What's new

Player 1 has host advantage

Not really surprised. This won't make a difference in most cases but it is still an advantage that is always active to player1 before you the round even starts. It can leads to a lot of stupid stuff.

I mean I'm all for a meta game but this one is like "really?"

People getting their panties in a bunch about this is hysterical. If you were still playing this game while there were characters with 80 to 100% resets this shouldn't be that big of a deal to you.

In Chess, player 1 side (white) has the advantage too. You don't see chess players screaming hotfix over fucking chess...which is 100x bigger than MK9.
That's character wise, plus, cyrax isn't dominating and winning majors.

This is game wise. The game has meter draining glitches, random projectile whiffs, random advantage on certain strings/movesets (f3 cage, fakeout kick kitana), some stages lag OFFLINE (like the armory), and now this? i read the post where check posted 1p gets offensive adv, and 2p gets defensive adv?

Man I love mortal kombat, but these are fundamentally corrupted, not character wise. I understand certain characters are better than others, but cyrax needs his resets, it's not a big deal. Again, it's character wise

Why should we have to suffer random fundamental glitches when playing?
I won't drop this game, but man, :(

and in chess, you never butt heads into each other, you won't get your piece thrown away because you two moved at the same time, and white gets the advantage cause hes on "P1 side" does that mean p2 has to respect until p1 finishes his string, then p2 can react? no

Man I love mortal kombat, but these are fundamentally corrupted, not character wise. I understand certain characters are better than others, but cyrax needs his resets, it's not a big deal. Again, it's character wise

This is 100% correct. Things like these shouldn't be in the game because they are out of the players control and in most cases are not influenced by the players in almost every way. But it is in the game so you gotta deal with it or abandon the game. Those are your only options. Its highly doubtful that NRS will patch a game this far in its lifespan.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Not surprising. MK doesn't have trades, so one of the players need the advantage. However it always being player one is unfair and not balanced. It's really bad for competitive MK.

This is of course, assuming this is true. I trust Somberness but that doesn't mean he can't be wrong.

People getting their panties in a bunch about this is hysterical. If you were still playing this game while there were characters with 80 to 100% resets this shouldn't be that big of a deal to you.

In Chess, player 1 side (white) has the advantage too. You don't see chess players screaming hotfix over fucking chess...which is 100x bigger than MK9.
Chess is not a good example, since professional play tends to involve players playing both sides of the match (With players as Black attempting to at least get a draw in high level play)

MKK hanzo

and white gets the advantage cause hes on "P1 side" does that mean p2 has to respect until p1 finishes his string, then p2 can react? no
This, I was thinking some of that and pictured an scenario where for example, if its true that p2 has less recovery on some moves, it would be SCARIER than the p1 advantage. Imagine Kabal ndc rush down recovering faster or iagb...

Now that I think of it, its somewhat balanced, but it should NOT be there. Both players should think twice before attacking/punishing.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I just think the idea behind player 1 winning all even trades is retarded no matter what anyone says. Just like the input bug, random advantage, negative edge, easy inputs and ect. I still enjoy MK regardless, it's not like I'm dropping the game but hopefully they avoid shit like this in the future. I was always under the assumption that trades were for p1 or 2 on every other frame.

People crediting losses to this need to stfu though seriously. The same players have been winning for a long time now. If this was really a factor I'm sure results would be switching around like crazy. Besides, the chances of both players hitting an attack of the same speed on the same frame are not too great. How often do you think people actually get out an attack on the first frame possible?

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Does anyone know if this could be stance specific? For example, when I'm doing Raiden's EnFireBall in the player 2 corner, and then try a jump in punch, it will not combo if I'm facing away from the screen, only if I'm facing the screen.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
NO. If I can't blame my losses on player 1 host advantage/meter drain/random advantage/input bug/komplete edition/damage exploits then what am I supposed to do?
I couldn't agree more. Tired of hearing people making excuses as to why they lost. Just man up and admit you got outplayed.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
I don't have a problem with this one. Although fixing it would be great (just include the vita costumes when they fix it).

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
In response to others saying that it isn't a big deal, uhm yes it is. If you're on P2 and make a JIP trade for instance, (there's tons of other examples obviously), and P1 gets the advantage and you lose the round due to this then it's a problem in competitive play.

aj1701

Noob
Player advantage has been true since MK1.

Player 1 specific advantage has been true since MKDA.

Check can correct me if I am wrong.

I was told that it was reprogrammed for MK9 though and as per the colt quote that Osu 16 Bit posted. Maybe Somberness is just extremely unlucky?
In the older MKs, didn't they make up for this by allowing some kind of block canceling or something for player 2? Like p2 recovers a frame faster than p1? Or something?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
That's character wise, plus, cyrax isn't dominating and winning majors.

This is game wise. The game has meter draining glitches, random projectile whiffs, random advantage on certain strings/movesets (f3 cage, fakeout kick kitana), some stages lag OFFLINE (like the armory), and now this? i read the post where check posted 1p gets offensive adv, and 2p gets defensive adv?

and in chess, you never butt heads into each other, you won't get your piece thrown away because you two moved at the same time, and white gets the advantage cause hes on "P1 side" does that mean p2 has to respect until p1 finishes his string, then p2 can react? no
lol what? 1P side isn't dominating and winning majors either. The point of my post was this isn't that big of a deal compared to the other things found, not that there isn't anything wrong with it.

Yea its stupid, but there are far worse things in this game than 1P always winning all trades. Far worse things character specific-wise, and far worse things game engine specific-wise.

The chess analogy was just saying even one of the best game ever invented unintentionally has 1 player trying to overcome odds against the other. Your taking it way too literally dude.

Props to Somberness for doing the research. We'd be so lost without him. :p

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
So isnt this limited to if they press a button at the exact same time, player one wins it? Also, the move hase to be the exact same number of frames correct? What are the odds of 2 people pressing a button with the exact same frames at the exact same frame. So what if player one wins it, the odds of this happening seem very, very low and honestly I dont think it should be a huge deal, if this is in fact what your talking about.