What's new

Reasons we LOVE Mortal Kombat XL

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
It's really hard to pick a few things about this game since it really is incredible. The game itself is fun and addicting. I can play this for hours and not get bored. I'm always learning something new, and whenever someone gives me a compliment about how well I play, it makes me feel good about how far I've come.

By far the best thing that has finally come to light is the new netcode. My only wish is that it will one day become region free on ps4, and that with the recent announcement of Xbox having cross play on Windows 10, Sony follows and allows its users to play against Xbox (boon kinda teased about it)

Other minor details that I give huge props to are the sound and design teams. The robots sound fantastic when their metal bodies are being hit as well as the following:

Tremor with the amazing rock sounds when he's landing hits on his opponent; Kung Jin and his staff sounds; Predator and his screams; Leatherface and Alien as a whole - beautiful design and sounds.

Hilarious intros with Johnny and Cassie

The game is very solid, but there are still many things that make me salty here and there.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
1. Variation
2. Brutalities
3. Erron Black, Kotal Kahn, Cassie
4, Graphics
5. Trades
6. New Rollback netcode
7. Training Mode

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Jason Voorhees
Tremor
Shinnok
the game's overall sound design and soundtrack, they're just really freaking good
new netcode
Triborg's entire existance is pretty impressive
the fact that even though my boy Scorpion has 9 skins, everyone else in the game (except DLCs) also have at least one additional costume
even though Leatherface is Leatherface, his gameplay is actually pretty good
Bo' Rai Cho
Training mode
DLC premier towers
how good the klassic skins look

and a number of other things.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
1. The amazing design, both graphics and sound.
2. The variation system because, ultimately, it succeeded in what it was meant to do.
3. Bold, memorable new character design - Cassie, Jacqui, D'VORAH, KOTAL KAHN, ERRON BLACK, Kung Jin, Takeda, TREMOR (in all real function) are A+ additions to the MK universe IMO.
4. Run function.
5. Brutalities being sometimes difficult, sometimes hella swag to combo into, and largely the best finishing moves MK has (and yeah, they're better than the originals).
6. Netkode improvement (as of current version)
7. Most characters have really cool, even if impractical for optimization, swaggy combos.
8. Selfie Fatality. This easily earns its own point.

jacqui says "say my name bitch"
ermac says we are many more times infinity asjxgfygbhkrwnemas
liu kang burns your dick off
kano calls cassie a bitch
johnny cage exposes mileena for having sex with baraka
Jaqcui saying that makes me want to beat the shit outta the person who thought that was a good idea.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
It's NetherRealm's most refined game to date, a lot of love went into it. The quality of this game compared to many fighters is way superior, from the online, modes, single player content, characters, all the way down to the level of detail in animation and art design.
If favors too much scrubbyness. Full screen advancing strings, impossible to anti air attacks, impossible to whiff punish strings, everything safe on block. Dumb pokes etc. to be considered a great game.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Other than the obvious things that have been mentioned already, I really like the character designs. All the multicolor "ninja" characters look unique from each other and are super detailed. Scorpion looks really fast, streamlined, and deadly. Sub-Zero looks super detailed, menacing, and almost sinister in his default. Ermac looks really good and you can see the 25 year gap between MK9 with him like he is barely holding together. I could really go on about every characters design except for Jacqui and Sonya look pretty bland, but even then better than the majority of the MK9 designs.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Good to have some positivity on TYM now that things have been salty for the past two weeks. Thanks Wang.

The thing with MKX seems to be that many people find the game's fighting formula to not be that great, but the game excels in everything else.

- Graphically there is huge attention to detail. For instance, try Metallic's lava uprock and see all the individual particles. It's impressive. Of course that's just one example, but pretty much every character has great detail put into them and their moves.

- The intros are 100x better than every other fighting game out there. I can only hear Jago's bland "I'm afraid your path ends here" so many times.

- The game has actual story behind it that is more than ending cutscenes.

- Alternate costumes are legit alternate costumes, not just different colors.

- Practice mode is absolutely godlike. Recording the AI makes everything so much easier to lab.

- There is a wealth of characters in the game. Pretty sure we have 100 variations at this moment (Cyber Sub is the 100th) with like 95% of them being very viable. The remaining 5% are below par, but in my opinion every variation can work.

- Variation system is great for character loyalists who get several different ways to play, be it for fun or to cover specific matchups.

- Fatalities are probably the best they've ever been (MKX is my first MK game so I don't have much to compare it to) and brutalities are a hype way to end matches. Also X-rays are sweeet.

- Some of us here view it as a bad thing, but MKX is very accessible, which helps the community grow as a whole.

- Interactables give a purpose to different srages.

Again, certain balancing and gameplay design decisions can be questionable to some (safe 50/50s and the like), but basically everything besides that is done very right.

Last edited:

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
It's NetherRealm's most refined game to date, a lot of love went into it. The quality of this game compared to many fighters is way superior, from the online, modes, single player content, characters, all the way down to the level of detail in animation and art design.
Let's hope Injustice doesn't get stepchild treatment this time.

VOR

Noob
1. Trades

2. Decently balanced, mostly every character has a chance of going somewhere

3. armor is well managed, it's good but not too good and the right characters have the right amount

4. The cast is pretty good, including the new characters AND guest characters. I hated Leatherface at first but he's actually pretty fun.

5. It's fast, but a lot of mixups have different startups, ranges, or appropriate risk/reward factor.

6. Netcode is now useable and players online have better sportsmanship than that in the past.

7. Run button

8. Run/fireball cancels for multiple characters

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I love MKX since day 1.
I don't know why, it's the f...ing Mortal Kombat more awesome than ever.
But my old MK9 main, Sektor and Smoke, doesn't come back and the online was horrible and I couldn't enjoy the game as much as I would.

Things change, sometimes in a very good way.
The introduction of Triborg allow me to play with my favorite characters and the new netcode is simply perfect.

So, this is why I will love MKXL until a new MK will come.
Beside my personal reason, it's a very well done fighting game and videogame in general, with a lot of contents.

This thread is a good idea.

1.) Bringing my favorite character back and giving her sick new tools like the naginata she didn't have in Deception.

2.) Fantastic new characters like Kotal, Erron, D'vorah, Cassie and Ferra/Torr (I honestly kind of like Jacqui too, pls no bully).

3.) Awesome new designs for characters I love like Mileena (them lips), Kano and Quan Chi.

4.) Brutalities, I know everyone has said it but how can you not mention brutalities when talking about reasons you love MKXL?

5.) Kombat Kards! Why hasn't anyone mentioned how awesome it is to have a personalized card to show off the cool stuff you've done or the characters that you play?

6.) The fact that I get to represent the Brotherhood of Shadow

7.) In-game frame data, didn't realize how great we have it until I picked up SFV and was like "How fast is cr.LP? Where is the data? What theeeee."

8.) THE LAB OVERHAUL! MKX has the slickest practice mode I've ever encountered, allowing you to recreate a multitude of scenarios that occur in real matches so that you can learn from your mistakes and better understand matchups and characters. There is no way I'd be able to improve at this game without it.

9.) The support that NRS has shown to the competitive aspects of the game, their seemingly undying support for the tournament scene being the chief example.

10.) The tourney scene in general, from the tiny local I won in October (only time I've ever competed so I'm totally gonna bring it up) to the biggest FGC event of the year in EVO. Tournaments will always be my favorite thing about fighting games.

11.) This is the game that introduced me to TYM, so I will always love it for that. <3

There are so many more reasons but let's leave it at that to keep things relatively short, shall we?

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Fixing online so it is a showing of skill over lag playing bs. And for fixing the hitbox on db2 for my man liu. No more low profiling ex :)