What's new

General/Other - Raiden Raiden General Discussion

Yeap. I agree. That's why I think, with Thunder God, he should be able to win EVO if he learns the full potential of the character, and the match-ups. But I guess he's too busy with SF4, which is logic.
When MK9 came out, and they had the first big money tourney, he grinded hard and took TYM's money and straight BOUNCED. Quit the game.

That being said, MK9/IGAU vets are farther ahead in this game because of that experience, whereas MK9 was a more even playing field. I don't think he wins Evo this time, but because he's JWong and just makes everyone he plays drop shit they've never dropped in their lives, he'll prob prove me wrong.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Can lightning cancels be used to increase/decrease frame advantage/disadvantage on block? Any applications of LRC being used for pressure or spacing perhaps?

mrtom

Noob
Has anyone messed around with ending combos with B14 xx orb in Master of Storms variation when there's already another orb out? Haven't tested it yet, but there might be some set-ups there.
I don't find b14 very useful. It has to much push back leaving them well out of the beam. I've found 214 into an orb or ex orbs is much more useful, especially at the end of a juggle.

mrtom

Noob
I've been having pretty good results with f4 after d4 hits or far d4 on block. If your opponent tries to low poke this kind of goes right over the poke and nails them, very satisfying move to land. I never see anyone use this normal so just thought I'd mention it.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I've been having pretty good results with f4 after d4 hits or far d4 on block. If your opponent tries to low poke this kind of goes right over the poke and nails them, very satisfying move to land. I never see anyone use this normal so just thought I'd mention it.
People aren't used to low crushing moves in NRS games. Maybe there were some of them before, but most of them were bad. F4 is pretty risky too. That said, I'm not sure if it will work against some pokes like Quan's d3 that f'ing anti-airs for crying out loud. Although I'm not sure if it's likely that anyone will try to d3 from d4 range, so...

CJKRattlehead

Noticed last night if you stop an ex lightning at full screen right before a crouch blocking opponent if they let go of block it will hit them and if they don't it just sits there. You can convert this to a full combo by running into b14 lrc at full screen or just superman for 15%. I definetly need to look into more ex fireball setups.

CJKRattlehead

Also found b32 in the corner can be canceled into ex lightning and stopped instantly seems like it could be strong but haven't tried it in a match yet at least protects you for a NJP to prevent jumping over it which would be the only meterless escape

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Something I thought today, but couldn't check yet. Maybe a bunch of bull but still.

Is there a way to incorporate VB run cancels somewhere instead of LRC for non-TG Raidens? It's probably slower, but maybe can fit somewhere?

BrobaChett

GODSTOMPER
Something I thought today, but couldn't check yet. Maybe a bunch of bull but still.

Is there a way to incorporate VB run cancels somewhere instead of LRC for non-TG Raidens? It's probably slower, but maybe can fit somewhere?
Damn, I honestly didn't think of doing that with VB in thunder god. I'm really slacking in reading some of the Raiden forums. I just realized after anti-air cancel with that and one bar of meter you can get about 38%.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Damn, I honestly didn't think of doing that with VB in thunder god. I'm really slacking in reading some of the Raiden forums. I just realized after anti-air cancel with that and one bar of meter you can get about 38%.
Hm, I think we were discussing it on the first week when talking about meterless AAs. It's not that easy to do I guess and VB's traits (frame data and hitbox) make it quite situational so people aren't making 1st priority out of it, but maybe that's worth looking into.

That's not what I was talking about in previous post though. I'm thinking of extending non-TG combos with b14~VBRC in a manner similar to FRC. Although it may not have frame data for that, but I don't know. Some of the best links at the beginning of combos may be possible.

I kinda think that I'm not the first one to come up with this so maybe someone already tried and deemed that unviable, I dunno.

...aaaand people don't play "Raidens of the lost Art" anyway.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police

It's too slow to make anything connect or give you advantage off of anything worthwhile.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Noticed last night if you stop an ex lightning at full screen right before a crouch blocking opponent if they let go of block it will hit them and if they don't it just sits there. You can convert this to a full combo by running into b14 lrc at full screen or just superman for 15%. I definetly need to look into more ex fireball setups.
Yeah I've been playing with ex-lightning for the last couple weeks or so. Sometimes on knockdown, I'll throw the ex-lightning out, stop it right in front of them, and run at them. At this point I try to react to whatever they do. If it hits, I cancel the run with a njp into full combo for big damage. However, I haven't found a rock solid setup for this and it's way more viable in the corner as opposed to midscreen.

Midscreen will work... but they can also just walk back and you wasted a bar of meter for nothing. But in the corner... you can go for your 50/50.... or you can throw them into the ex-lightning which causes you to fall down, where you can tech roll into superman for something like 22%. It works just like sub's clone does but just doesn't last as long.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

I couldnt get it to combo off NJP, highest possible b14 VB RC so I doubt its possible, and if it is the timing must be insane

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Can anyone offer some tips on how to perfect Lightning Cancel? I am really struggling to hit it consistently without missing the combo afterward (I play on a arcade stick). What's the best way to practice

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Can anyone offer some tips on how to perfect Lightning Cancel? I am really struggling to hit it consistently without missing the combo afterward (I play on a arcade stick). What's the best way to practice
The most important part about getting LRC~followup to connect is getting your run out on the first possible frame after the lightning ball startup. What I do is... when I input lightning, I hold the 1 down, then on startup I start holding block (while still holding 1), then tap forward forward. Then I can let go of 1 and block to input the followup... whether it's 2 or f1. This causes the run to come out on the first possible frame and allows you enough time to connect a 2 or f1 in most cases, depending on how high in the air they were when you hit them with b14. The higher in the air they were when b14 hit, the more time you have to connect the follow up.

This also applies to run buffering out of literally anything else. Whatever you're run buffering out of... you can start holding block, then tap forward forward to run buffer out as opposed to tapping forward forward+block. This is what helped me anyways. Hopefully it helps you.

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
This also applies to run canceling out of literally anything else. Whatever you're run canceling out of... you can start holding block, then tap forward forward to run cancel out as opposed to tapping forward forward+block. This is what helped me anyways. Hopefully it helps you.
I think for anything else it doesn't involve cancels, but buffering.
Am I wrong?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Good call. I should have said buffering, not canceling.
I'm being anal here because for longest time people were using "run cancelling" and it resulted in some people believing that you can cancel stuff with run. Some exhibition-goers (prior to launch) even confirmed that without specifying anything. When the game came out, those who cared quickly realized that you only cancel holdable moves with dashes (which you can then turn into run as per basic rule), but some misconception stayed for a while.

That, or it's just me having a misconception about people having misconceptions because the latter aren't bores who would waste time going too much into terminological differences that don't quite matter in the context :p

Dukmunky

I'm being anal here because for longest time people were using "run cancelling" and it resulted in some people believing that you can cancel stuff with run. Some exhibition-goers (prior to launch) even confirmed that without specifying anything. When the game came out, those who cared quickly realized that you only cancel holdable moves with dashes (which you can then turn into run as per basic rule), but some misconception stayed for a while.

That, or it's just me having a misconception about people having misconceptions because the latter aren't bores who would waste time going too much into terminological differences that don't quite matter in the context :p
Thanks to everyone for the tips. Ill have to relearn that run buffer now that I have been doing ffblock for so long.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Same here. Thanks @Chaosphere for the tips.
I suppose [blk]+f,f works only when you buffer it? I've heard something about it, but never got to implement in my game. Gotta go and try.
Yeah holding block then tapping ff only works when you're buffering a run. You also can't start holding block too early. If you try it out in practice mode you'll see what I'm talking about.

Dukmunky

Yeah holding block then tapping ff only works when you're buffering a run. You also can't start holding block too early. If you try it out in practice mode you'll see what I'm talking about.
Yeah I think I've got it. Although I cankot fathom how people are able to pull off combos with this consistently