What's new

Reasons we LOVE Mortal Kombat XL

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Ermacs Spectral variation
Ermacs MoS variation
Ermacs Krimson Skin
Ermac
Ermac
Ermac

Oh, and support from WB/NRS to keep the competitive scene fresh, rewarding & now international! (HYPESPOTTING!)

The game is a belter! :D

belter
noun
informal
  1. 1.
    an exceptional or outstanding example of something.
    "Cybernetic Kano's up-laser buff was a belter!" :DOGE @Youphemism
FUCKING UP LASER

Matix218

Get over here!
If favors too much scrubbyness. Full screen advancing strings, impossible to anti air attacks, impossible to whiff punish strings, everything safe on block. Dumb pokes etc. to be considered a great game.
Do you actually play the game? You seem to be spouting off very generic statements. I have no issues anti airing in this game and most characters have one or two moves that work really well as aa's. Few characters have advancing strings that go even close to full screen, even smoke's b2 doesn't advance full screen. "Dumb pokes"? Most pokes are get out of pressure tools that have fast start up and are plus on hit but minus on block. How is that "dumb"? That's what pokes in mk games are for.

It sounds like you just want mk to be exactly like street fighter and if it is not you deem it "scrubby" but if you want street fighter then go play street fighter! I am glad that we have fighting games with so much variety and mk certainly brings a lot to the table to differentiate itself from the pack and IMO that is not a bad thing.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
1. Cassie Cage(duh)
2. Brutalities
3. Fatalities
4. Vortexes(I came from Marvel and played Viper. They're hype to me!)
5. Tournament support
6. Fun DLC
7. Costumes(Cassie needs more)
8. Story mode
9. Living Towers
10. Fun to play at a high or casual level

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Do you actually play the game? You seem to be spouting off very generic statements. I have no issues anti airing in this game and most characters have one or two moves that work really well as aa's. Few characters have advancing strings that go even close to full screen, even smoke's b2 doesn't advance full screen. "Dumb pokes"? Most pokes are get out of pressure tools that have fast start up and are plus on hit but minus on block. How is that "dumb"? That's what pokes in mk games are for.

It sounds like you just want mk to be exactly like street fighter and if it is not you deem it "scrubby" but if you want street fighter then go play street fighter! I am glad that we have fighting games with so much variety and mk certainly brings a lot to the table to differentiate itself from the pack and IMO that is not a bad thing.
I love the game but I'm not blind to its issues.

Specially when im walking/backdashing or jumping back in order to whiff punish an advancing string and still get hit by it anyway.

I just gave up and NJP everything now.

Jumping attacks that can only be anti aired with fast armor aka Lao's EH spin.

Safe everything, unreactable 50/50s, some plus on block.

Pokes that are only -1 or -3 for poke mashing on block specially online and don't say who cares avout online cause 98% on MK players can only play online.

Punishable moves that have massive blockstun u can barely punish it by mashing fast reversals and if u are a frame or two off you miss your punishment and get full combo punished for it.

They added more landing recovery to air attacks but it barely feels like cuz it's still close to impossible to trip guard it.

The list goes on....

BlackGoutetsu

Hyakki Gosho
Having arguments with one person while helping them out on an entirely different subject (@omooba :D)

All the shit Ferra/Torr says
"MEEEEEBOOOOYYYYY"
"WE BREAK FACE"
"TORRRRRIFIC!!"
"ZAP ZAP NO HURT WE"(talking to raiden)

Sweet brutalities (some unnecessarily hard)
Comebacks are real
Unique character intros (I feel like this is part of why I never really picked up a fighter like street fighter or Soulcaliber like I have mkx, hearing the same shit over and over is annoying)
Ferra/Torr
Ferra/Torr
Ferra
Torr

did I mention Ferra/Torr!?!? (seriously tho guys I have been in love with this character since day 1, even when we were actually mid to lower tier I was still winning and still loving the two)

And my favourite thing about MKXL?

You guys, the community, if I talk toomuch I'll prolly start crying at work but despite my snide remarks, smart ass attitude, I have a deep appreciation for YOU, all the info, all the shit talk, all the love, all of it. It's the best part of playing this game. Lets keep it up guys.

Ma hart

E

Eldriken

I love the quality of the sound effects. They're top notch, which we should expect from NRS. They always deliver in that regard.

Brutalities are amazing. Butcher easily has the best one in the game while Jason is right up there with his EX dbf2 in Relentless with Pursuit active.

Jason's character design as a whole. I really feel they nailed his design. Some of what you see him do in the game are things you would expect to see him do in a movie.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
A lot of it has already been said but oh well.

• sound effect of when moves are blocked (everything sounds really really beefy)
  • the fact that the characters are aging along with the times (as we all are)
  • the pre-fight lines are pretty funny
  • the Round 2 and Round 3 sections of the Music are S+ tier
  • the Run button is back
  • The fact NRS improved the net-code for online play
  • Fast Gameplay
  • Title Cards have callbacks to older MK games
  • Dial-a-combos
  • Dan Forden is still a part of the MK team even though he isn't composing all of the music
  • Brutalities are back and really good
  • The fact that we actually had to play, seek out and discuss some of the secrets as a community!

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Good to have some positivity on TYM now that things have been salty for the past two weeks. Thanks Wang.

The thing with MKX seems to be that many people find the game's fighting formula to not be that great, but the game excels in everything else.

- Graphically there is huge attention to detail. For instance, try Metallic's lava uprock and see all the individual particles. It's impressive. Of course that's just one example, but pretty much every character has great detail put into them and their moves.

- The intros are 100x better than every other fighting game out there. I can only hear Jago's bland "I'm afraid your path ends here" so many times.

- The game has actual story behind it that is more than ending cutscenes.

- Alternate costumes are legit alternate costumes, not just different colors.

- Practice mode is absolutely godlike. Recording the AI makes everything so much easier to lab.

- There is a wealth of characters in the game. Pretty sure we have 100 variations at this moment (Cyber Sub is the 100th) with like 95% of them being very viable. The remaining 5% are below par, but in my opinion every variation can work.

- Variation system is great for character loyalists who get several different ways to play, be it for fun or to cover specific matchups.

- Fatalities are probably the best they've ever been (MKX is my first MK game so I don't have much to compare it to) and brutalities are a hype way to end matches. Also X-rays are sweeet.

- Some of us here view it as a bad thing, but MKX is very accessible, which helps the community grow as a whole.

- Interactables give a purpose to different srages.

Again, certain balancing and gameplay design decisions can be questionable to some (safe 50/50s and the like), but basically everything besides that is done very right.

that's jago's outro quote, mkxl also has the same outro every time.

it's interesing to see posts in the hate thread concerned with the gameplay and less focus on the casual content, a trend this thread will probably follow

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
that's jago's outro quote, mkxl also has the same outro every time.

it's interesing to see posts in the hate thread concerned with the gameplay and less focus on the casual content, a trend this thread will probably follow
Now that you mention it, Jago's outro is indeed a bad comparison. The idea was that in most fighting games you hear the same lines every time while that's less so the case in MKX, with fatalities, intros and brutalities.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
MKX just feels clean as hell to play. Very fluid and rewarding. Don't have to talk about the aesthetics because NRS has always been godlike at that.

The amount of contents and the details are really great, if its not so scrubby friendly it wouldve been perfect, you cant attract international competitors with that much 50/50s and derp jumps

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
1. The chance to play Mk in 2016. A far cry from 1992 when I was a 10 year old boy playing arcade games with my little brothers. Now... I'm teaching my children. Thanks NRS. You've always been part of the fam. Always will be.;)

2. The story. The most in depth story for a fighting game in history and continuing to evolve.

3.The new characters.

4. Returning characters but how you aged them to look so bloody Kool.

5. The old school meets the new as in the cast.

6. The innovative ways of interactibles.

7. Keeping true to the dial up combo system.

9. The constant support and evolution of the game. Thank you so much.

10. The community. The mk community is extremely knowledgeable and intelligent with the FGC. Giving old folks like myself a chance to teach younglings the physical skills and mathematics of the game.

11. Meter burns. So Kool.

12. Armor. And the intricate ways to use it. So much fun.

13. Khan's Courtyard

14. Destroyed City both past and present.

15. Goro. Super awesome to play as a former boss.

16. Meter burned throws to continue combo's into brutalites. Kano has extra swag now.

17. Negative edge, input short cuts and diagonal inputs.

18. Survivor Koth and tower and endless tower.

19. Guest characters as dlc. Not a huge fan but I still think it's pretty kool.

20. The support for both offline with the inclusion of micro-transactions of the going to tournaments and ESL. Very nice. I hope it does not end till the next mk title.

21. The variation system. MKDA & MKD Resurrected in 2016 folks. Great stuff.

23. The comic that told the the story in between mk9 and mkx. Awesome idea.

24. The improved online play. So. So. SOOOO GOOD!!!

25. The Kombat card and how we constantly have to play towers to get interesting borders. Awesome idea.

26. The improved training mode from the stock training mode from mk9.

27. The music and grittiness from the way it sounds from my TV. So nice.

28. The brutalites and the way we have to execute it.

29. Hidden brutalites

30. The return of stage fatalities.

31. The gore and grossness of the game.

32. The way nrs as interacted with the community and gave us a heads up and kombat cast of the game and patches. I hope this will never end.

33. Mkx moble. My girl LOVES it! Dames...:p

34. A beta to let us test the new online and pre patch to post patch characters. Nice touch.

35. The krypt. That is awesome. I just wish it can still be more stuff to unlock though:oops:

36. Ending stories for most characters. I'm so hyped for the thoughts of playing Kano's son one day.

37. Quitalities. Really really great idea.

38. All the hidden stuff we haven't found yet.

39. The hype to wait till I get time off from work and life to play MKX.

40. Playing it G. Of course.:D

Bonus. Kano!!! He's so Kool. Older. Stronger. More enhanced moves and he's a beast on the set. You guys made him gangster in the comic and a dangerous mercenary in the story mode. Man. Huge props for the design and game play for my dude.

Gotta have my main man up in here brah.

WATCHD0G

Noob
Character variety
Character personality
Great story
the character selection screen.
Johnny freaking Cage.....so damn funny
the general evolution of the game in the past year