What's new

General/Other - Shirai Ryu Shirai Ryu General Discussion Thread

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
okay so its seeming like every armored high reversal the same thing happens.. i just tried with it with Jaxs ex dash punch, johhny ex shadow kick, jacqui's ex dash and few others and it is seeming to always just pass through each other... but they still get the damage deducted. and we get nothing.

now i dont see this being useful as it still looks like we fall victim to the 55 recovery frames ( i think - ill have to test again) but its looking like we take zero damage while they take 7.75% ( if my math is correct) ( b21 = (2)0.75% on block + (2+4) 6.25% for hit = 7.75%)

ATIWAB

Noob
okay so its seeming like every armored high reversal the same thing happens.. i just tried with it with Jaxs ex dash punch, johhny ex shadow kick, jacqui's ex dash and few others and it is seeming to always just pass through each other... but they still get the damage deducted. and we get nothing.

now i dont see this being useful as it still looks like we fall victim to the 55 recovery frames ( i think - ill have to test again) but its looking like we take zero damage while they take 7.75% ( if my math is correct) ( b21 = (2)0.75% on block + (2+4) 6.25% for hit = 7.75%)
I've done this by accident against LK, you mean this?

ATIWAB

Noob
The funny thing about doing it to LK is that even with the long recovery, his whiff recovery on Bicycle Kick is longer, so you can full combo him with another B21 as soon as your recovery is over and he'll still be recovering from kick.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
The funny thing about doing it to LK is that even with the long recovery, his whiff recovery on Bicycle Kick is longer, so you can full combo him with another B21 as soon as your recovery is over and he'll still be recovering from kick.

yeah thats what im talking about..

and that makes sense.. for some reason i was thinking that it would register the opponents data as a hit but i guess they would pretty much be in recovery frames also .

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
Some quick notes after a long training session (xx = canceled into):

1. Hard knockdowns from Tornado Strike grant so much advantage that you can place Enhanced Kunais and bait Enhanced Spin from Lao (haven't tested versus Reptile Slide), so you can use F112+4(1 hit)xxTeleport > NJP > J3xxTornado Strike (25%) and then go from there. Either they go for the armored reversals and then get baited out for a full combo or they respect you and have to take the incoming pressure with a hard to block mix up added on top with B21 (if they do hit you out of B21 you can just let the kunais go off and they take about 10 to 14% damage so not a bad trade off).

2. B11xxClose Kunai can be finicky. At times it will be a true blockstring but only at a certain distance away from the opponent or it can be straight up random sometimes. However if you do manage to get it consistently you get to mix it up with B112, B11xxEnhanced Kunai, B11xxTele Feint etc. B112 being -9 now makes it very hard to punish unless you have a forward advancing special and even then it won't guarantee that you hit Takeda if spaced at the right distance.

3. If you swap out J3 with J4 in the above combo and hit it just a bit later than usual to then cancel into Tornado Strike you'll have Takeda land just on top of the opponent, this could lead to a potential safe jump set ups or even reversed inputs for the opponent, will look into it.

I'll have some video examples on all this Sunday so stay tuned till then.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
Some quick notes after a long training session (xx = canceled into):

1. Hard knockdowns from Tornado Strike grant so much advantage that you can place Enhanced Kunais and bait Enhanced Spin from Lao (haven't tested versus Reptile Slide), so you can use F112+4(1 hit)xxTeleport > NJP > J3xxTornado Strike (25%) and then go from there. Either they go for the armored reversals and then get baited out for a full combo or they respect you and have to take the incoming pressure with a hard to block mix up added on top with B21 (if they do hit you out of B21 you can just let the kunais go off and they take about 10 to 14% damage so not a bad trade off).

2. B11xxClose Kunai can be finicky. At times it will be a true blockstring but only at a certain distance away from the opponent or it can be straight up random sometimes. However if you do manage to get it consistently you get to mix it up with B112, B11xxEnhanced Kunai, B11xxTele Feint etc. B112 being -9 now makes it very hard to punish unless you have a forward advancing special and even then it won't guarantee that you hit Takeda if spaced at the right distance.

3. If you swap out J3 with J4 in the above combo and hit it just a bit later than usual to then cancel into Tornado Strike you'll have Takeda land just on top of the opponent, this could lead to a potential safe jump set ups or even reversed inputs for the opponent, will look into it.

I'll have some video examples on all this Sunday so stay tuned till then.

so , where's ur videos bro cant wait to see them

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
Hey guys, finally had time to make some of those mid kunai Shirai Ryu combo videos.

Compared to my original BNBs (which were based on mid tele combos) the differences in damage % are negligible. 1% more (or less) on each combo depending on which mid you decide on (mid tele or mid kunai).

Perhaps the most important note to take from these findings is that mid kunai combos (meterless and 1 bar) have the opponent end on the same side of the screen that the combo started on whereas mid tele combos have them end on the opposite side of the screen. (It would be reverse for 2 bar combos)

This is important because not only do these new combos dish out just as much damage as my original BNBs (give or take 1%), but now I have the choice (mid combo) to decide which side of the screen I want my opponent to end at without taking a hit on damage % by having to do a completely different combo from the beginning...

I show one of my original BNB mid tele combos in the first video for comparison sake. Every other video is mid kunai as that is what this post is placing emphasis on...

One last note: Any of the 1 bars shown can easily be converted to 2 bar for more damage by ending in EX Spear Ryu followed by (insert your favorite combo ender here).

--------------------------------------------------

Takeda (Shirai Ryu) JIP Starter 52% (2 Bar) (Mid Tele)

JIP 4 4 EX Fist Flurry B2 Quick Phase 112 EX Spear Ryu Run Cancel B21 Spear Ryu

Takeda (Shirai Ryu) JIP Starter 51% (2 Bar) (Mid Kunai)

JIP 4 4 EX Fist Flurry B2 Kunai (Close) F12 2+4 EX Spear Ryu Run Cancel B21 Spear Ryu

Takeda (Shirai Ryu) JIP Starter 44% (1 Bar) (Mid Kunai)

JIP 4 4 EX Fist Flurry B2 Kunai (Close) F12 2+4 Spear Ryu

Takeda (Shirai Ryu) Overhead Starter 40% (1 Bar) (Mid Kunai)

B21 EX Fist Flurry B2 Kunai (Close) F12 2+4 Spear Ryu

Takeda (Shirai Ryu) Low Starter 39% (1 Bar) (Mid Kunai)

B3 EX Fist Flurry B2 Kunai (Close) F12 2+4 Spear Ryu

Takeda (Shirai Ryu) NJP Starter 36% (1 Bar) (Mid Kunai)

NJP B2 Kunai (Close) F12 2+4 EX Spear Ryu Run Cancel B21 Spear Ryu

Takeda (Shirai Ryu) NJP Starter 29% (Meterless) (Mid Kunai)

NJP B2 Kunai (Close) F12 2+4 Spear Ryu

Last edited:

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
To clarify on the prior kunai combos I just posted, after most air launchers both Shirai Ryu and Lasher can use B2 Kunai (Close) to continue the combo..

And you are not solely limited to F1(2) 2+4 after the Kunai. Depending on the spacing/timing you can use any of the following:

F1(2) 2+4
F21
D1

Successful Air Launchers
Shirai Ryu:
NJP
EX Fist Flurry
EX Tornado Strike (requires Run Cancel before the B2)
EX Spear Ryu (requires Run Cancel before the B2)
EX Air Spear (after Air Spear do a NJP followed by the B2)
EX Kunai (requires holding Kunais until you run cancel into B2 after pushing the opponent past the 2nd kunai)

Lasher:
NJP
EX Whip Assault
EX Whip Trip (after Whip Trip do a NJP followed by the B2)
EX Kunai (requires holding Kunais until you run cancel into B2 after pushing the opponent past the 2nd kunai)

To clarify on the prior kunai combos I just posted, after most air launchers both Shirai Ryu and Lasher can use B2 Kunai (Close) to continue the combo..

And you are not solely limited to F1(2) 2+4 after the Kunai. Depending on the spacing/timing you can use any of the following:

F1(2) 2+4
F21
D1

Successful Air Launchers
Shirai Ryu:
NJP
EX Fist Flurry
EX Spear Ryu (requires Run Cancel before the B2)
EX Air Spear (after Air Spear do a NJP followed by the B2)

Lasher:
NJP
EX Whip Assault
EX Whip Trip (after Whip Trip do a NJP followed by the B2)
Looks like I m pretty late to the party good find I didn t know we could combos after close kunai

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
wwhat is that does it work on every stage?

only this specific one cuase of the pillar. i dont think any other stage has one like this.. its not practical at all but i seen a few other characters doing this since that kung lao video dropped and figured id play around with it.. i have a few more that ill post prob tomorrow XD

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Curious on something that I thought I'd hit up the pro Takedas and see what you all thought.

I'm thinking of putting together a little training regiment for myself, to practice with on occasion. I'm thinking of picking up a little SR Takeda, but its difficult to know where to get started.

II have a metered and meterless midscreen combo to practice,

F12 2+4 xx tele xx 44 xx spear (or 33 xx flurry for hkd right?) . I omit the NJP. It's inconsistent for me right now. 26-28%

B21 xx ExKunai xx Tele xx 44 xx Spear (or 33 xx flurry for hkd right?) Again, I omit the njp. 36-38%

And an Air to Air:

Jik xx Tele xx 4 xx Spear (haven't messed around with this much, so don't know.about subbing for Flurry ender for hkd)

Now, this leaves me some gaps I'm hoping you all can help me fill. Specifically, I need some advice on corner combos and armored conversions. Takeda would ExFlurry for armor right? I'd like to have a good conversion to practice off that opener, and finally, useful and dirty ExKunai setups..

More than anything I'm just trying to build aa little training regiment for Takeda that is as comprehensive as I can get it. I can't play online and I rarely get a chance to play offline, so I have to pack as much into my lab work as possible.

If any experienced Takeda's want to chime in and recommend things to add to the training regiment I'm putting together I'd appreciate it.

I've always loved Takeda and tried to main him not long after release but almost immediately lost the ability to play the game at all due to a patch breaking the PC version, I'm thinking of revisiting him now after seeing some of the incredible play from guys like St9rm, and just what a high level Takeda is capable of.

Thanks folks.

Curious on something that I thought I'd hit up the pro Takedas and see what you all thought.

I'm thinking of putting together a little training regiment for myself, to practice with on occasion. I'm thinking of picking up a little SR Takeda, but its difficult to know where to get started.

II have a metered and meterless midscreen combo to practice,

F12 2+4 xx tele xx 44 xx spear (or 33 xx flurry for hkd right?) . I omit the NJP. It's inconsistent for me right now. 26-28%

B21 xx ExKunai xx Tele xx 44 xx Spear (or 33 xx flurry for hkd right?) Again, I omit the njp. 36-38%

And an Air to Air:

Jik xx Tele xx 4 xx Spear (haven't messed around with this much, so don't know.about subbing for Flurry ender for hkd)

Now, this leaves me some gaps I'm hoping you all can help me fill. Specifically, I need some advice on corner combos and armored conversions. Takeda would ExFlurry for armor right? I'd like to have a good conversion to practice off that opener, and finally, useful and dirty ExKunai setups..

More than anything I'm just trying to build aa little training regiment for Takeda that is as comprehensive as I can get it. I can't play online and I rarely get a chance to play offline, so I have to pack as much into my lab work as possible.

If any experienced Takeda's want to chime in and recommend things to add to the training regiment I'm putting together I'd appreciate it.

I've always loved Takeda and tried to main him not long after release but almost immediately lost the ability to play the game at all due to a patch breaking the PC version, I'm thinking of revisiting him now after seeing some of the incredible play from guys like St9rm, and just what a high level Takeda is capable of.

Thanks folks.
ex flurry fist xx b21 xx Tele xx 33 xx Spear 34%
Air to air
Jink xx Tele xx f21 xx Spear 26%
Corner
b21 xx Ex Kunai xx 112 xx Ex flurry fist xx njp xx Jip or jik xx 44 xx spear 44% 2 bars
To end round with hard to block do a low kunai then Jik
Also If your opponent tend to armor throught the gap of moves like b21 you can use those strings to bait the armor teleport cancel and punish