.

So they're lying?

What you're saying now, after being questioned about "fair or unfair" is completely different from what they, and other people said you told them directly.
What a I was saying was I played for technically more than a month. Its a question that I get asked 99999 times per day and god help me if I even shave off 1 day and someone finds out. That 1 day will turn into 6 months. I cannot stand the rumors over the years of me having a game at least a year in advance, this is why I am so forthcoming post launch.

Out of all the locals in the entire country that all testers attended, this was THE ONLY ONE IN THE ENTIRE USA THAT WAS OFF LIMITS?

You want no one with any advantage? Fine, I'll gladly agree to that. But that also includes anyone who is known to have had the game a week prior to launch, or even longer. I am not ok with deciding who's advantage is ok and who's is not. Its either all KNOWN advantage is out or in.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah man that week made all the difference, you're totally on the level of multi-mlg champions and tournament legends who have sponsors get paid to write fighting game guides.

it would, just someone else would have made it and everyone would agree with the OP unlike this thread

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?

That thread couldnt exist because Bit and PPJ were smart enough to know not to enter tournaments so early for this exact reason. The two tournaments in Chicago this past weekend were free and only had pride on the line and both of them still did not play out of respect for the scene and the new game. So get out of here with that.

And Patrick is a very strong player and I have no doubt on an equal playing field he could easily put up a fight against tom or reo, but with the knowledge they gained through playing the game early they not only understood the game at a much more elevated level they also can abuse the lack of experience that players have so far. It just seems unfair and a little shitty to come in to this tournament (I get tom is from texas and REO was there for the new sponsor). Like Revolver said they could have just come to promote the game and commentate and maybe do some exhibitions vs the top three or something. All in all, the worst looking part of it is that they took the money and ran instead of sticking around to play games with the Texas scene. After all of Tom's wailing over not being able to get games in injustice (especially when he visited other regions) it seems a bit hypocritical to not help these guys level up and just play and enjoy the game with them.

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
OP has a good point and an obvious one. If you have an advantage, which follows automatically from early acquisition, then entering a tournament with a pot bonus is pretty lame. If you don't care about being lame, want to grab the cash and dip out, that's fine, but you can't expect to be respected for it. Tom made excuses in this thread that were weak, e.g. plane ticket, after he clearly stated he was already in the area for other reasons.

It's tough to see players as respected as DJT and MIT smugly calling out "salt" and making comments that so hugely miss the point. Thanks to @coolwhip @SaltShaker and @EGP Wonder_Chef for having a strong sense of reason and pointing some of this out.

Last edited:

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
On a lighter note.

Since I actually boxed competitively, I'm gonna teach 50 high school kids how to box for a week that have not had more than street fights, then have their parents put in $10 each for a 1 vs 1 tournament where the winner takes the pot, and enter as the 51st entrant and win the money.

Because I can. :REO
Do you follow boxing as well? That Provo vs. Matthyse fight this weekend was brutal.