What's new

Overwhelmed MKX

So..I've tried to give fighting games a go before because I think they look so awesome and fun but ive always gotten frustrated and quit. I refuse to do that this time. My question is where do I start? There is so much information out there, what character would a newer player want to try first? Ive been going into training mode and practicing some basic things but then I get into a match and I cant remember what combos I want to do..should I just pick 1 or 2 and write them down and then do only those ones in the game?

I expect to lose a lot..ive won a few games but ive mainly just tried Raiden and Sub Zero. How long until I attempt harder moves? Like when do you know its time to put more into your game and do top tier players usually use all of them or just the higher damaging ones?

Ive been searching a lot but cant quite find what I want..theres almost too much information out there lol so I appreciate if anyone takes the time to point me in the right direction. Also are there coaches out there that would take newer players on that want to get into fighting games?

redeyes

Button Masher
start by doing the tutorial and learn everything from there.

find someone you really enjoy, this is going to be the hardest part imo.

after that look in the combo thread for such character.
also read the general discussion thread as well.

here youll find the inputs for your most optimal combos.
in the general discussion people will be talking about what strings and such are useful and all that good stuff.

id start out only learning 1-2 combos max, 1 mid screen 1 corner.

practice these till you feel comfortable.

then go into ladder mode not online ( or play with a buddy offline)

and practice them more, but now youll be under pressure a little and will have to do them with a bit of risk if you screw up.

once you feel good there id dabble online ( i told you to stay away from online at first due to netcode making combos annoying to do sometimes)

from here on once you feel comfortable doing your combos & alll that good stuff is where you get to turn into a nerd and learn all the real FG stuff like footsies and frame data.

but that is something you should look into in like a week or so once your combos are good to go.

dont overload yourself with info, try your best enjoy yourself!

& support your local offline scene!

What does support your local offline scene mean? Thanks for the tips I will do that. Thers a few guys that I really like. Ive won a couple online games but what do you mean netcode? Is that the thing im noticing that my characters input is a little slower when compared to playing offline?

redeyes

Button Masher
What does support your local offline scene mean? Thanks for the tips I will do that. Thers a few guys that I really like. Ive won a couple online games but what do you mean netcode? Is that the thing im noticing that my characters input is a little slower when compared to playing offline?
well depending on where you live there might be a group of people who meet up weekly or monthly and play offline. fighting games are ment to be played offline, sure online is fun, but offline is what people take serious.

and yes that is the netcode that little timing difference you feel online.

NRS cant seem to get good netcodes for their games :(

Varion

Noob
well depending on where you live there might be a group of people who meet up weekly or monthly and play offline. fighting games are ment to be played offline, sure online is fun, but offline is what people take serious.

and yes that is the netcode that little timing difference you feel online.

NRS cant seem to get good netcodes for their games :(
How can I pick a main to take into practice when there's like 5 of them that feel good?:(

start by doing the tutorial and learn everything from there.

find someone you really enjoy, this is going to be the hardest part imo.

after that look in the combo thread for such character.
also read the general discussion thread as well.

here youll find the inputs for your most optimal combos.
in the general discussion people will be talking about what strings and such are useful and all that good stuff.

id start out only learning 1-2 combos max, 1 mid screen 1 corner.

practice these till you feel comfortable.

then go into ladder mode not online ( or play with a buddy offline)

and practice them more, but now youll be under pressure a little and will have to do them with a bit of risk if you screw up.

once you feel good there id dabble online ( i told you to stay away from online at first due to netcode making combos annoying to do sometimes)

from here on once you feel comfortable doing your combos & alll that good stuff is where you get to turn into a nerd and learn all the real FG stuff like footsies and frame data.

but that is something you should look into in like a week or so once your combos are good to go.

dont overload yourself with info, try your best enjoy yourself!

& support your local offline scene!
I completely agree about practicing your combos against the AI. Usually when I learn a new character, I play ladder mode (tower in this game) until everything starts feeling smooth and natural, and then I will then take it online and start playing against live humans.

Sometimes it takes longer than you think it should, but through practice and repetition, you will get the combos down and it will be 2nd nature. Then you can focus your attention on other important things like spacing, footsies, hit-confirming, mixups, anti-airs, air-to-airs, whiff punishing, and various other skills.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
How can I pick a main to take into practice when there's like 5 of them that feel good?:(
That's were I'm at lol looking for a 2nd...
Spend like 20-30 mins in practice with them all and then that first fight after... When you have to pick someone whoever is the first to pop into your head is who you were meant to play...

I live in upstate NY(corning to be exact) im kind of in the middle of syracuse, buffalo and rochester. I dont know of any local scenes.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I think people overthink things just a tad. just jump right in and play exactly how you would approach any new video game for the first time. and then once you are ready for more of a challenge you start learning the more expert stuff. and most importantly you must have fun while doing it. like anything playing and doing it enough you will just naturally get better and want to learn more strategies.

One thing I dont get is why ppl cant callout the letters on the xbox controller? Where do I find out what F321 N432 means lol.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
One thing I dont get is why ppl cant callout the letters on the xbox controller? Where do I find out what F321 N432 means lol.
F= forward
U= up
D= down
B= back
1= square
2= triangle
3= x
4= circle
njp or njk= neutral jump punch or neutral jump kick
x= means that you can cancel a string into a special move

Those are the commands for the PS pad. I dont own an Xbox so i dont know the commands for the xbox pad.

@Zero2Hero

I'm in the same boat. Ive always dabbled with the FGs but never got serious. This time I'm trying.

Im comparing learning bnbs, muscle memory and strings like it was learning to play guitar. Just practice small 3-5 move strings over and over till they are memorized from each player side. Then slowly combine them together ( again like learning scale positions on the guitar neck).

Im not even going online for awhile because I know I'll just fall back into the same ole button mash senario when I whiff or get dominated not understanding the match up and how to play a particular opener.

Its working for me, its taking forever but we'll get there.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So..I've tried to give fighting games a go before because I think they look so awesome and fun but ive always gotten frustrated and quit. I refuse to do that this time. My question is where do I start? There is so much information out there, what character would a newer player want to try first? Ive been going into training mode and practicing some basic things but then I get into a match and I cant remember what combos I want to do..should I just pick 1 or 2 and write them down and then do only those ones in the game?

I expect to lose a lot..ive won a few games but ive mainly just tried Raiden and Sub Zero. How long until I attempt harder moves? Like when do you know its time to put more into your game and do top tier players usually use all of them or just the higher damaging ones?

Ive been searching a lot but cant quite find what I want..theres almost too much information out there lol so I appreciate if anyone takes the time to point me in the right direction. Also are there coaches out there that would take newer players on that want to get into fighting games?
2 quickies:
1) Move up when the basics feel comfortable. Everything is built on something else.. So if you're doing A, when you can do A consistently without thinking at all, you can move on to AB. And then ABC..
2) Watching footage of people play will help a lot with understanding. Tournaments, streams, archived matches etc. From watching you just 'get' things that'd take you a while to figure out on your own.

Makes perfect sense..I just did my first combo where I juggled a sec but it was in training..definitely couldnt do that while under pressure...sometimes the stick is super easy to use and I notice instead of going left down Y for example I can just make a C pattern and hit Y and it still counts it..must be the input short cut thing they have.

Varion

Noob
2 quickies:
1) Move up when the basics feel comfortable. Everything is built on something else.. So if you're doing A, when you can do A consistently without thinking at all, you can move on to AB. And then ABC..
2) Watching footage of people play will help a lot with understanding. Tournaments, streams, archived matches etc. From watching you just 'get' things that'd take you a while to figure out on your own.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/help-me-pick-a-main.50311/#post-1665195

Help me here

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Yea I'm at the point where I can do bnb combos in practice but I can't space or footsie opponents. I end up throwing out random normals way outside their range or sweeping from 2x sweep range out of fear or habit. It's all about fundamentals.

F= forward
U= up
D= down
B= back
1= square
2= triangle
3= x
4= circle
njp or njk= neutral jump punch or neutral jump kick
x= means that you can cancel a string into a special move

Those are the commands for the PS pad. I dont own an Xbox so i dont know the commands for the xbox pad.
I've been looking for this explanation for a few days. I lurked all over and found the number pad input info, but couldn't extrapolate it to what I was reading here. Thanks.

I had a couple questions myself, if you don't mind me asking.

1) How is "canceling" beneficial? When would you want to use it? Better yet, why would you want to?

2) Pushing the left trigger changes your stance... I don't see what significance that holds either.

I'm stoked to get deeper in to this thing. Really hoping to get serious about playing.

Yea I'm at the point where I can do bnb combos in practice but I can't space or footsie opponents. I end up throwing out random normals way outside their range or sweeping from 2x sweep range out of fear or habit. It's all about fundamentals.

Bnb? Maybe I spoke to soon...

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Bnb? Maybe I spoke to soon...
Bread and butter, meaning combos that everyone should know for their character.

Also cancelling is how you get specials linked into combos. It means you do the special before the normals animation is done to get it out.

Bread and butter, meaning combos that everyone should know for their character.

Also cancelling is how you get specials linked into combos. It means you do the special before the normals animation is done to get it out.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I'd accidentally do a cancel and just kind of stand there waiting for something to happen haha. I knew that there had to be a logical purpose for it in there somewhere.