What's new

Question Sub-Zero Ground Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

axeman87

Noob
Just wondering.... anyone found any practical use for Subbies Ground Freeze?

Anytime I've (intentionaly) used it I got punished, so I avoid it alltogether now.

Everynow and again though, in a moment of panic I will throw one out and it gets opponents of guard.

Much as I love the old ice puddle and would love to see NRS patch-in back in I dont think its going to happen, so I think I'll have to accept that this is what we have for MK9 and find a way to use it.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Noooooo. It's probably not going to get buffed in a patch. If there's still Sub tech out there, it's not with the ground freeze :)

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Shoyuken818 found a neat 50/50 reset:
the whiff b1, 2 ex ground freeze one? that one is jump-out escapable. but i catch everybody online doing that haha its great

edit: just saw the huge black space after quoting you and loaded the thread in another browser. that's an interesting reset. it actually works? damn nice one.

ryublaze

Noob
the whiff b1, 2 ex ground freeze one? that one is jump-out escapable. but i catch everybody online doing that haha its great

edit: just saw the huge black space after quoting you and loaded the thread in another browser. that's an interesting reset. it actually works? damn nice one.
Yeah. I can't do it everytime and it's probably best not to risk it but what it does is reset the damage scaling, pushes the opponent forward, builds meter, and stalls.

Dark_Rob

Noob
This is old, and 100% escapable. Its not a 50/50. All the opponent has to do is not hold block or try to do anything. When he unfreezes from the ice blast he will just slip and fall on the ice puddle. Because you cant cancel ice puddle the way you can when using B2 there is no mixup. The opponent does not have to guess. As soon as he sees you do a ground freeze he can just let go of his controls and escape every time.

One of my personal favourite ways to use the ice puddle is in the corner. Once you freeze off any normal (2,1,2/2,2,4/2,1,4) NJP them into the ground (some freezes require 2 NJPs B1,2/2,2/F4) and immediately throw a EX ground freeze. I believe the only way out of this is with very fast normals and specials. Sounds fishy but works.

ryublaze

Noob
That was featured in the very first combo in my Scorpion/Sub Zero Tag Team Combo Video, which was posted before his.

Where's my credit?
Sorry I didn't know. I don't remember seeing Ground Freeze after Ice Ball. I loved that tag video though, especially the Hellfire Assist/Ground Freeze reset. It improved my Scorp/Sub tag team by a lot. :)

Dark_Rob

Noob
One of my personal favourite ways to use the ice puddle is in the corner. Once you freeze off any normal (2,1,2/2,2,4/2,1,4) NJP them into the ground (some freezes require 2 NJPs B1,2/2,2/F4) and immediately throw a EX ground freeze. I believe the only way out of this is with very fast normals and specials. Sounds fishy but works.
Nearly all wakeup attacks will beat this due to the invincibility imparted upon wakeup attacks.

That was featured in the very first combo in my Scorpion/Sub Zero Tag Team Combo Video, which was posted before his.

Where's my credit?
I wasn't trying to take credit from you with that video I made. I knew about that reset(ice blast to ice puddle) before the patch and I had never seen it done anywhere other wise I wouldn't have posted it. Here's another video I made before the one shown above and before your tag video.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
If I hear the word "credit" one more time, I'm gonna break my laptop. We're all here to support the community, can't we at least try to learn some things? Give SHORYUKEN some props here!

Anyway SHORYUKEN, great tech there dude. I gotta try and get this down.

who cares about who came up with what? you're all just a bunch of nerds making videos to impress the other nerds.

Dark Rob.... Can you sticky one of these ice puddle threads to the top so that we can stop getting a thread a week about this shitty ice puddle?

Thanx Blake, but I hope this thread doesn't start going in the wrong direction like a bunch of other ones. I just wanted to let Check know that I'm not trying to use other ppls tech to boost my popularity.

axeman87

Noob
Yeh... seems to be all too much testosterone going around ATM hahaha

ON TOPIC - Sticky would be a good idea. I've no doubt the Ground Freeze question has been asked by many before me, but I didnt see any on the main page so started a new one.

Ok... Got some MegaNoob questions...

All this talk of "Reset" is confusing me. From what I can gather in means the game interprets the start of a new combo, meaning the super count (like Freeze) resets, but the players know that it is the same combo. Is that right?

Also, I tried the ground freeze after a normal freeze and it splashed out (technical term?). Am I simply doing it too soon, or was it patched?

And last one guys (sorry)... In the first vid it looks like the guy starts his Xray then jumps over the opponent. WTF is going on there? Aside from me trying it and failing everytime, what purpose does that have?

Thanks guys.

Panque

Random foreign guy
And last one guys (sorry)... In the first vid it looks like the guy starts his Xray then jumps over the opponent. WTF is going on there? Aside from me trying it and failing everytime, what purpose does that have?

Thanks guys.
It fools your opponent since he will probably try to block and punish your x-ray, and then you can get some free pressure going. Useful only in the last round when both your and your opponent's life bar are low I think. Otherwise you will probably be better canceling a b2 or something and using that x-ray in a combo or spend the bar on a breaker.

axeman87

Noob
It fools your opponent since he will probably try to block and punish your x-ray, and then you can get some free pressure going. Useful only in the last round when both your and your opponent's life bar are low I think. Otherwise you will probably be better canceling a b2 or something and using that x-ray in a combo or spend the bar on a breaker.
Ok... that makes sense. But HTF do you cancel an Xray? I didnt even know that was possible.

axeman87

Noob
Dash forward or backward while holding the x-ray buttons down. Only for Sub and Smoke.
Right... so the guy is holding Xray, then dashing and finally jumping over his opponent in one take?

Man... I need to work on my dashing. I'm flat out just dashing in to connect standard strings.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Dark Rob.... Can you sticky one of these ice puddle threads to the top so that we can stop getting a thread a week about this shitty ice puddle?
As much as I would love to see the ice puddle threads stop,I just cannot justify sticking a thread about a move that has no use in high level play and is based solely around gimmicks that are always escapable.

Shoryuken himself has stated numerous times that he would never attempt any of these things on a high level player and indeed Ive never seen him try to. People use these things on people who dont know any better and dont know how to escape it. Sticking this thread would not be promoting high level Sub strategies, it would be promoting gimmicks that will only work on low level players.

Status
Not open for further replies.