What's new

Combo List - Kotal Kahn [Outdated] The Kotal Kahnbo Thread

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
A quick edit. I have mostly answered my own question(s) after digging through some match footage of Alucard on SG at half speed on YouTube and various threads here. If anyone sees this and wants to answer me any way, the more information I can gather, the better. Ironically, the one combo I figured out in the first 15 minutes with him in the lab, is apparent the go-to off of F2. Go figure, I accidentally stumbled on to something (that others had found a million years prior) useful.

Ok, so, SG Kotal is probably the purely funnest character I have found in this game. It also helps that he seems like a pretty damn solid character all around . I'm trying to compile some notes on him so I can take a few things to the lab and get to know him a little better and see if he clicks enough to end up being one of my mains.

I had a question for you all though, I perused the combos listed in the OP, but I'd like to hear from you all, who play him every day, what are your go-to combo(s) are? Which one(s) do you find yourself landing constantly in fights, and which ones do you all get the most mileage out of? I'm compiling a list of tick throw options for Kotal and I'd like to have a few combos to add to the list of 'crap John needs to practice'.

Much appreciated, =]

Last edited:

mattnin

Noob
Well, since you're new, practice everything in the b1 metagame thread by Qwark.

I play Blood God, but I'll list my bnb's which all apply to Sun.

With lag and off a jip, I use f2, f2, b14, ex df1, b14, d2. If you're timing is good and little lag, you should be able to get three f2's.

With lag and during b1 metagame, I like to use 114, ex df1, f2, b14, df1

B122, ex df3, d1, 114, ex df1, b14, df1 is a very high damage 2 bar bnb in the corner.

On a crossover jip I like to use b14, ex df3 or b122, ex df3

I find that I often use f1b2, f1b2, ex df1, d2 a lot.

All my combos are not optimal, but easy to do and good damage with lag online.

EntropicByDesign

Thank you for the info, very appreciated and thoroughly helpful. I've been tinkering with very similar combos excepting that I favor b12 to b14 because it seems like it 'auto lands' no matter how slowly , or quickly, I mash it out after the ExDF1. The b14 string seems a little fiddly. I sacrifice 1-2% damage though, so ideally I do need to learn the b14 timing.

A question, in your corner combos, are there any tricks to landing the d1 x 114? I haven't really ground it out yet granted, but from a little preliminary tinkering it feels a little weird and inconsistent.

mattnin

Noob
b12 linker is easy, the 21 linker even easier, but for max damage, b14 is better. It's a little more difficult, but not much. I suggest to put a solid effort into using b14.

Concerning the d1, 114, my only suggestion is to lab it out for several hours over several days and always attempt it. That's what I did. Sometimes, this combo is actually a little easier to do with a little lag. When you can get it five times in a row in the lab, you'll be doing good. It's a difficult combo, but it's a bnb because it's really your only option off an ex df3 in the corner. I land this combo about one out of three tries online. I hope you can do much better though!

EntropicByDesign

b12 linker is easy, the 21 linker even easier, but for max damage, b14 is better. It's a little more difficult, but not much. I suggest to put a solid effort into using b14.

Concerning the d1, 114, my only suggestion is to lab it out for several hours over several days and always attempt it. That's what I did. Sometimes, this combo is actually a little easier to do with a little lag. When you can get it five times in a row in the lab, you'll be doing good. It's a difficult combo, but it's a bnb because it's really your only option off an ex df3 in the corner. I land this combo about one out of three tries online. I hope you can do much better though!

Thanks again for the info! Look forward to putting in some time with Kotal later. Just goofing off (I can't play random online matches) I ran a tower with him. The damage is just.. Just.. Ddiirrttyyy

mattnin

Noob
Ok, I think I figured out a way to lab and get the b122, ex df3, d1, 114. I just did it like ten times in a row in the lab. Do me a favor and head over to the Kotal Kahn video thread and look at the latest post by Mr Aquaman, I believe it was posted yesterday. Watch his Blood God video. You're looking for a crazy 1 bar >50% dmg corner combo he is doing very consistently in the corner. The notation is b14, ex df3, d1, d1, d1, d1, d1, d4, df1. He may even have an extra d1 in there, who the hell knows. It's fast. So as I was attempting that combo in the lab, I remembered this thread and found I was able to do b14, ex df3, d1, d1, d1, 114 very consistently than I ever have before. The trick is to speed mash the d1 after the ex df3. Press it fast, hold down and press 1 so fast like your playing test your might. After doing that for awhile, start including the 114 string. I bet you'll get a feel for it.

So, in a nutshell, I suggest to practice the b122, ex df3, d1, d1, d1, d1, d1 combo before learning the b122, ex df3, d1, 114 combo. Good luck.

mkl

Poopbutt.
For Blood God...

Has anyone been using f2 ~early~f1b2df1? If done correctly the b2 will hit behind them, you'll get a totem, they're close enough to do a b14/f1b2/d4/etc, and you can continue the combo. This is nice with a bar meter because you can confirm into a totem and get 45-46%. I found it awhile back and forgot to ask if anyone else had done more lab work with it since I'm sure there is even more you can do with it since it leaves them so close.

This is a video I made shortly after the Blood God patch so they're old combos, but the second one showcases this. It's very replicatable and not even difficult to achieve this. So my BnB with it at the moment is f2 early f1b2 b14~EX df1 b14~df1 for 45%. There are more difficult variations with another f1b2 but they're too inconsistent/difficult. My current BG f1b2~db1 combo is f1b2~db1 b14~EX df1 f2 b14~df1 for 46%. The corner combo I made there is hilariously unoptimized so you can safely ignore it.

A quick edit. I have mostly answered my own question(s) after digging through some match footage of Alucard on SG at half speed on YouTube and various threads here. If anyone sees this and wants to answer me any way, the more information I can gather, the better. Ironically, the one combo I figured out in the first 15 minutes with him in the lab, is apparent the go-to off of F2. Go figure, I accidentally stumbled on to something (that others had found a million years prior) useful.

Ok, so, SG Kotal is probably the purely funnest character I have found in this game. It also helps that he seems like a pretty damn solid character all around . I'm trying to compile some notes on him so I can take a few things to the lab and get to know him a little better and see if he clicks enough to end up being one of my mains.

I had a question for you all though, I perused the combos listed in the OP, but I'd like to hear from you all, who play him every day, what are your go-to combo(s) are? Which one(s) do you find yourself landing constantly in fights, and which ones do you all get the most mileage out of? I'm compiling a list of tick throw options for Kotal and I'd like to have a few combos to add to the list of 'crap John needs to practice'.

Much appreciated, =]
Sun God BnBs:

Meterless
4~db2
114~db2
b122~db2
f1b2 f2 f2 b14~db2
f2 f2 1 f2 b14~db2
njp ji1 f2 f2 b14~db2

One Bar
114~EX df1 f2 b122(at tip of their fall)~db2 *seemingly males only, do b14 for easier combo*
b12~EX df1 f2 b14~db2
f1b2 f2 f2 b14~EX df1 b14~db2
f2 f2 f2 b14~EX df1 b14~db2
etc.

So essentially you'll just be replacing your df1 enders with db2. In the corner he's exactly like every other variation of Kotal outside of the df1s being db2. The only time you don't want to use db2 is if it is going to throw them out of the corner.

Last edited:

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
is there a list of the new sun/blood god combos after the last patch?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
For Blood God...

Has anyone been using f2 ~early~f1b2df1? If done correctly the b2 will hit behind them, you'll get a totem, they're close enough to do a b14/f1b2/d4/etc, and you can continue the combo. This is nice with a bar meter because you can confirm into a totem and get 45-46%. I found it awhile back and forgot to ask if anyone else had done more lab work with it since I'm sure there is even more you can do with it since it leaves them so close.

This is a video I made shortly after the Blood God patch so they're old combos, but the second one showcases this. It's very replicatable and not even difficult to achieve this. So my BnB with it at the moment is f2 early f1b2 b14~EX df1 b14~df1 for 45%. There are more difficult variations with another f1b2 but they're too inconsistent/difficult. My current BG f1b2~db1 combo is f1b2~db1 b14~EX df1 f2 b14~df1 for 46%. The corner combo I made there is hilariously unoptimized so you can safely ignore it.

Sun God BnBs:

Meterless
4~db2
114~db2
b122~db2
f1b2 f2 f2 b14~db2
f2 f2 1 f2 b14~db2
njp ji1 f2 f2 b14~db2

One Bar
114~EX df1 f2 b122(at tip of their fall)~db2 *seemingly males only, do b14 for easier combo*
b12~EX df1 f2 b14~db2
f1b2 f2 f2 b14~EX df1 b14~db2
f2 f2 f2 b14~EX df1 b14~db2
etc.

So essentially you'll just be replacing your df1 enders with db2. In the corner he's exactly like every other variation of Kotal outside of the df1s being db2. The only time you don't want to use db2 is if it is going to throw them out of the corner.
Love it, really like that corner combo.
Ive been messing around with doing f2 njp d2 b14-ex airgrab d2 d1-airgrab so it keeps them in the corner too

Reactions: mkl

mkl

Poopbutt.
Love it, really like that corner combo.
Ive been messing around with doing f2 njp d2 b14-ex airgrab d2 d1-airgrab so it keeps them in the corner too
Double uppercut combos are the dopest. Just for the pure spectacle of it I may use something like that as my BnB, especially in Sun God.

omooba

fear the moobs
Well, since you're new, practice everything in the b1 metagame thread by Qwark.

I play Blood God, but I'll list my bnb's which all apply to Sun.

With lag and off a jip, I use f2, f2, b14, ex df1, b14, d2. If you're timing is good and little lag, you should be able to get three f2's.

With lag and during b1 metagame, I like to use 114, ex df1, f2, b14, df1

B122, ex df3, d1, 114, ex df1, b14, df1 is a very high damage 2 bar bnb in the corner.

On a crossover jip I like to use b14, ex df3 or b122, ex df3

I find that I often use f1b2, f1b2, ex df1, d2 a lot.

All my combos are not optimal, but easy to do and good damage with lag online.
can u give me the optimal bloodgod bnb's and maybe also war good. i'm not sure if the thread is up to date or not but you seem to know better about it.

mattnin

Noob
can u give me the optimal bloodgod bnb's and maybe also war good. i'm not sure if the thread is up to date or not but you seem to know better about it.
Thanks. The combos in the first post are optimal and it is up to date. I just find some of them difficult to execute especially online where I mostly play. The combos I gave are easy to do with typical online lag and give good enough damage.

EntropicByDesign

Id like to second @mattnin 's suggest to take the extra time to learn the B14 timing. Originally I skipped it in favor of B12 but I've since gone back to relearn my combos with the b14 string. The extra damage is worth the extra practice and I feel like they are totally viable online provided a solid connection. If you're iffy about yout connection I'd stick.to B12 I'm those matches though.

Hell I was able to land (I play SG) f2(x3) x b14 x exairthrow x b14 x chokeahoe vs. A sub and LK player yesterday with regularity. I dropped it a.couple.times because I suck, not.because the the combo itself was.too.tight.. Though.triple f2 is , at least for me, very connection dependant and I don't bother with it all.the time.

omooba

fear the moobs
Thanks. The combos in the first post are optimal and it is up to date. I just find some of them difficult to execute especially online where I mostly play. The combos I gave are easy to do with typical online lag and give good enough damage.
could u link me to a few good recent blood god matches. trying to understand the gameplan
thanks

mattnin

Noob
Look at the last few posts by Mr Aquaman in the video thread. They are excellent Blood God videos. He is probably the best Blood God we have right now.

STK

so when you are playing BG or SG what do you do midscreen when you hit either f34 or b14? and why do people do random stings in to air throw??

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
so when you are playing BG or SG what do you do midscreen when you hit either f34 or b14? and why do people do random stings in to air throw??
F34 is shit midscreen, B14 goes into pizza.

Strings into air throw is done to recover slightly faster and not get punished, maybe also surprise the opponent with D3, ex sun choke or another string.

Reactions: STK

STK

why the people dont help for this combo thread to be updated

with new combos and stufff;;;
Search MKX Kotal combos into youtube and look at recent entries. All the new BG combos and sun god combos are posted. Thats what i had to do because the OP is from week one, no updates....

F34 is shit midscreen, B14 goes into pizza.

Strings into air throw is done to recover slightly faster and not get punished, maybe also surprise the opponent with D3, ex sun choke or another string.
Thanks alot!