What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile's needed Forceball buff

Zaccel

Noob
punishable by meterless slide, im 99% sure. reptile doesnt have a safe fb setup against sub
Could've sworn that worked, maybe I missed something. If so, yeah, that's a letdown. I keep holding on hope trying to find a FB setup that works on him, but that seems about as likely as finding a unicorn.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Could've sworn that worked, maybe I missed something. If so, yeah, that's a letdown. I keep holding on hope trying to find a FB setup that works on him, but that seems about as likely as finding a unicorn.
Yeah, you can't really FB vs Sub unless you read clone. Sub kinda does shit and you don't really have a good answer. I don't feel like Scorpion is that bad, just not easy either.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
After letting the "buffs" air out a little, he still veeeery much seems bottom 5 to me. Probably bottom 3.. Can some of you pllllleease just admit he needs help

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
Just my 2 cents on the armor o ex Dash discussion

I don't understand why it can't be armored compared to similar moves that are like Jax dash punch.

I'm sure I'm getting info wrong and probably looking at this too simplisticly so ya.

Dash:
8f startup
-18 on block
Great whiff punish
Doesn't lead to much
Terrible priority

Dash punch:
10f startup
-8 on block
Can be an overhead but is more unsafe iirc
Great whiff punish
Can lead to great damage
Can be ducked

Like seriously why does dash punch get to be armored and so much safer? Because its two frames slower and can be ducked?

(I do get that being unsafe on block is because its largely a mobility tool but with running in this game its not as necessary as in mk9)

Zaccel

Noob
punishable by meterless slide, im 99% sure. reptile doesnt have a safe fb setup against sub
Yeah, you can't really FB vs Sub unless you read clone.
Okay, so, continuing with this FB v.s. SZ topic, I gave those FB setups I was trying another look. These were tested against both of SZ's slides and Reptile's EX slide. Haven't sunk any time into testing against delayed wakeups yet.

f412xxbf2, f412xxSFB does work against SZ--but only if he techrolls (slide whiffs, EX can be blocked). Ensuring the right height is finicky. Loses to Reptile.

f412xxbf2, 21, f412xxEX SFB is pretty much the same deal. SZ slide gets blown up, EX gets blown up only if he techrolls. No dice on Reptile. To get a reasonable FB setup going, meter and damage have to be sacrificed.

f412xxbf2, f412xxEX SFB (slightly delayed) covers SZ slides. Meterless slide can whiff or get blocked, depending on tech and the spacing. EX, with or without techroll, gets blocked. Blocked slide = FB combo. I need to test Reptile more--it seems to work, but finding the golden delay for roll/no-roll is tricky. The damage is low (23%), but at least it works.

I think FB, njp, 4xxSFB is a meterless FB combo/setup that's safe from SZ slides? Seems safe against Reptile, but if he techrolls the timing is tight. The damage is poor (16%), and I'm not sure what could be done with the frames.

EDIT: f412xxbf2, d1, f412xxEX SFB works against SZ EX Slide, regardless of tech. Adding a slight delay to the EX SFB helps it blow up SZ's meterless Slide and Reptile's EX Slide. Does 24%.

Last edited:

THTB

Just my 2 cents on the armor o ex Dash discussion

I don't understand why it can't be armored compared to similar moves that are like Jax dash punch.

I'm sure I'm getting info wrong and probably looking at this too simplisticly so ya.

Dash:
8f startup
-18 on block
Great whiff punish
Doesn't lead to much
Terrible priority

Dash punch:
10f startup
-8 on block
Can be an overhead but is more unsafe iirc
Great whiff punish
Can lead to great damage
Can be ducked

Like seriously why does dash punch get to be armored and so much safer? Because its two frames slower and can be ducked?

(I do get that being unsafe on block is because its largely a mobility tool but with running in this game its not as necessary as in mk9)
Dash punch is a high, as well. It has to be made unsafe to deal with that. Like dash, it also requires meter and the unsafe version to lead to anything. And dash can work as an extra mobility option much better, IMO.

It's different utilities. They are similar until you pay attention to the smaller differences. Dash punch is not meant to be used the same way you would dash.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Why the hell are you guys asking for armor on mb dash and please don't tell me just because of sub mu.. That's a dumb buff

Israel

Noob
Can some of you pllllleease just admit he needs help
He does, and i dont think anywhere here would disagree.

Its just the changes helped. Everyone is just trying to pinpoint what other changes would complete him. And not to just get mad at NRS for not giving us the whole dinner plate at once. they gave us some veggies tho, we tryna figure out now what meat we want. Chicken...beef or the steak.

If we don't get something after Evo I think it's time to put down this character. Maybe even take the game back and pick up a hobby like rollerblading or something. It could make you feel good like Reptile used to.

Help on the lazy designs of the variations would be something to feed the fire, but honestly it's burning out for me.

THTB

Like, I just want the variations to mean something. I feel like that's the biggest thing he's missing that they should change.

Like, I just want the variations to mean something. I feel like that's the biggest thing he's missing that they should change.
I feel the same. I've been training for Evo pretty hardcore this whole week and it's crazy obvious how lopsided some of Reptile's matchups are... And what variation can he go to in order to help him out? None of them.

I'll play Quan Chi or Kenshi for a few sets and it's like night and day compared to Reptile. All of Kenshi's variations are great and same with Quan, not to mention they're just way better characters. I want to keep playing Reptile, it's like in my blood. Ever since I was picked up for sponsorship though it seems pointless to play him, especially when I just have such better results with other characters. It feels like shit to not consistently make top 3 at my weeklys simply because I'm trying so hard to make Reptile succeed.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I feel the same. I've been training for Evo pretty hardcore this whole week and it's crazy obvious how lopsided some of Reptile's matchups are... And what variation can he go to in order to help him out? None of them.

I'll play Quan Chi or Kenshi for a few sets and it's like night and day compared to Reptile. All of Kenshi's variations are great and same with Quan, not to mention they're just way better characters. I want to keep playing Reptile, it's like in my blood. Ever since I was picked up for sponsorship though it seems pointless to play him, especially when I just have such better results with other characters. It feels like shit to not consistently make top 3 at my weeklys simply because I'm trying so hard to make Reptile succeed.
If you want to stay competitive you have to drop him IMO. People will say "noooo he's still viable!" But he is not if you want to win a tourney. He might be fine to get out of pools lol but that is it..

Zaccel

Noob
I'll contribute to the sunny mood here by throwing in my hat on the SZ/setups situation:

Meterless Forceball frames are really greedy. Duh. It's possible to have a setup, but combo scaling has to be considered, else the opponent get free reversals. This isn't news, but to get away with a meterless Forceball setup, damage must suffer. Badly.

Bigger combos are doable, but for consistency in avoiding reversals and catching jumpers, f412xxbf2, 121xxFB seems to work on most characters. Different FB speeds will cater to different wakeups--but if you choose wrong they can jump over it anyway. Damage is 19%.

Jax, Johnny, Sub-Zero and Reptile form what I've dubbed the No-FB-Allowed Club. If they have meter, fuggedaboutit. The only safe combo into FB I've found for them is f412xxFB. That's it. 13%, but FFBs cover standard roll/no-roll timing.

Post-FB is a pain going meterless. I can't find anything consistent to cover different tech timings and/or jumps. Just go for damage unless you have meter saved for EX FB setups. Those are legit.

Israel

Noob
There has to be some changes man.... Stuff starting not even be fun anymore.
See most of yall are stronger than me.... you play other char's in the mean time until rep gets the changes. Me, im just gonna not play until something happens. i dont like anyone else so i cant even enjoy the game unless im playing him. I cant even enjoy doing brutalites. Its like..i just cant really enjoy anything right now lol

I hope he gets some varitey coming, i really do. like thtb said, his variations atleast need to mean something.

I would like some buffs and tweaks, but I also could live with the was he is. Good things about reptile. Frame traps, good damage, safe on a lot of stuff, corpse hop gimmick, can break a lot of armor wake ups like kung jins, predator, raidens, with his b3,4 string due to low hit box and multiple hits.

He's rush down character with some zoning tools, I mean all his variations pretty much lean towards that notion, and it make since that some of the trouble I have with is being zoned like cybernetic kano, shinnok, kenshi, or Katina, but he has tools to get in like EX slide and the mix up from Klaw bounce.So variation changes could help.

Noxious: Maybe make this the zoning variation, because you could use his trait for defense if they get near and then punish and then end it with force ball pressure for more zoning, it would need to be balanced though because noxious can be good for rush down to. But the big thing could be when he activates noxious his projectiles get poisonous damage over time like dvorah in venomous. Instead of enhanced swamp slam giving you a pop up he ends it with the acid puddle. The poison damage with projectiles would also make people use force balls in combos more often, but you have to activate noxious to get the poisonous damage. Acid puddle should also stop people from running like erron blacks traps. Also what would be cool is if you could pop force balls to make an acid puddle instead of stopping them for a meter. Ex dash leaves a long acid trail that prevents running like acid puddle but dissipates shortly, you would use this to escape, and mobility but would 't give you a pop up anymore. Also get rid of his slide, and klaw moves. This variation would be about zoning and poisonous damage. This would be sick .

Nimble: Make start up quicker on ex trait so you could get around zoning a little easier,but what I think would be really cool is force ball cancels. I mean that way he could actually go into trait if he starts with a low. And could ex force ball cancel where it leaves it FB behind you and then this could lead to some really cool stuff.

deceptive: Force ball cancels would be very deceptive. And if he gets hit blocking he should stay in deception. Should be able to stack deceptive instead of turning it off.

But if not anything plus ex force balls would be nice. lol

Israel

Noob
I would like some buffs and tweaks, but I also could live with the was he is. Good things about reptile. Frame traps, good damage, safe on a lot of stuff, corpse hop gimmick, can break a lot of armor wake ups like kung jins, predator, raidens, with his b3,4 string due to low hit box and multiple hits.
Noxious: Maybe make this the zoning variation, because you could use his trait for defense if they get near and then punish and then end it with force ball pressure for more zoning, it would need to be balanced though because noxious can be good for rush down to. But the big thing could be when he activates noxious his projectiles get poisonous damage over time like dvorah in venomous. Instead of enhanced swamp slam giving you a pop up he ends it with the acid puddle. The poison damage with projectiles would also make people use force balls in combos more often, but you have to activate noxious to get the poisonous damage. Acid puddle should also stop people from running like erron blacks traps. Also what would be cool is if you could pop force balls to make an acid puddle instead of stopping them for a meter. Ex dash leaves a long acid trail that prevents running like acid puddle but dissipates shortly, you would use this to escape, and mobility but would 't give you a pop up anymore. Also get rid of his slide, and klaw moves. This variation would be about zoning and poisonous damage. This would be sick .

deceptive: Force ball cancels would be very deceptive. And if he gets hit blocking he should stay in deception. Should be able to stack deceptive instead of turning it off.

But if not anything plus ex force balls would be nice. lol
Now THOSE are some creative thoughts. Holy shit that would be sick if he had any of that.

I havent kept up in a while but, anyone know or heard of another possible update for mkx?

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
Now THOSE are some creative thoughts. Holy shit that would be sick if he had any of that.

I havent kept up in a while but, anyone know or heard of another possible update for mkx?
Last week Paulo said in a thread there is another patch coming but said there is no eta

Superi0rMagik

You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent
His ex forceball on startup should be 19 frames, and atleast +6 or 7 this would
allow at least decent pressure that the opponent could armor out of if they
read it correctly.
His acid spit ex imo is a waste of meter, It should be more like Arron
Black's caltrops if anything. Require no meter.
His acid hand should be switched to overhead. Look it seriously hits OVERHEAD.
with these changes I feel the character would be useful to the cast instead of
just a punching bag!

haketh

Noob
Honestly I feel like they mean enough. Maybe make Forceballs work differently in Deceptive?

Something better happen soon! The best Reptile in the world (Chris G) got bopped by my teammate Epic|Gol BoiToi. Chris G was using deceptive Reptile and got bodied. Then he ran to Kung Jin as usual because he knows no variation will help.

Acid Hand

The Acid Hand
Something better happen soon! The best Reptile in the world (Chris G) got bopped by my teammate Epic|Gol BoiToi. Chris G was using deceptive Reptile and got bodied. Then he ran to Kung Jin as usual because he knows no variation will help.
Changes def need to come soon...

also, do you have a vid of the match?