What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

loogie

Noob
I spent the better half of the day testing this to make sure I wasnt crazy. It sometimes misses in the normal skins because of proximity, but for some reason in Blue Steel it will miss 90% of the time. It looks like that combo may need to be altered slightly.
you have to find the sweet spot, I found it more consistent (for the clone to connect and freeze) when they are lower to the ground so you have to time/space your b12 after the d1 only slightly late then doing it immediately after the b2

loogie

Noob
I am having a lot of trouble with this combo right here, I cant get the FJ+2 to connect, anyone got any tips?
11 ~ Ice Ball > (whiff ice clone) Jump in 1 or 2 ~ 242 > Jump Forward + 2 > Neutral Jump 3 or 4
this could be a typo from the OP, it doesn't seem to be doable at all. much rather go for a njp 1/2 after the 242 and do the njk 3/4

Creepy00

Noob
It seems like it. I spent about 30-45 mins trying to pull that combo, but never once pulled it off completely. After doing Fj1 (easier to connect that Fj2) subzero doesn't seem to have enough time to jump again and do a Nj afterwards.

Back + 2, Back + 2 > Back + 1,2 ~ Enhanced Ice Blast > Neutral Jump 1 or 2 > Jump Forward + 3 > Back + 1,2 ~ Slide - 40%​

can't do this. after jump 3 only b1 connects and rest of the string drops. if I use j2 instead - everything connects and it's 39%. any tips?​

Train

Noob
guys.. what's the trick with Corner X ray combo:
CORNER X-RAY COMBOS:
· Back + 2 > 1 > Back + 1,2 ~ X-Ray - 48%

I wiff Xray all the time ??

LockM

Noob
guys.. what's the trick with Corner X ray combo:
CORNER X-RAY COMBOS:
· Back + 2 > 1 > Back + 1,2 ~ X-Ray - 48%

I wiff Xray all the time ??
You probably cancel the x-ray too slow after b+1,2, or you hold the x-ray down so you accidentlay charge it, or the b+1,2 is hit too low. Have to be pretty fast with it.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
@Tom Brady one thing to note about the b33 string that I don't see in this thread is on female characters it connects to ice ball meterless at all but the very tip of its range mid screen. I'm not sure why (maybe they don't stagger as far?) But if you're close to them b33 can combo meterless midscreen.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
I found this vid posted by @KHCat on youtube has some pretty good combos.
Ok so now that the game is out, I have been trying to find a way to pressure with this character, or in this game in general, but since ALL of his stings are negative I'm finding it difficult,anyone got any ideas or tips on how to pressure and reset pressure when strings are blocked. Has anyone found any good normals to stagger?

Last edited:
Mates! I`m having some strange odds

I cant connect slide in combos a-la 2,4,2- run up - 1,2,3- slide
i`ve seen on videos they connect it easy, its just like animation of 3 doesnt end and they cancel it into slide
but i can only get slide animation after sub-zero puts his leg on the ground in 1,2,3 string

I`m playing on PC, maybe its some kind of "lag" lol? I donno
does anyone have similar difficulties?

Endeavor

Mates! I`m having some strange odds

I cant connect slide in combos a-la 2,4,2- run up - 1,2,3- slide
i`ve seen on videos they connect it easy, its just like animation of 3 doesnt end and they cancel it into slide
but i can only get slide animation after sub-zero puts his leg on the ground in 1,2,3 string

I`m playing on PC, maybe its some kind of "lag" lol? I donno
does anyone have similar difficulties?
I started using 123 as well you kind of need to input slide as soon as you do the string, like be for it ends on the screen almost like your watching it by the time it happens onscreen.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I found this vid posted by @KHCat on youtube has some pretty good combos.
Ok so now that the game is out, I have been trying to find a way to pressure with this character, or in this game in general, but since ALL of his stings are negative I'm finding it difficult,anyone got any ideas or tips on how to pressure and reset pressure when strings are blocked. Has anyone found any good normals to stagger?
Just because you're negative doesn't mean it still isn't your turn.

especially if you've locked someone into a string with a clone nearby. Burst that bitch for the + frames and continue into a new clone.

Endeavor

Just because you're negative doesn't mean it still isn't your turn.

especially if you've locked someone into a string with a clone nearby. Burst that bitch for the + frames and continue into a new clone.
Bursting ice clone is + on block? I thought it was just safe.

Endeavor

The shards are. As well as the clone toss.

hence why the clone is so obnoxiously good.
Well I knew clone toss was + but I didn't know bursting it was also. I couldn't figure out how to use clone toss up close and make use of its frame advantage cause of the fear of being poked out of the toss itself. Also I have heard that you can RC (run cancel) strings, is that character specific or can everyone do it?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Well I knew clone toss was + but I didn't know bursting it was also. I couldn't figure out how to use clone toss up close and make use of its frame advantage cause of the fear of being poked out of the toss itself. Also I have heard that you can RC (run cancel) strings, is that character specific or can everyone do it?
I have no idea.
i didn't know you could run cancel strings. I'm guessing if you have a cancellable move that you can cancel into a run into a normal.

Just found that if you do a point blank ice clone (in the corner) then throw them, the ice clone freezes them after the throw is over, they get frozen by the ice clone and you won't get knocked out of the throw like usual allowing you to get a full combo but if they were blocking before you threw them, they're left standing.

AniMoney

GIVE ME THE FORMUOLI
Can someone explain how to use the run in combos?

for example:

j1, b12, ice ball, j1, 242, run, 123 Slide.

do I cancel the last 2 in 242 into a run? or just do it after I've recovered? I'm not sure how I should be inputting this.

This and canceling chains into slide are the two things I'm having trouble with. You have to cancel into slide so fast! For slide I've found a technique where I input the button for the slide at the same time as the last normal in the chain, so I'll do 12, back, and then forward 3+4, and it'll come out as 123 Slide. It's working well but it's just not intuitive for me yet, I need to practice until it's muscle memory. Is this how you guys are doing it?

Can someone explain how to use the run in combos?

for example:

j1, b12, ice ball, j1, 242, run, 123 Slide.

do I cancel the last 2 in 242 into a run? or just do it after I've recovered? I'm not sure how I should be inputting this.

This and canceling chains into slide are the two things I'm having trouble with. You have to cancel into slide so fast! For slide I've found a technique where I input the button for the slide at the same time as the last normal in the chain, so I'll do 12, back, and then forward 3+4, and it'll come out as 123 Slide. It's working well but it's just not intuitive for me yet, I need to practice until it's muscle memory. Is this how you guys are doing it?
I personally input the special before the string is completed, as for run cancels, I input the run on the recovery frames of the last hit.

Hey so I am brand new to this game and after fate (random select) gave me this character, I decided to see how much damage was possible. This isn't a very practical combo, but it does hit for a ton without any meter investment:

49% Meterless Corner Combo:

Ice Clone (you want to distance this at the very edge of your sweep), j2, b12 xx Ice Burst (if you distanced it right, the burst will launch the opponent and the shards from the clone will juggle), d1, b12 xx Ice Clone, nj2, j2, 123 xx Slide.

I will try to figure out how to put up videos and whatnot but yeah.

Alternatively I have been playing around with substituting everything after the nj2 with f12, as it seems to give you the most amount of time to set up another clone to go in for another mixup that eventually leads back into f12. Not sure how viable this would be considering I have only been sitting in training mode since I picked up the game but it might be worth thinking about.

Variations:

j2 > b12 starter with f12 ender = 47%
j2> b33 starter with f12 ender = 43%
j2> b33 starter with slide ender = 46%

Last edited: