Add a taunt button?

• Yes

Votes: 97 85.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.9%

• Total voters

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Yeah, but often after someone ragequits on me, the system will immediately pair us up again and I'll get to kick their ass a second time. I'd love nothing more than the ability to taunt their ass as I body them again.
Man, I don't think that's ever happened to me. It happens a lot on Tekken but never Injustice. I land one BGB combo with Lobo and people are gone. XBL is a wasteland of scumbag children, I swear.

1 - MK seems to attract the most douchebag casuals. Having a taunt button would just give those casuals more reason to fuck around.

2 - The atmosphere MK X comes across as far too serious. Taunting and whatnot would tarnish that.

3 - Kinda like the first point, it'd just give online scrubs more reason to fuck around when they win and/or are about to rage-quit.

1 - MK seems to attract the most douchebag casuals. Having a taunt button would just give those casuals more reason to fuck around.

2 - The atmosphere MK X comes across as far too serious. Taunting and whatnot would tarnish that.

3 - Kinda like the first point, it'd just give online scrubs more reason to fuck around when they win and/or are about to rage-quit.
1 and 3 just give you an opening, so where's the issue? 2 doesn't make sense as you can have serious taunts.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
3D MK games had taunts. Those were usually like special moves, button-wise, and healed you. Havik's "asuratei !!!" neck-breaking move, for example.
Asurutai!
Akutagai!
Whoyoutai!

Epic gibberish, if he returns he as to say those again

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Isn't stance switch there so they can have characters' fronts and backs look different? and for the xray/super move?

Not sure.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
They should make it where if you pull off a taunt successfully, you get a percentage of health back. Maybe like 15% or something and you can only use it once a match.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero

MK doesn't attract the most douchebag casuals. It's the fact that there are so many douchebag tactics available in NRS games. Their games are my favorite to play gameplay-wise, but almost every character has a stupid way to win.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
MK doesn't attract the most douchebag casuals. It's the fact that there are so many douchebag tactics available in NRS games. Their games are my favorite to play gameplay-wise, but almost every character has a stupid way to win.
I disagree, there are definitely some characters who have to work for their wins, because they don't have ridiculous bullshit.

The only legitimate fighter to have it where every character can pull off ridiculous damage somewhat easily and abuse multitudes of gimmicks is Tekken.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
I disagree, there are definitely some characters who have to work for their wins, because they don't have ridiculous bullshit.

The only legitimate fighter to have it where every character can pull off ridiculous damage somewhat easily and abuse multitudes of gimmicks is Tekken.
What you said is just a way of re-wording exactly what I said.

Decay

King of the Bill
Taunt button would be so cool if it were cancellable and also if normals could be cancelled into a taunt. Do a combo and end it with taunt to make it safe

Decay

King of the Bill
Shazam, Deathstroke and Cyborg have taunts in Injustice, don't see why they wouldn't bring it back for MKX.
Haha true, but the jokers trait is the best taunt. Especially if you land it all 3 times then jump around like a freaking idiot

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
What you said is just a way of re-wording exactly what I said.
No.

You said every character has as stupid way to win.

I assumed by stupid you meant simple, in which case that isn't true, as there are quite a few characters in NRS games who have to climb to win and can't rely on gimmicks or basics to pull out a lot of Ws.

1- Who cares?
2-Depends
3-(Refer to 1)

khrome

Master of The Universe
I'm thinking they should remove stance button. Stance when moving forward and other stance when moving backwards.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
I think taunts are really dumb in FGs, unless you make them like an actual move(builds meter, cancelable etc.)
Mortal kombat is all about immence fighting, the brutality, the nudity and gore etc... Also the victory-look at fatalities and babalities especially: why just beat someone when you can humiliate them?(especially online if they piss you off or even in a tournament to show your dominance). Adding a taunt would add to all that disrespect.

Sami

Noob
Isn't stance switch there so they can have characters' fronts and backs look different? and for the xray/super move?

Not sure.
It's a by-product of the animation system. In Street Fighter and lots of other 2D games, the character's front will always be facing the screen. Regardless of what move gets done, the end result is that the reset back to neutral has their front facing the screen. MK9 and Injustice do not enforce this rule. Assuming the character starts with their front facing the screen, a punch that causes them to step forward with their "back" leg will more than likely result in that back leg now being the front leg and the character's neutral stance having their back to the screen. There's no set pattern as to which moves cause a stance switch - it seems to be purely based on visual asthetic and is one of the reasons Injustice and MKX looks so smooth as there's no need to force everyone back into front-facing stances. This obviously applied in MK9 as well but it has quite stiff animations (which IMO were a deliberate throw-back to MK1-Trilogy).

Easy example: Superman's f2 has him step forward and punch with his back-hand. The end result of this is Superman goes from front-facing to back-facing (or vice-versa). However, f23 puts him front-facing again as the second punch (the 3) does a similar thing - attacking with what is now the "back" arm and stepping through.

As for why they actually added a button to just change between the stances, my guess would be 1) to show off the new fluid MK9 animation system, 2) some kind of fake-out move that isn't tea-bagging, 3) because they knew about stance-specific combos (that one is a joke) or 4) it was probably #1.

Speaking of stance-specific combos, as a guess I would say that the hitboxes are 3D and not being projected onto a 2D plane correctly (if they're being projected at all) before the collision checks are made.