What's new

Rain General Discussion

If anyone knows how to input this new Sonic Rain Jax Jump Cancel Kombo from EXDB1 into BF1 charged. I am struggling to get it. They nerfed DB1 to DB1 cancels but this is still in and it grants HTBs with Jax

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If anyone knows how to input this new Sonic Rain Jax Jump Cancel Kombo from EXDB1 into BF1 charged. I am struggling to get it. They nerfed DB1 to DB1 cancels but this is still in and it grants HTBs with Jax
I was going to ask the same thing!

In the meantime, let us summarize what Jax gives Rain.
  • 100 more health points, which is noticeable.
  • Easy meter-less damage. Around 30% from a jab and 33% from f+2,1 and 2,1,1.
  • Combos from back throw, which I find difficult to time at this moment. Obviously, forward throw has follow ups with meter.
  • EX close geyser leads to far backbreaker, but you have to be close and call Jax early.
  • The last hits of f+2,1 and 1,1,4 jail into energy wave on block.
  • Some synergy between Rain God and ground pound?

bmoee1

Noob
It’s really hard to see but his inputs show he is pressing b,u,f 1 after he calls for far jax back breaker. I still can’t get it.lol

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.

• Combos from back throw, which I find difficult to time at this moment. Obviously, forward throw has follow ups with meter.
  • EX close geyser leads to far backbreaker, but you have to be close and call Jax early.
absolutely. Call Jax early and make them block then use rain god to go off the ground. You can also use portals too!

It’s really hard to see but his inputs show he is pressing b,u,f 1 after he calls for far jax back breaker. I still can’t get it.lol
Are youvtalking about a Jump cancel combo?

Bluelinkys told me he can't do the jump cancel combo either. I'll ask around, maybe I can get a tournament player to release a guide.

I think Jax may be the light for Rain. I'm back from the hospital so I'll definitely try to lab up some stuff

bmoee1

Noob
Are youvtalking about a Jump cancel combo?

Bluelinkys told me he can't do the jump cancel combo either. I'll ask around, maybe I can get a tournament player to release a guide.

I think Jax may be the light for Rain. I'm back from the hospital so I'll definitely try to lab up some stuff
Yes, I’m referring to the video of sonic cancelling db1 into bf1 fully charged. Ran some Jax In kl last night and it was nice to convert a lot of meterless damage and off his geyser. I also got a few ground pound jump-ins to connect. I can only imagine what he has if we learn that cancel.

Last edited:
Yes, I’m referring to the video of sonic cancelling db1 into bf1 fully charged. Ran some Jax In kl last night and it was nice to convert a lot of meterless damage and off his geyser. I also got a few ground pound jump-ins to connect. I can only imagine what he has if we learn that cancel.
He has 40% meterless and 46% 1Bar if you can figure out the Jump Cancels timing.
I have no clue what I'm doing wrong, I've tried inputting EXDB1UxxBF[1]
I've tried holding Up after the DB1 input then instantly buffering to BF1 charged.
I get it to come out but not fast enough to catch with charged water beam for HTB setups or cash out.

When you see Sonics BUF1 that has to be a DPad error but I'll try that too.

He has 40% meterless and 46% 1Bar if you can figure out the Jump Cancels timing.
I have no clue what I'm doing wrong, I've tried inputting EXDB1UxxBF[1]
I've tried holding Up after the DB1 input then instantly buffering to BF1 charged.
I get it to come out but not fast enough to catch with charged water beam for HTB setups or cash out.

When you see Sonics BUF1 that has to be a DPad error but I'll try that too.
Out of curiosity, are you using input shortcuts or no? I found early on when the jump cancel tech was brought to light that it was literally impossible for me to do with my input config. I play on stick and always disable input shortcuts on NRS' games because of how awful it felt to me. Which screws me in this game for a number of useful jump cancel routes.

EX up beam into charged beam is kind of strict, but if you have input shortcuts on, the upback input is a valid input for the special, so doing the tiger knee motion immediately into bf1 gives you the jump cancel with relative ease. That's what I have found anyways, I don't know if it's just me or a stick thing but test that out and see if you get it.

Out of curiosity, are you using input shortcuts or no? I found early on when the jump cancel tech was brought to light that it was literally impossible for me to do with my input config. I play on stick and always disable input shortcuts on NRS' games because of how awful it felt to me. Which screws me in this game for a number of useful jump cancel routes.

EX up beam into charged beam is kind of strict, but if you have input shortcuts on, the upback input is a valid input for the special, so doing the tiger knee motion immediately into bf1 gives you the jump cancel with relative ease. That's what I have found anyways, I don't know if it's just me or a stick thing but test that out and see if you get it.
Input Shortcuts ON
Are you doing EXDB1 then U+BF1 or UBF1
Or what the hell is your input. I've asked several pros and every one of them gave me different inputs lol

Input Shortcuts ON
Or what the hell is your input. I've asked several pros and every one of them gave me different inputs lol
Well technically if you will forgive the anime notations, (it's easier in this instance to explain) I'm doing 2147(8)+EX upbeam. Again, basically a backwards tiger knee motion, then immediately into BF1.

If I get off work early, I can clip a short YouTube vid doing it. Again idk if my case is unique because I play on stick, but I cover all diagonal directions when I do this (alternate inputs is still turned off).

Last edited:
Input Shortcuts ON
Let me clarify now that I was able to get home and do it. For whatever reason my brain was thinking about how you would do back to back jump canceled up beams which I do with TK motions.

The ex up beam canceled into water beam is like this, with input shortcuts on:
exdb1 then make sure you release the b input for a couple frames to clear it then press b, uf1. The uf counts as both the jump and the forward input for beam thanks to input shortcuts being enabled.

Let me clarify now that I was able to get home and do it. For whatever reason my brain was thinking about how you would do back to back jump canceled up beams which I do with TK motions.

exdb1 then make sure you release the b input for a couple frames to clear it then press b, uf1. The uf counts as both the jump and the forward input for beam thanks to input shortcuts being enabled.
I didn't understand the Anime notations but I understand this, thank you. I'll test it out because Sonics combo into charged WB is a very good high damage midscreen Kombo with very good setup potential.
The charged water beam gives enough advantage to place a pool just behind them or right under them. The close one I understand if done at the perfect distance at the perfect frame can throw opponent into whirlpool launcher or F21 to push them back into it, or F3 to do the same.
I now understand why Sonic sets it up behind them. It does lose the Armor breaking capabilities when I set it up for throw timing but gains the ability to do OH, Low, OH or setting it up where it looks the same but is actually going to hit with whirlpool so it's Low to OH, OH.
And in this setup the 2 frame Auto HTB Block protection actually doesn't work because it doesn't autoblock where it takes me 8+ attempts on practice knowing the exact timing. Maybe I'm getting old at 34 but it seems like a 2 frame HTB.
Maybe if someone can use a program that lets you upload the video clip and go through each frame (60 FPS) one by one as pictures and you can tell just how many frame my setup is.
I've heard there are free programs for this but I'm unfamiliar.
I believe that's how frame data was discovered on MK9 if I'm not mistaken?

So are you doing a half circle or B to U+F1?

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
How are you guys punishing FBs with this character? For some freakish reason, a blocked FB has massive pushback on Rain.

This is just one example with Smoke being the most glaring one. This happens with Reptile, Kung Lao, Sindel and Li Mei, from the ones I tested so far. Subzero is also pretty inconsistent.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
How are you guys punishing FBs with this character? For some freakish reason, a blocked FB has massive pushback on Rain.

This is just one example with Smoke being the most glaring one. This happens with Reptile, Kung Lao, Sindel and Li Mei, from the ones I tested so far. Subzero is also pretty inconsistent.
honestlY? You really can't. Pushback hurts Rain a lot. In matchups like Reiko vs Rain, he can do random slide at you with no risk because of the pushback. The only thing that can truly punish things with pushback are certain kameos like Frost or Serena. Otherwise you'll be lucky if you can get a Geyser.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
honestlY? You really can't. Pushback hurts Rain a lot. In matchups like Reiko vs Rain, he can do random slide at you with no risk because of the pushback. The only thing that can truly punish things with pushback are certain kameos like Frost or Serena. Otherwise you'll be lucky if you can get a Geyser.
Bruh, this needs to be fixed. It's one thing when a character can't punish something because they don't have the range and/or frame data to do it, and another when a move that is upwards of -20 can't be punished because the opponent gets pushed away and it's specific to a character.

Bruh, this needs to be fixed. It's one thing when a character can't punish something because they don't have the range and/or frame data to do it, and another when a move that is upwards of -20 can't be punished because the opponent gets pushed away and it's specific to a character.

You can easily punish it with neutral jump, dash forward, or UpBlock. There is about 8 characters you can punish with UpBlock and a bunch you can neutral jump, a few you can flawless punish.

I been experimenting with other kameos but I keep coming back to cyrax. The ability to get 20 percent off a back throw into Oki is too good especially paired with the f3 Kara cancel. The combo extension especially off of his armor is nice as well. Cyrax forward chopper is limited but still usable and can come in clutch for chip out scenarios.

I been experimenting with other kameos but I keep coming back to cyrax. The ability to get 20 percent off a back throw into Oki is too good especially paired with the f3 Kara cancel. The combo extension especially off of his armor is nice as well. Cyrax forward chopper is limited but still usable and can come in clutch for chip out scenarios.
I won't use Cyrax Forward Kopter because it disables your ability to use Forward Throw, Kameo Moves, Meat Shield, Combo Breaker, for 1/3 of the match (24 seconds)

I use Jax, he gives Rain nasty HTB's, very good meterless damage, combos off back throw, forward throw does 21% for 2 Bars and allows side switch for 1Bar(16%), gives you midscreen 46% combos for a bar using Kara Jump Cancel Kombos to catch them with fully charged water beam. Kara Jump Cancels let you remove recover of EXDB1 and go directly into BF1 or BF4 or another DB1.
For the HTB setup and 40% midscreen with charges water beam you input: EXDB1xxF+R2, wait till you can jump, press BU+F[1](hold 1 =[1]).

Jump Cancel Kombo with F21:

Here's the Jump Cancel Setups:

There's a mix where you can put pool down behind them at the perfect distance and throw them in pool or hit with F32 for combo
They can armor wakeup so be careful and bait it or do a close whirlpool if they are Armor heavy, they don't get breaker if they Armor
; )
Throw into pool hard to armor, and you can do it just frame to jail it into throw but if they block low you win, if they jump you lose, if they press buttons, you win:

This one Breaks Armor but delay wake-up changes timing, you can react or read it and setup accordingly:

Here's an example of what you can do meterless with it, if you spend 1Bar each combo you get 40% each HTB setup but 30% 3 times is 90% plus what you took getting them in the corner:

If you are Zoning and want to cover both the sky and ground at once, Kara Jump Cancels do this for you:
You just input F21xxEXDB1xxF+R1, wait till it is about to hit to call Jax so it's the last available frame, this gives you enough time to input BF4
But input BU+F4 ( so B then U+F,1) you input it like your doing Water Beam (BF1) or Whirlpool(BF4)
"Input Shortcuts has to be ON"

Hope this helps you, this literally makes Rain twice as strong

Last edited:
I won't use Cyrax Forward Kopter because it disables your ability to use Forward Throw, Kameo Moves, Meat Shield, Combo Breaker, for 1/3 of the match (24 seconds)

I use Jax, he gives Rain nasty HTB's, very good meterless damage, combos off back throw, forward throw does 21% for 2 Bars and allows side switch for 1Bar(16%), gives you midscreen 46% combos for a bar using Kara Jump Cancel Kombos to catch them with fully charged water beam. Kara Jump Cancels let you remove recover of EXDB1 and go directly into BF1 or BF4 or another DB1.
For the HTB setup and 40% midscreen with charges water beam you input: EXDB1xxF+R2, wait till you can jump, press BU+F[1](hold 1 =[1]).

Jump Cancel Kombo with F21:

Here's the Jump Cancel Setups:

There's a mix where you can put pool down behind them at the perfect distance and throw them in pool or hit with F32 for combo
They can armor wakeup so be careful and bait it or do a close whirlpool if they are Armor heavy, they don't get breaker if they Armor
; )
Throw into pool hard to armor, and you can do it just frame to jail it into throw but if they block low you win, if they jump you lose, if they press buttons, you win:

This one Breaks Armor but delay wake-up changes timing, you can react or read it and setup accordingly:

Here's an example of what you can do meterless with it, if you spend 1Bar each combo you get 40% each HTB setup but 30% 3 times is 90% plus what you took getting them in the corner:

If you are Zoning and want to cover both the sky and ground at once, Kara Jump Cancels do this for you:
You just input F21xxEXDB1xxF+R1, wait till it is about to hit to call Jax so it's the last available frame, this gives you enough time to input BF4
But input BU+F4 ( so B then U+F,1) you input it like your doing Water Beam (BF1) or Whirlpool(BF4)
"Input Shortcuts has to be ON"

Hope this helps you, this literally makes Rain twice as strong
Appreciate this high effort comment. You convinced me to try him out.

Fatality o

Cigretts PSN
Rain/Scorpion sets vs a good Johnny/Stryker. Scorpion is a decent kameo for rain, any bnb is 40%~ with 1 bar into free air portal or more hit advantage, you get a full 30%~ combo off any J32.

Armor becomes a launcher, more combos off stuff you normally can’t, can throw his overhead after 114 or F21 for a quick check into full combo on hit.

Obv he loses his water beam setup with Sub Zero but I was mainly looking for a kameo that could combo off J32 and Scorp delivers.

Last edited: