What's new

Option Select Tech (Poking, Normals, Specials Input While Holding Block) - Seems Legit...

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Found this tech today while testing some stuff out against D'Vorah in training mode. While holding block in a block string, you are able to mash out your poke while blocking and once the string is over your poke will come out on pretty much the first available frame (while you are still holding block). Check the video for a more in depth look. I really doubt that this was done intentionally because it seems reallllly good to little old me.

EDIT: I was testing some more and this also works with any normal or special. For example, I was able to input Cassie's backflip while still holding block to interrupt D'Vorah's f11~bug spray. This is more of a true option select because if you mistime interrupting the string gap, you will still be holding block and safe.

Keep in mind this will only work on string gaps or during special cancel windows that can be interrrupted by a non-EX move, since obviously you would have to let go of block and hit it again with the command to do the EX version...

Thanks to Mike Metroid for helping to test this out

THANKS OBAMA

@colt
@tylerlansdown

Last edited:

ruskor

Noob
I thought this was known already. This is how i beat those laggy online scropions you can hold block and spam uppercut it gets every teleport spammer.
Never tested something else though.

Audit

Falls down too much
I was wondering how in super laggy online matches I was getting in like 5 frame normal punishes. This is it!

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
It seems like its the equivalent of mashing out dp during block strings in street fighter except the whole cast can do it now.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Ok so apparently you can input pokes while holding block after block pressure. It's not a buffer. But you can just frame the poke to come out on the first available frame. That's why Ribz was interrupting dvorah sometimes and other times not. He was randomly getting the just frame from mashing.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I will put up another video showing that it is an option select you can use to punish strings with gaps and stay safe.
Quick question, even if I'm still holding block while hitting d1, it comes out right? What about if your poke is more frames than the time needed to interrupt? Does it still come out during the gap and get you hit?
The reason I ask is because that's how it worked in injustice. You had to be careful which pressure strings you used this on because sometimes even though your d1 would come out, you'd still get beat out by the next hit