What's new

My trip to NetherRealm Studios last February

Sasuga - Thanks a lot. Well, believe it or not, like i mentioned in my original post, the blockstun was the biggest problem with the game. Every character had block trap infinites. When you take in to account the amount of damage that has on the game, 5 days was a godsend. I was so focused on the demo when it came out in March, only to find it was a build from the day i got there in February :(

IniquityDM - I could go through a lot of things that should be different next time around. This was the first step towards something greater. Fuck, even they could of thought it was a waste of time, but we went in there and made a difference, and proved that this is what needs to be done in the future. We set the bar, for something greater later on. There is, of course, the DLC debate. I don't think anyone was ever brought in to test them. Like i said, i could go on and on about what needs to be done differently next time, but for now, the community needs to know the effort they made by just bringing us there. It's a start.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
Jim - I think know who you are, you found the Mileena combo in the demo, right? In one of the meetings with Hector Paulo and Jon, Tom Brady brought up the Impale bug as a joke, because he always jokes around with me that i glorify the find too much (even though it really was a brilliant find), and of course, i jokingly made reference to finding the bug being like finding Reptile in MK1.
Paulo said that he didn't know about it until i found it, which makes me happy. Jon Edwards was like "There's Impales in Armageddon? Cool." I know those guys have tried show love to the scene as much as they could. I'll definitely be out there this summer. I'm glad to have inspired you to the extent that you've gone. You know, i've been hearing stories like yours for years now, and it never gets old. It always feels the same way as it did the first time i heard it. Thanks for that, and for the very nice post! Means a lot.[/quote]

I believe that was Devil Jim, I'm a Sub-Zero player (though I'm trying to switch to Freddy). Though he was in the pool across mine at Evo. If you are out in Chicago this summer definitely let us know in the Midwest/Chicago forums so we can all meet up.

Not to steal their stories but at Evo Moe and Tom Brady were talking about when they did the testing. Tom said "I'll never forget what Moe said as soon as he saw the Kabal dash cancels 'Umm are you gonna do something about that?" This was before any of the matches so everyone was still expecting Michelangelo to come in and dash his way through to top 8 at least.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
glad you guys got to do this. i agree 100% on the block stun, no one will ever convince me that its needed to have me release block and watch my character still be blocking.. its no surprise that the characters with the best block stun strings are top characters as well.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Not to steal their stories but at Evo Moe and Tom Brady were talking about when they did the testing. Tom said "I'll never forget what Moe said as soon as he saw the Kabal dash cancels 'Umm are you gonna do something about that?"
LOL! I remember that too. When I was messing around with Kabal and Paulo told me to hold back and block after doing his dash, I did the NDC and Moe said that. All of us were like... uh, wtf!? That is SO broken lol

LMAO!! I remember Bone and I were rofl when we tried Stryker for the first time... he still makes me smile when I play him.
That's awesome. I won't forget how much you loved Stryker. You used to talk about him in meetings a lot too, and i liked what you were saying about him humiliating his opponent. I hadn't even tried Stryker yet, but just from hearing you talk about him made him sound great.

Another thing i remember was with Shock and I how we stopped and watched story mode for a sec and saw Cyblax during chapter 1 and were like "Cool, Kai is in the game." Never would of thought it'd end up being Cyrax's alt.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
IniquityDM - I could go through a lot of things that should be different next time around. This was the first step towards something greater. Fuck, even they could of thought it was a waste of time, but we went in there and made a difference, and proved that this is what needs to be done in the future. We set the bar, for something greater later on. There is, of course, the DLC debate. I don't think anyone was ever brought in to test them. Like i said, i could go on and on about what needs to be done differently next time, but for now, the community needs to know the effort they made by just bringing us there. It's a start.
Now, this is the kind of thing i like to hear.. Lets hope next time there is less red tape preventing you guys from having more time to test the game and just enjoy this imperfect, but yet magnificent game :)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
now after having so much success i think WB will give them even more time and more resources to make the next game even better. they had more chances with this game than they ever had with older MK games but it still isnt up to par with the attention other games get. Now they see how important for guys like check to get out there.

Guys i want to see on it next game:
Check
Tony T
Tyler Lantern
Glue
the below get it because nobody has exploited a character like these guys and they deserve a chance to mess with and show people how to break a character...
Reo
CD
Obviously I meant to put konqrr in there too.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Before my cab arrived to remove me from NRS ;_;, I was told that they liked my input and asked if I would like to come back in the future... I never heard back from them on the matter, but I was also hella busy with work and school.

I'd go back if I could!

Yup, Konqrr was a major baller over there. Not even the mighty Check could compete.

Good shit, Kelly. Any plans with school on coming back with me someday?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Yup, Konqrr was a major baller over there. Not even the mighty Check could compete.

Good shit, Kelly. Any plans with school on coming back with me someday?
My field is Information Systems Security, not game design/development or testing. Although I am a programmer at heart, my school was not offering it at the time and I am already invested.

What I am good at is seeing a problem and coming up with good solutions. I've always been good at taking something and making it better. I think NRS saw that.

"how many jabs should you be able to do before the person is able to get out?"

well, i think it should be standard 4 (5 character specific), but they should be pushed back after that. problem is,
mk has never had any moves with fast enough start up to counter anything even if there is pushback. also, there are no charge characters to make you think twice about your strategy.

nonetheless, congratulations, check.
ahhhhh, i remember when kitana would move forward after each jab, and that what was causing her block jab infinite.

oh the memories, how they just come to me.

thanks gamemk

My field is Information Systems Security, not game design/development or testing. Although I am a programmer at heart, my school was not offering it at the time and I am already invested.

What I am good at is seeing a problem and coming up with good solutions. I've always been good at taking something and making it better. I think NRS saw that.
"Block and Destroy" aka Blockstun4900

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
ahhhhh, i remember when kitana would move forward after each jab, and that what was causing her block jab infinite.
Yeah, Scorpion had the exact same thing.

Kitana's cutter also hit mid and she had another block infinite with d3~cutter.

Yeah, Scorpion had the exact same thing.

Kitana's cutter also hit mid and she had another block infinite with d3~cutter.
Everything you do is gold, man. That is, until you disappeared off the face of the planet :( Seeing you in chicago was like the first time i heard from you in mad long.

But yea, you were always good at coming up with shit. "Block and Destroy" will always be my favorite. And that shit is like, 8 years old.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Mid cutter lol.

I always wondered if Pretty Kick was supposed to be mid because the Pretty Kick/Fake Out Kick mixup makes no sense now.
Pretty Kick should be mid... It would have a use then. I used it as wakeup at Revelations because I had no idea what her other wakeups were... too new to the game at the time lol

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Mid Pretty Kick would be awesome. d+1~Pretty Kick.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I'm actually in school for Game Design. Maybe one day I'll get to have Concept Art for MK, in the krypt. :p