What's new

Overwhelmed MKX

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
I had a couple questions myself, if you don't mind me asking.

1) How is "canceling" beneficial? When would you want to use it? Better yet, why would you want to?

2) Pushing the left trigger changes your stance... I don't see what significance that holds either.
1- Mk doesn't have links in combos like street fighter. Instead the combo system focuses on canceling a normal or a string into a special move.

2- On it's own stance switch does not hold any real significance. However if I remember correctly while blocking you can hold stance switch and forward to preform a push block.

push block occurs at about 0:05

Riyo

Noob
What does support your local offline scene mean? Thanks for the tips I will do that. Thers a few guys that I really like. Ive won a couple online games but what do you mean netcode? Is that the thing im noticing that my characters input is a little slower when compared to playing offline?
@Zyphox

KC H0oKsw0rds

iK A B A L
I always think of canceling like substitution. What does this help you do? It lets you take a string (a basic ground combo) and sub in a special move to alter its effects.

Example:
We can take a string like 111 (square square square) which would be three jabs and sub in for or cancel the last jab for a special like spear (back forward square).
So instead of 111 we get 11(bf1)

I like SubZero a lot..I was doing Cyromancer but starting to get pounded in now..The ice clone style looks pretty sweet though. I often encounter ppl that stand back and just throw objects or repeatedly get in my face and mash the same button over and over.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I like to go into ranked and focus on one thing at a time to level up...ie

"Im going to focus on punishing and counter poking"

"Im going to focus on learning when to njp"

"Im going to focus on openers and combo execution"

"Im going to focus on spacing and footies"

You will get bodied a lot by just focusing on one, but you will also level up and who gives a shit about w/l record

HDTran

Just a guy.
Bojutsu Kung Jin is one of the best effective beginner characters in this game. You can essentially play a very legitimate Kung Jin using basic normals, 3-4 strings, and a few specials.

I dont really care about W/L or necessarily leveling up..I care about learning the game as I go and progressively getting a little better the longer I play. Being able to get online and have fun..dont care if I win all the time but certainly dont want to lose all the time either. I want to eventually know why im doing the things im doing. Right now I have no idea how to counter but I get countered almost all the time.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I dont really care about W/L or necessarily leveling up..I care about learning the game as I go and progressively getting a little better the longer I play. Being able to get online and have fun..dont care if I win all the time but certainly dont want to lose all the time either. I want to eventually know why im doing the things im doing. Right now I have no idea how to counter but I get countered almost all the time.

By leveling up, i did not mean your rank...
:eek::eek::rolleyes:

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
Best thing is to practice combos over over over & over again until its memorized, or just tag the while in a match. Best thing would be is to watch some high level play & study on that

Play Bojutsu Kung Jin
easy character to use
all you need to learn is just 1 combo and his 3 combos starters from low mid and overhead
I promise you that you are gonna win at least 75%+ of your matches online from then on lol :p

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Makes perfect sense..I just did my first combo where I juggled a sec but it was in training..definitely couldnt do that while under pressure...sometimes the stick is super easy to use and I notice instead of going left down Y for example I can just make a C pattern and hit Y and it still counts it..must be the input short cut thing they have.
Are you using the thumbsticks on your controller or are you using a fightstick? If its a controller then iwould suggest using the dpad instead of the thumbstick. Works alot better, well for me it is.

I switched to the Dpad..just trying to figure out how to punish..I get punished on every attack I make..They seem to block all mine.

2 quickies:
1) Move up when the basics feel comfortable. Everything is built on something else.. So if you're doing A, when you can do A consistently without thinking at all, you can move on to AB. And then ABC..
2) Watching footage of people play will help a lot with understanding. Tournaments, streams, archived matches etc. From watching you just 'get' things that'd take you a while to figure out on your own.
solid advice man thanks