What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Scorpion General Discussion

Which variation do you use the most?

• Total voters

Con

Noob
I've been lurking for awhile now and I appreciate how much work you guys have put into this, so I just made my account to post this.

Now my main problem that I'm finding myself in online is that when I do the whole blockstring it seems that if they block the 2 and then it connects on let's say the 1 of the 214xxFBC I just can't convert it into the BnB, I always just 100% commit to doing the blockstring.

I've watched tons of Hellfire matches and everyone else just converts is flawlessly... And I'm over here with 200 games with scorp wondering HOW?

Xzyj

Noob
I've been lurking for awhile now and I appreciate how much work you guys have put into this, so I just made my account to post this.

Now my main problem that I'm finding myself in online is that when I do the whole blockstring it seems that if they block the 2 and then it connects on let's say the 1 of the 214xxFBC I just can't convert it into the BnB, I always just 100% commit to doing the blockstring.

I've watched tons of Hellfire matches and everyone else just converts is flawlessly... And I'm over here with 200 games with scorp wondering HOW?
I think the main thing to do here is to move your fireball input to the end of your string. Initially i inputted everything right away and just run cancelled after the combo, but when you actually choose at the end to what you commit, either fireball or teleport, it will be a lot easier. i don't think it's possible to react to 3rd hit tho (4 in 214), so either you commit to teleport if you think your opponent will catch only the last hit, or you do 21 fbc into 214

Con

Noob
I think the main thing to do here is to move your fireball input to the end of your string. Initially i inputted everything right away and just run cancelled after the combo, but when you actually choose at the end to what you commit, either fireball or teleport, it will be a lot easier. i don't think it's possible to react to 3rd hit tho (4 in 214), so either you commit to teleport if you think your opponent will catch only the last hit, or you do 21 fbc into 214
Ok... Was just in practice trying that and I've run into a new problem doing what you said.

When I do the blockstring f2 comes out right after I FBC maybe 50% of the time if I try to delay the FBC.

Xzyj

Noob
Ok... Was just in practice trying that and I've run into a new problem doing what you said.

When I do the blockstring f2 comes out right after I FBC maybe 50% of the time if I try to delay the FBC.
That means you're still holding forward after doing FBC, just mess a bit with timings and you'll get it.
Also useful tip - on block and on Hit your FBC timing is different, so if you see a lot of spears coming out when you do b3-fbc on block, this is because you're used to do perfect b3 cancel into 214 when it hits, but on block you'll get spear with that timing, so you have to input your run a little bit later on block

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
So I don't really want to give this it's own thread because I don't want to draw attention to it.

But b32f2 is unsafe on block against raiden. It's not a braindead punish, the raiden player definitely has to practice it, but f1 definitely punishes b32f2.

It's not matchup breaking, you still have other low options and regardless, I doubt the majority of Raiden players will punish it consistently. So during a match, make sure to take note of if they're even aware they can punish after blocking the string.
I knew Raiden could punish B32F2 with F1. Heck it happened to me in a tournament a couple of weeks ago lol.

But the odd thing is... that should make it -7 right?

Kung Lao's spin (any variation, any version of it) can't reversal punish...

yea jax and liu kang can combo punish it also
I was trying out these two aswell. Got the punish with Jax's standing 1 but Liu's F1 wasn't working. Unless I was having unlucky timing with Liu all the time. Or maybe it's not active on the 6th frame after all....

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I was trying out these two aswell. Got the punish with Jax's standing 1 but Liu's F1 wasn't working. Unless I was having unlucky timing with Liu all the time. Or maybe it's not active on the 6th frame after all....
seems your right about liu's f1, doesnt seem to be hitting scorp on 1st frame. haha good stuff.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Anyone know how to get kold war Scorpion in Europe? Maybe @colt ?
inb4 paulo replies with his "dont quote me in derp threads" message.
shouldnt really be tagging devs for region related costume stuff,
if its not on sale now it prob be at some point soon. keep a eye on twitter etc, im hoping they sell the gold scorpion soon as i think its pretty slick looking

Bombardier777

I'll bleed you, real quick.
inb4 paulo replies with his "dont quote me in derp threads" message.
shouldnt really be tagging devs for region related costume stuff,
if its not on sale now it prob be at some point soon. keep a eye on twitter etc, im hoping they sell the gold scorpion soon as i think its pretty slick looking
Ok, I'm sorry if that bothers him, I want the kold war Scorpion cause in that variation he's got the biggest arms lol

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Has anyone found out the B121 option select with Spear yet? B121 comes out on block and on hit they get smacked with a spear? I'm not sure where to look for these things, and since it's one of the easier option selects I'm sure it's been found.

But it's B12>BF1D. Pretty simple and not hard to time at all.

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
Has anyone found out the B121 option select with Spear yet? B121 comes out on block and on hit they get smacked with a spear? I'm not sure where to look for these things, and since it's one of the easier option selects I'm sure it's been found.

But it's B12>BF1D. Pretty simple and not hard to time at all.
Psh I got it like a week ago. You can do b12f1b and it will work.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Psh I got it like a week ago. You can do b12f1b and it will work.
Nice I was just dicking around and was like...man I land this b121 a lot, let me see if I can hit confirm it, then I was like, let's try option selecting, and I managed to get it down pretty quickly.

I haven't managed to figure out the timing for the B3 option select at all though. lol

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
Hello, new scorpion player here and I got a few questions in regards to his hellfire variation.

1) I see a lot of kombos that have FA in the middle of said combos. Is that practical? Reason I ask is because everyone online I fight is usually jumping out of it. Is there a free hit after? I know it leaves at ridiculous +.

2)after I spear should I do his overhead into FA to get the reset?

3) what's the best way to open someone up? Excluding his fireball cancel.

4) and what's his ideal punish string?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
^

1). It's entirely practical. It requires timing because you can't buffer normals out of flame aura, but yes we use it all the time.

2). That's what you should do if the option is available, but it's not the full reset. Spear, fjp, f4xxFA, 4xxTP. If you can't do that or the option isn't available, just do fjp, 4xxTP.

3). The unblockable is great for this, but it requires you to commit to the idea that your opponent will turtle up. Other than that, use plenty of f2 so your opponent doesn't just block low the whole match.

4). 214 punishes most unsafe specials like mileena's ball or teleport and leads to big damage, and is safe if you hit confirm it. If you ever find that it whiffs, try b3 or f3.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
@Triplswing i guess youre my go to guy for Scorpion.
Ive loved Scorpion since the classics. Even played his shitty IGAU version.
But for the life of me i cant even have much success with him.
Bow that im playing better people its a bit harder and weird. Like im using to footsies. D4 is good. It makes me think of like C.Vipers cr.K. Good.
But i feel a lack of good mids ruin it when i wanna counterpoke with a string. I can do FBC well. But i can never get the proper b.3 to come out consistent.
I feel dead when pressured often.
Inferno feels like its just gimmicks. I may feel like later, because its only a few months and people already deal with it well, may be weaker. But damage is great.
Im not sure what a good purpose for a regular Fireball is. Brutality i suppose.

Im just saying. I feel like its just rough around the edges agains the higher characters.
When i do a low profile kick on junping beans i try to get them with the b.1 i think, and i get cr.Pd.
Ive been trying to grind it out. But my success with him isnt so good. And id really like to be good with him.
Great fatalities and brutalites also are a bonus and pretty easy.

Also opening up people is rough. Hes not really a blockstring character huh?

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Bow that im playing better people its a bit harder and weird. Like im using to footsies. D4 is good. It makes me think of like C.Vipers cr.K. Good.
Scorpion's main poking tools are his D1,3,4, B3-FBC isn't bad but strict in terms of timing. B121 is very good and can also be cancelled into flame aura or spear and B1-dash cancel gives enough hit stun for a combo but this more of "keeping your opponent in check" tool as opposed to straight up poking.

But i feel a lack of good mids ruin it when i wanna counterpoke with a string. I can do FBC well. But i can never get the proper b.3 to come out consistent.
This is his only real weakness imo, the above are decent but certainly not as dominant as others like Jax F21, D'Vorah F2, Lao B3 etc. This is why utilising what Scorpion has in terms of mids is so crucial, he's limited in this area but far from option-less.

I feel dead when pressured often.
You may just need to brush up on your frame data, Scorpion's D1 and D3 are some of the best in the game, use these when possible and use their frame advantage to establish your own pressure.

Inferno feels like its just gimmicks. I may feel like later, because its only a few months and people already deal with it well, may be weaker. But damage is great.
On line Inferno does lend itself to gimmicks but it's still a solid variation, but it's a match up specific one imo. When used properly low minion is stupid, any trade gives you a full combo into a mixup.

Im not sure what a good purpose for a regular Fireball is. Brutality i suppose.
It's used for his cancel pressure, learning this is mandatory if you want to play Hellfire.

Im just saying. I feel like its just rough around the edges agains the higher characters.
When i do a low profile kick on junping beans i try to get them with the b.1 i think, and i get cr.Pd.
Ive been trying to grind it out. But my success with him isnt so good. And id really like to be good with him.
Great fatalities and brutalites also are a bonus and pretty easy.

Also opening up people is rough. Hes not really a blockstring character huh?
As for the rest just keep playing him, D2 is a good anti air as his flame aura. His block string pressure when in Hellfire is extremely good, Inferno gives you 214-mid minion, Ninjutsu doesn't have anything in this regard.

Part of opening up people up with Scorpion is conditioning your opponent, after his teleport hits you're at +18 which means you have three options which are a guess, B3, F2 and throw. F4 is reactable but this is where conditioning comes in.

Go for B3's a lot, use D4 and D3 to get your opponent to feel like they have to block low. Then bust out F4 and take half their life.

Hope this helps.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Hope this helps.
Hey i appreciate the write up. At 11 frames i usually try to avoid the back 1. As most of the time i get poked out.
And the fireball has no good purpose outside of just being cancelled? Damn.
I also heard the hellfire can otg after an uppercut. But i cant seem to make it work. Ill practice it later with timing.
Thanks though. Ill have to check his frames a lot better. MKs frames system works differently than other games.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Hey i appreciate the write up. At 11 frames i usually try to avoid the back 1. As most of the time i get poked out.
And the fireball has no good purpose outside of just being cancelled? Damn.
I also heard the hellfire can otg after an uppercut. But i cant seem to make it work. Ill practice it later with timing.
Thanks though. Ill have to check his frames a lot better. MKs frames system works differently than other games.
Fireball is a good bait tool when zoning.