What's new

No longer S-tier?

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
What a frustrating day to be a long-time Kano fan. He's been my favorite character since MK1, but it's no secret that he hasn't been a serious competitor since UMK3. That's a long time to labor with the pathetic Kano incarnations in games like Deadly Alliance and Armageddon, but labor I did. Now he finally has another chance to hang with the top characters in a game and it lasts one month before he's relegated back to mediocrity? And without dominating, let alone winning, even one major tournament? Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit.

And all because some scrubs and crybabies couldn't cope with one single special move? Insane. Kano's an almost entirely special move-based character in this game by design. He needs not just epic ones but multiple epic ones in order to hang with the best. A single great projectile alone is not enough to compensate for slow, unsafe strings and tough to time combos that don't make 40% even with meter. He's a unique sort of character and there's nothing wrong with that.

But I guess it's easier to just arbitrarily knock a fan favorite character that was saddled with weak designs for years back out of serious tournament contention after just one month than to convince the dregs of the player base to consider learning a thing or two, practicing against some good Kanos, and generally leveling up their game. God forbid they expect anybody to do that. Nope. Just nerf, nerf, nerf the threat away.

I'd give anything to have some competent developers backing this game.

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
Just like Kung post patch, Kano is still good. You still can't spam unsafe attacks against him, you still can't jump in on him, you still can't let him hang back and toss knives, and if b+112 gets blocked, you still can't attack back. Kano just gotta use more of d+1 and d+3.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
"Just like Kung post patch, Kano is still good. "

Good is...just good. I want great. After so many years of being outright low tier, I think he deserves to be one of the very strongest in the game. Right up there with Raiden, Cage, and Nightwolf. I, for one, fail to see why these characters somehow deserve it while the K-man doesn't.

Bottom line, though, is the that the developers need to look to tournament results and high-level play for guidance on balancing. Not the worst of the worst of the community bombarding the lead designer's Twitter with "OMG TEH UBLALL IZ BROKE." The arbitrary and generally garbage way they've handled updates to this game is yet another unfortunate reminder of why NRS is still a joke among fans of games of the more, shall we say, Asian persuasion.

goodone

Noob
how can you honestly agree with how incredibly spammable upball is right now, and how can you find it enjoyable lol?

theres a difference between cheese and competitive, when a single attack is making a game that strives to enter the tournament scene unenjoyable for the people playing the character and playing against it, then it needs to be fixed.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
how can you honestly agree with how incredibly spammable upball is right now, and how can you find it enjoyable lol?
I find my favorite character being top tier VERY enjoyable, thank you very much.

But in all fairness, other options would include making his F+3, B+2 low launcher safe on block and upping his combo damage across the board.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I used to main Kano. He's been one of my favorite characters. I dropped him because all I did was repeatedly fall on his bad habits, why you ask? Because they're that damn effective. Cya Kano, I'm enjoying Ketchup and Relish now; they've got more than gimmicks and actually give me a sense of reward when I win.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
"kano's low launching combo IS SAFE ON BLOCK ALREADY!"

Good to know. I would swear jabs and very fast specials like KL spin used to be able to nail it. I'll always admit that I can be wrong, though.

His F+3, B+2 launcher is not safe on block, at all.

Has his Upball fix (+2 frames of start up +6 frames on block) already taken affect? If not any ideas when it will? And WHY are they messing with the start up of it? +6 frames on block seems plenty enough. . .

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
His F+3, B+2 launcher is not safe on block, at all.

Has his Upball fix (+2 frames of start up +6 frames on block) already taken affect? If not any ideas when it will? And WHY are they messing with the start up of it? +6 frames on block seems plenty enough. . .
I think Tom Brady might know if it is safe or not I think it is cause I never been punished on it

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Kano is no longer S tier. He has dropped a tier.

I believe all NRS had to do was make Up Ball more unsafe on block to help low and mid tier characters. The start up of the Up Ball should not have been touched. The Knife Toss should not have been touched. Overall, Kano went even against most of the S tier characters, even with the powered up Up Ball. I respect what NRS has done for the community by patching game, but Kano's nerfs are certainly a knee jerk reaction. Players who are clearly uneducated about the game had sent Paulo Garcia a lot of complaints on Twitter, and he proceeded to take some actions that are unjustifiable.

By the way, as good as the Knife Toss is, there are ways to approach Kano. The hitbox on each knife is very small. Any character with a slide can slide underneath it. Any character with a low fireball can fireball underneath it. Noob can "crouch" it with the Shadow Up Kick. Nightwolf can reflect it. Johnny Cage can punish it full screen away with one bar of super meter. Jade can use b,f+3 and move forward.

I am not dropping Kano. However, I am practicing with Skarlet at the moment. If she turns out to be better, I am dropping Kano for Skarlet as my tournament character.

kano would still be a beast if they didn't fuck with the knives. be serious though the upball was bullshit. i'm going to say what i just said on the other kano thread. people will continue to bitch until all characters are garbage except their favorites.

Subby

Frost Warrior
"Just like Kung post patch, Kano is still good. "

Good is...just good. I want great. After so many years of being outright low tier, I think he deserves to be one of the very strongest in the game. Right up there with Raiden, Cage, and Nightwolf. I, for one, fail to see why these characters somehow deserve it while the K-man doesn't.

Bottom line, though, is the that the developers need to look to tournament results and high-level play for guidance on balancing. Not the worst of the worst of the community bombarding the lead designer's Twitter with "OMG TEH UBLALL IZ BROKE." The arbitrary and generally garbage way they've handled updates to this game is yet another unfortunate reminder of why NRS is still a joke among fans of games of the more, shall we say, Asian persuasion.
Its the player that makes the character(well, a portion of him, but its still a large factor.). Kano is still a very good character. If you love using this character so much, you ignore the fact that he got a nerf, and keep trucking on. Maybe go to some tourneys and represent him?

You can still cancel your blockstrings into choke to check your opponent guys. It's safe on block and catches jumps. That's how we used to do it in my days (before the up ball buff lol).

Upball was just plain lazy and abusable. Kano never needed that to win.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
That's a sweet sentiment, "Subby", but since I'm guessing (a truly wild guess, I know :) ) that your own main (whoever he or she might be!) still happens to be near the top of the heap, I might suggest that it's all too easy for you to talk.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
"You're focusing far too much on tiers."

Says the guy with the top tier MAIN. :)

You and Subby both crack me up.

In all seriousness, I've been enjoying my favorite character for years. Even the Armageddon version for Christ's sake.

But it's also about time he had the genuine power to go the distance at any level of play. Why not? UMK3 was sixteen years ago. The way I see it, he's due.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
Yeah I bet he thinks only S tier can win. Now because Kano is A+ he thinks he's not viable anymore.

Gotta love those tier whores. :p
Anyone can make a TYM account sadly, pick a char that you like and don't complain about if he gets nerf just deal or switch his perfectly fine just learn the combos and mixups and your fine

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
"You're focusing far too much on tiers."

Says the guy with the top tier MAIN. :)

You and Subby both crack me up.

In all seriousness, I've been enjoying my favorite character for years. Even the Armageddon version for Christ's sake.

But it's also about time he had the genuine power to go the distance at any level of play. Why not? UMK3 was sixteen years ago. The way I see it, he's due.
calm down. Theres no need to freak out because your character got nerfed. AND if you tell me otherwise because i main reptile...I might just have to slap you. Listen it really isn't the character so much as the player. Proof is gamerbee adon at last years evo, REO and his quan chi, and others(who dont exactly come to ming right now). Kano is still good. Real good. No need for complaints just because he isnt numero uno.

Xstatic

Noob
calm down. Theres no need to freak out because your character got nerfed. AND if you tell me otherwise because i main reptile...I might just have to slap you. Listen it really isn't the character so much as the player. Proof is gamerbee adon at last years evo, REO and his quan chi, and others(who dont exactly come to ming right now). Kano is still good. Real good. No need for complaints just because he isnt numero uno.
REO is using Johnny Cage, a character who he feels is the second best character in the game...

You can list Gamerbee with Adon, and I can counter with Tokido with Wolverine/Phoenix, Diago with Yun (and the countless other top players that have switched their mains in SSF4 AE to one of the top tiers). A top player with a top character trumps all. These players play to win, not to be a delicate and unique snowflake.

DCT

Noob
Wow this thread is pointless, Kano got nerfed and his cheap spamable upball is gone? So what's the big deal it's not like NRS beat him to death with a nerf stick to the point where he's a bottom feeder. They made a mistake, they corrected it end of story. It get's old seeing people complaining about reasonable changes and pining on whiney casuals. If NRS listened to half the stuff scrubs said the cast would be broken to hell or nerfed to oblivion with Scorpion's hellfire being made blockable and other stupid crap becuase they don't want to learn to play the game and figure a way to work around it. Kinda like, well the original poster since instead of learning to play Kano with the new changed upball you just write him off, kinda like how some people were writing off Cyrax after his bomb trap got removed and he's still sick, hell he's even sicker since people are discovering stuff no one seemed to know off because they were relying on the Bomb trap.

Xstatic

Noob
Wow this thread is pointless, Kano got nerfed and his cheap spamable upball is gone? So what's the big deal it's not like NRS beat him to death with a nerf stick to the point where he's a bottom feeder. They made a mistake, they corrected it end of story. It get's old seeing people complaining about reasonable changes and pining on whiney casuals. If NRS listened to half the stuff scrubs said the cast would be broken to hell or nerfed to oblivion with Scorpion's hellfire being made blockable and other stupid crap becuase they don't want to learn to play the game and figure a way to work around it. Kinda like, well the original poster since instead of learning to play Kano with the new changed upball you just write him off, kinda like how some people were writing off Cyrax after his bomb trap got removed and he's still sick, hell he's even sicker since people are discovering stuff no one seemed to know off because they were relying on the Bomb trap.
No one is complaining about his upball nerf. Everyone agrees it should have more recovery. It's the knife nerf that we don't like. I'm indifferent to the increased start-up on upball.

@yamo

Look, nrs has to balance pleasing the casual gamer AND tournament players. Does this mean they nerf everything so noone will complain about anything? no. It means they are trying to please everyone and IMO is doing a great job without succumbing to everyones bitching and folding in. Imagine this scenario..player A rents MK9 from blockbuster and they play online as they are diggin the game then player A starts fighting a hoard of kanos on ranked who abuse you with upball and knives..you think..damn thats cheap..i need to learn how to punish player B on block after that upball..you try to punish but just get hit by another upball and so forth. You keep blocking for fear of the upball and not being able to jedi-mind punish it then player B just runs up and throws you. So now you try to get back and spam the kano, he just spams back with knives and eventually gains the advantage back. This would be a very good scenario for player A to rage quit and not buy the game just based off of 1 characters move! i know right! sounds dumb! (i myself can get past most braindead kanos, as i am speaking for a big chunk of consumers who dont go on TYM or know about competitive gaming but still want to play the game and own it) but that kind of shit happens and starts to effect sales for NRS..not a good thing or look for NRS. You have to remember alot of the people who play online dont take this game as serious as most people on here and just want to have fun without being trolled by a kano.