What's new

Rain General Discussion

My favorite Rain combo was Rain/Jax until they nerfed ground pound. Then Stryker because he gets crazy damage using water beam cancels while in hitstun from G-Nades giving rain 40% midscreen with 211/F3/F21/11 and a bunch of damage in corner. But he loses the HTB whirlpool setups and gains very strong frametrap pressure that's essentially OS

Fatality o

Cigretts PSN
My favorite Rain combo was Rain/Jax until they nerfed ground pound. Then Stryker because he gets crazy damage using water beam cancels while in hitstun from G-Nades giving rain 40% midscreen with 211/F3/F21/11 and a bunch of damage in corner. But he loses the HTB whirlpool setups and gains very strong frametrap pressure that's essentially OS
Yeah my next learn will be Stryker for sure. I’m sure you made vids on all that stuff, I will be checking it out

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The confluence beam and teleport aspects of the portal aren't too useful, but the recovery and meter build is quite insane. They have there uses in matches ups like Peacemaker, confluence beam is one of the few things that hits force field. Teleport can be fun in the corner but nothing scary so far. We should all be doing more portals in general for meter build alone though. It's great at all ranges too. Full screen it's meter build city, mid screen you can do portal and look for a jump or advance, and in pressure most people can't react to a portal in time to counterpoke right now

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Rotha or whatever that dudes name is on r1p's arena uses portals all the time and it looks super dope.

Disappointed by another patch with no buffs to portals and water shield. His design change to a mage was fresh and original but they're just giving him more ninja moves

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Rain's having a high hitting S3 is unsurprising but it has to be one of the most misleading animations for a normal in fighting game history

LEGEND

YES!
So what are the current best Kameo options for Rain?

I saw some discussion on here about it but it's all a few months back. Currently using Scorpion but Jax looks pretty good as well.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
So what are the current best Kameo options for Rain?

I saw some discussion on here about it but it's all a few months back. Currently using Scorpion but Jax looks pretty good as well.
I want to know the answer as well, want to pick him up - I feel like I see Stryker or Sub the most in KL, Sub doesn't seem super real though and I personally almost never get caught by the HTB setup. I'm starting to see some Cyrax as well since net just naturally combos from b3.

LEGEND

YES!
I want to know the answer as well, want to pick him up - I feel like I see Stryker or Sub the most in KL, Sub doesn't seem super real though and I personally almost never get caught by the HTB setup. I'm starting to see some Cyrax as well since net just naturally combos from b3.
After playing with Cyrax alot yesterday, let me tell you, do NOT go for the B3 net combo outside of a direct punish.

You'll try and wiff punish a button with B3 -> Bf1 (cancel), B3 -> Net and the Net won't link due to the travel time. This link only works close up, in the normal range of B3, not as a punish for any wiffed button. You need to go straight into B34 after a canceled B3. Happened to me so many times yesterday. So frustrating.

After two days playing the character, it feels like his AA options kind suck? and anything punishable that's outside of B3 or F1 range still goes unchecked. So he can get abused by otherwise risky moves.

Still lost on what Kameo to play. Cyrax is ok due to throw combos and punish damage. The meter drain from Net is insanely broken. I feel like you miss out on lots of little conversion that Scorpion is able to pick up though. Stryker seems boring but could help his neutral. I agree that Sub doesn't feel real, more of a counter pick to zoning matchups maybe.

Sonya is pretty fun after the patch. She can link leg grab off of b3 cancel f1 for a side switch/portal positioning. She can also give you air combos off of b34.

After playing with Cyrax alot yesterday, let me tell you, do NOT go for the B3 net combo outside of a direct punish.

You'll try and wiff punish a button with B3 -> Bf1 (cancel), B3 -> Net and the Net won't link due to the travel time. This link only works close up, in the normal range of B3, not as a punish for any wiffed button. You need to go straight into B34 after a canceled B3. Happened to me so many times yesterday. So frustrating.

After two days playing the character, it feels like his AA options kind suck? and anything punishable that's outside of B3 or F1 range still goes unchecked. So he can get abused by otherwise risky moves.

Still lost on what Kameo to play. Cyrax is ok due to throw combos and punish damage. The meter drain from Net is insanely broken. I feel like you miss out on lots of little conversion that Scorpion is able to pick up though. Stryker seems boring but could help his neutral. I agree that Sub doesn't feel real, more of a counter pick to zoning matchups maybe.
Yup, that's pretty good advice. You can get a deceptively deep forward dash off the first B3 cancel to allow a significantly closer second B3, makes the net alot more guarenteed but it's tight and online it's very tricky.

Standing 1 is my go to AA with him, it's very meh. His D2 has a surprisingly bad veritcal and horizontal hitbox for its animation.

I been really trying to mix in the cancels lately, they definitely give the opponent a bit more to think about, that 211 cancel has gotten me a lot of mileage so far. Having Cyrax with the option of decent meterless damage and optional setup stuff, plus the meter drain from net, makes it a decent choice right now imo. I was always a sub player but cyrax kinda gives a little more. I do like the ease of conversions from scorpion, but the one I really wanna mess with is Sonya. Her charged ring stuff is really good, and I'm sure there's lots of mileage with cancels mixed into the pressure.

wsj515

It seems to me that absolute max range b3 canceled on hit isn't just a Cyrax problem, at that range db1 doesn't even connect, you need to finish b34. Any range db1 connects, I think net will connect too.

wsj515

Standing 1 is my go to AA with him, it's very meh. His D2 has a surprisingly bad veritcal and horizontal hitbox for its animation.
Have you ever tried using s3 to AA? Slow startup at 16f, but has 6 active frames and disjointed hitbox, I haven't tried it in a live match but seems to beat out the best jik's like Johnny's pretty freely. Reasonable conversions after as well from what I've found if you spend a kameo or a bar, though best I can do meterless / no kameo is 125 w/ s3 1 db3

It seems to me that absolute max range b3 canceled on hit isn't just a Cyrax problem, at that range db1 doesn't even connect, you need to finish b34. Any range db1 connects, I think net will connect too.
You're right, damn, I was just labbing that again. On full max, even a full dash off the water beam cancel from B3 isn't quite enough to guarentee the net. Must have messed up my testing before. It definitely makes it a little more consistent on some of those farther reaching B3s but not enough to be full range. My bad.

Have you ever tried using s3 to AA? Slow startup at 16f, but has 6 active frames and disjointed hitbox, I haven't tried it in a live match but seems to beat out the best jik's like Johnny's pretty freely. Reasonable conversions after as well from what I've found if you spend a kameo or a bar, though best I can do meterless / no kameo is 125 w/ s3 1 db3
I haven't really, just cause I'm so used to going S1 or Up block, I will certainly give it a go.

wsj515

You're right, damn, I was just labbing that again. On full max, even a full dash off the water beam cancel from B3 isn't quite enough to guarentee the net. Must have messed up my testing before. It definitely makes it a little more consistent on some of those farther reaching B3s but not enough to be full range. My bad.
I definitely think its still worth doing, just need to learn the ranges, and it really is only the literally max range I think where it doesn't work, where only the little water burst is connecting and not Rain's foot at all.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
Whats the deal with portal? Ive noticed if you have 1 portal out and do an air teleport near it. You can jump into the close by portal and come out the one you just placed. I kept doing it on accident and it was tripping me out

Whats the deal with portal? Ive noticed if you have 1 portal out and do an air teleport near it. You can jump into the close by portal and come out the one you just placed. I kept doing it on accident and it was tripping me out
It's a funky glitch. When I first saw Roethar doing it I thought it was on purpose

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Mr Aquaman talking a big game during the Kolosseum finals stream on some Janet corner setups... show us the tech!
On average Rain/Janet will hit 450-550 depending on the starter and new cancel

Here is Ketchup showing off some initial damage. She converts off near everything Rain does too including the zoning + b2 to give him a safe low launching check. Set's up Jento really well in the corner off high launches into a 1,1 Janet summon into armor breaking pressure.