What's new

NRS Introduces Enhanced Online BETA For MKX; Sign-Ups Are Now Live

Actually, let the tournament scene be your way to judge if the community is alive or not.

MK9 outsold Vanilla SF4, sure, but how many MK9 went back in the bargain bin only a few months after that because MK9's netcode was ass ?

Meanwhile, the SF scene is still alive (just look at EVO ! or Capcom Pro Tour) after like ... 7 years of playing SF4 and its updates (it's still really easy to find matches on USF4).

Not sure MK9 lasted 2 years ...

Selling a lot is great and all, but if you have tons of money from your fans and still can't even pull your head out of your ass, launching games with input delay netcode in 2015 ... what's the point, really ? All that money went into marketing DLCs and daily towers (lol) ?

It just means a LOT of people bought an outdated product just because the MK brand is strong ... not really something to brag about I guess ...
Im clearly not talking about the tournament scene as I've stated. If you think online is the reason mk 9 lasted 3 years in the tournament scene i dont know what to tell you man

I'm happy they listened and are actually doing something about it, yet ideally, they should have implemented this from day release and not 9 months later.

However, it will be interesting to see how the beta performs and what the final build of the code will be and then people can, or should be able to play the game at a comfortable level. Thanks NRS for listening to the feedback.

Last edited:
I hear ya dude. Playing KL's and Mileenas online was rather annoying at times. Should be interesting to see how they play now once this is done hehe.:D
Yeah, plus see how Ermac is now and be unsafe instead of safe. The amount of times I got blown up for punishing a blocked ex teleport was not even funny:)

They have been listening closely to us on Facebook and Twitter.

I told you your threads are needless ;)
Sigh...Were just a small part of the community. We know they have listened to tym. Other people wont know what tyler is talking about if he says: we listened to tym

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
On a more technical side of things.. I wonder if this newly implemented system of netcode will eliminate the region lock?

I have a few UK friends id love to play.

Slymind

Noob
I think you are the one living in a bubble. While the game did sell a lot, it still needs a strong community to continue to prosper. A strong community helps w DLC sales, which in turn comes back to us in the form of pot bonuses. tournaments turn into advertisement and sponsorship for them, which turns into more money.

With KP2 coming out along side with SFV, NRS needs something to draw people to KP2. SFV is a very big threat to NRS in sales because its a fighting game just like theirs, that has a bigger tournament presence, a strong casual fanbase worldwide (whereas NRS is mostly NA and EU) and the added incentive of "playing for DLC instead of buying" and "worked from the ground up with the most optimal online experience in mind." NRS needed something to bring their fanbase back in, and this is it. This will help bring A LOT of players back.
It really isn't, in terms of sales MK already did it's due. Competitive environment is another story, this improvement will help the game in that department, and it's positive thing, that's undeniable, and it's good that NRS cares about that, but when it comes to the bulk of sales, that comes from the general public, NRS does not have to worry, SF won't change that. specially because SF is taking a different route altogether, they are using a model that is similar to LoL, there is much to be seen about how things will unfold in this model, but better not derail the thread talking about this.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
On a more technical side of things.. I wonder if this newly implemented system of netcode will eliminate the region lock?

That's the golden question

I'll honestly think they will
But trying not to get too excited

Error404

Noob
Lol at all those "they wanna stay alive when SF5 drops" comments. MK 9 had more players online than week one USF4 . MK X also sold more in 2 months than all versions of SF 4 combined. If you think competition is why they're doing this then I am sorry to burst your bubble.

E

Eldriken

Lol at all those "they wanna stay alive when SF5 drops" comments. MK 9 had more players online than week one USF4 . MK X also sold more in 2 months than all versions of SF 4 combined. If you think competition is why they're doing this then I am sorry to burst your bubble.
I'd imagine competition is part of the reason why, but not the entire reason. I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons. ESL, competition, listening to their fans, etc.

That's a good question and I would like to play some NA players on PS4. Tbh, it's purely down to the publisher in most cases to decide on region locks, since the console itself is not hardware region locked. I wonder if WB would consider this, as a patch would probably enable it?

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
KI's netplay is superb. Nobody is denying that but it is not the first to do it well or seamlessly. And most of the big boys were dabbling (if not implementing) rollback before KI came around. NRS is just the last horse to finish the race, and actually they aren't, Namco is. But Namco has never cared what anyone else is doing.
Harada himself said that there was nothing revolutionary about the netcode in TTT2, just that because there's nothing under 10f in Tekken and that there's a very small buffer period in the actual game in order to reduce perception of lag.

Honestly I'd want a DoA/VF Akira player to chime in on those one frame knees.