What's new

Starfield could be the best game I have ever played!

Again, it's a melding of genres. As I said, it's an RPG first and foremost, but with FPS elements. The combat sections play very differently than something like DOOM or Halo because it's not a proper FPS and was never intended to be.

Mortal Kombat 1 is fighting game first and foremost, but has narrative elements and now RPG elements in Invasions. It's not an RPG though.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos is a real time strategy game, but focuses on Heroes and has inventory management, RPG elements. Still, it's an RTS proper.

I'm not saying you can't expect/want combat to be better, but keep in mind that's not what the core of the game is about.
tbh i think the creative vision of starfield is an interactive, open world space opera movie. like everyone gets their own cinematic experience. there are of course some meaningful RPG mechanics working, but they dont feel like an end in themselves like in many RPGs. they rather guide the direction of which stories and parts of the world you will see and explore in YOUR story. you will have pretty different experiences depending if you level science skills or spaceship combat. well, at least on hardest difficulty, because opponents WILL bully you out of space if youre not skilled for it and you'll resort to planet exploration or grounded combat and join the fitting factions.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I think I'm about 15 hours in and even though there are aspects of the game I like, it just feels so far behind in so many ways.

• The NPC's are still Bethesda NPC's. Absolutely lifeless mannequins. Why is it that Witcher 3 (which is nearly a decade old at this point) can have NPC's with more personality and life than anyone in a 2023 Bethesda game? Could they at least change the way it looks when you interact with an NPC? Nope. Always just straight on, staring at you and not moving. You know....the way zero humans actually behave.
  • The inventory system sucks. It's fucking strange that a single dude in the modding community can make everything better in a 24 hour period after launch, yet Bethesda doesn't bother during the entire span of development.
  • This might also be inventory related, but could we maybe get a fucking short description of what I'm picking up when I loot someone/something? What the fuck is Solstice? Is it a consumable? Is it a weapon? Is it an intergalactic set of Ben-Wa balls? Who the fuck knows. It's just a word. Just pick it up anyway and then try to find it in your inventory to see what it is! How fun.
  • The maps. Jesus christ.....the maps. Hey, you've just landed on a planet with tiny little cities within it. Would you like to go to a certain vendor? Fuck you. Find it yourself. Oh....and after you find it, it still won't be marked on the map because FUCK YOU. It's supposed to be like....the year 2330 or something, right? Woudn't we all have devices with map overlays already in them that would do this for us?
  • When I get out of my ship, why is there no way to get around faster? Give me a speeder bike or something. Shit, give me a regular bike, I don't care. I already know the reasons. 1 - They will eventually add vehicles to a paid expansion. 2 - They don't want you to see how small certain areas actually are too easily and faster travel would allow that to happen easier.
  • The loading screens. Jesus jumped up christ, the loading screens. I don't even think I need to get into this one. They're everywhere and Bethesda has done nothing to try to mask them. It's just a straight up loading screen......every time you go anywhere or open any door.
Basically, I'm glad I was able to try the game for free on Game Pass. I am sure I'll revisit it at some point, but with MK1 releasing in a little over 24 hours, I can't see myself choosing to play Starfield over that anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong Starfield is fun to play, but I'm missing something in Starfield, something very important to me.

Immersion....

Just because the fact that you can't land nor take off manually. Once you discovered a place, and land, you just spawn infront of the base, instead of walking out of the ship.

Same with landing on random spots. You just select some ground, cut scene and voila, you are on a small piece of land. I don't even have the feeling that I landed exact on that planet, it could also just be a other one. I want flying with your ship in to the atmosphere, and while you are in the atmosphere, you can feel the whole ship respons different due the gravity. While flying you are searching for a nice spot. Suddenly you see a great spot and decide to land. Once landed, you pull on your suit and walk out your ship to start exploring. That would be so amazing, but no. All we got are cutscenes en just "spawn" somewhere.

Take off > cutscene. Warp to another planet > cutscene. Land on that planet > cutscene. This is flying in a nutshell.

The UI is also hideous, but thank god, the community fixed this problem.

It would be a game of the year in 2009, but as 2023 standards, this game feels very limited and doesn't really feel immersive. I mean, Mass Effect trilogy also didn't had it, while it's one of the best games ever. Yeah, but that was many years ago. Rumor goes that the engine Bethesda uses, is not ready for this kind of game.

Even though Star Citizen is in development, but that's the best immersive space game I ever played. But those awful performance issue's.

Last edited: