What's new

New 2D Fighter: "Fright Fights" will feature Dracula, Dr. Jeckyll, Mr, Hyde and More

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The game is shaping up QUICKLY. The basic fighting engine is about 90% complete.
Also, this honestly worries me... a game like this shouldn't be rushed and that's kinda what it sounds like. A game like this should have its own unique fighting engine... even possibly completely different that each character getting a bar of life.

I also don't think they should be called "life bars"... more like "Fear bars" or something.

But yeah... I kind of think I would be disappointed if this didn't have it's own unique engine, but I have faith! :)

Tim Static

Adminerator
Also, this honestly worries me... a game like this shouldn't be rushed and that's kinda what it sounds like. A game like this should have its own unique fighting engine... even possibly completely different that each character getting a bar of life.

I also don't think they should be called "life bars"... more like "Fear bars" or something.

But yeah... I kind of think I would be disappointed if this didn't have it's own unique engine, but I have faith! :)
Candy Bars? haha jk

Death Bars lol

Certain parts of the game come faster. right now is the easy part. Balancing it & filling in the gaps all around is the hard part :)

Tim Static

Adminerator
A life bar for Dracula? Let's think about this..

Did Dracula ever punch or kick anyone? That's also what I mean... in means of making it "unique".
Yea i know what your getting at. Something unique should replace the term "life" in this game for sure. The fact these guys are actually fighting is what makes it unique, IMO.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Yea i know what your getting at. Something unique should replace the term "life" in this game for sure. The fact these guys are actually fighting is what makes it unique, IMO.
Ehh, I sorta disagree. These characters could just be another character from another game, but re-skinned as Dracula or Dr. Hyde. Each character should be studied and their normals and specials should all be unique. I know... easier said than done, but these characters raising their fists to fight doesn't sell me 100%.

Just being 100% honest... I am very excited about this game.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Ehh, I sorta disagree. These characters could just be another character from another game, but re-skinned as Dracula or Dr. Hyde. Each character should be studied and their normals and specials should all be unique. I know... easier said than done, but these characters raising their fists to fight doesn't sell me 100%.

Yea, i know what your saying, and it doesn't sound at all like what they're doing (thankfully). I'd like to think they're going to lengths to distance themselves from what Capcom's Darkstalkers & the cult/underground game Terror Dome did in terms of gameplay & just overall experience with the game.

I am very very excited about this too, bro. Love the idea & love what i'm seeing & what i'm hearing from Adam. :)

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!

I know what you mean. It might be hard to distance themselves. I know Skullgirls isn't 100% original... but I am hoping it is something like that.

Also, this honestly worries me... a game like this shouldn't be rushed and that's kinda what it sounds like.

You are 100% correct of course. The rush we are going through is just to get a presentable playable version for the Kickstarter. Once the Kickstarter goes live we are going to relax for a couple days and just observe the Kickstarter, and converse with you guys and the Kickstarter audience.

This is the exact reason I have yet to even touch a combo system in any depth. I have written the bare framework for a combo system, only because chained hits had to be considered by other parts of the engine. I have literally written the game in such a way that the least amount of code possible was written (under 2,000 lines of code). This was done so that we weren't locked into any one direction following the Kickstarter. This will also enable me to expand the engine and mechanics as needed.

As for the characters having unique features that will make them stand apart from other fighters... do not fear. Yes... every character will be punching and kicking each other, but they are also going to have their iconic personas intact.

You better believe that Dracula is going to be siphoning life off of his opponent and adding it to his own. That is just the tip of the iceberg though. Each character will have something unique and identifiable about them. One of the unannounced characters has ability to tamper with the game clock, there are going to be some unconventional abilities in the game for sure. That is why we are really going to need your help to balance!

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
You are 100% correct of course. The rush we are going through is just to get a presentable playable version for the Kickstarter. Once the Kickstarter goes live we are going to relax for a couple days and just observe the Kickstarter, and converse with you guys and the Kickstarter audience.

This is the exact reason I have yet to even touch a combo system in any depth. I have written the bare framework for a combo system, only because chained hits had to be considered by other parts of the engine. I have literally written the game in such a way that the least amount of code possible was written (under 2,000 lines of code). This was done so that we weren't locked into any one direction following the Kickstarter. This will also enable me to expand the engine and mechanics as needed.

As for the characters having unique features that will make them stand apart from other fighters... do not fear. Yes... every character will be punching and kicking each other, but they are also going to have their iconic personas intact.

You better believe that Dracula is going to be siphoning life off of his opponent and adding it to his own. That is just the tip of the iceberg though. Each character will have something unique and identifiable about them. One of the unannounced characters has ability to tamper with the game clock, there are going to be some unconventional abilities in the game for sure. That is why we are really going to need your help to balance!
Is there any chance this might come to Xbox, maybe as an XBL arcade game?

Otherwise I wouldnt be able to play it when it comes out :(

Art

Grave_Intent
Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted (even the troll and haters!). I am quite shocked at the response this thread has gotten. It gives me great hope that we picked the right genre to wrap up into a fighting game.

I can tell you this, we had a long conversation with the Chaney family yesterday - and they are just as excited as we are to get this game out there!

The game is shaping up QUICKLY. The basic fighting engine is about 90% complete. That is exciting because now we can start to address and polish up art, UI, combo systems, etc...

I have had zero sleep the last several days. I have been pounding down the caffeine to stay awake. Between programming 100% of the game, animating the characters, creating sprite sheets, throwing together placeholder UI and background art... Not to mention moving from California to Alabama on May 31st, and having to unpack all of our belongings in our new home... I am exhausted. But seeing both the love (and hate) that the game is already receiving makes it all worth it.

I'll be keeping you guys posted with updates!
Wolfman + Creature from the Black Lagoon...MAKE IT HAPPEN ;) Keep up the good work :)

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner

I am very curious about your game engine. What language do you program in?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
CaliMaestro for example... with punching and kicking... Nosferatu should be like Freddy in MK9,,, using his nails/claws instead of fists.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Guys guys, can I just make a suggestions. I am pretty sure CaliMaestro knows what he is doing. All of us suddenly giving him a variety of game design ideas is probably not helping him right now, i.e. "too many cooks spoil the broth". I know all of us here love fighting games and we are all excited at the prospect of one of our own creating just such a game and I am sure he is thrilled by our enthusiasm, but I can tell you from a game designer point of view, telling him what his game should and should not be like is not constructive. Unless he specifically asked for such ideas, in which case I'll just shut up and listen.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Guys guys, can I just make a suggestions. I am pretty sure CaliMaestro knows what he is doing. All of us suddenly giving him a variety of game design ideas is probably not helping him right now, i.e. "too many cooks spoil the broth". I know all of us here love fighting games and we are all excited at the prospect of one of our own creating just such a game and I am sure he is thrilled by our enthusiasm, but I can tell you from a game designer point of view, telling him what his game should and should not be like is not constructive. Unless he specifically asked for such ideas, in which case I'll just shut up and listen.
I can respect this. However, from the screenshots and more and more thought... that's where my concerns came in to play.

It seems like he's ahead of everything though... and the ghostly images in the background as their "nightmare" special move is proof of that.

I can respect this. However, from the screenshots and more and more thought... that's where my concerns came in to play.

It seems like he's ahead of everything though... and the ghostly images in the background as their "nightmare" special move is proof of that.
Storms, I got your email last night and we talked about it quite a bit. I'd like to talk to you by phone or Skype on some things we could do. It would be quite awesome if we could make TYM the official home of the community.

And in regard to the characters and their styles - I just want to let everyone know that we are going to take great care with this. If you notice on Nosferatu's attack above, it is open handed to allow the claws to shine.

And here is a tidbit that even I have just come to know through our relation with the Chaney family. Last week I was in Palm Springs meeting with them at their office, and we were discussing Lon Chaney Sr., and how he might have envisioned Erik (the Phantom) and his fighting style.

The Phantom of the Opera obviously takes place in France. French fighters have a very erect boxing style (check out Cheik Kongo in the UFC for reference). They also let me know that Lon Sr. was a huge boxing and prize fighting fan. So we decided to take the Phantom in a direction that Lon Chaney Sr. would have enjoyed were he still with us.

These are all little tidbits that we are going to let the world in on over the course of the Kickstarter. But with all that said... there is just no way we are going to escape the theme of a 2D fighter, it would abandon a large part of a potential community. Do expect all of the characters to be punching and kicking, but - please rest assured that we are going to be taking every precaution to capture the essence of each character.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys!

ryuandken24

From the page of Cage!
looks awesome. the gillman from the creature from the black lagoon could pull off some sweet attacks I think. and maybe a guest character or a 80s horror icon would be sweet.

ryuandken24

From the page of Cage!
hey yo man is a facebook already made for the game? if not then could I make one by any chance? I would love to help.