What's new

Question Shazam Buffs?

Shawi

Noob
What do you guys think Shazam needs to become a top tier character?
I think his teleport needs to have a start up of 1-5 frames to give him a solid wakeup and that will allow him to at least stand chance against solid zoners. Discuss...

i made a thread like this earlier and i basically said the same thing. his wakeup has no invincibility and i find myself always getting stuffed ON WAKEUP which is absolutely crazy seeing as though his teleport is his best move to get in and to get out of pressure but its so slow on startup its almost useless unless your timing is perfect. other then that he is at worst mid to high mid tier character. he juat has trouble (as do alot of characters that have to get in to do work) with zoners. if he had a better teleport i wouldnt be surprised if he was top 5

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
I'm so sick of these threads. You know what Shazam needs to be a top tier character? Someone to put the time into him to know matchups cold, make good reads, recognize potential options, and show up to a tournament and utilize all of these things better than other people doing the same with other characters.

"Tiers" are determined by high level play over a long period of time, not generalized speculation over a short period of time.

Yeah, his wakeup options aren't great. Pressure isn't that great in this game either in comparison to MK. Don't get knocked down a bunch. You know who had bad wakeups in MK9? Cyrax. I'm not saying that Shazam should have 90% bnb resets, but his insane mixups and momentum come at a price, which is fine. /endrant

Constructive Criticism: Get up blocking, or even better, know your opponent's options when you are knocked down and act accordingly. Shazam is one of the few characters in the game with outstanding counterpoke potential due to a 6 frame d1 that's plus on block.

Universal tactics: If your opponent does fast pokes/specials pressure on wakeup, just block it. Most fast pokes in this game cannot lead to insane block pressure, and for the ones that do you need to learn the gaps in the strings and react accordingly. If your opponent is doing slower moves that start good pressure, you have enough time to armor a b3/f3/environmental.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
What he said ^ But if I had to give him anything Id say invincibility on his teleport for wake up, and either make the strings that involve his fists better or have his trait be effected by his whole body

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
a single AA option. that will make him break bottom 5
a2a them with j2, dash backwards and whiff punish, armor a b3/interactable, or acknowledge the fact that other characters are allowed to have pressure too (and acknowledge that you will get an opportunity to start yours too and that it is probably better).

Give him a jumping Atlas Torpedo, faster start-up on teleport, Atlas Torpedo active frames invulnerable to projectiles, a meter burn teleport that tracks behind the opponent, trait activation like Black Adam's, instant recovery on his Zeus Bolt allowing for cross-ups with teleport, full screen hitboxes on his command grabs, 3 clashes, winning the round gives him full meter, infinite trait, and a taunt.
But yeah, an AA command grab and viable wakeup would be pretty cool too.
Edit: And an air dash would be sick.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
change b1 to mid + more range
and
make his trait remove his hood instead of power up.

edited*

RoGE

Noob
Faster teleport, faster trait activation, b23 neutral on block, d1xxHM combos, and maybe some faster normals.

Can't really say anything about tier placements. It hasn't even been a full month since the game came out.
a faster teleport would be too good but I agree with everything else. I'd like his lightning bolt to come out a little faster as well.

JLG

Noob
He needs a top tier player to MAIN him. A top tier player that goes to a lot of major tournaments and places in the top often.
That's not going to make Shazam top tier, which is what Shawi asked about. If a Shazam wins a major, it's going to be because the player was just that damned good.

If I could change something about Shazam it would have to do either with Anti-air or his teleport.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Characters being able to punish the gaps in his strings is starting to make me nervous. But we'll have to wait and see how everything evolves. Having cancel advantage data would help know for sure.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I really don't think he needs a lot. Just make teleport have a very tiny bit of extra invincibility, a tad less startup on trait and get rid of the gaps in his strings. His strings are already 50-50's that are completely punishable if you guess wrong. He doesn't need to eat a reversal every time he does the string.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Funny how I got confused, though it is a great idea. When in training mode with his trait active, punches are labeled as unblockables. What if his trait did just that? All his punching attacks are highs, jip 3 is only a punch attack and leads to little damage. B2 is also affected, but it can be removed via patch.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Funny how I got confused, though it is a great idea. When in training mode with his trait active, punches are labeled as unblockables. What if his trait did just that? All his punching attacks are highs, jip 3 is only a punch attack and leads to little damage. B2 is also affected, but it can be removed via patch.
It used to be before the day one patch, they never fixed it in training mode lol.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I'm so sick of these threads. You know what Shazam needs to be a top tier character? Someone to put the time into him to know matchups cold, make good reads, recognize potential options, and show up to a tournament and utilize all of these things better than other people doing the same with other characters.

"Tiers" are determined by high level play over a long period of time, not generalized speculation over a short period of time.

Yeah, his wakeup options aren't great. Pressure isn't that great in this game either in comparison to MK. Don't get knocked down a bunch. You know who had bad wakeups in MK9? Cyrax. I'm not saying that Shazam should have 90% bnb resets, but his insane mixups and momentum come at a price, which is fine. /endrant

Constructive Criticism: Get up blocking, or even better, know your opponent's options when you are knocked down and act accordingly. Shazam is one of the few characters in the game with outstanding counterpoke potential due to a 6 frame d1 that's plus on block.

Universal tactics: If your opponent does fast pokes/specials pressure on wakeup, just block it. Most fast pokes in this game cannot lead to insane block pressure, and for the ones that do you need to learn the gaps in the strings and react accordingly. If your opponent is doing slower moves that start good pressure, you have enough time to armor a b3/f3/environmental.
Cyrax had some decent wakeups though..