What's new

Sonya Kombos

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
Wow, thank you. I'm so stupid...I was either trying Forward Forward...or Forward up....thanks for the tip dude!
Well, it looks like I got you right. :p

I'm glad to help! And please, come back as soon as you're able to do the Jump Cancel, so you can post your new-found destructive combos here! :D

Oh, and ucrosh02, check your Inbox!

You guys are geniuses! I could not figure out how to do that MSC for anything. I would get maybe two reps but that was by sheer luck. Now I know it's UF,UF, this makes this combo still kinda difficult but I have a rhythm now. Thanks again guys:). Soon I'll post a "now I know what I'm doing" combo movie. :D

Also I have a pretty nifty reset for you. You can modify this any way you want I just practiced with the easiest combo I could think of which is " DK 21, cartwheel, 1, dash, 1,1 into whiffed arc kick! The opponent will have no idea which side your on and neither will you, which is why you should practice this one to see where you land. You will land a hair before they get up and from there you throw to open them up, or go into 2,1 MSC shenanigens.

Poto2222

Oh well, Sonya is being patched... My 66% combo and my newfound 69% went to hell, and so does Wonder_Chief's badass combo.

It looks like she won't be able to fit the Dive Kick in the same combo after :bp:fpxxMSJC...
I just hope they've reduced the quantity of hitstun frames of :bp:fp in order to remove the infinite, instead of removing the hability of jump canceling the Military Stance or making dive kick after MSJC blockable at any circumstance.
Geez, if she loses her :r:bp:bpxxMSJC~Dive Kick I'll be VERY pissed!

What do you guys do after an uppercut that sends them to the other side of you? Dash D1 DF3?

And what are you guys using for AA? I've been thinking MS B2.

What do you guys do after an uppercut that sends them to the other side of you? Dash D1 DF3?

For the AA I usually either keep it simple and uppercut, or use the arc kick if I can predict it early enough. There are probably better options, though.

Justice

Noob
I found a nice 4-hit for beginners that does 23% damage and can be swapped for a change up for unpredictability.

>2, <2, >4. That buffers the Leg Grab with 2 spinning backfist for the 4-hit.
>2, <2, >2. That buffers the Ring Toss with 2 spinning backfists for a 3-hit.

wEEman33

Noob
Dunno if this has been posted before, but an easy combo for a noob like me is:

B2, 1, F2, B2, 1, F2, uppercut -- 31%

That's my go-to combo with Sonya.

I guess you could add a dive kick to the beginning of it for more damage.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I'd hate it if this came up before, but I've been trying to play a little more Sonya lately, and her :l:bp:fp:r:bp, :l:bp:fp:r:bp, jump kick~air throw combo is giving me a bitch of a time.

I can always get the first rep of :l:bp:fp:r:bp to work, but the second one not so much. When it hits, it buffers a fireball instead of relaunching. But if I whiff the second rep it ALWAYS comes out properly. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a tip to avoid this issue? It's just really pissing me off. I wish so badly that fireball input was on another button. Haha.

Thanks.

I'd hate it if this came up before, but I've been trying to play a little more Sonya lately, and her :l:bp:fp:r:bp, :l:bp:fp:r:bp, jump kick~air throw combo is giving me a bitch of a time.

I can always get the first rep of :l:bp:fp:r:bp to work, but the second one not so much. When it hits, it buffers a fireball instead of relaunching. But if I whiff the second rep it ALWAYS comes out properly. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a tip to avoid this issue? It's just really pissing me off. I wish so badly that fireball input was on another button. Haha.

Thanks.
Hold back during that string untill the very moment you have to push forward or release back just after you press back punch and press forward kinda late. Works either way.

Poto2222

HOLY ***T, THEY REMOVED SONYA'S MILITARY STANCE JUMP CANCEL!

If it wasn't for Tom Brady's block trap discovery, we would still have it, and Sonya would be able to do 60%+ combos! I HATE YOU, TOM BRADY! :grr:

Ok, not really. :p
It was a necessary fix. But I'll miss her Military Stance Jump Cancel really bad, though. :(
Well, now all she can do is 53% midscreen and 56% in the corner... =/

After the uppercut I just usually Dasha and :d:bk twice in order to confuse the opponent. I really never worked on such setup, since this situation doesn't happen too much.

As for AA, Arc Kick and Uppercut. Her Arc Kick has a great range, and her uppercut is hella fast so it's really useful.
MS :l:bp is just kinda slow. I don't like to use it in any situation besides within a combo. And sometimes, when your opponent is close to you in the air, her forward step for the :l:bp will make Sonya miss the attack and you'll end on the opposite side. And then, you're screwed! xD

How do you combo dive kick into Xray? I can only seem to get it randomly ...
Well, you can't just Dive Kick and do the X-Ray. You must hit your opponent with a normal attack after the Dive Kick first. I suggest you to use the :bp:fp+any followup combo, since it's the most effective after the Dive Kick.
Fact is that you must press :bp or any other attack button you want IMMEDIATELY after doing the Dive Kick. Don't wait for hit confirmation. Just do it! LOL
If you don't press the following buttons quickly enough, you won't get a combo at all.

Thanks.
You're pressing :r too soon. I believe that the best way to do it right in your case is to follow TheFluke's first suggestion. Just keep holding :l until you have to press :r:bp and you'll be fine.

Any information regarding patch changes for Sonya? Looking to pick her up and would like to know what I should learn that isn't gone or being removed (Stance cancel)

Poto2222

Any information regarding patch changes for Sonya? Looking to pick her up and would like to know what I should learn that isn't gone or being removed (Stance cancel)
Well, I really haven't noticed any other difference besides her Military Stance cancels. You're still able to do it, but no as fast as before. The Military Stance is "uncancelable" (does this word exists? :p) using a dash or jump for at least 0.75 second (or so) after it has started, but you can do any MS attack normaly during that time.

Well, I really haven't noticed any other difference besides her Military Stance cancels. You're still able to do it, but no as fast as before. The Military Stance is "uncancelable" (does this word exists? :p) using a dash or jump for at least 0.75 second (or so) after it has started, but you can do any MS attack normaly during that time.
So can we still link and continue certain combos with a MS x dive kick? I haven't gotten em down good enough to test yet, feel the cancel is a must for high level play?

Poto2222

So can we still link and continue certain combos with a MS x dive kick? I haven't gotten em down good enough to test yet, feel the cancel is a must for high level play?
You can still do the MS, jump cancel it and then Dive Kick, but you can't link this within a combo since the Jump Cancel can't be done as fast as it was before.

FordCruller

Kombatant
I came up with a 46% meterless corner combo. I did record a video of it, but Youtube's uploader is acting up so here's the inputs for now;

jump in punch, b2, 1, f2, neutral jump punch, kiss, b2, 1, cartwheel, b2, 1, leg grab

If you EX leg grab it's 49%. Also, this combo is possible midscreen as well, it's just that after you land the neutral jump punch you have to take a step forward before you do the kiss. Not dash, but literally a step forward. The timing is tough, but it is possible. It's just a lot more practical to use in the corner I realize, but just figured I'd share. I hope to have the video up soon.

Jermball

Noob
42% meterless. I think this combo is a good practical bnb. I'm sorry if this has already been posted. I read around and see that sonya has bigger damage. I tried to come up with a high damage combo, that does not require extreme execution precision. hope you guys like.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Sonya's 45% Midscreen Combo with two Enhance Bars used:

Sonya's 48% Wall Combo with X-ray included:

Sonya's 48% Wall Combo with two Enhance Bars used:

Sonya's 50% Wall Combo with X-ray included: