What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Sub-Zero: The Devolution of a character

Antlergroin

Sub-Zero main - Tremor and Scorpion scrub.
First off, i want to say that i am in no way a pro or tournament player. So the ''balance'' changes suggested is to spark discussion and not go into frame details etc.

Now, on to the topic at hand.

THE DEVOLUTION OF SUB-ZERO

MKX is the continuation of MK9. Both story and gameplay wise. Every character that has come from MK9 has been pulled into MKX and then expanded upon. However, Sub-Zero is the only character that seems to have gotten worse at everything he used to be able to do in the previous games.

For example, Scorpion.
Scorpion is one of the flagship characters of Mortal Kombat. Everyone knows the yellow ninja and his two signature moves: Spear and Teleport. Now to create variations for Scorpion, NRS created the ''standard'' scorpion with those moves and then made additions to his skillset, creating the variations he has in the game. One where he has gained several new attacks with his swords, one where he can summon hellish minions and one where he can cloak himself in flame and throw fireballs at his opponents.

This is probably how every character in MKX has been designed. Take the universal well known moves, then give them some new and exciting stuff in each variation. Bam!

However, this is seemingly not the way Sub-Zero was designed. Sub-Zero instead has had his prior moveset cut into pieces and sold seperately. Sub-Zero's signature moves have always been his ice ball and his ice clone. However when each variation for Subby were made, they made the base character solely with his ice ball, robbing him of one of his signature moves.

Grand Master. Now one of his signature moves has become a variation. And that's cool. A moveset designed around one of his signature moves is great. Now you can throw the clone, shatter it and all sorts of cool shit. I feel that Sub-Zero's GM variation is nicely designed (but with a few hitbox issues). But taking away one of his signature moves in his other variation makes him a much less interesting character overall if he doesn't get something new and exciting that makes up for it. Something which does not happen.

Cryomancer. Ok i get it. Subadub created ice weapons mid combos in the earlier games. But it was never anything special. I see how it could turn into an interesting variation with some cool new additions that makes him play in a different way. Like throwing ice shards/throwing stars/Kunais at the opponent or some other crazy stuff that makes you able to throw the opponent around (like something Boneshaper Shinnok has, but made of ICE). But all he got was an Ice Hammer move and one of his space controlling combo's turned into a combo ender instead. That's it. The only big difference you notice when playing this variation is that you don't have an ice clone anymore. How exciting. It's like playing Reptile, but with less options.

Unbreakable: This variation seemed to have potential. A big fucking Ice Shield and an ice aura. So now you have a close-range Ice clone you can use for parrying or blocking projectiles. Something which you could already do in the GM variation. Can you do any other cool things with the ice shield? No. B-but you got a cool ice aura! Does it enhance Sub's other abilities? No. He just doesn't take chip damage. Wow.

So TL;DR: The design of Sub-Zero in MKX is flawed to begin with. I love Sub and i still think he's pretty good. But that doesn't change the fact that one of Mortal Kombat's flag ship characters has gotten severely gimped and a lot less interesting compared to the rest of the cast. And that makes me sad.

HOW CAN WE FIX THIS?

Well, to be honest i don't know if he can be fixed. But there's a few things that i think could be added without breaking the game and adding more variety to the character:

GM: Fine as it is, but need some fine-tuning on the ice clone hitboxes and the clone no longer disappearing when mid throw (does this seriously have to be said?)

Cryomancer: Change up his ice ball, turn it into several ice shards or a special projectile or something. Or give him another kind of ice weapon so he has something other than a slow hammer that's only used for it's EX juggle properties.

Unbreakable: Make his Ice Shield cancelable! This would add some interesting combo extenders and some more variety. Or make it possible to shatter the shield as you can do with the ice-clone in GM. Now the shield has several different uses. Hooray!
Or you could make the Ice Aura give some special properties to Sub's attacks. That would be cool.

What are your opinions on this? Let's try to have a civil conversation about our favourite ice ninja.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
Lets not make anymore threads bro lets just tweet to netherrealm the lyrics of that one song "Say something im giving up on you"

zoofs

bless
grandmaster - breathing hitbox overhaul and ex clone possibly staying on block (luxury buff)
cryo - hammer cancellable or new move completely + at least some advantage from cold blooded restand
unbreakable - parry should recover instantly from projectiles only and possibly steal/build meter, change input for aura to something else and give him frost bomb, possibly the ability to link something after a string into ex aura (luxury buff)

none of this is going to happen though so there's really no point in discussing it

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I actually love the idea of giving Sub Zero an arsenal of weapons in Cryomancer rather than just a hammer... So instead of ice blast he gets those throwing knives on his wrist from his primary costume. They don't freeze... they like slow the opponent allowing extending juggles or something. And give him a better recapture tool than F42grab since he can't "freeze" them anymore.

And the Ice Parry being able to explode would be dope. No more worrying about anti airs. haha

Antlergroin

"was in UMK3 and MK9" != "iconic to series".

Sub's "iconic" moves are the ice ball and slide, his clone has been missing from more games than its been in. Raiden has a bigger claim to his teleport in all vars than Sub does to his clone.
(Less wordy response since currently on phone) I know that slide has been a part of sub's moveset for more games than clone. But slide is just as much a staple for reptile and he has several other moves on top of that.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
He is good. But that's not the point of the thread. lol

It's about what would you have done for his variations.
My opinion is that Grandmaster is fine, and since Unbreakable is essentially confirmed for buffs from all the bitching along with Cyromancer getting possibly tweaked on Monday this thread kinda is irrelevant.

No offense

Antlergroin

Can we at least wait until we see the patch notes first before we start making these kinds of threads again?
Unless the next patch contains major design changes to sub i don't see Why we should have to wait to discuss changes to His variations in order to make him less of a one trick pony.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
Cool ideas, at this point sub other variations beside gm are kinda half finished, it's not that interesting and feels a bit lacking in content

Antlergroin

My opinion is that Grandmaster is fine, and since Unbreakable is essentially confirmed for buffs from all the bitching along with Cyromancer getting possibly tweaked on Monday this thread kinda is irrelevant.

No offense
Buffs to frame data isn't gonna change a fundamentally flawed variation

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
sorry, I often forget every single detail about MK4 because its aids. Gold star to you. Doesn't make it more iconic than the slide or Raiden's teleport.
I don't see how, since there were games where Sub-Zero didn't have slide either. So judging by that, only freeze is Sub's iconic move ?

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
What I would've liked to see them do with Cryo is let him use his variety of weapons, like switch to his hammer for slow, hard hitting attacks, sword for swift low damage attacks, that sorta thing

trufenix

bye felicia
(Less wordy response since currently on phone) I know that slide has been a part of sub's moveset for more games than clone. But slide is just as much a staple for reptile and he has several other moves on top of that.
I just feel like "Sub should have his clone in all variations because I like it" would be a much easier rhetoric to preach than this given how many other characters are "missing" iconic moves in all variations.

Antlergroin

I just feel like "Sub should have his clone in all variations because I like it" would be a much easier rhetoric to preach than this given how many other characters are "missing" iconic moves in all variations.
I'm not saying that he should have a clone in all variations at all. I'm saying that he needs something else to make up for it. Like for eksample another type of ICE weapon. Don't Remove something without giving something back in return.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
0/10 thread.

Yuck.
I guess I took it as "how would you have designed the variations". Not how they should be changed. Thought there was some decent ideas.

You gotta admit that only giving Cryo a couple sword strings, a practically worthless hammer, and a reset to neutral is kinda lackluster in the creative department, no?

trufenix

bye felicia
I don't see how, since there were games where Sub-Zero didn't have slide either. So judging by that, only freeze is Sub's iconic move ?
Sub is only missing Slide in the DA-era games, and Cold Shoulder is basically the same move. Doesn't hit low, but otherwise identical. Meanwhile Shake, Parry, Nugget, Puddle, Teleport, Shower, and everything else are nothing like the clone.

I get it, people like the clone. Its a cool unique move. Which is why it has its own dedicated variation with a ton of unique skills that nobody else in the game even has. But it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see how having clone with its new utility in all three vars would be overkill. Even if they gimped its utility in Cryo and UB we'd be having the same discussion under the banner of "grandmaster is the only var with a real clone"

The problem is not that Sub Zero is incomplete, but that he is not quite top tier and grandmaster is damned close. Raiden mains were up in arms about his teleport being "iconic" until they realized his teleport was fucking useless, now nobody cares about teleport or displacer.

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm not saying that he should have a clone in all variations at all. I'm saying that he needs something else to make up for it. Like for eksample another type of ICE weapon. Don't Remove something without giving something back in return.
He's got a ton of stuff, it just happens to suck. Like Ermac's spectral, Takeda's lasher, and Jacqui's everything. Kung Lao's top tier and he doesn't even use half his movelist. The problem isn't that Sub needs more, its that he needs better.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I guess I took it as "how would you have designed the variations". Not how they should be changed. Thought there was some decent ideas.

You gotta admit that only giving Cryo a couple sword strings, a practically worthless hammer, and a reset to neutral is kinda lackluster in the creative department, no?
Well what would you do? I read your post above about the ideas, but I don't know. Sub-Zero without ice ball is just not right lol. Also he definitely needs them for meterless combos. I think it would be cool if he had KF's daggers, but I would prefer ice balls because combos.

For unbreakable if I had to give it a wild thought, I'd give him the air-freeze move he had in DA. Maybe make it exclusive for anti-airing since he already has a parry. I don't really have a problem anti-airing with him, but that would be cool, creative-wise.