What's new

Starfield could be the best game I have ever played!

Art Lean

Noob
I bought it for my son on pre-release on Steam.

I've not actually played it yet, which is weird considering I love sci-fi and adored Fallout.

We got hit with the HDD issue that I never even comprehended being a thing, so I tried to clear out the SSD of anything non-vital after he started playing it at mine and it ran like a dog and I had to do some research and discovered it needs to be booted from an SSD to not run like crap... and pretty yet much most of our SSD is full of vital stuff. There's no games, no music, no movies, no nothing, and best I could clear out was 96gb of free space. Game needs 145gb or something, ffs.

Luckily he found room on his home laptop, so he's playing it at his mum's on the same Steam account, but I have to buy a new hard-drive to even play the thing without massive lag. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous, our gaming PC is only a year old and really high spec, yet doesn't have the biggest onboard SSD, but that was fine because all Steam games got saved to our 4tb external HDD with no issues on any single one of them. Until this one...

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
evert new game is designed to run on a SSD... MK1 for example.

Man this game is so amazing... been really getting into Starship design recently. Started by trading starships for cash, buying warships and now I'm designing and building my own fleet. So much fun. It is good that the space combat is so satisfying. I actually havn't even done a quest hours of game time just exploring, and doing combat and factory stuff.... just The game is just so deep that you can make your own game inside it. Your own quests based on what interests you. I've basically started my own SpaceShip corporation.
i went into home design, but i think you cant move in with your spouse anymore like in previous beth games, at least i didnt find out how. that would be a letdown.

Jynks

Love to see your screens. I did the "dream home" perk but have yet to pay off my loan. I really enjoy setting up homes in other games, so plan to do the same here. Also, as I am running corpo I'll probably get an apartment on Neon. Still, as the game is so new, i have not seen any cool "pimped out homes" yet. I do keep my eye out for cool junk. I found a really sweet air hockey table on an abandoned mining yard for example. I spent more time on my homeroom in that Hogwarts game than playing the actual "game"!

Love to see your screens. I did the "dream home" perk but have yet to pay off my loan. I really enjoy setting up homes in other games, so plan to do the same here. Also, as I am running corpo I'll probably get an apartment on Neon. Still, as the game is so new, i have not seen any cool "pimped out homes" yet. I do keep my eye out for cool junk. I found a really sweet air hockey table on an abandoned mining yard for example. I spent more time on my homeroom in that Hogwarts game than playing the actual "game"!
dont expect too much, im just going for small and cozy interior, but i can send screens from the akila core home and the mining outpost workers' living room later.

For those who have an Xbox Series or a PC capable of playing the game and are on the fence or just curious to try it, subscribe to Game Pass for $1.00. It's a dirt cheap "rental" fee. Before the month is up cancel your membership, and buy the game if you want. It's an Xbox Play Anywhere game as well.

Below are all of Digital Foundry's coverage of the launch game so far. Performance analysis on Xbox Series, tech analysis, PC optimization, discussion about the 30 FPS limit on consoles, the odd native HDR implementation, the odd partnership the game has with AMD and FSR 2, and PC optimization issues on nVidia and Intel graphics cards.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Below are all of Digital Foundry's coverage of the launch game so far. Performance analysis on Xbox Series, tech analysis, PC optimization, discussion about the 30 FPS limit on consoles, the odd native HDR implementation, the odd partnership the game has with AMD and FSR 2, and PC optimization issues on nVidia and Intel graphics cards.

30 FPS on xbox sounds awful

30 FPS on xbox sounds awful
According to Digital Foundry, it was the right call.

For my own part, while overall 60 FPS is obviously better, it's not needed in every game. For games that require precision and fast reactions, like shooters, fighting games, action RPGs, I'd say it's a must. For slow RPGs, most action adventure games, etc. it's fine.

Jynks

Frame rates are a con. Film is 24 fps... no one comes out of watching Infinity Wars going on about frame rate.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
According to Digital Foundry, it was the right call.

For my own part, while overall 60 FPS is obviously better, it's not needed in every game. For games that require precision and fast reactions, like shooters, fighting games, action RPGs, I'd say it's a must. For slow RPGs, most action adventure games, etc. it's fine.
Whether it’s the right call or not for the game that exists doesn’t matter to me, it feels like a prettier last gen game on Xbox. Its a bad look when God of War 5 can play at like 90 fps on the weaker PS5.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Frame rates are a con. Film is 24 fps... no one comes out of watching Infinity Wars going on about frame rate.
Cause it’s a film… it’s not an interactive medium. I don’t need to see Captain America throw his shield in 100000 fps. The first Hobbit movie was 48 fps and it looked like fucking shit. Frame rates DO matter in movies, even more than games, it’s just 24 fps that’s the standard. Frame rates aren’t a con lol.

That's not the case, actually. The frame rate is a big factor in determining how smooth and responsive a game is.

it feels like a prettier last gen game on Xbox. Its a bad look when God of War 5 can play at like 90 fps on the weaker PS5.
Most games this generation "feel" like prettier last gen games. It's not a bad look when Starfield and God of War: Ragnarok are different genres of games, who's goal is to create vastly different experiences.

Also, God of War: Ragnarok is a last generation game according to it's developer that was enhanced for PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation 5.

The PlayStation 5 is only slightly weaker than the Xbox Series X as well. Roughly an RTX 2070 Super compared to a RTX 2080.

30 fps in starfield isnt great but its fine. they could even have added a bit more motion blur. its just a bit of a bummer that even the 30 can get unstable under certain conditions (big city or planet with many animals). i hope they look into that in the future.

30 fps in starfield isnt great but its fine. they could even have added a bit more motion blur. its just a bit of a bummer that even the 30 can get unstable under certain conditions (big city or planet with many animals). i hope they look into that in the future.
One of the videos I posted, they actually try to run Starfield at 60 FPS on a custom built PC that's very close to an Xbox Series X. Give it a watch and see what happens.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I've been playing for about 12h and like the game so far, barring the stuttering and audio desyncs EVERYWHERE since I play on an HDD. I have some questions though:

Is there a point in landing in the middle of nowhere on planets? I have mostly being exploring outposts and marked places on planets. Im assuming you land into the middle of nowhere and the game procedurally generatea a vast landscape with some resources scattered and some monsters here and there. Is that it? Or do we have a chance to spawn a legendary chest with unique equipment or a secret npc quest giver?

Also, I did some quests for the freestar rangers up to the point I meet Maya Cruz, and then the Sheriff/whatever Daniel simply has no more dialogue and quest starters for me (neither does the guy I have given some encrypted slates to) - is this the end of the questlines for those Rangers or do I simply wait some days and return? Or do I progress into the story/other missions first and then return?

Thanks in advance, I'm enjoying the game

I've been playing for about 12h and like the game so far, barring the stuttering and audio desyncs EVERYWHERE since I play on an HDD. I have some questions though:

Is there a point in landing in the middle of nowhere on planets? I have mostly being exploring outposts and marked places on planets. Im assuming you land into the middle of nowhere and the game procedurally generatea a vast landscape with some resources scattered and some monsters here and there. Is that it? Or do we have a chance to spawn a legendary chest with unique equipment or a secret npc quest giver?

Also, I did some quests for the freestar rangers up to the point I meet Maya Cruz, and then the Sheriff/whatever Daniel simply has no more dialogue and quest starters for me (neither does the guy I have given some encrypted slates to) - is this the end of the questlines for those Rangers or do I simply wait some days and return? Or do I progress into the story/other missions first and then return?

Thanks in advance, I'm enjoying the game
maybe you wanna use some spoiler tags

Freestar Rangers Questline ends with recieveing the ranger bagde. the maya cruz quest is one of two parallel paths, maybe you havent done the second one yet? dont know about the planets, i tend to get those random quests from the terminals then go to that planet so i know its not for nothing.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
maybe you wanna use some spoiler tags

Freestar Rangers Questline ends with recieveing the ranger bagde. the maya cruz quest is one of two parallel paths, maybe you havent done the second one yet? dont know about the planets, i tend to get those random quests from the terminals then go to that planet so i know its not for nothing.
I have fully completed the maya cruz quest and havent received the badge (I mean, I did receive a deputy badge in the very first mission, then did some quests - one led me to neon city, even. But after the maya quest, the faction leaders ceased to have unique dialogues. Not sure if this means it's all done...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
That's not the case, actually. The frame rate is a big factor in determining how smooth and responsive a game is.

Most games this generation "feel" like prettier last gen games. It's not a bad look when Starfield and God of War: Ragnarok are different genres of games, who's goal is to create vastly different experiences.

Also, God of War: Ragnarok is a last generation game according to it's developer that was enhanced for PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation 5.

The PlayStation 5 is only slightly weaker than the Xbox Series X as well. Roughly an RTX 2070 Super compared to a RTX 2080.
Fair point on GOW 5, and I definitely agree it doesn't matter as much in every game. I played and loved the Halo games on 360 in 30 FPS, but now I can't go back for a shooter. Playing Doom Eternal on xbox with a locked 120 fps is pretty awesome and it's hard to want to go back. A higher frame rate could make a game like Starfield with middling combat feel a lot better.

Fair point on GOW 5, and I definitely agree it doesn't matter as much in every game. I played and loved the Halo games on 360 in 30 FPS, but now I can't go back for a shooter. Playing Doom Eternal on xbox with a locked 120 fps is pretty awesome and it's hard to want to go back. A higher frame rate could make a game like Starfield with middling combat feel a lot better.
Absolutely it could, any game is better at 60 over 30 FPS. Having said that, combat isn't the highlight of Starfield, this is not a first person shooter.

For shooters, in modern gaming, 60 FPS is very important for those experiences.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Absolutely it could, any game is better at 60 over 30 FPS. Having said that, combat isn't the highlight of Starfield, this is not a first person shooter.

For shooters, in modern gaming, 60 FPS is very important for those experiences.
It is 100% a first-person shooter, even if it's an RPG above all else. Combat not being the highlight doesn't mean it never could be in a Bethesda game, What if ES6 came out and had top-of-the-line combat? That on top of it being a great RPG could make it one of the greatest games of all time instead of feeling like what others have said about this game - "just" another Bethesda game. I understand the rationale of why it's 30 FPS, but good God it feels like a slog.

It is 100% a first-person shooter, even if it's an RPG above all else.
No. Fallout isn't a first person shooter, it's an RPG with FPS elements. Same with System Shock 2. Same with Starfield. Halo Infinite is a first person shooter with open world elements. It's a mingling of genres. Nothing new to gaming.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
No. Fallout isn't a first person shooter, it's an RPG with FPS elements. Same with System Shock 2. Same with Starfield. Halo Infinite is a first person shooter with open world elements. It's a mingling of genres. Nothing new to gaming.
I don't see how that makes it not a first-person shooter. If someone called Halo Infinite an open-world game, I wouldn't correct them that it's a first person shooter. Obviously, Starfield is an RPG, I'm not treating it like it's built with FPS mechanics first, nor should it be an excuse to have mediocre combat. A game can have great combat and be an RPG still. It's like why people on this site want MK1 to have a story mode even though its not a narrative game first.

I don't see how that makes it not a first-person shooter. If someone called Halo Infinite an open-world game, I wouldn't correct them that it's a first person shooter. Obviously, Starfield is an RPG, I'm not treating it like it's built with FPS mechanics first, nor should it be an excuse to have mediocre combat. A game can have great combat and be an RPG still. It's like why people on this site want MK1 to have a story mode even though its not a narrative game first.
Again, it's a melding of genres. As I said, it's an RPG first and foremost, but with FPS elements. The combat sections play very differently than something like DOOM or Halo because it's not a proper FPS and was never intended to be.

Mortal Kombat 1 is fighting game first and foremost, but has narrative elements and now RPG elements in Invasions. It's not an RPG though.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos is a real time strategy game, but focuses on Heroes and has inventory management, RPG elements. Still, it's an RTS proper.

I'm not saying you can't expect/want combat to be better, but keep in mind that's not what the core of the game is about.