What's new

Discussion Patches overwhelmingly help NRS games not hurt them

Do you think NRS patching strategy is much better this time?

• Yes

Votes: 74 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • In between overeall

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

haketh

Noob
@UltraDavid

And maybe you're right and Capcom players aren't disingenuous and it's just a wild theory. It still doesn't mean the Capcom way of doing things is better. I've layed out, as well as others in this thread, how their lack of patching hurts their games too. I am a victim from their lack of patching because I played low tier. And I'm not alone.

I just think it's wrong for players to quit a game because their devs are being proactive with how their game is being played and how they want it to be played. Instead, the players have this arrogance of thinking they know how fighting games work better than the designers and they shouldn't try and fix things because they'll figure it out for themselves beyond what the intended design was.

You're asking for the game designers to adjust their game to the players when it should be the other way around. I understand that's how we did it in the past and that's how Capcom does things but times have changed. Players should be helping their devs create a better game and work together with them to make the competitive scene thrive. Not just leave it all up to the players and hope they'll figure it out through some whacky mechanic or glitch the devs missed.
Yeah their is zero point in this going on any longer. The mentalities here are so different were just going in circles.

I'm just fucking amazed you're actually saying NRSes way of handling patches is the best when history has shown it clearly isn't in the long run.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Yeah their is zero point in this going on any longer. The mentalities here are so different were just going in circles.

I'm just fucking amazed you're actually saying NRSes way of handling patches is the best when history has shown it clearly isn't in the long run.
Can you Provide history that shows that this is not a good practice by NRS?

Jeremiah literally did all this research to prove that the patches were extremely helpful over multiple games. I bet if he did MKX similar numbers would come up.

So why again exactly are you saying this is bad practice? Just cause some people disagree with it? I bet 90% of the people complaining about patches don't go to tournaments or don't play this game seriously. It's so messed up that they get so butthurt over it while the rest of us are grinding and making the game work.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

Jeremiah literally did all this research to prove that the patches were extremely helpful over multiple games. I bet if he did MKX similar numbers would come up.

So why again exactly are you saying this is bad practice? Just cause some people disagree with it? I bet 90% of the people complaining about patches don't go to tournaments or don't play this game seriously. It's so messed up that they get so butthurt over it while the rest of us are grinding and making the game work.

I believe that the point of this current discussion is that a lot of tournament players, such as Viscant, are dropping the game because of frequent patching.

haketh

Noob

Read post above you

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled

Would not the fact that NRS games cease to be played competitively after the NRS development cycle show that their patching/development cycle hurts in the long run? All those injustice patches that supposdely saved the game, yet no one enters it at tournaments anymore. Capcom's slow update/patch cycle actually keeps interest in the game going. Capcom tournament games, with a few exceptions seem to last 8 years or longer. NRS games peak after a year and die after about 2. I think its because the quick patching cycle in the beginning causes it to lose a lot of players early in the games life and the remaining players just jump ship to next game hoping for something new and better. Thats just my opinion though.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
Would not the fact that NRS games cease to be played competitively after the NRS development cycle show that their patching/development cycle hurts in the long run? All those injustice patches that supposdely saved the game, yet no one enters it at tournaments anymore. Capcom's slow update/patch cycle actually keeps interest in the game going. Capcom tournament games, with a few exceptions seem to last 8 years or longer. NRS games peak after a year and die after about 2. I think its because the quick patching cycle in the beginning causes it to lose a lot of players early in the games life and the remaining players just jump ship to next game hoping for something new and better. Thats just my opinion though.
No one plays injustice because it has sketchy anti-airs, pretty bad walkspeed, and it's not MK.

huber

Noob
Bunch of stupid theory crafting. If someone finds a game fun they will play it until it stops being fun. The fun stopped with some patching for some people. it is no one's job but the game's to make people want to play it.

I watched and played in the beginning. It was a blast playing with and seeing all this rigged shit like Summoner Quan and Raiden F1 going off. Believe it or not some people find that fun. When I see patches just take fun stuff like that out in favor of balance (yeah right) or some shit I lose interest. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I believe that the point of this current discussion is that a lot of tournament players, such as Viscant, are dropping the game because of frequent patching.
The only reason everyone didn't quit Injustice after Evo 2013 is because the game got patched. I'd rather cater to the long-term health of our scene than the short term for people who aren't going to seriously play our game after the first evo.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.

I'm just fucking amazed you're actually saying NRSes way of handling patches is not the good when we just gave hard evidence that it clearly is.

If your argument is a lot of tournament players, such as Viscant, are dropping the game because of frequent patching, then I'd say they weren't that serious about it anyway. Does anyone actually think Floe and FChamp or Jwong or any other high profile FGC player outside of NRS actually want to grind out matchups for years to come and learn the most intricate things about our games? Hell no. They want to invade the scene early on, win with broke tier, get esports money and bow out when people learn the matchups. Instead, NRS is fixing all the stupid stuff they want to get away with and they cry about it instead saying the patching helps the game.

Floe went on a tirade saying how incredibly broke Batgirl was AFTER all the patching was complete in Injustice and he was gonna show it by playing her and then got exposed by losing to friggin Eldriken.

Sorry our game's aren't as braindead and stupid as other FGC elite players want to believe and our devs care about it more than theirs enough to change things quickly before they get out of hand.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
All the arguing over patching being inherently good or inherently bad completely ignores reality.

Yes, patching overwhelmingly helps NRS games. This be some trufax. However it's also true that if every single recent NRS game wasn't OBVIOUSLY an irredeemable shit pile of bugs, glitches, glaringly tragic balance issues and poorly, poorly, POORLY thought out meta, they wouldn't need to implement this rapid-fire patching system just to make the game playable in the first three months.

So yeah, patches are good for NRS games and I've never seen them do it superfluously. However the fact that NRS games legit need all this patching is pathetic.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
Then why didn't people play MK9 during Injustice?
I wasn't here for that time. From my experience watch the game, it probably had to due with balance issues, the many many bugs, the fact that it might have been close to fully fleshed out, and that everyone was looking forward to the shiny new game that was coming out. (the last 2 things could be included in injustice too)

haketh

Noob
I'm just fucking amazed you're actually saying NRSes way of handling patches is not the good when we just gave hard evidence that it clearly is.

If your argument is a lot of tournament players, such as Viscant, are dropping the game because of frequent patching, then I'd say they weren't that serious about it anyway. Does anyone actually think Floe and FChamp or Jwong or any other high profile FGC player outside of NRS actually want to grind out matchups for years to come and learn the most intricate things about our games? Hell no. They want to invade the scene early on, win with broke tier, get esports money and bow out when people learn the matchups. Instead, NRS is fixing all the stupid stuff they want to get away with and they cry about it instead saying the patching helps the game.

Floe went on a tirade saying how incredibly broke Batgirl was AFTER all the patching was complete in Injustice and he was gonna show it by playing her and then got exposed by losing to friggin Eldriken.

Sorry our game's aren't as braindead and stupid as other FGC elite players want to believe and our devs care about it more than theirs enough to change things quickly before they get out of hand.
Wow you are dead wrong about so much. Good job pushing the narrative that Capcom players just wanna invade & take money then duece out. Especially with Champ who was shockingly nice at NWM & was excited for the game & stayed that way till the game got patched to much & was still telling people to play MKX.

Slips

You obviously didn't follow the Injustice scene. Injustice was on life support and would've died within 6 months if it wasn't for the balance patch. Mr. Wizard literally said the primary reason Injustice made to it's second year at Evo was because of the balance patch and the show Injustice put on at NEC. The patches were a direct result of Injustice staying alive. You don't know what you're talking about.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
I've said this once earlier in the thread but I'll say it again because it flew over so many people's heads. The amount of patches DO NOT KILL a game. Developers not patching a game anymore DOES, regardless of how many times they've patched it beforehand.

Even if the developers decided not to patch Injustice at all at launch and decided to let F23 and backdash Adam rock, they probably would've decided not to patch the game 9 months later since creating MKX at the time would've still been a priority for them anyway.

Mr. Wizard said that if IGAU was not patched after EVO, it most likely would not have been back next year. Just sayain.

Slips

Wow you are dead wrong about so much. Good job pushing the narrative that Capcom players just wanna invade & take money then duece out. Especially with Champ who was shockingly nice at NWM & was excited for the game & stayed that way till the game got patched to much & was still telling people to play MKX.
He was going to quit anyway. You and everyone else knows it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Bunch of stupid theory crafting. If someone finds a game fun they will play it until it stops being fun. The fun stopped with some patching for some people. it is no one's job but the game's to make people want to play it.
And if they don't think it's fun, due to having to deal with ridiculous/oppressive meta, they won't keep playing.

The issue is, the people you lose by not patching the game are some of your most dedicated players -- the guys who have been putting hours and hours into the game from day one. Not the guys who "tried MKX", couldn't place, don't really take the game seriously, and then complain about how they can't play NRS games because of the patches.

If you look around the fourms you can see that, among the people who truly care about this game, discussion is revitalized and there's all kinds of talk about new tech, new potential for characters, etc.

If it comes down to one or the other, I'd rather keep the guys who are genuinely willing to stand up for this community, and let the fly-by-night guys who were never going to put work in leave with the small-time excuses. The rest of everyone will enjoy having and showcasing a better game.

E

Eldriken

"Friggen Eldriken"? Should I take that the wrong way? It's like you think I wasn't capable of beating him or something...

If I'm completely wrong, my apologies. It just seems that way with the wording.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Fchamp was the one saying if capcom players played mk we wouldn't be winning. I don't believe him if he's saying he's stopping because of patches. And if he was really putting in work these patches wouldn't be such a big deal, like it is for every top player in this game.

Fchamp also plays cybernetic kano. KANO GOT BUFFED. Sorry you have to relearn the game of your character being better lol.