What's new

Should you gain meter when blocking attacks?

Gain meter when blocking attacks?

• Yes.

Votes: 74 61.2%
  • No.

Votes: 47 38.8%

• Total voters

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
if it was a very small amount of meter I don't see why not. Sometimes for slow clunky characters only option may be to armor out of a corner to escape all those mix ups. But I'm a scrubby online player so no one should really take me seriously anyways.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
As OP said, if it's a small amount, less than rushdown chip meter, I don't see a problem at all. I mean I really think people with a voice need to petition for better defense in the next big patch when they do KP2. Some things make absolutely no sense.

-Why are block breakers useless?
-Why does backdash drain half of your stamina, but forward dash is free and run drains slower?
-Why are AA's so weak compared to Ji normals?
-Why are their so many "I have to get out of this pressure" situations compared to the neutral or zoning?
-Why are grabs so stupid?
-Why are most of the offensive characters Top Tier?

These are questions people who have a big voice should be asking. It would make a better all around game if the defense itself was significantly brought up to speed with the offense. Not saying "all" need to be changed, but at least some of them should be addressed for offense/defense balance. Whether you agree or disagree, if bigger changes were made to defense the OP wouldn't be necessary to suggest in the first place.

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
why does the attacker get both advantage on block with certain moves plus meter and if the player on defense is correctly blocking the 50/50's they get zero meter it literally makes no sense. It makes the entire game based off of pressure when blocking strings is 10x harder and should be rewarded. So if I have no meter and im on the defensive even if I block every attack that my opponent throws at me, i've built zero meter and they've built up to a bar so now I have to deal with an armored attack or another enhanced 50/50 which if I block all over again leaves me still without a single bar of meter. That makes no sense an should be the complete opposite.

It's basically like a 1 on 1 game of basketball, should the ball go to the person who just made the last shot or to the person who just got scored on. By hitting me while im blocking your scoring on me for 2 reasons, 1 being the chip, 2 being the meter build.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It's basically like a 1 on 1 game of basketball, should the ball go to the person who just made the last shot or to the person who just got scored on. By hitting me while im blocking your scoring on me for 2 reasons, 1 being the chip, 2 being the meter build.
To take your example one step further, I watched the football game last night.

It would be getting flagged for a 10 yard penalty for reading out the play and stopping a run behind the line of scrimmage.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
These are 2 changes that i'd do to make defense better (viable)

1. Buff backdashes. There's no point in wasting stamina on a backdash if your backdash is shit

2. Block breakers shouldnt cost so many resources. It should only cost 1 bar of meter (i'd be fine with it still costing full stamina but with slightly less cool down on stamina regen, but idk if that would be too much)

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
I think that it would put alot ppl off using characters that have RC'ing pressure. Why go to all the trouble of learning RC if it rewards your opponent?

I for 1 have no quams about being beaten by some1 that has put time & effort into learning RC, block strings & mix ups & I don't think I should be rewarded for blocking them either.

Now it would be cool if I gained an Xray for everytime I blocked a jip 50\50 attempt B)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Do people want Quan to dominate this game?

In theory this sounds nice but in practice it would actually just help the higher tiers beat the lower tiers more. A lot of characters rely on blockstring presssure in order to get anything going, if their opponent is gaining meter while blocking then they will be able to get an armored reversal out more easily.

If you want better defense tell NRS to buff backdashes(make all characters like Kano's). Backdashes suck lol.
My suggestion for buffing defense would be invincible frames on wakeups. No more run up after knockdown into easy wakeup killing moves. Gotta think about throwing that shit out.

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Why? If a player uses bar, they used the bar. Why should the get that back?
...because then, the breaking player is getting out of the damage for sacrificing the same amount of bar the offensive player spent to get it - but he didn't get it.

Why reward someone for getting caught in a combo and getting out for free?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
They did invincible wakeups in the last 2 games and most of you complained about them
Not me.

Your reward is the combo damage and advantage from the knockdown. No need for more free attacking. And it's not like they are some end all be all if they have some invincibility. You can read and block and blow them up.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Not me.

Your reward is the combo damage and advantage from the knockdown. No need for more free attacking. And it's not like they are some end all be all if they have some invincibility. You can read and block and blow them up.
Ever since I came to this site for Injustice, all I've heard was "wakeups are broken" "you can't oki people in these games" "I should be rewarded for a knockdown". NRS listened, then more complaints came about, same with zoning, and breakers.

Defensive buffs I'm fine with. I'm fine with any mechanic in a game in general.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Ever since I came to this site for Injustice, all I've heard was "wakeups are broken" "you can't oki people in these games" "I should be rewarded for a knockdown". NRS listened, then more complaints came about, same with zoning, and breakers.

Defensive buffs I'm fine with. I'm fine with any mechanic in a game in general.
The problem there is... in MKX, now you can have your (braindead imo) oki after knockdown where the opponent can attempt to wakeup and be blown up or they can try to guess your 50/50. BUT if they happen to guess right, most of the time it doesn't matter b/c... lolol safe!!!

The game is way too rewarding to the aggressor.

but whatever,

*insert kermit here*

Last edited:

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Award meter every time you block an overhead or low attack, or evade/tech a grab. Defensive players should be rewarded at least a tiny bit for knowing their shit.
I like your suggestions, but what would the % of meter be if you succeed in blocking or teching?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
My suggestion for buffing defense would be invincible frames on wakeups. No more run up after knockdown into easy wakeup killing moves. Gotta think about throwing that shit out.
Fuck that. Invincible wakeups were one of the worst parts about Injustice. Plus top tier characters have the best wakeups so it would benefit them more.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Fuck that. Invincible wakeups were one of the worst parts about Injustice. Plus top tier characters have the best wakeups so it would benefit them more.
lol, cause you can't just block on wakeup and blow them up.

Too hard. Let's keep everything nice and simple. Mash buttons to win.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
They did invincible wakeups in the last 2 games and most of you complained about them
I think the problem with that in injustice (and still do in MKx), is that even though traditionally if I scored a knockdown I would be at advantage. But in MKx if I get hit by a wakeup I'm taking around the same bnb damage as if we were on the same footing. I wouldn't care if there was an invincible wakeup but it only allowed ~1/3 of normal bnb damage. That's not exact but make it where most of the reward for waking up is that I'm off you. Not that plus damage plus whatever oki I'm in.