What's new

My trip to NetherRealm Studios last February

ZAQ - You played a huge role in my success. If it isn't for you, i don't know what road i would of ended up down that past Fall with Java. I just remember my dreams shattering, and if it wasn't for you, i would of never gotten my dreams back. Thank you, Zaq. For always being there for me and this community.

RiverHB - You've been one of my biggest supporters since MKDC. If it wasn't for you and everyone else, i wouldn't have been able to keep going. Consider this thread my token of appreciation. Thanks for checking it out. "See you on the leaderboards" :)

MK9-SnOwY - Thanks! It was a blessing to finally achieve this goal of mine for 10 long years! It was exactly a year ago today that we checked in to our hotel! The folks at NRS paid for our flights, our hotel, and even paid us for our time there!

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This is interesting. It's great they brought you guys in. Hopefully for the next game they bring in an even bigger group for a longer period of time.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I loved the read. I remember where I was and my reactions when things were leaked but to be one of the guys who went out there...man. I am truly jelous.

That said, I'm really curious about NW. I read tweets of people saying he was top tier. I kept hearing about his eh lightning traps and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in how he turned out. To hold on to some sort of pride in my character, how OP was he in beta? Was f3 a low?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
STRYKIE - Thanks brother! Glad you enjoyed it! That's an interesting question that me and Shock have actually discussed recently. It's sort of like a curse from being out there. It's the game you remember and the game you wanted by the time you left, so for us, it wasn't exactly what we wanted in the end. In other words, it's hard for us having worked on the game because we envisioned it a certain way by the end of our trip, played it a certain way while we were there, and when it finally came out wasn't exactly how we thought it'd be We just kind of remember the game in a certain way. That's pretty much it.
I see, I never thought of working with the game internally having that kind of effect but I definitely see and appreciate where you and Shock are coming from in that respect, that being said, I think I'd like to stay on this side of the game (no offence :p), but it's still rewarding to know that you were hand picked by NRS to help them and many fans alike to realize their ambitions for MK9 right? Thanks again man.

Gooch Peencher

XBL GT: Unikob
First off, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the past 10 years of support on Youtube (well, 6 if you don't count my account i closed or my first few years of videos on NukesGoBoom's page). It has been a hell of a ride, and i still have a few things MK-related to post sometime down the road.

10 years ago, it was my dream to one day help NetherRealm Studios out with one of their games, and last february, i got the chance to. It was me, Konqrr, Tom Brady, Shock and Krayzie Bone (along with DreamTR and Moe/Throwerr) that got invited by NRS to come try out the game, and let me tell you, this was an experience that could last a lifetime. Even though it was only a week, i still had a lot of fun doing it and talking to them about their game. I'm glad to have played a small part in the making of Mortal Kombat. To see this game win Fighting game of the year was very special to me. Going to CEO and watching the game being played was also very special to me.

When i first got there, i met Hector, Shaun and a few other members of team, then we sat down and did some paperwork to solidify the deal.

After that was done, we walked through the studio and got a quick tour etc etc.

From there, it wasn't time to play the game yet. It was time for our first meeting.

In this meeting, we were given a piece of paper, which was kind of like a tutorial of "What they know already" and "What they want us to look for". I remember one of them being "1 frame links".

After examining that piece of paper, Hector, Jon, Rigo, and a few others came in, and we had our first meeting. Went over the piece of paper, asked if we had any questions, then Hector went around the table and asked us each what we were gonna be looking for. Of course, i said "The blocking."

We finally sat at our cubicles and got ready to play MK for the first time! Very exciting. I sat at the first cubicle. Konqrr sat next to me, and Shock all the way at the end. Other side was noone at first cubicle, Bone in the middle and Tom Brady all the way in the back. My console was a XBOX360, so that presented a problem. Hector was nice enough to let me use his ps3 pad until they got a PS3 system set up.

From there, we all dove in. Tom Brady stayed with Sub Zero the whole time we were there. Bone messed around with Jade mostly and a little bit of Stryker. Shock used Sonya mainly, but also messed around with other things. Konqrr did Kitana, Mileena, Ermac, Shang Tsung, Baraka and also messed around with other characters as tested with Shock. Bone tested with Tom, and i was by myself. I sort of oversaw what everyone else was doing, like a Lead Tester. The characters i broke down were Scorpion, Sub Zero, Kung Lao, Reptile, Nightwolf, Smoke, Sektor, Liu Kang and Noob Saibot. Mind you, this was in 4 days.

My 3rd character i picked, was indeed Reptile, and it wasn't before long that i noticed the block jab infinites. Let's just say, from that point on, the next few days were mostly just the other 4 guys finding the rest of them. There were a lot. I was glad they did that because i didn't want to spend my whole trip there having to go through the rest myself. The blocking was by far, the biggest problem with the game while we were there.

But it got a little out of hand on the 3rd day, and Hector had a meeting with us. He wasn't too happy at all. He wanted us to stop looking for the block jab infinites and start trying to find other problems with the game.

I admit, at first i was upset, but afterwards, i thought about what he said, and he was right. And so, i went through the entire cast for the next day and a half, went through all their moves, wrote down each input and gave my opinion on them.

Most of my comments were "this hits too high" or "this should hit low/mid" or "increase the speed of the animation once blockstun is improved". Well... the blockstun thing didn't end up going my way, but i'm glad to have helped anyway. It took me about 2 to 3 hours to write up a single character, and i got all the way up to Sheeva as i was walking out the door (the last day we were there was only a half a day). It was exhausting. We worked from 8 in the morning till 1 am. We were given the choice to leave at 5pm or stay till 2am. And without hesistation, we all wanted to stay as late as possible.

On that last day, we had a meeting with Ed Boon. They went through every character with us and whichever one of us worked on the character we spoke about. I also talked to Ed about the blocking and explained to him how moves can still be safe with less blockstun like how Hapkido was in Deadly Alliance. He was convinced and wrote it down on his piece of paper (victory!). That was my main gripe with the game.

After the meeting was over, i pulled Ed aside and talked to him about a future testing job. I let him know how i was currently going to college for a game testing a degree and have every intention of coming back when im done, in which he replied "OK!" very excitingly. I also talked to pretty much every developer while i was there about my future job and received a confirmation from them as well.

My dream finally achieved... After all these years. It was almost a year ago to this day that we went out there. I'm glad to see everyone here enjoying the game and moving the scene. It's a great feeling to have been a part of it.

Other notable events from my trip:

1) Ed walking past my cubicle on the 2nd day checking out my TV a little bit. I got up and introduced myself then. I was the only person there this happened to. ^_^

2) NBA All Star stuff (slam dunk contest, 3 point shootout etc) was going on. I remember asking Hector if i could watch it and he said yes. I wound up not watching it because i was so swamped with work, but it was cool to walk by the lounge room and see Hec, Brian, Jon, Shaun etc all watching the dunk contest together. Really cool to see them enjoying it. Wish i would went in there.

3) Goro's Lair - The arcade room with every Midway machine... right next to the lounge room... right next to kitchen. Can you say heaven? Got to play Moe in UMK3, which was special. Shock was showing everyone glitch jabs etc.

4) Days Inn - This hotel was great. When we got there, we explained to the guy behind the counter why we were there (to an extent). Of course, when he asked "What's it for?". I replied very tiredly (which sounded very villainous) "The day will come.... when you will know...." In which he replied "Ok, just wait for me to get off my shift before you blow up the hotel"... not gonna lie, i sounded very like a terrorist when i said it.

5) Watched ESPN every night after getting home from work. All i was watching was for Carmelo to finally sign with the Knicks (which wound up happening after our flight home).

6) One night, i hung out with a couple of locals in Chicago, and boy, let me tell you, the people of Chicago are the BEST. It was the most fun i had in a long time. We walked around Chicago signing Cypress Hill and drinking etc. Later on went up to their hotel room and chilled out till 4am (this was after working from 8am-1am) knowing i had to get up in 3 hours for another 15 hour day. I didn't care. I lived off adrenaline while i was there, because it was that intense

7) Flying over the living forest as we were about to land in Chicago.

8) Getting stuck at the airport on our way home and having to take a flight instead the next morning. boooo

9) Doing the Scorpion 4 jumpkick teleport combo in front of Hector and him replying afterwards "Why you always gotta be the hero for, Jason" I was sooo nervous doing that combo in front of him. Knew he was busy and that i had to land the combo quick.

10) "Jax is just a black dude with a gun" "Liu Kang is just a chinese dude with a headband"

11) Rigo giving us each another interview on the 3rd day asking about how we liked the game and what surprised us most. Maybe someday you'll see those interviews! He also filmed us at our cubicle. Of course, i did the Scorpion 4 jumpkick teleport combo while i was filmed. It was what i was most known for while i was there.

12) The developer i talked to most out there was none other than Brian Lebaron. This guy was great. He made you feel comfortable being there. He told me about his history back in NY. This guy deserved to be there. A true MK addict.

13) Carlos Pesina was extremly humble and very appreciative of us being there. I couldn't help but go "This is the life, man. This is the life!" which is from MK:Unseen. An unbelievable guy. Can't wait to see him again.

14) Lastly, it was great to finally meet Konqrr after 9 long years. He's been there since my beginning in this community. He gave me the strength to keep posting combos in his thread during MKD. And of course, getting to meet Bone was also great, a guy i've shared many games with and whom i inspired as a player when he first started taking MKA pretty serious.

Overall, it was a great experience and something that should be done again. I hope to be a part seeing as now that i've gone through it i'll know what to expect next time. Thanks NetherRealm for a chance to live my dream.

Thanks to everyone who read this and i hope it can be of some inspiration towards you.

-Jason
I've seen you on the forums a lot but didn't know too much about you, but after reading this, I'm jealous of your life haha. You deserve it from what I see everyone saying about you and I love hearing about people doing what they love, and what I'd love to do. You've got my respect, even though it probably dooesn't mean much :p

sent from my phone using a free version of tapatalk. hehe

Fatality_check

Never Gonna Give
Nice read. I think if there's one thing I would want from my Uni course, it would be to become a character artist for MK. I'd come up with some sick designs.

Osu 16 Bit - Glad you like it! I hope to see you out there one day. I heard you say once that MK is all you got. Same here, man! With that passion you'll go far. Keep it up, and thanks.

L0rdoftheFLY - Been a long time coming bro. You've been there since the beginning. Glad you were here to see this thread finally happen. As for Nightwolf, he is exactly how he was back then. The only differences were the amount of blockstun his specials put you under. You couldn't move, and when you can't move you eat lightning. NW was hardcore. The amount of blockstun on all his specials was just insane.

STRYKIE - Yea man, it's a curse! But for that one week i spent there it was worth it. A part of me is still out there in Chicago.

Gooch Peencher - Everyone is equal in this community. Remember that. It means just as much as anyone else. Thank you!

Fatality_check - Great to hear your aspirations. Believe it or not, most people i talk to tell me they would want to do the same thing as you and not game testing. I'd have ideas for fatalitys and storylines, but character design? I can only comment on someone elses design and how i would improve it. Thanks for the post.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It was definitely a great experience and it didn't feel like work at all. I can see it getting extremely tedious if it was a game that I did not enjoy though.

We really didn't get too much time to talk to people at NRS as the game was supposed to be in stores in two months, but I loved every second of it. It was the first time in my life that I was excited to wake up in the morning and did not want to leave when the day was done lol

The absolute hardest part of the trip was learning the game as fast as possible so we could find things wrong with it. We only had 5 days and the first 2 were spent learning the engine. Everyone but Shock were already familiar with MKDC, so it wasn't as hard for us as it was for him, but damn... it got stressful at times.

Great writeup Check.

Long live 2am taco bell runs ^_^

@L0rdoftheFLY, NW could 2-in-1 his lightning so if you ended a combo with arrow or something that did good hitstun, you could dash up and do d4~en lightning for free. He was good, really good.

EDIT: NW f3 was never a low, but you couldn't tell if an EN move was being done so he could mixup with f31~hatched and f31~en hatchet. You could never tell if it was the EN version so you were forced to block and guess which if he did regular hatchet, he would do f31 again and mix you up all while building meter. He also did more damage back then.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I was just saying Wafflez (Chicago Smoke player) at GGA the other day that one of my wishes for MK 10 is Check being on staff at NRS. I told him about the impale bug you found in one of the 3D MK games (forgot which one). Fact is you understand the game engines better than the makers do. I've never talked with you but I've been a huge fan for a while. Honestly you are what inspired me to go from playing just online or against the CPU to really look at what fighting games had to offer. Your youtube videos led me to Street Fighter tournament videos (Let's go Justin!) and from there I couldn't wait for MK9 to come out and be as good as I hoped it could be.

You should come out to Chicago some time before working at NRS. GGA always has stuff going on and there are a ton of good players. I know Hector mentioned they really aren't allowed to play the game in public and for sure can't enter tournaments so come out before you sign on with NRS.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Konqrr

You used to be able to link eh lightning after d4?!?!?!?!?!?!
I edited my post so read it again for more info ^_^

But yeah, lightning was able to be canceled off normals, but it never comboed. D4 put them in enough blockstun where they couldn't jump out so it was free.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I edited my post so read it again for more info ^_^

But yeah, lightning was able to be canceled off normals, but it never comboed. D4 put them in enough blockstun where they couldn't jump out so it was free.
If lightning was linkable (I don't care if it combos) that would give nw so much more. Now he doesn't have any true set ups for eh lightning...it's all a guess... tell NRS to make f2 an overhead and give arrows better properties (recovery, hit/block stun) for next patch and I'll be happy!

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
If lightning was linkable (I don't care if it combos) that would give nw so much more. Now he doesn't have any true set ups for eh lightning...it's all a guess... tell NRS to make f2 an overhead and give arrows better properties (recovery, hit/block stun) for next patch and I'll be happy!
It was stupid broken when it was thoroughly tested, so it was removed. Like Scorpion being able to 2-in-1 hellfire which was really stupid.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
It was stupid broken when it was thoroughly tested, so it was removed. Like Scorpion being able to 2-in-1 hellfire which was really stupid.
I agree...I understand why it's not there but f2 being an overhead and a better arrow I'm dead serious about. It would make him viable

Konqrr - We all worked so well together. And how could i forget Shock picking the game up as fast as he did without having played any MKDC. That was truly something special. Great eye for something that i should of mentioned and my bad to Shock for not including it in my post. I really enjoyed working with you. When i would do my character writeups, i would ask you to take a look at them before i sent them in because i was so nervous, and every time you would read them and tell me they were good. Thank you so much for that. Just thanks for being so easy to work with. Really intrigues me how we were all able to work so well together when some of us had never met each other. And yes, every time i see Tom Brady, i always mention to him about our latenight runs to Mcdonalds/Taco Bell. Funny shit.

Jim - I think know who you are, you found the Mileena combo in the demo, right? In one of the meetings with Hector Paulo and Jon, Tom Brady brought up the Impale bug as a joke, because he always jokes around with me that i glorify the find too much (even though it really was a brilliant find), and of course, i jokingly made reference to finding the bug being like finding Reptile in MK1.
Paulo said that he didn't know about it until i found it, which makes me happy. Jon Edwards was like "There's Impales in Armageddon? Cool." I know those guys have tried show love to the scene as much as they could. I'll definitely be out there this summer. I'm glad to have inspired you to the extent that you've gone. You know, i've been hearing stories like yours for years now, and it never gets old. It always feels the same way as it did the first time i heard it. Thanks for that, and for the very nice post! Means a lot.

Sasuga

Noob
Great read, Check! Thanks for sharing.

I still find it unbelievable that they only went with a week of testing with just a handfull of testers. Didn't they feel at the time that this wasn't enough? Let's just hope next time will be better, lol. They should have some extra 'debug' options in the trainingmode that can help expose bugs and such earlier, like customizable responses by the cpu. That kind of thing could help tremendously.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
now after having so much success i think WB will give them even more time and more resources to make the next game even better. they had more chances with this game than they ever had with older MK games but it still isnt up to par with the attention other games get. Now they see how important for guys like check to get out there.

Guys i want to see on it next game:
Check
Tony T
Tyler Lantern
Glue
the below get it because nobody has exploited a character like these guys and they deserve a chance to mess with and show people how to break a character...
Reo
CD

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Great read, Check! Thanks for sharing.

I still find it unbelievable that they only went with a week of testing with just a handfull of testers. Didn't they feel at the time that this wasn't enough? Let's just hope next time will be better, lol. They should have some extra 'debug' options in the trainingmode that can help expose bugs and such earlier, like customizable responses by the cpu. That kind of thing could help tremendously.
They wanted to bring us out for 2 months or so, but there was so much red tape that they had to go through just to get approval to do it, that all we had was 5 days when it was all said and done. I wouldn't trade it for anything though.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
They wanted to bring us out for 2 months or so, but there was so much red tape that they had to go through just to get approval to do it, that all we had was 5 days when it was all said and done. I wouldn't trade it for anything though.
I was under the impression that WB was okay with giving them sufficient time? At least I recall reading that, anyways. 2 months is still not all that much time in reality, but it certainly beats 5 days. Oh well, I'm sure MK10 will be the actual competitive installment, and they'll have more resources next time. Is what it is.

Ah, i remember on the 2nd or 3rd day when we had to fill out all those forms to get paid. I think every single of us have said this:

"Would of did it for free."