What's new

"Rock is Dead" -Gene Simmons 2014 (He's 16 years late)

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Rock on radio is certainly dead though that's an indictment of modern mainstream radio more than an entire genre of music. The music industry is, like so many aspects of entertainment, trying to adjust to the advent of the digital age.

Also...Gene Simmons and KISS haven't been relevant for a long time.

Last edited:

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I fluctuate on this issue. While I personally obviously like the rock greats rather than modern stuff, and agree most of the shit that comes out now is just that, I also think we are a little too quick to judge it. We assume it's all terrible, so we don't give it a chance. Just a possibility.

For example, look up the winery dogs. That's some solid rock music. At least I think so.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
People proclaim the death of anything that doesn't resemble what they have the strongest nostalgic connection with.

"This doesn't sound like what I grew up with, so it is bad and the creators should feel bad! Everything was better in my day!"

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Well for a guy like me who just recently go into Rock a couple of years ago because I came to believe that hip hop is dead or at least in a coma,so for me its not dead......yet.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
how is rock dead with great songs like this?

maybe mainstream rock, and rock on the radio is, but great music is coming out all the time, its just now-a-days if its not on the radio and selling tickets and records its "dead". i think whats actually dead is everyone's passion for the genre, i know for a fact i can't listen to half the shit on the radio now-a-days i have to find my music through these bands that have great live performances and search online for them. i wish there were more dedicated modern metal, hardcore and death metal stations but they are so few and far between. you know something is on the brink of dying when hipsters are the ones that listen to them the most haha

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Ehh rock was way dead before 2001
Yeah it died when the only way MTV stayed on was its ad sponsors. Who were those ad sponsors supporting the labels of? Rappers like Puff Daddy. 90's turned into nothing but rap near the end and if you saw any videos it was for a second on TRL before some drunk as shit girl would be popped up and mic-ed in over the song yelling something stupid. Sigh...and even then they wouldn't show the whole vid and they'd cut it off early.

Back then you had the radio and MTV. Folks began pirating like mad because suddenly with Napster folks could just search and get music quickly and have a LOT of related stuff. Whole music industry started hemorraging at that point.

90's were a mess. From labels controlling what got played on MTV to Downloaded music hurting sales...it forced the whole industry to go as formulaic and "safe" as possible. Music became sterilized and condensed down to formulas and who could play/fit those formulas. Sucked man.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I'll speak more plainly; just because you have difficulty finding new / good music on mainstream radio doesn't mean a genre is dead. It means mainstream radio as a primary venue for getting exposed to new music is. It's like how MTV in the 90's played music videos 85% of the time and now plays shitty original programming 95% of the time. Mainstream radio caters to a specific demographic, with specific playlists, and is no longer the SOLE indicator / predictor of sustainable success for a musical artist.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I don't really consider anything "dead" just because it's pushed out of the mainstream. Youtube, music blogs, sites like Bandcamp, etc is where a lot of people find and get their music from now. For people with the mindset that whatever isn't playing on the radio is irrelevant I guess it is. But just look at things like extreme metal genres that have been thriving for 3 decades. You'll never hear it on the radio or see them perform at the Grammys, but it doesn't mean people don't listen to it or that people can't make a career/lifestyle out of it. The age of the classic rock "stardom" is probably dead, but why does that matter? If you're in it just for that you're in it for the wrong reasons.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Rock is not mainstream anymore but it's certainly not dead.

Rock, alternative rock, spanish rock, heavy metal, new metal, black metal etc etc is all I listen to.

David Bowie just came out with a new album "the next day" last year and it was amazing. There's lots of good bands making good music its just doesnt get play on the radio anymore.