What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
b21 xx db1 xx db1, d1, 21 xx EXbf2, rc 21xxEXbf2, NJP, 21xxdf3

This is a 2 bar 50% midscreen combo that has insane corner carry. If you end the combo with the df3 you get a corner restand for more potential damage. I can post a video if anyone wants to.
yeah a vid would be nice.. cause this part here - to me , in my head makes me think you are already close or in the corner by now

SOLEdier

IHideBehindIceClones
Thanks a lot for your answer, I'll work on that. I'm getting better than when i played him a few months ago, the experience kicking in I think!
Try pressuring/setups like end a combo with 21 restand then drop a Blade and leave it there and start another string like F12 or B21 then cancel it with a Blade Kall, etc etc.

BornThroughAshes

Devil Apes
I already know what you're doing in my head but video never hurts.

There you go buddy. If the corner carry isn't enough to get you in the corner after the second Fist Flurry then omit the NJP and use rc 21 xx df1 instead. The restand in the corner leaves you at +9 frames which basically allows for a free b2/b3 mixup or a grab. (Note that b3 is much slower at 21 frames so you can be outpoked by most characters of the game if they guess right and have quick reactions. B2 is much faster at 12 frames though so the only thing the opponent will be able to do in that case is block).

Edit: You can use the same tech with one bar and use one EX Fist Flurry instead of two for 40% damage (37% without the NJP).

Last edited:
Don't forget the buffhype ;D

#takedabeforeitwascool
Yeah, tbh it helped me take my decision to go back to him, but it was still in my plans to play him again.

Try pressuring/setups like end a combo with 21 restand then drop a Blade and leave it there and start another string like F12 or B21 then cancel it with a Blade Kall, etc etc.
Wow thank you for your answer! I'll try that tonight probably, it's a really nice tip, thanks again I really appreciate it!

delbuster

hungry
i looked into some stuff. while holding blade, b21 db1 on block is not plus, it's slightly minus; but b21 2+4 db1 is a little plus on block which is really good.
then f1 2+4 into recall is pretty plus on block so those are probably the 2 main options. nothing seems to jail but u can just bait stuff if you expect armor.
i'll look into it a little more today.

i don't think f1 2+4 is usually worth spending meter on, it seems to scale really hard. still good to know for closing out rounds

i got a few more low dmg combos with it for no meter (like 20 and 19 lol) while holding the blade
midscreen
f1 2+4 (1st hit) db1 db1 (late timing to get the high popup) d1 df1 - 18%
f1 2+4 (1st hit) db1 db1 (late timing) d2 - 20%

this doesn't really work with 2nd hit of 2+4

corner
f1 2+4 db1 112 df1 d1 df1 - 19%
replacing d1 with d2 here can uncorner them. not sure if that's what we want to do.

Thanks everyone for your tips! This morning I tried ranked with Ronin and I did surprisingly well! The pressure is so good, and I like playing with the opponent with the blade drop now that I'm a bit more used to it. Sometimes I drop the blade far instead of close, but It's just a problem of input. I'll need to work on that.

Anyway, thanks again, I want to get really good soon and be able to share some techs too!

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
after the first restand into run a b21 - restands into throws have been free alllllllll day baby....
seems that people never want to break on the restand yet, they seem hesitant . always after

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
also ..i find it funny that Takeda has two blades.. uses two blades for EVERYTHING.yet when he drops one blade.. the other is magically non existent.. lol.. like they couldnt put his normals to just swinging one blade fly swatter style

#batcountry

also .. with all the star wars stuff going lately . imma need Ronin Jedi/Sith skin
first player color - blue blade
2nd player color - red blade

What is the goto/ optimal combo after raw ex bf2? (Post patch)

Ideally I would like to end in bf2 for hard knockdown or 21 restand

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
I used to play alot of shirai ryu, but as im getting better with inputs, and with the changes I want to really get into ronin, however I dont see alot of people talking about his b 1 1 2 string, it seems really easy to just let it end and be nuetral, or hitconfirm into b112, which goes into full combo.

I have been doing b 1 1 2, f1 2 2+4, db1 db1ex 21bf2, if i want to use meter for like 32 or it ends at like 24, if i dont meter burn the db1.

How have you guys been using the string or have you found any better damage setups

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
I primarily use lasher. Does this variation have any type of legit pressure strings? Or are they all gimmicks and mind games?

delbuster

hungry
i'm gonna try to figure out what frame traps he has today. i am pretty confident that he has some really good stuff, just i don't know the numbers yet.

delbuster

hungry
i might be a frame off b/c reversals and non reversal mess with my head

with blade

b21 2+4 db1 is around +3 on block
f1 2+4 first hit db1 is about -1 on block
2 1 db1 is about -1 on block
3 3 db1 is about 0 on block
i cant tell how fast doing db1 db1 is compared to normals but it will beat 7f non armor attacks on those at least. there are some cancels that leave you -7 or worse so not there.

without blade
f1 2+4 1st hit db1 around +1 on block
33 db1 is around +2 on block

-

i messed around with some combos, ill put them on youtube

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
nobody ever gets jip > 44 but whatevs..

corner - 2 bars
jip 44 ex bf2 d2 21 ex bf2 run 44 df1 - 51%
...112 df1 - 51%

d2 after ex bf2 has to be done immediately and send opponent out of corner
21 for restand has to be done right when character is eye level

Last edited:

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
u can do 52 with
jiP 44 ex bf2 ji3 21 ex bf2 njP 44 df1 and keep in corner
yeah i ran into this but noticed that the even with the njp or the jip is that you only got 1% more for doing both or if you do only one its still 51% and since those were the two spots that were prob easiest to drop. (least for me) i just went with this one since its pretty basic. but keeping the corner is a good reward for that extra effort..i didnt pay attention to that part as i was just hunting for damage .

good find .. im still trying for go higher too but im capping at the 52-53 with two bars

Last edited:

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
and sorry for having to use gifs that are high in data.. for some reason my xbox dvr and upload studio are acting up and not working properly.