What's new

"Rock is Dead" -Gene Simmons 2014 (He's 16 years late)

TKB

Noob
When we say "rock is dead" we are talking about Mainstream rock. Not underground rock music. Of course they are going to be great bands NOT on the radio. But up until about 1998 there was great rock music ON the radio. For the most part that has changed and it has gone away out of the public eye. It's sad to because they only good rock music you hear on the radio now is considered "classic" even if it's from like 20 years ago.
When my local classic rock station(known for playing pink Floyd, led zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, The Who, etc.) started playing Creed, I died a little inside.

When my local classic rock station(known for playing pink Floyd, led zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, The Who, etc.) started playing Creed, I died a little inside.
Tell me about it, in miami, rock is more than dead, it doesn't exist. We only have one Rock station BIG 105.9 and it's "classic rock". They play the same tunes every single day and it's not even classic rock in the true sense of the word, it's mostly early 90's grunge and alternative with a few late 70's and 80's hard rock tracks thrown into the mix.

If anyone thinks rock is actually dead, they are not just looking hard enough. Right now the scene is exploding with constant releases and awesome shows you are able to go to for 20$ and under. Ty Segall, King Tuff, Thee Oh Sees, The Orwells, Allah Las, The Growlers, Bass Drum of Death, Night Beats, La Luz, White Fence, King Khan, Pujol, Jeff the Brotherhood, Together Pangea, Kurt Vile, Foxygen, Mac Demarco, Nobunny, Tijuana Panthers, the list goes on and on.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I think some of you are missing Gene Simmons point. It's not that there is a lack of rock music being produced. It's that the creators can no longer make a profit out of it. Being a touring rock musician is no longer a lucrative career. When you can't make a profit off it, no matter how much passion you have for it, you will move on to something else because you need money to live. This has a snowball effect in reverse ( No money, no bands, no bands no inspiration for new bands, no new bands, genre dies)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I think some of you are missing Gene Simmons point. It's not that there is a lack of rock music being produced. It's that the creators can no longer make a profit out of it. Being a touring rock musician is no longer a lucrative career. When you can't make a profit off it, no matter how much passion you have for it, you will move on to something else because you need money to live. This has a snowball effect in reverse ( No money, no bands, no bands no inspiration for new bands, no new bands, genre dies)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THank god someone got it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THank god someone got it
Well that's false. In fact because music is so easily accessible (so easy to pirate if you want to blame piracy) it means a main source of revenue is through touring. The main issue is that it's not the big record labels that are responsible for making you "famous". The business model has changed, you want to get rich off of music you need to rely on social media. You need that viral youtube video with 10 million+ hits. And instead of making money off of album sales and radio contracts, you make it off of youtube hits.

Tell me Walk off the Earth isn't doing well for themselves. Trent Reznor is actually someone who did a great job adapting to technology. He was quick to hop on the digital distribution bandwagon and he encourages fans to remix the shit out of his music. He's also known for putting on one hell of a show live.

Instead of radio station connections, and traditional marketing what you need now is someone who understands social media marketing.

There are however some travesty's that have come because of technology. The death of full albums. Everything is a single now. You look at bands like Tool who treat their entire album like a single piece of art (google Lateralus Holy Gift) and it's not as relevant/possible since primary music consumption is singles.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Well that's false. In fact because music is so easily accessible (so easy to pirate if you want to blame piracy) it means a main source of revenue is through touring. The main issue is that it's not the big record labels that are responsible for making you "famous". The business model has changed, you want to get rich off of music you need to rely on social media. You need that viral youtube video with 10 million+ hits. And instead of making money off of album sales and radio contracts, you make it off of youtube hits.

Tell me Walk off the Earth isn't doing well for themselves. Trent Reznor is actually someone who did a great job adapting to technology. He was quick to hop on the digital distribution bandwagon and he encourages fans to remix the shit out of his music. He's also known for putting on one hell of a show live.

Instead of radio station connections, and traditional marketing what you need now is someone who understands social media marketing.

There are however some travesty's that have come because of technology. The death of full albums. Everything is a single now. You look at bands like Tool who treat their entire album like a single piece of art (google Lateralus Holy Gift) and it's not as relevant/possible since primary music consumption is singles.
What you are saying has no longevity, and only supports short term gains. This only allows you to make such a limited amount of money that you cannot survive long term. Paul Mccartney still tours and sells records. He is able to do that because he was able to make money off it early on. The do it yourself approach only gets you so far before you need real dollars to support your touring without sacrificing your quality of life (which serves as your inspiration to create). This is why most bands have a short term life span (10 years or less). And if you spend all your youth working towards something and end up at 30 with nothing to show for it but a couple of tshirts and mp3s, where is the inspiration for others to tread the same water.

What you are saying has no longevity, and only supports short term gains. This only allows you to make such a limited amount of money that you cannot survive long term. Paul Mccartney still tours and sells records. He is able to do that because he was able to make money off it early on. The do it yourself approach only gets you so far before you need real dollars to support your touring without sacrificing your quality of life (which serves as your inspiration to create). This is why most bands have a short term life span (10 years or less). And if you spend all your youth working towards something and end up at 30 with nothing to show for it but a couple of tshirts and mp3s, where is the inspiration for others to tread the same water.
You're probably right. But I don't see how that differs much from most other careers. Look up the statistics for how many career changes the average person makes. How many bands never got recognized by the big record labels they needed to become famous? I think you guys are looking at the past with rose tinted glasses, you look at some of the huge names and think that was the norm. There are plenty of bands who struggled and never made it big then, plenty of one hit wonders, etc.

I don't believe opportunities were any better or worse then or now. It's just a different ball game in how success is achieved.

I would also say that in terms of longevity a musician is not limited to income solely based on album production. Such talents could also be used in instruction/mentoring. Composing music for other forms of media, retail, etc.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I would also say that in terms of longevity a musician is not limited to income solely based on album production. Such talents could also be used in instruction/mentoring. Composing music for other forms of media, retail, etc.
This is what Gene Simmon's is arguing. That rock music as a career is no longer viable, and this forces rock musicians to do something else such as teaching, or composing for other genres. If being a rock musician is no longer a viable career, fewer people will enter the field. Less people entering the field means the slow death of the genre.

Pig Of The Hut

You're probably right. But I don't see how that differs much from most other careers. Look up the statistics for how many career changes the average person makes. How many bands never got recognized by the big record labels they needed to become famous? I think you guys are looking at the past with rose tinted glasses, you look at some of the huge names and think that was the norm. There are plenty of bands who struggled and never made it big then, plenty of one hit wonders, etc.

I don't believe opportunities were any better or worse then or now. It's just a different ball game in how success is achieved.

Both of you are presenting really great posts and points I'm enjoying reading

Thanks

Let me add a little insight

1,000,000 hits on YouTube = $3000 + legit question of is this a two week hit and just a fad or legit business

1,000,000 sales of an album =$240,000 after paying your attorney, publications, taxes, producer, label, etc per band (5 members) $47,500 per member and creates serious interest for sponsors to sponsor legit tours

Platinum for startup bands = 2500-5000 seat concert halls

Double platinum = 7500-15,000 concert halls

Pig Of The Hut

This is what Gene Simmon's is arguing. That rock music as a career is no longer viable, and this forces rock musicians to do something else such as teaching, or composing for other genres. If being a rock musician is no longer a viable career, fewer people will enter the field. Less people entering the field means the slow death of the genre.
Also you should know that as of 2005 venues started charging all upstart bands

For example a band I use to play with (playing in 3 at the time) stopped playing out because venues wood charge the band anywhere from $500-$700 dollars

This is how it works now normally and hell lol even the Super Bowlis charging artists huge huge money to play

Bobzilla

Noob
There's no money in death metal, black metal, doom, grind, crust, hardcore, power violence, noise, neofolk, post-rock, sludge, etc. for 99.9% of the artists, yet they thrive. If it's about the music, everything will be fine. If money is the motivation, then good riddance.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Anyone that says Rock is dead is either extremely uninformed or drowned in nostalgia.

There are a crap ton of rock stations wherever you are, including classic rock. The only real thing that has changed is bands can't make a living off of just record sales anymore. Now they either have to have a part time job unrelated to music or they have to find ways to continue making money relating to music( examples: producing, audio engineering, giving lessons etc.).

Also: Gene Simmons may be one of the stupidest musicians I have ever seen, so please do not take his word as any sort of credible source.

Zoidberg747

I can name you at least 20 bands that started in 2000 and are still making great records today. You guys need to stop living in the past, there are plenty of ways to make money in the music industry now. It may not be as simple as back when Rock originated, but that doesnt mean there isnt a way.

Hint: I know plenty of rock and metal musicians who make their entire living off of the music industry. I even know some of them personally.

Edit: For the record I can name way more than 20 bands, I just threw that number out there :p

Error

DF2+R2
There's no money in death metal, black metal, doom, grind, crust, hardcore, power violence, noise, neofolk, post-rock, sludge, etc. for 99.9% of the artists, yet they thrive. If it's about the music, everything will be fine. If money is the motivation, then good riddance.
I mean, they thrive, but it's hard. We can't pretend that these people are living comfortably. Bands like Suffocation and Immolation are pretty much legend status in Death Metal, but their members still take breaks from the band for side jobs to actually support their families. Frank had to take a break from touring, Mike Smith left, etc. CD sales used to be the main support for these bands touring.

Bobzilla

Noob
I mean, they thrive, but it's hard. We can't pretend that these people are living comfortably. Bands like Suffocation and Immolation are pretty much legend status in Death Metal, but their members still take breaks from the band for side jobs to actually support their families. Frank had to take a break from touring, Mike Smith left, etc. CD sales used to be the main support for these bands touring.
By thrive I'm talking about the musical output of the genre. I did say there's no money for almost all these types of bands. But that doesn't stop new bands from forming, old bands from reuniting, and great albums from continually being released. It comes from the heart, not from a desire for fame and money.

Error

DF2+R2
By thrive I'm talking about the musical output of the genre. I did say there's no money for almost all these types of bands. But that doesn't stop new bands from forming, old bands from reuniting, and great albums from continually being released. It comes from the heart, not from a desire for fame and money.
Oh, well I don't anyone is denying that great music is still being made.

Error

DF2+R2
That is kind of what "Rock is Dead" is implying.
I thought it was implying this.
Gene Simmons said:
"I am so sad that the next 15-year-old kid in a garage someplace in St. Paul, that plugs into his Marshall and wants to turn it up to 10, will not have anywhere near the same opportunity that I did," Simmons said. "He will most likely, no matter what he does, fail miserably."
I don't agree with this though
Sene Gimmons said:
"You're better off not even learning how to play guitar or write songs." Today's songwriters and creators are more likely to work behind the scenes than practicing and testing their material out on stage, he added.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I definitely don't think music is nearly as good as it once was years ago during Elvis, Beatle era and 70s, 80s and 90's. I mean this chick other day tried arguing with me on a classic music video trying to tell me "Justin Beiber is talented and great singer" lol after I told her people like him aren't in the same league as Beatles or Rolling Stones among many others.

Then in another video people were fighting over which version of "Hurt" is better, the NIN version or Johnny Cash. I personally liked both versions. The song is depressing either way lol.

Pig Of The Hut

Anyone that says Rock is dead is either extremely uninformed or drowned in nostalgia.

There are a crap ton of rock stations wherever you are, including classic rock. The only real thing that has changed is bands can't make a living off of just record sales anymore. Now they either have to have a part time job unrelated to music or they have to find ways to continue making money relating to music( examples: producing, audio engineering, giving lessons etc.).

Also: Gene Simmons may be one of the stupidest musicians I have ever seen, so please do not take his word as any sort of credible source.
Can u find me any credible source that backs up your claims

Zoidberg747

Can u find me any credible source that backs up your claims
Im going to assume you mean the first part and not the Gene Simmons thing.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/12/23/full-time-musicians
http://www.saukvalley.com/2014/09/09/the-list-25-bands-proving-that-rock-is-not-dead/auo3a28/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michelecatalano/2012/11/26/rock-is-dead-is-dead/
http://money.futureofmusic.org/survey-snapshot/
http://tomhess.net/HowToMakeMoneyInMusic.aspx

Note: A few of those articles include other genres, but none of them would be considered "mainstream" so they would still apply.