What's new

Personal Sektor Guide

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
While a lot of the cast is getting attention due to big names picking them up, Sektor is getting left behind. A lot of Sektor players are having to discover new strategies themselves since the resources are extremely minimal. With that said, I'm going to lay out everything I have learned about the character and his match ups.

Pokes:

:l:fp - Safe on block as it pushes the opponent away. On hit will throw opponent across the screen, setting up for zoning. This is also a good AA option and can be used in replacement of uppercut since it does only 1% less damage.

:l:fk - In my opinion there is little reason to do :d:fk since this move leads into a combo. Sektor's low pokes do not lower his hit box enough and he is still very susceptible to jump punches and jump kicks.

:d:fp - You can use this when you read a player jumping over you. If you catch them in the air with this you can follow through with a :fp, teleport uppercut. Sektor has an okay uppercut, however unlike characters like Ermac, he can gain nothing else out of it.

Strings

:fp,:bp,:l:fp - This string is safe on block and allows you a chance to jump backwards after an opponent blocks. Some characters can read the jump back and punish (see character match ups). This string also goes into Sektor's most damaging combo and should be used to punish most of the moves in the game.

:r:bk,:bk - The ONLY time you should use this string outside a combo is when you can not punish with :fp,:bp,:l:fp. Examples would be Mileena's roll punish since she stays in the air too long. The string is safe on block, but the start up is extremely slow.

:l:fk,:bk - First hit is low, so use this string all the time until your opponent respects low. This string chains into a combo, is safe on block, and is hit conformable into teleport uppercut.

:u:fk ~ :bk - You can not do your overhead without using the leg lift. The ONLY time you should use this is after a blocked (or hit) jump in punch. When you leg lift outside of a blocked jump in punch the opponent can poke you out of your stance and not have to bother guessing overhead or low. This can be linked into a teleport uppercut, but not hit confirmed. Thus, I would recommend using :en teleport uppercut in case your opponent has blocked correctly. If you do not do teleport uppercut, this is safe on block.

Character Match Ups

Reptile:

Zone:
Reptile allows Sektor to zone, but you still must be careful about being hit by a force ball since Reptile will win the trade. Sektor's missiles knock down, so upon landing a hit, there is nothing outside :x that reptile can do to get threw the next missile. If you are full screen you can shoot a missile AND block his :x. There is little reason to use up missile since Reptile can and will dash by it. His only way in (dash) is dampened by strait missile, so use it to your advantage. You can use teleport uppercut if you read a force ball, but not on reaction.

Mix ups:
Reptile has the worst uppercut in the game! Keep this in mind since Sektor loves to jump around! Jump over Reptile as much as you want with either jump punches or kicks. When approaching Reptile do not be afraid to jump over projectiles with a jump kick into teleport uppercut. The only thing you need to be worried about is being hit by a force ball. I know of no other high/top tier character who has such horrid AA; the worst thing he can do to you on an air to air is slide for 10%.

Close range:
If Reptile gets you blocking, you're in trouble. Sektor is a slow character so you're really just looking to jump out. When Reptile knocks you on the ground he will most likely dash in and jump over you. If you predict this you can :d:fp into teleport uppercut which should release some pressure after landing this the first time. A blocked dash will result in a full combo starting with :fp,:bp,:l:fp. Do not settle for anything less! Do not worry about ending your combos with flame thrower; dash is not a wake up attack so end with something that sends Reptile as far away from you as possible.

Mileena
Zone:
The most difficult thing about this match up is how Mileena can shut your zone game down 100%. Any Mileena player can "on reaction" teleport if you do a full screen missile of any kind. Also if you are within roll range she will go under your missile, resulting in a 27% combo. Fire missiles every once in a while to keep her in check, but you're going in for this one. If you have the life lead you can wait her out by ducking. Let Mileena make the first move since all her ways in are unsafe. If you do not have the life lead... see the close range part.

Mix ups:
While this isn't really a mix up, do note that any time Mileena goes for an air projectile, you can teleport uppercut her. Also if you read a projectile you can also pull one off. While your range game has vanished, her's is still risky.

Close range:
Most of the fight will probably be done from here. When you approach Mileena make sure to dash cancel into duck so you do not block any projectiles. She will be building tons of meter already, having you block projectiles will only grantee her a breaker by the time you get in. A lot of players do not respect blocking low so once you're close I would recommend starting with b3,4. Jumping in on Mileena is also very dangerous; she can either air projectile you into combo or roll as an anti jump in, also leading into combo. What you do not have to worry about is her block stringing you; stay as close to her as you can. All your strings are safe on block, but none give you advantage. Because of this I would recommend looking into canceling 1,2,b1 at either the 1 or 1,2 to get some block damage on her as well as meter. When you have a lot of meter do not be afraid to EX teleport uppercut! She will probably block it, and then she gets a free mix up, but afterwords it's your call. Careful to wake up when she is close however! Her d4 poke will stuff it and if you used an EX to wake up, say good bye to a bar.

Mileena's mix ups are as follows. She can overhead you, over and over again on block. After an overhead you can jump kick her however and go into teleport uppercut! She can read this and go for a njp, but you can read that and go for an uppercut (this shit gets real!). She can also go low into low OR low into overhead using her EX roll. While it is extremly hard to block this, if she has no meter (she will always have meter lolololol) you don't have to worry about it.

Punishing Mileena:
Both her teleport and roll have a unique punish quality. Her teleport can only be punished by an uppercut 100% of the time. You can go for a jump kick into teleport uppercut but she can throw an air sai afterwords; if it hits you she will get a combo on you. It's a risky punish! Her roll has to be punished by f4,4 ~ teleport uppercut ~ b2,1. I wouldn't recommend ending in flame since her wake ups are not safe. You want her to do them!

In closing, this is Sektor's worst match up in my opinion (6/4 in Mileena's favor). I'll try to get some footage of myself going up against a pro Mileena player to better illustrate the match up. The way to win this is to let Mileena make a mistake and take advantage of it since Sektor packs a punch.

-------

I'll be adding more match ups very soon. I play against an amazing group of people with diverse characters so I'll cover Cage,Sub Zero,Mileena,Kung Lao,Kabal,Ermac,Noob,Reptile and Liu Kang.

If there is anything you want to add let me know! Or god forbid I'm wrong on something, please correct me! Wrong information is the worst kind of information.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Sektor's uppercut isn't okay - it's amazing and probably tied for the fastest in game, few characters get anything out of an anti-air uppercut tbh. His uppercut is good for things like KL's teleport though since its fast it can beat out most of his options after teleport. I'm not sure about the kick though I think it can be beaten if your really fast though not sure.

If i am not mistaken 1,2, b1 does not lead into his most damaging combo. I think his most damaging is b+2, TU, b+2 1, b+3 4, enTU, b2 flame 48% (50% with jump in punch)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
@ OutlawNightmare - You're right! My bad!

@ spongebob - What I consider to be a great uppercut would be those that hit behind their hit box... kind of like the Hulk in Marvel 3. Fast uppercuts are nice don't get me wrong, but being able to hit the person after they have crossed over is something else.

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
Awesome!! Thanks so much for takin the time to share your experiences with Sektor. I want to see him become a total beast!

TheTrillz - I think its so cool using f2 after dashing because the whole motion is super fast and covers a ton of ground, and it can be linked to Flame

f2~flame is also a good combo ender in lieu of b2~flame or 12~flame because the latter two are subject to the occasional input error

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Added Mileena. It's a little messy, so I'm going to see if I can record a few matches between Phase 3 and I this week to illustrate the fight. You'll also get the chance to see what I think might be the best Mileena player around.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for takin the time to share your experiences with Sektor. I want to see him become a total beast!

TheTrillz - I think its so cool using f2 after dashing because the whole motion is super fast and covers a ton of ground, and it can be linked to Flame

f2~flame is also a good combo ender in lieu of b2~flame or 12~flame because the latter two are subject to the occasional input error
Is f2 safe on block? If so we may have found a sektor elbow dash (take that reptile)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Robotic

Gentleman.
Good, in depth stuff. I disagree will Mileena being Sektor's worst matchup, though. In my estimation, I would say smoke and kung lao would be his biggest hurdles.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Good, in depth stuff. I disagree will Mileena being Sektor's worst matchup, though. In my estimation, I would say smoke and kung lao would be his biggest hurdles.
I'm not sure about Smoke to be honest, don't have enough match up history with him.

According to the internet, Kung Lao is everyone's worst match up haha. The reason why I lean to Mileena is that Kung Lao doesn't shut down Sektor's zone game. Sure he can teleport, but you can uppercut every time it doesn't have armor. Kung Lao can not on reaction teleport to your missiles like Mileena can. Also after a blocked low hat in one of Kung Lao's strings, it's a 50/50 to get out which isn't "that" bad. To be honest, I'm much more worried about Mileena and Johnny Cage than Kung Lao any day.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Can someone lead me to the sektor vs cyrax final video? I forgot where it happened but it was an intense match. I remember seeing it floating around these forums.

SwiftTomHanks, thanks. This is an interesting read.

I'll agree that Smoke can be a frustrating match. I'll be happy to offer some input if you would like, as I've faced quite a few of varying skill. Just send me a message if you want the help.

Altaire

Noob
I really need to add a few things:

- Sektor's uppercut is a godsend, regardless of hitbox. It's a seven frame uppercut, IIRC, tied with characters like Kung Lao, Sonya, Nightwolf and Cage. This makes it the fastest uppercut in the game, and that means it'll punish certain frame traps/block strings that a slower uppercut would not. Cyrax, Ermac, Rain and Noob may have great hitboxes on their uppercuts, but those uppercuts won't get them out of pressure.

- Mileena is far from Sektor's worst matchup. You make it sound like Sektor is completely lost if he has to go in, when he's perfectly capable of fighting up close. He should zone wherever possible, but he's not so reliant on it that he can't get up in her face.

- This has been said, but Sektor really isn't a slow character. He has a safe, hit confirmable combo opener off a jab, which is incredibly useful to counter pressure. His dash is both extremely quick and extremely broad, so much so that he can quickly close in on an opponent in blockstun or knockdown. His 1 1 is also a frametrap, and you can hit confirm it into 1 1 B1 when you think they're going to try to get out. This will create some distance and allow you to continue zoning when you think they're going to get wise and break out of the frametrap.

Your guide makes some good points, but you speak awfully matter-of-factly about a lot of subjects you don't understand thoroughly enough. Reptile's uppercut really isn't THAT bad; memory serving, it's still better than Sub Zero's, Kenshi's, Kitana's, Mileena's or Raiden's, and it's a HELL of a lot better than Smoke's or Shang Tsung's. On top of that, Reptile can do standing 2 into EX forceball for a godlike anti-air that grants him a full combo punish (credit goes to THTB for showing me this one), you just don't see a lot of people doing it.

I'd actually say the best piece of information in this thread is Outlaw's combo, which is actually 52% off a jump-in punch (especially important, since it's unsafe on block and should only ever be done as a guaranteed punish). Great find, even if it is a bitch to input.

EDIT: Since I missed this post the first time around...

First off, F2 flame is unsafe on block, and it really isn't hit confirmable. F2 B1 is ostensibly safe, though I'm not sure if there's any way to interrupt the string if the first hit is blocked. In either case, it's a hell of a lot smarter than using F2 flame to poke.

Also, how is B2 in any way subject to "occasional input error"? Hold the back direction as soon as the teleport begins. Press 2 at the appropriate time. Voila, you will land B2 flamethrower 100% of the time. Even if you have trouble timing it, standing 3 or standing 4 are much better substitutes for B2 than F2 is (it doesn't matter which one you use; they do the same damage and have the same relative hitbox/number of frames).

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ

Why would you use f2? The timings tricker and you even more likely to mess up his f2 that anything like b2 flame. Not to mention the lower dmg and its more annoying doing f2 bf 2 rather than b2 f.

As for f2 on its own its not even remotely close to elbow dash and isn't even realy a good move at all imo. You can't hitconfirm in f2 b1 and f2 b1 is unsafe. The range isn't even as much as it seems its about the same as b. You can cancel into flame but even though b1 is 1% less it pushes them full screen. In other words I don't see any reason to use f2 when you have b1.

Altaire

Noob
Welp, there you have it.

B1 is so good it invalidates half of Sektor's normals all on its own. It's kind of like a really safe uppercut that you can gouge with, except uppercuts can be punished and don't put you at perfect zoning distance.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
When you say his 1,1 is a frame trap; what does it give advantage to on block? Or is this just a 50/50 if you will do a b1 or not?

To each their own with what makes a better uppercut. I believe cross ups are huge in this game and having an uppercut that better disables them are slightly better than a 7 frame one since you could always d1 (also 6 or 7 frame). Out of all the characters I have seen in battle over and over again, Reptile's uppercut SUCKS; it's slow, it somehow wiffs through hitboxes, and it has a small hitbox itself. It's the Nightwolf's sweep of uppercuts... except it's still not punishable on block.

Concerning if he is a fast character or not, aside from his 1 and b1 he's pretty slow in my opinion. I haven't played a character with a slow dash I guess, at least none that feels like I'm at disadvantage. His stance into overhead is extremely slow and his b3 has got to be over 12 frames. I'm not convinced that a character with a fast uppercut and a fast dash makes him a fast character. I'm looking for faster pokes, combo starters as well as a faster recovery and start up time on special moves. I consider Sektor a slower character because of his recovery time on missiles compared to other basic projectiles as well as his extremely stuffable start up on his teleport uppercut.

Concerning Reptile (and other character for that matter): I am just going on what I have played against. I wouldn't blame myself for not knowing everything about these characters, and that is why hopefully everyone, including myself will take something away from this thread. Thanks to you, I have new Sektor info... something hard to come by.

Altaire

Noob
Well, I wasn't trying to rain on your parade. Sektor's 1 1 just has advantage on hit, so it can be repeated until your opponent either jumps back or hits you with something quicker; the B1 mixup at the end is optional.

There's nothing wrong with preferring a wider uppercut hitbox, but there's no arguing that fast uppercut = good uppercut. It may not be as useful for the same situations as, say, Noob or Ermac's uppercuts, but it's going to save your ass in a lot of situations where neither of those would. IIRC, it's fast enough to punish Kung Lao after a blocked low hat, which is a pretty big deal all on its own, and it's one of the few uppercuts fast enough to punish Cage's flipkick on block. The thing is, if a crossup is read, you can always NJP it for a safe workaround.

I've really never found Reptile's uppercut to be that bad, but even then, his 2 EX forceball is the only anti-air he'll ever need. What I disagree with most is the idea that if a zoning character can't zone, it's a bad matchup for him. Most people will think "Oh, well, that character can't do what he does best now", but look at the Ermac vs. Mileena matchup: It's unquestionably in his favor, yet she can outzone him. Ermac is primarily a zoning character, yet he has a clear-cut advantage against her in that matchup. Similarly, look at Sektor vs. Mileena. She can't punish him nearly as well as he can punish her, and he can pressure her a hell of a lot better than she can pressure him. The only thing Sektor really has to worry about is her low pokes, and he's easily quick enough to stop her overhead.

I realize his overhead is slow, but 50/50 mixups really aren't very strong in this game. If you watch the Evo footage, almost no one in the top 8 was incorporating 50/50s, since most of them are telegraphed in some way. If it isn't because of a stance change or some other setup, it's because of the difference in hit timing, which makes fuzzy guarding all too easy. Take Cyber Sub's 3 4 and 3 3 2 mixup, for instance: On paper, it's a great 50/50, but due to how quickly the low hit of the 3 3 2 comes out and how it contrasts with the delay on 3 4's overhead, you can just block low in anticipation of the low hit and return to a stand if it takes any longer. The best mixups in MK9 are from hit confirmable block strings (a la Scorpion's 1, 1 1 and 1 1 1, or Ermac's 3 1, 3 1 2), and low hit/throw setups. If you can train your opponent to block low, you're all but guaranteed a dash up throw. Overheads are nice when you can have them, but they really don't make or break or a character. For instance, you can easily make effective use of Smoke's B2 3 in conjunction with his sweep, but then, you don't need it to play a good Smoke either.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I wouldn't call 1,1 advantage on hit then if they can jump out (or over?). For instance, Cage's sweep is advantage where it grants him his f3,3,b3 starter if you attempt anything but block. Or Kenshi's b2 grants a free shoulder dash on block. Both of these situations force your opponent to block. If you do 1,1 and then go for another 1,1 and they jump out, what happens? If they get hit and thrown away I'd call it a draw, if it biffs I'd call it a loss, if it keeps them up close then it's a win imo.

I look at the uppercut debate as preference over fact. d1 will also punish Kung Lao's low hat, while it's not 12% it stops him from doing that shit. Regardless, Sektor has a great uppercut, fact (is the frame data out on it being the same as the other super fast uppercuts btw).

I'm right there with you on frametraps and blockstrings being the most important quality of a character. I was just laying out some slower moves of Sektors that are slow to the point where you can't use them unless you get a jump in punch. I think the meta game will favor frametraps/blockstrings, then zoning, then mix ups in that order. But from the looks of it so far, Sektor doesn't have a true frametrap?

I didn't think you rained on my parade. I'm here to further my knowledge as much as anyone else. Franky I'd love to meet more people who can teach me something about Sektor.

PS: curious how Ermac has advantage over Mileena? I've always looked at it as a good example of a 5/5.

Altaire

Noob
I haven't actually tested all the ways you can get out of his 1 1, so I'd have to get back to you on that. I play Sektor occasionally, but he's pretty far down on my list.

I agree that D1 will get you out of Kung Lao's block string for less damage, but that's just it: All D1 will do is stop it, but when it does such minimal damage and leaves him in a stand, he's poised to keep doing it wherever he gets a chance. An uppercut does so much damage and creates so much distance that he'll learn to respect it, because every time you stop the low hat, you're getting 12% for it. If you do that eight or nine times in a match, he's done.

As for Ermac vs. Mileena, it really just comes down to the punishes. Ermac can basically turtle it out the entire time, and Mileena has to play by his rules to get in. If she tries to poke him, he can punish with teleslam. If a roll or teleport is blocked, teleslam. If she tries an air sai, you get a guaranteed telepunch, followed by ANOTHER teleslam. She can outzone him, but Ermac can use pretty much every other tool in his arsenal to shut her down. He can also pressure her with his 3 1 2 mixup if he does get in. Really, I just think it's stacked because he can punish her a lot more frequently than she can punish him, and he gets a hell of a lot more damage for it at that. Hell, you can even X-ray a roll or teleport on reaction to take the hit in armor and get a guaranteed 36%.

To summarize, it's really just "Hey, you fucked up somewhere? Teleslam for a third of your life or more!"

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I haven't actually tested all the ways you can get out of his 1 1, so I'd have to get back to you on that. I play Sektor occasionally, but he's pretty far down on my list.

I agree that D1 will get you out of Kung Lao's block string for less damage, but that's just it: All D1 will do is stop it, but when it does such minimal damage and leaves him in a stand, he's poised to keep doing it wherever he gets a chance. An uppercut does so much damage and creates so much distance that he'll learn to respect it, because every time you stop the low hat, you're getting 12% for it. If you do that eight or nine times in a match, he's done.

As for Ermac vs. Mileena, it really just comes down to the punishes. Ermac can basically turtle it out the entire time, and Mileena has to play by his rules to get in. If she tries to poke him, he can punish with teleslam. If a roll or teleport is blocked, teleslam. If she tries an air sai, you get a guaranteed telepunch, followed by ANOTHER teleslam. She can outzone him, but Ermac can use pretty much every other tool in his arsenal to shut her down. He can also pressure her with his 3 1 2 mixup if he does get in. Really, I just think it's stacked because he can punish her a lot more frequently than she can punish him, and he gets a hell of a lot more damage for it at that. Hell, you can even X-ray a roll or teleport on reaction to take the hit in armor and get a guaranteed 36%.

To summarize, it's really just "Hey, you fucked up somewhere? Teleslam for a third of your life or more!"
Ermac's 3,1,2 has a big weakness. If you duck block the 3 then let go of block you can uppercut Ermac as he does his 1,2. I NEVER do this anymore since my sparing partners do this every time now that we all know about this.

I'm going to try this 1,1 stuff out this weekend. Since it doesn't seem to be an actual frametrap I'm thinking that 1,2 would work just as well and follow it up with a b1 or 2 at the end here and there. Regardless, I don't think this will actually help Sektor's game... but we'll see.

Joe Inky

Noob
1,1 isn't a great frame trap if the oppoenent knows how to duck, sadly.
I've tried it against a few characters and once people learn that they can just duck and uppercut to get out of it it never gets them again.

Robotic

Gentleman.
1,1 isn't a great frame trap if the oppoenent knows how to duck, sadly.
I've tried it against a few characters and once people learn that they can just duck and uppercut to get out of it it never gets them again.
Mix 11 with 12, finish with b1 if connecting, finish with 2 if opponent is ducking. Have your opponent be weary of ALL of your arsenal!!!These ALL have practical purposes in fights, practice them all, people!!