What's new

General/Other - Raiden Raiden General Discussion

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
it requires precision, ive been a displacer since day 1 and now that my inputs are on time, offline everything is consistent and online sometimes lag messes with it but hopefully new net will change that
I know it's very precise but it has to be inconsistent because i often get delay wakeup
What needs to happen is one of three things:
  • Teleport's input gets changed from D,U to something else.
  • Delayed wake up's input gets changed.
  • Teleport requires a button press instead of just directions.
The way it is now is just bad design imo.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Agreed

I thought DU was a bad input from day one because whenever I want to instant njp from crouching it teleports and every now and then ill just jump up instead of teleport which sucks

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I thought DU was a bad input from day one because whenever I want to instant njp from crouching it teleports and every now and then ill just jump up instead of teleport which sucks
I only started playing displacer a little bit ago after giving up on MoS and someone mentioned how good some of his things actually are. Like theoretically being able to get out of anything with ex teleport. Too bad the inputs are sucky and overlap with common stuff. Played against an Erron that had no problem sliding at me. So now I'm constantly crouching but if he does like a run and I try to NJP it I get teleport and fucked up.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
So I've been playing him for a day now and here's what I notice:

Teleport input should change because good luck waking up with that shit. Also, I think EX teleport would be insane that way. Raiden could be full combo punishing errythang.

I don't know how to play this characer yet but it feels like I have to commit to everything if I want big damage. Either that or I'm like chipping away at a rock with f12b2 as my shovel.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I don't know how to play this characer yet but it feels like I have to commit to everything if I want big damage. Either that or I'm like chipping away at a rock with f12b2 as my shovel.
That's my consensus on Raiden too.

Any opinions on how raidens gameplay in the neutral would change it 2 was a mid?
If it doesn't become faster then he'd have a 10f mid while standing still. He needs f2 to hit reliably. I'd like b1 and b11 to be less negative to try and get some stagger stuff going. But Raiden would need a few frame changes to really get any good pressure going. He used to have a quick mid to mix in with other buttons so he gets a chance to do stuff but since he has a 50/50 and superman he can't have any other nice things

Vaiist

Noob
It's dumb hard for me to cancel b2 into teleport.
Basically press b2, immediately press down, wait until the first hit makes contact, then press and hold up. With a low poke, say d3, it would be d,3,u, and you can cancel that way. It took me a long time to get hang the hang of this, but once you do it's nice to know you can throw those in there every once in awhile just to mix things up.

As for his teleport inputs, I guess I'm just lucky. I played a ton of Zatanna in Injustice, so I was used to how the fingers have to move. That + using a hitbox = not ever a problem. People talk about how a hitbox doesn't help with MK the way it does other games, but I think Raiden is one of the characters that actually really benefits from it.

P3irce

Noob
New to Raiden but finally getting a hang of him, have a question regarding the his special move down away 3. What are the practical uses for it? Does it have better scaling or anything notable compared to ex shocker ?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Basically press b2, immediately press down, wait until the first hit makes contact, then press and hold up. With a low poke, say d3, it would be d,3,u, and you can cancel that way. It took me a long time to get hang the hang of this, but once you do it's nice to know you can throw those in there every once in awhile just to mix things up.

As for his teleport inputs, I guess I'm just lucky. I played a ton of Zatanna in Injustice, so I was used to how the fingers have to move. That + using a hitbox = not ever a problem. People talk about how a hitbox doesn't help with MK the way it does other games, but I think Raiden is one of the characters that actually really benefits from it.
Lol "wait until the first hit makes contact", you must really be on a hitbox cause I don't see how I'm going to that on pad. Whenever I try the cancel it just feels like b2du. Like it's all one input with no real time to "wait". I can input the "D,U" before the second hit of B2 comes out but the move is so far along that it doesn't "count". And I think it has a shorter window than all the other special moves. Everything just feels off with the teleport input.

Vaiist

Noob
Lol "wait until the first hit makes contact", you must really be on a hitbox cause I don't see how I'm going to that on pad. Whenever I try the cancel it just feels like b2du. Like it's all one input with no real time to "wait". I can input the "D,U" before the second hit of B2 comes out but the move is so far along that it doesn't "count". And I think it has a shorter window than all the other special moves. Everything just feels off with the teleport input.
Yeah a hitbox really helps. It feels like letting the first hit make contact between the down and up inputs is really the key. It's definitely a weird cancel and I didn't even think it was possible until I saw someone on here talking about it. I finally chose to hunker down and learn it, and while I can do it fine in practice it's still not the easiest thing to pull off in the heat of actual battle.

P.S.
What happened to Uncle Pennybags?

That's my consensus on Raiden too.

If it doesn't become faster then he'd have a 10f mid while standing still. He needs f2 to hit reliably. I'd like b1 and b11 to be less negative to try and get some stagger stuff going. But Raiden would need a few frame changes to really get any good pressure going. He used to have a quick mid to mix in with other buttons so he gets a chance to do stuff but since he has a 50/50 and superman he can't have any other nice things
B11 is just as negative on block as f24. In game frame data is wrong.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
B11 is just as negative on block as f24. In game frame data is wrong.
Why are you talking about F24? I didn't know it was -9 though.

Yeah a hitbox really helps. It feels like letting the first hit make contact between the down and up inputs is really the key. It's definitely a weird cancel and I didn't even think it was possible until I saw someone on here talking about it. I finally chose to hunker down and learn it, and while I can do it fine in practice it's still not the easiest thing to pull off in the heat of actual battle.

P.S.
What happened to Uncle Pennybags?
It's so weird I don't even think I'd bother with it when I feel there are better buttons to cancel in to teleport with. Does b2xxTeleport need to be EX to actually be effective? As in not get punished and/or give you some more pressure or mixups.

She is cosplaying as a new Tekken 7 character. Some tekken dudes around here don't like her (the character) and I want to play as her, so i figured why not and I get to do some trolling too.

Vaiist

Noob
Does b2xxTeleport need to be EX to actually be effective? As in not get punished and/or give you some more pressure or mixups..
It depends really. It doesn't create a ton of advantage or anything, but if you use it here and there you can really throw people off because they're expecting the second hit of the overhead. It's a psychological tool really. It's kinda like how after I throw a few 214s out there, I'll start mixing in 21 b2 since they're now expecting a low. Although it tends to appear unwise on paper, it works most of the time just because of conditioning.

Basically if it hits you get a 50/50 opportunity, otherwise you're neutral. Actually, come to think of, I've never really done extensive testing with the frame advantage. It's possible I just get away with dirt because people aren't used to Displacer in the first place and it's rare to see this situation at all.

Not an amazing tactic, but it never hurts to have more tools in your kit.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Is displacer a possible darkhorse considering reo has brought up some reasonable points? At this point in the games life i find it a possibility. Heck, scar, bio, heyatai, raptor, and any other low tier hero that i missed has proved otherwise. I guess its just a matter of somebody putting in the work.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
@buyacushun I think what echo means is that b11 is completely safe, just like f24. In game shows b11 as -8 or -9 but is incorrect. I also don't think he needs to be able to stagger it, it's completely safe and hit comfortable into meterless 16%

Vaiist

Noob
Is displacer a possible darkhorse considering reo has brought up some reasonable points? At this point in the games life i find it a possibility. Heck, scar, bio, heyatai, raptor, and any other low tier hero that i missed has proved otherwise. I guess its just a matter of somebody putting in the work.
What I sense from hanging around the forums is that Displacer is generally considered his best variation from Raiden players, but none Raiden players assume Thunder God is his only viable variation. It's kind of weird really. Perhaps with PL using him in tournaments we might start to see more people try him out.

I think he's definitely slept on and has the strongest pressure out of all three.

Why are you talking about F24? I didn't know it was -9 though.

It's so weird I don't even think I'd bother with it when I feel there are better buttons to cancel in to teleport with. Does b2xxTeleport need to be EX to actually be effective? As in not get punished and/or give you some more pressure or mixups.

She is cosplaying as a new Tekken 7 character. Some tekken dudes around here don't like her (the character) and I want to play as her, so i figured why not and I get to do some trolling too.
Because those are his 2 mid strings...