What's new

Offline timing vs Online timing (So Different!)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I know I've said something about this before, but this is just to reiterate after playing again at the BnB tourney tonight.

For any of you guys out there looking to go to offline get togethers and tourneys who've never experienced it before... GET PRACTICE IN BEFORE HAND. I can't stress how important this is! You may not think that it's much different, but omg, there's a big difference (and I have pretty fast internet)

<---- during a match with Smarrgasm ... lol

Just practice your combos and get them down offline beforehand. Basically it's a whole new muscle memory. You HAVE to WAIT to put in your inputs otherwise you WILL drop combos left and right, like I did. You're actually used to lag from online and/or tv's without even knowing it. I was dropping B(1)(here)212 slide with sub-zero... like... his easiest air freeze combo b/c I was inputting things too fast.

I would also say it's probably a good idea to get the type of controller you will be playing on and use that online as well. (PS2/3) b/c coming from a different controller doesn't help either.

Good luck to any other online warriors looking to venture into the offline world.

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
(and I have pretty fast internet)

I lol'd.

J/K :DD nice post and this is true i've spent atleast 20 hours in the practice mode with each char, usually when i play something on the PC
i have practice mode open fer dayz :D thats mostly because why i know so many characters xD

also, shoutouts to online

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I lol'd.

J/K :DD nice post and this is true i've spent atleast 20 hours in the practice mode with each char, usually when i play something on the PC
i have practice mode open fer dayz :D thats mostly because why i know so many characters xD

also, shoutouts to online
LOL, I don't wanna hear it mr. "I might as well not have internet... or... I forgot to feed my hamster that runs my generator" :p

Seriously though, the timing fucks you up. =/

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
LOL, I don't wanna hear it mr. "I might as well not have internet... or... I forgot to feed my hamster that runs my generator" :p

Seriously though, the timing fucks you up. =/
well it depends how much lag, i can do combos well with 50-100 pingISH 150-200 makes it really hard tho :S

Practicing against the AI should be the same timing as offline (because it is offline).

If you are relying on visual onscreen cues to help your combo timing this will make the transition very painful. When I practice my combos I make sure to only concentrate on rhythm of the button input and not on what I'm seeing on screen. That helps me seamlessly transition from online to against the AI.

Not sure if that helps or not but the AI is my only offline experience so that's all I have to go by.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Yeah, the online input delay is really annoying...esp when you go into training mode with Jax and can do everything then drop his corner combo 50 times in a row online...

Additionally, you are 100% correct about how big a difference switching TV's can make. I played the game for almost a year on my 55 inch tv that lagged more than the monitors at MLG and I had a really difficult time adjusting that weekend in Columbus. I literally bought an Asus seconds after I got back to my house... I have been playing MK on it since then so playing @ offline events won't be as much of an adjustment.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I agree that the monitor makes the most difference for me. you can adjust from online to offline pretty fast, but a shitty monitor will fuck you up for a long time.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Practice how u plan to play

IMO every tourney Mk player who doesn't use stick should have the following

XboX etokki ps2 converter
Inpin ps2 converter
Ps2 wired controller

Asus monitor only

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?

Inpin ps2 converter
Ps2 wired controller

Asus monitor only
Does anyone know if Acer = Asus in terms of delay on monitors? Or is there a noticeable difference?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

RiverHB

Noob
Combos I land consistently offline are routinely dropped online. And my connection is great. Oh well, it's casual anyway.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Does anyone know if Acer = Asus in terms of delay on monitors? Or is there a noticeable difference?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
it needs to have a 2MS response time. Thats where the "lag" comes into play for the monitor.

and ps2 pads aren't the only pads you can use. They just "convert" better with the PS3.
I have a converter for my 360 and it felt just fine on a ps3. To each his own on that one.

Reed is right. Your natural input for online will throw you off for a few matches. But like Jimmy said... its the monitor that will be killing you softly for an hour.

D

Deleted member 9158

Hell I drop the rune trap online sometimes.

Shit sucks man

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook

Inpin ps2 converter
Ps2 wired controller

Asus monitor only
Dude, the "Asus" monitors they had in Tory back in may was so laggy it was worse than online.I have a regular flat-screen TV and I get no lag whatsoever.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Dude, the "Asus" monitors they had in Tory back in may was so laggy it was worse than online.I have a regular flat-screen TV and I get no lag whatsoever.
see i thought that aswell about some new monitors the irish crew got it,
its thats there so lag free you think there laggy because your muscle memory was build on a laggy tv,
sounds a bit stupid i know but its true imo.

personally CRTs my fav tv to play on, always will be

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
see i thought that aswell about some new monitors the irish crew got it,
its thats there so lag free you think there laggy because your muscle memory was build on a laggy tv,
sounds a bit stupid i know but its true imo.

personally CRTs my fav tv to play on, always will be
It's not that.As a gamer, I normally don't play games that I feel that I have no control over my character whatsoever.With MK9 online as an exception.

Also, When we were in K-frogs place, when I would play casuals on Jer's monitor or the other monitor we had, I was doing stuff perfectly.