What's new

Overwatch Discussion Thread

Creepy00

Noob
You managed to pull 2 legendaries just like that? Man, it took me 18 loot boxes to pull one single legendary. I pulled Imp Mercy, but I don't play her at all sadly -_-

Anyways, I figure I will leave my PSN here for anyone wanting to squad up.
PSN: OcreepyO
Mains: Soldier 76, Mcree, Lucio.
Secondaries: Winston, Bastion, Torb, Windowmaker, Symmetra.

Why do ppl say Overwatch is not free to play? Sry, but I don't get it. I mean for some MMORPGS like WoW you have to pay a monthly fee, but there is no actual monthly fee or extra $ you must for Overwatch after you bought this game right? I bought this game for 75$ and can play it online, so I don't rly get why this game is not free to play. I mean it has pay to play DLC content, but this is sth every nowadays games has.
Also these lootboxes, all they give to you are new skins, colours etc? Or can you get new weapons, characters, stages and stuff?

Can someone explain?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Why do ppl say Overwatch is not free to play? Sry, but I don't get it. I mean for some MMORPGS like WoW you have to pay a monthly fee, but there is no actual monthly fee or extra $ you must for Overwatch after you bought this game right? I bought this game for 75$ and can play it online, so I don't rly get why this game is not free to play. I mean it has pay to play DLC content, but this is sth every nowadays games has.
Also these lootboxes, all they give to you are new skins, colours etc? Or can you get new weapons, characters, stages and stuff?

Can someone explain?
It's not free to play. You pay for the game itself but all the eventual map/character DLCs will be added to the game for free. You can buy loot boxes with money but all you get from them is cosmetics like skins and victory poses. And you get one loot box each time you level up so with patience you can get plenty of loot boxes by just playing the game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hey Everyone :)

So I'm starting to see that you shouldn't play these heroes like MOBA heroes at all -- rather than buckling down with one role and sticking with it, you need to play exactly what you team needs at *that moment*, and you need to make those adjustments extremely quickly.

A good team will have a composition that adapts fluidly to the situation at hand. Heroes like Bastion and Reinhardt can singlehandedly change the momentum of a match, and if you do not adapt because you like running around with your favorite hero and only have one playstyle, you will lose.

I need to do a lot of HW on situational advantages and which heroes to use to break a team out of a jam. Anti-turret is huge, anyone that can deal ranged damage while being hard to hit is huge, etc.

Certain defensive pairings are really strong, and you need to make smart choices in the moment to counter them.

Anyway, I'm interested in discussing the game with anyone else who's looking deeply into the meta.

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"

So I'm starting to see that you can't play these heroes like MOBA heroes at all -- rather than buckling down with one role and sticking with it, you need to play exactly what you team needs at *that moment*, and you need to make those adjustments extremely quickly.

A good team will have a composition that adapts fluidly to the situation at hand. Heroes like Bastion and Reinhardt can singlehandedly change the momentum of a match, and if you do not adapt because you like running around with your favorite hero and only have one playstyle, you will lose.

I need to do a lot of HW on situational advantages and which heroes to use to break a team out of a jam. Anti-turret is huge, anyone that can deal ranged damage while being hard to hit is huge, etc.

Certain defensive pairings are really strong, and you need to make smart choices in the moment to counter them.

Anyway, I'm interested in discussing the game with anyone else who's looking deeply into the meta.

I feel it all comes down to an individual players skill set and how he himself adapts to the situation at hand. No need to change an entire team comp if no one has died.

I do agree in some points tho, I hate joining a team that's 3 genjis 2 hanzos and me -_-

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

So I'm starting to see that you can't play these heroes like MOBA heroes at all --
If you want that I highly recommend Battleborn. I've been playing both of these games a hell of a lot and the differences are staggering to me now(like building up and defending a base and collecting resources mid battle to strengthen it and yourself, and leveling up mid game RPG style, and having loot that you can unlock mid game for considerable stat boosts and game changing effects).

I'll be honest I never really was interested in MOBAs but BB has captured my heart.

Overwatch is good for a lighter more condensed team based FPS though.

---

Pharah is best, direct missile hits are life, concussive blasting people off the map is love.

Her Security Chief suit is so badass:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I feel it all comes down to an individual players skill set and how he himself adapts to the situation at hand. No need to change an entire team comp if no one has died.

I do agree in some points tho, I hate joining a team that's 3 genjis 2 hanzos and me -_-
Yeah, I mean if you guys are rolling, no big deal. But it probably means the other team also isn't so good.

There are certain hero groupings, that on certain maps, *will* cause a lot of problems in the hands of good players though. So if they've adjusted to you, and you aren't adjusting to them (and to what's going on with the map objectives), you're going to end up losing the match.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Yeah, I mean if you guys are rolling, no big deal. But it probably means the other team also isn't so good.

There are certain hero groupings, that on certain maps, *will* cause a lot of problems in the hands of good players though. So if they've adjusted to you, and you aren't adjusting to them (and to what's going on with the map objectives), you're going to end up losing the match.

No doubt. Need to find a consistent team to run w.

Correct me if Im wrong, but when you are on defensive play I think Torbjorn is kinda broken when you place the turrets on the right spots - Im going on 11+ kill streaks all the time without much effort - just hide repair the turret, lvl up - boom boom boom. I got a feeling he will get nerfed. Feels like playing USF4 Guile patch 1 all over again lol.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Easy to say when playing scrubs. No game should be taken that serious until the competitive mode.

Correct me if Im wrong, but when you are on defensive play I think Torbjorn is kinda broken when you place the turrets on the right spots - Im going on 11+ kill streaks all the time without much effort - just hide repair the turret, lvl up - boom boom boom. I got a feeling he will get nerfed. Feels like playing USF4 Guile patch 1 all over again lol.
The Console meta is very different than the PC meta. Characters like Torb is very popular since you got an auto-aim turret. It will take some time for the Console meta to catch up with the PC meta. On console, I see a lot of Torb and Bastions with a Reinhardt on defense. I almost never see Winston, Genji, McCree, or Mercy on offense. On PC, it is different. I don't see that many Torb since if you put up a turret, a Winston, Genji, or Pharah will pop-up and nuke it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Overwatch is going to suffer from the same issue as some fighting games -- which is having aspects of the meta that are designed to be countered by intelligent play, in a game that will be played by 95% casuals.

Your effectiveness at dealing with certain tactics (and even at playing certain roles) depends very heavily on your team, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this as the game evolves.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
na, torb is actually one of the worst characters in the game, people are just really bad at this game. Hanzo, Widowmaker, Pharah, Winston, and a few others can counter the turret pretty easily. Torb is a pub stomper

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I can't get Overwatch OR Battleborn to work on my X1. It makes it to the Blizzard or Battleborn screen, then quits the game - booting me back to the XB Main Menu.

I've uninstalled, re-installed both, reset my XB, and even turned off the encryption on my modem. Same result. If anyone knows anything, any help would be appreciated.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
If you want that I highly recommend Battleborn. I've been playing both of these games a hell of a lot and the differences are staggering to me now(like building up and defending a base and collecting resources mid battle to strengthen it and yourself, and leveling up mid game RPG style, and having loot that you can unlock mid game for considerable stat boosts and game changing effects).

I'll be honest I never really was interested in MOBAs but BB has captured my heart.

Overwatch is good for a lighter more condensed team based FPS though.

---

Pharah is best, direct missile hits are life, concussive blasting people off the map is love.

Her Security Chief suit is so badass:

Kind of looks like a Pterodactyl.

Dunno what pugs you're playing with, probably low mmr.
Probably. I play mostly with randoms at around lvl 20 and that's what I see on console.
On PC, it's a less casual friendly game at around the same level.

I am curious to see what type of balance patch we will see on console and on pc.