What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile vs Sonya

Okay, this is one of the dumbest MU's that reptile has, and that is because Sonya heavily limits your forceball usage, and she has those safe cartwheels. Full screen, her onion rings will be her tour guide.
She can pelt you with these and give you no room to get yourself a pretty little forceball out.
What you as the Reptile player needs to do, is master baiting and punishing. Sonya loves her divekick, and there is a very small window for you to punish it with f2-ffb. Punishing the dive kick every time will be the net of your damage to her. There is nothing you can do about her cartwheel and EX cartwheel because they are -3 (I think) and there is nothing reptile has that can punish that fast enough.
Try saving your meter for breaker, cause you'll need a lot of them. EX slide is something that can help you in getting out of her MS shenanigans and can allow you to initiate the zoning.
IMO this is a ROUGH 6-4 Sonya favor.
And if this is all wrong, please correct me.
Discuss

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I think this is one of Sonya's easiest MUs and the worst MU for reptile. She shuts him down hard.
Agreed. Sonya really doesnt have to take risks in this matchup because of how much faster her normals are. She can pretty much just continue pressure after a blocked cartwheel. He has to take the risk to get out with elbow dash where she normally has to take the risk with a divekick. She can kinda just do her thing, reptile doesnt really shut anything she does down.

i do think this is reptile worst matchup as well which if you think about it says a lot about the character because is not like a top reptile will lose to a packet sonya

RUNFORIT1

Not a new member, stop changing it to that tym.
Okay, this is one of the dumbest MU's that reptile has, and that is because Sonya heavily limits your forceball usage, and she has those safe cartwheels. Full screen, her onion rings will be her tour guide.
She can pelt you with these and give you no room to get yourself a pretty little forceball out.
What you as the Reptile player needs to do, is master baiting and punishing. Sonya loves her divekick, and there is a very small window for you to punish it with f2-ffb. Punishing the dive kick every time will be the net of your damage to her. There is nothing you can do about her cartwheel and EX cartwheel because they are -3 (I think) and there is nothing reptile has that can punish that fast enough.
Try saving your meter for breaker, cause you'll need a lot of them. EX slide is something that can help you in getting out of her MS shenanigans and can allow you to initiate the zoning.
IMO this is a ROUGH 6-4 Sonya favor.
And if this is all wrong, please correct me.
Discuss
I'm sorry but did no one else find this hilarious?

Reactions: RYX

Seapeople

This one's for you
If you block a cartwheel, you can throw out an elbow dash if you expect her to follow up with an ex cartwheel and it pretty much goes through her 100% of the time from my experience. I'm not sure if it beats an iaDK though, and obviously it's a big risk since she could just block and punish you.

I almost always try to end combos in a way to put me right back in Sonya's face because 321 will blow up all her wakeups except ex cartwheel.... It's a decent way to force her to burn meter or else get stuck in pressure.
At least we're not completely hopeless lol.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
You really want to know the key to this MU...you aren't going to guess it because you are a Reptile player so don't even try. It's patience, you have to wait for all the right moments here and there to take advantage of her, and beat that bobbom. Punishing dive kicks alone won't save you as it doesn't get much damage. Armor through block strings, even if she instant air dive kicks, you just got a get out of an ass whooping for one bar of meter card, and if it whiffs you get to be full screen anyway...win win. Just don't let her block that slide or yer fucked. Always ex sfb's if you can get out a fb. This allows you to go in for pressure and bait ex cartwheels, iaDive kicks causing her to either waste meter or get punished.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
In my limited experience with Sonya so far, I would say this MU feels like a 7-3. Onion rings will hamper Reptile's ability to zone or get FB's on screen. Also, since everything Sonya does is extremely safe, Reptile's dash which can be used to punish after an on-block standing 1 follow up is probably going to end badly at some point once it gets read and blocked/punished.

Thus, this MU gets the official seal

If you block a cartwheel, you can throw out an elbow dash if you expect her to follow up with an ex cartwheel and it pretty much goes through her 100% of the time from my experience. I'm not sure if it beats an iaDK though, and obviously it's a big risk since she could just block and punish you.

I almost always try to end combos in a way to put me right back in Sonya's face because 321 will blow up all her wakeups except ex cartwheel.... It's a decent way to force her to burn meter or else get stuck in pressure.
At least we're not completely hopeless lol.
I don't think it would beat the dk since it has that bs auto correct on it. She would just switch sides and take half your life lol.
But in all seriousness, Joker8417 is right about the match up and how to handle it. I'll update the OP with his words of wisdom.