What's new

Overwatch Discussion Thread

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Just like any game, people will try to enforce a meta before they are confident in winning.

I refuse to play competitive after my placements. We played as a 3 and 1 of us ended up at 54, me 57 and another 60.

How does that work? All went 8 wins 2 losses playing against the same teams, surely we should be equal?

Nah not in this game, the champion you play receives different MMR so our friend who solely played dps and torj (assists much) got the most MMR (60) me and my other friend who played a mix of dps tank and healer got owned with 57 and 54 respectively.

I play D'va mostly so I wonder what criteria grants most MMR. Not knowing details like this put me off ranked. Also apparently mercy grants awful points her scaling is busted, so thats annoying.
They base it not only on the results of your matches but on your individual performance as well. What they do is they compare your stats with a character to the average stats of the playerbase on that character on that map. So if you were playing healer on say Hanamura, it would compare the amount of healing you did to the amount of healing that was average on Hanamura and place you accordingly.

That system sounds good in theory until you realize that healers only have high healing if their team isn't doing well. If their team stomps then no one needs healing and your rating will suffer. Same with tanking, if your team stomps they aren't being damaged and you won't have much damage blocked.

I love how some ppl just leave during one match and then the last KO match starts with two less players in my team, wow GG

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
They base it not only on the results of your matches but on your individual performance as well. What they do is they compare your stats with a character to the average stats of the playerbase on that character on that map. So if you were playing healer on say Hanamura, it would compare the amount of healing you did to the amount of healing that was average on Hanamura and place you accordingly.

That system sounds good in theory until you realize that healers only have high healing if their team isn't doing well. If their team stomps then no one needs healing and your rating will suffer. Same with tanking, if your team stomps they aren't being damaged and you won't have much damage blocked.
It makes no sense to have this though, I might do 4k damage or 26k depending on how long the game goes. Also shooting into a reinhardts shield massively inflates dps numbers same with mei walls, which has no correlation with skill.

Noob
It makes no sense to have this though, I might do 4k damage or 26k depending on how long the game goes. Also shooting into a reinhardts shield massively inflates dps numbers same with mei walls, which has no correlation with skill.
the system is very far from perfect, i did my placement matchs with friends that are not exactly fantastic at the game, but they wanted to do it with me and i was happy to go along and help them out a bit, so needless to say we lost a great deal of them, all in good fun ofc... even tho i performed well i still lost said matchs which the system then presided to rank me at 45...

Well i dont play at a 45 rank lvl, so then with my actual team we destroyed every match until i was at around 56 57 cant remember... even considerably man handling rank 62s and above... So your rank doesnt really show your skill lvl.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Yesterday evening I was able to group up with a full team. It was amazing. I ranked up several times. Being in a group can make all the difference in the world when you communicate and work together.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Been playing really well in Competitive, and still losing most of the games. Guess it's just been a run of bad luck, but I've been placed low and finish almost every lost game with Gold elims, gold objective kills, and a couple silvers.

As of now I'm averaging 3 medals a game and about 2:1 K/D, 9000-10,000 damage a game (while losing), only person using the mic, trying to get the team to coordinate, grouping up instead of running in, switching heroes to play what the team needs, and holding objectives.

Will be happy to make it out of this ELO hell up to where people actually try to play the game correctly :O

HanSolo

Noob
Ranked is just awful. The amount of toxic bads, afkers, etc. Is just silly. Not to mention no communication. it's 2016 and we still don't know how to play objectives in competitive games. League of legends all over again for me.

Creepy00

Noob
I must be getting really lucky as I have yet to experience any of that. But, you are right almost no one use their mics to communicate when solo queing at least on Ps4.

Recently I started grinding games with reaper and wow this hero is amazingly strong. I am going on 8+ kill streaks all the time by teleporting myself behind enemy's lines and playing hit & run, Im not a fan of his super though, but reaper is hella fun and seems like top tier lol

Noob
Recently I started grinding games with reaper and wow this hero is amazingly strong. I am going on 8+ kill streaks all the time by teleporting myself behind enemy's lines and playing hit & run, Im not a fan of his super though, but reaper is hella fun and seems like top tier lol
With the recent nerfs to Mccree and Widow, Roadhog and Reaper are the new rising top tiers...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Mannnn, don't like his super? He def. has one of the most effective supers in the game, haha.