What's new

Not the Character, The Player

Yes_Zir

Noob
I understand what you're saying, but in regards to MKX, this is how it's going to be for awhile. The game is still relatively new, so the same play styles are going to be seen more often than unique ones. It's boring and not ideal, but when you want to win uniqueness is more of an after thought than anything.
Definitely. And I look forward to the future of it. I just wanted to pose some form of discussion about the topic and hope that it, in some way, gets players away from the group think mentality. Could you imagine this sort of thing being applied to art or music. Like, instead of practicing, people just traced over references or instead of producing beats and practicing delivery and technique, everybody had the same flow and same instrumental depending on the genre. It'd be terrifying lol.

Thanks.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
That doesn't make sense.

Emperor Rebelo plays Sub. I gave Props to how he plays. It was a matter of how Sub is used versus how he can be used. Using a comparison between Rebelo and what's generally seen during a match versus Sub.

The entire thread isn't about bashing at all. Definitely not character bashing. It's more about promoting more potential, originality, and excitement from uses of characters versus copied strategies being the end goal.
No one seats behind ice clones anymore, saying otherwise is an insult to our intelligence and adaptation skills.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
What bothers me the most is top players picking same 5 characters all the time. Everyone just plays top tiers and watching same characters over and over again is boring. Especially characters like kung lao, sonya, cassie, kung jin, liu kang etc. Especially those special forces and white lotus characters gets on my nerves the most cause they're already the most boring characters in the game by their design. It just so happens that they tend to be also the most powerfull in mk9 and mkx. Then we also have Erron black, scorpion, quan chi and occasional grandmaster sub.

I've read somewhere back in the days of mk9 that Reo himself allegedly said that when he starts playing a fighting game, he goes straight to the most powerful top tier character in the game cause he wants to win tournaments and he'll do everything to maximize his chances. Ok that's completely understandable and logical, but imagine what would happen if everyone just played erron blacks and kung laos. Well why would designers even bother making other characters, why not just make a game with 5 characters which would all be top tier. Yes I understand the goal of every fighting game is to be as balanced as possible, but making every character equally good is nearly impossible. I always held the most respect for guys who played lower tier characters because their liked the character and many of them proved in the past that winning tournaments with lower tier characters is indeed possible. I'm pretty sure a super talented player like SonicFox could do very well with low tier character as well. Maybe not Goro but lets not talk about that. The problem is that noone wants to risk anything in order to be original. If a very talented player picks a lower tier character and trains hard with that character he could even have a competitive edge in some cases cause a lot of people don't even know enough about such characters. I respect all top players and I don't know how the situation is in other fg communities, but it seems that in NRS community, we don't have any top players brave enough to pick some new characters. That's also a problem for casual players who look up for good tournament footage for their character of choice, but are often unable to find any matches cause nobody plays that character.
Its called PLAYING TO WIN.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Definitely. And I look forward to the future of it. I just wanted to pose some form of discussion about the topic and hope that it, in some way, gets players away from the group think mentality. Could you imagine this sort of thing being applied to art or music. Like, instead of practicing, people just traced over references or instead of producing beats and practicing delivery and technique, everybody had the same flow and same instrumental depending on the genre. It'd be terrifying lol.

Thanks.
Actually, it does happen in art and music, at least while you're learning. Regardless, you can't compare the art and music to fighting games, because as I said, you have rules you have to abide by in video games. You have to play within those rules, you don't have as much creative freedom as you do in art and music. You have very little, in fact, which is my point.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
This is simply untrue, and a fallacy that seems to only apply to competitive gaming. Would you ever say this about Basketball, Football, Soccer, etc? Talent exists, which is why there's consistent top players across multiple games. If anyone could do it with practice, you'd see more randomized results. Which doesn't happen, you consistently see the same people placing and/or doing well. This isn't to say that any random person can't be better than these top players, but it takes more than just practice to become a top player.
Yes I would say the same thing about those sports, it all falls if ppl put the time and effort of doing so. Practice makes perfect bub.

Yes_Zir

Noob
Actually, it does happen in art and music, at least while you're learning. Regardless, you can't compare the art and music to fighting games, because as I said, you have rules you have to abide by in video games. You have to play within those rules, you don't have as much creative freedom as you do in art and music. You have very little, in fact, which is my point.
It was an analogy.

Yes_Zir

Noob
No one seats behind ice clones anymore, saying otherwise is an insult to our intelligence and adaptation skills.
So... I'm not sure if the point is coming across or not. But, that's not what the thread is about. Not sure if you're trolling or... No clue. But this isn't about bashing characters, calling out, or insulting anybody.

Its called PLAYING TO WIN.
It might be and that's the big problem imo. But If that's the case then I really don't understand why wouldn't you rather go play chess or something. It's more balanced than any fighting game will ever be, and you only have black and white figures. They're both top tier, I can guarantee you that.

Yes_Zir

Noob
Yeah I figured that out. You can't compare art and music to playing a fighting game, as I said. You have freedom in art and music that you just can't in competitive gaming.
If you're comparing them in the way that they're being done in terms of process, yes...yes you can. The analogy isn't to highlight the freedoms in music/art versus the rules of fighting games, but to compare the process in which people go about using characters and using those mediums.

Last edited:

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
It might be and that's the big problem imo. But If that's the case then I really don't understand why wouldn't you rather go play chess or something. It's more balanced than any fighting game will ever be, and you only have black and white figures. They're both top tier, I can guarantee you that.
Bc some of us like playing fighting video games and not chess? I dont even care for balanced, I much rather the game be unbalanced and use a top tier char to dominate everyone outside top8.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
For starters Pig isn't even the best example of someone we would like to be since everyone knows that he is one of the biggest cry babies with a huge diva complex. Cant even do well with buffed Kenshi while other kenshi players do so much better than he does. He also has the audacity to call out Reptile players for crying about their main while when it comes to crying he is the loudest lol.

Tom brady while he is the best Subz doesn't ever even make top8 and is a joke to most at the moment.
Which players are doing better than pig with kenshi? I don't think I've ever seen another kenshi make it as far as he does in tournies

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
So... I'm not sure if the point is coming across or not. But, that's not what the thread is about. Not sure if you're trolling or... No clue. But this isn't about bashing characters, calling out, or insulting anybody.
hit the ignore button and save your self from becoming the next Kenshi.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Some characters are meant to play in a certain way everyone is going to play in that way but have a bit of their own mix to the character.

Ex. M2dave played zod extremely zoning based and pig played more up close and mix up heavy. Both still playing alike but had their preference play style

I'd give more examples but I don't know enough of people's play styles on mkx yet. But I can assure their are differences in some sort of way. Everyone adds their own blend of game play to their character

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Which players are doing better than pig with kenshi? I don't think I've ever seen another kenshi make it as far as he does in tournies
After Pig got eliminated from tourny, I saw other players using Kenshi, don't remember their names. But if they were playing after pig got eliminated that means they were doing better.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
It's early in the game but some of it has to do with people jumping to top tier characters just cause they're good and not playing who they really enjoy. I mean there's a reason that Arma's Batman, P2W's Sinestro, and Pig's Zod were way different than anyone else's. I don't know how to explain it but it felt like they were just in tune with those characters. But now that everyone just wants to win they play characters that are really good instead of the ones fits them the best. I could be wrong though.

Yes_Zir

Noob
It's early in the game but some of it has to do with people jumping to top tier characters just cause they're good and not playing who they really enjoy. I mean there's a reason that Arma's Batman, P2W's Sinestro, and Pig's Zod were way different than anyone else's. I don't know how to explain it but it felt like they were just in tune with those characters. But now that everyone just wants to win they play characters that are really good instead of the ones fits them the best. I could be wrong though.
I want to say that, that's what I miss. I didn't gravitate toward playing Injustice, but I watched the streams and tournaments because there were those pops of uniqueness of how the players used the characters. Now, Yo... I tune into ESL and depending on the character picked and how the 1st round goes, I won't finish watching because it's predictable. And yeah, it's really early so I know a lot more can/will be found out. But...yeah, the play to win and tier jumping early on is... pretty stale

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Bc some of us like playing fighting video games and not chess? I dont even care for balanced, I much rather the game be unbalanced and use a top tier char to dominate everyone outside top8.
Heh. So, you'd rather beat people with top tier characters because they chose wrong at character select than be challenged in a balanced match. Got a fragile ego there, buddy?

Wigy

There it is...
Watching tom and reo play sub it generally looked like two bots programmed the same playing each other.

For me, Sub is the most one dimensional character in this game, find watching him even at the highest level painfully boring.

But hey, maybe i'm missing something.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
This is simply untrue, and a fallacy that seems to only apply to competitive gaming. Would you ever say this about Basketball, Football, Soccer, etc? Talent exists, which is why there's consistent top players across multiple games. If anyone could do it with practice, you'd see more randomized results. Which doesn't happen, you consistently see the same people placing and/or doing well. This isn't to say that any random person can't be better than these top players, but it takes more than just practice to become a top player.
you get it these people were baffling me with these ludacris posts.