What's new

Strategy "Shazam!" -- Captain Marvel General Discussion Thread

TimTim

Don't Hate
duck and it will whiff over you. If the shazam player knows what they are doing, they will start using the low version (AC) which you need to stand up to make whiff. This is the 50/50 mixup
Ok got it now. I knew he had the high low mixup but this seemed unblockable lol.

Shawi

Noob
Yeah thats the one. If you whiff however, it is full combo punishable. It is a risk reward with a high risk and moderate reward.

Little more information on the corpse hop. It looks like his teleport is what allows you to do it. I was messing around with this earlier and really excited to put this into his gameplay. The double corpse hop is especially confusing, and sets up perfect range for a grab. I think this will be useful to mess up opponents wakeup attacks because you'll be on a different side.

Post up what you guys can work with this!

(forgot to show in the video, after you teleport > knockdown > corpse hop, it won't let you do it after another knockdown unless you teleported.

EGP Wonder_Chef found some tech with Shazam (possibly universal, might be just a few characters or just Shazam) involving punishing after a throw tech.

Gonna hit the lab and see who else can do this.

EDIT: Shazam can punish everyone's throw attempts like this. Everyone else is either at negative or even frames upon throw break. The only character that is remotely advantageous is Joker, being able to jump 3 immediately after throw break (it doesn't hit, but its something he uses to start the pressure so yeah)

dust.

Noob
So is it just me or does it become exponentially harder to land Shazam's Herculean Might mid combo as opposed to just throwing it out raw? And I'm talking about online play here. I can only get it like once every ten tries or so online. Annoying as hell...

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
I'm reposting this here in hopes of getting some answers:

I like how Shazam plays thats why I chose to main him despite what other people say. But I do have some concerns regarding some of his moves, especially teleport and his torpedo.

Teleport:
Teleport needs to go through projectiles..at this point I think its pretty much useless unless you just want to close in on space. But I can just close in with dash...so dont really know what uses his teleport has at this moment.

Torpedo:
Torpedo regular is fine..but his meter burn should go through projectiles.

Bolt of Zeus [Projectile]:
His projectile meter burned is pretty useless too IMO...start up is WAY TOO SLOW. If you want to go full screen fireball fights its definitely best not to use the meter burn unless you want to get pegged to death. So whats the meter burn projectile used for? Shit is too slow...

Hope someone can address my concerns lol.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I wish he had an MB version of his teleport (maybe 2 teleports in a row when you meterburn you press back to either teleport forward and then back or hold forward to do two teleport hops forward). An air torpedo would be nice as well. Regardless without this stuff hes still a solid character. I feel like he is competitive with the whole cast when you can get him to snowball correctly.

^ What do you think boys, too much? ^

dust.

Noob
You know it is pretty stupid that his MB bolt is slower than his regular one. I mean I get that it does more damage, chip, and hits crouching but why would they make it that much slower?

Sneak

Noob
I'm reposting this here in hopes of getting some answers:

I like how Shazam plays thats why I chose to main him despite what other people say. But I do have some concerns regarding some of his moves, especially teleport and his torpedo.

Teleport:
Teleport needs to go through projectiles..at this point I think its pretty much useless unless you just want to close in on space. But I can just close in with dash...so dont really know what uses his teleport has at this moment.

Torpedo:
Torpedo regular is fine..but his meter burn should go through projectiles.

Bolt of Zeus [Projectile]:
His projectile meter burned is pretty useless too IMO...start up is WAY TOO SLOW. If you want to go full screen fireball fights its definitely best not to use the meter burn unless you want to get pegged to death. So whats the meter burn projectile used for? Shit is too slow...

Hope someone can address my concerns lol.
Teleport does goes through projectiles but you have to make a read. The start up is too slow to do on reaction unless its vs certain projectiles full screen. You can dodge interacables with the teleport as well. Meter burn torpedo without having to be on hit would be nice but you still get a free setup from the way the mb torpedo is now. Bolt of zeus does 5 percent chip which is really good. Even though the start up is slow its pretty good vs jump ins. Can you imagine if it was fast? You could spend all your meter for 20% chip which would be kinda op.

dust.

Noob
Teleport does goes through projectiles but you have to make a read. The start up is too slow to do on reaction unless its vs certain projectiles full screen. You can dodge interacables with the teleport as well. Meter burn torpedo without having to be on hit would be nice but you still get a free setup from the way the mb torpedo is now. Bolt of zeus does 5 percent chip which is really good. Even though the start up is slow its pretty good vs jump ins. Can you imagine if it was fast? You could spend all your meter for 20% chip which would be kinda op.
No it would not be op. Shazam needs to use meter to get any decent damage on his bnb's anyway so when would he have enough to take 20% chip out at once. Also, the bolt can easily be avoided.

Sneak

Noob
No it would not be op. Shazam needs to use meter to get any decent damage on his bnb's anyway so when would he have enough to take 20% chip out at once. Also, the bolt can easily be avoided.
That's like saying you will have no meter to ever counter a wager, which I'm sure you have. That was also imagining if the move was fast. If it was fast I doubt it would be easily avoided.

dust.

Noob
That's like saying you will have no meter to ever counter a wager, which I'm sure you have. That was also imagining if the move was fast. If it was fast I doubt it would be easily avoided.
Not fast, but at least the same speed as his regular projectile, which is not fast by any means.

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
So the only real useful uses for MB bolts is for chip damage? I'd rather have lesser damage/chip damage for a faster start up to make it useful for 'fireball fights' and combo extension.

Cant chip someone out if they can throw a projectile that will hit before the MB bolts come out lol.

dust.

Noob
When has a grappler ever been able to have a fireball fight in any game tho?
I wouldn't even consider Shazam a grappler. Sure he has command throws but he has no anti-air throw and his throws can be completely avoided depending on how you block. They're more like a low/overhead mixup.

The bolt should not even be used in fireball fights since it isn't even that good at all. It should just be another tool in his arsenal, like Nemesis' rocket launcher in UMVC3.

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
Shazams projectile is very useful against joker.
The meter burn projectile? If yes, can you elaborate? The question isnt whether his projectile is good or not, its whether his MB projectile is useful or not. Please dont tell me to chip lol.
IMO, at this point his regular projectile is better than the MB projectile.

NMISM-Grinch

Skrull Queen Pleaser
Finally got registered, should have checked my spam folder sooner :)

Hello fellow Billy Badasses!

With the current topic of MB Lighting Bolt, it's awesome in some matchups, not so great in others. My friend was telling me just yesterday the thing he hates most about it other then the crazy damage it does, is the slower startup. He said he gets used to the timing of the regular bolt, and then gets all messed up when the MB version comes out. I think it's an important tool for those characters you don't want to be close to, like the true grapplers of the game.

His teleport is interesting, properly timed, it can avoid just about every attack in the game(even some supers). Also, as stated previously, it builds a ton of meter! Being able to cancel his normals into his teleport also makes for some interesting games.

When do you guys try to set up using his Trait? I like to go into it after I hit someone with a naked b2, but other then that I just sort of do it anytime it's available to me when I feel i won't get punished for activating it. Even if I'm fullscreen, I feel it's better to have it active, as i haven't found a way to combo into it, starting to think there isn't a way.

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
NMISM-Grinch ,
His teleport is interesting, properly timed, it can avoid just about every attack in the game(even some supers).
Thats the thing..like someone mentioned above, its almost like a read to properly time it. Would rather have a teleport that I can use on reaction rather than a read...its almost as if his teleport is a gamble.

Not to mention how horrible it is on wake up..almost useless on wake up.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
The meter burn projectile? If yes, can you elaborate? The question isnt whether his projectile is good or not, its whether his MB projectile is useful or not. Please dont tell me to chip lol.
IMO, at this point his regular projectile is better than the MB projectile.
normal projectile, cause he ducks a bit when throwing it. mb projectile?..... just save the meter.

teleport is for metagame, it is useful.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Meter burn projectile is good if you understand the point. The point is to throw something with a timing they didn't expect... usually to win the round, if you are far enough away, and if youve got spare meter. Its very situational but it has its purpose. A similar delay situation works with freddy in mk, if you mix in a nightmare stance then throw the glove. Why would you do that it takes longer? It creates a situation that can throw off their timing, cause them to stagger and get them to end up blocking it rather than jumping over, or even better, catch some people trying to jump the regular one in which case they jump right into it. Its a mixup and it is good if you can catch someone offguard. Its not meant to go back and forth in a fire fight. Its not even meant to trade. Its super situational but it does what it needs to do.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

Johnny2d

Teleport is good too. Situational, and needs to be used with intent rather than at random, but it does what it needs to do. Shazam doesn't have any safe spammable stuff, his stuff has to be used in mixups. One of the mixips he has with teleport is to end combos early by canceling to tele. You can put yourself on either side of them that you want based on what normal you cancel into tele so you can use it to get them closer to the corner. This creates situations like smoke ending combos in tele. Its also good for going through projectiles on read. And if spaced and timed well you can do two teleports, one to get close, the second to get behind them. No his teleport isn't as good as raiden, but what it does do is still a lot. Rather than focusing on what you want it to be, there are plenty of things that it does do that are really good.

Johnny2d

Little more information on the corpse hop. It looks like his teleport is what allows you to do it. I was messing around with this earlier and really excited to put this into his gameplay. The double corpse hop is especially confusing, and sets up perfect range for a grab. I think this will be useful to mess up opponents wakeup attacks because you'll be on a different side.

Post up what you guys can work with this!

(forgot to show in the video, after you teleport > knockdown > corpse hop, it won't let you do it after another knockdown unless you teleported.
Yup, and if you end your combo in teleport you can crossover them again while they are grounded, then jump back over them for a crossup, reversing their inputs 3 times lol.