What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 Ranting Thread

Altaire

Noob
Yeah, it may be because you can lose more often to randomness in SSF4, at least in my experience. One great thing about MK games, at least imo, is that there's less randomness and a bigger skill gap between the skill level of players. The skill gap part may not be true for MK9 specifically, but it's definitely the case in regards to UMK3. But I feel in SSF4, sometimes you will lose because of the game mechanics and features rather than because your opponent is truly better or outplayed you. That's the only thing I can reason considering I too rage more when I play SSF4, and I've heard many many others say the same.

Didn't mean to derail the thread here, but that's probably what will happen with my response to this post, lol.
I disagree with this. So much.

I'm sorry, but I find it's a lot easier to get scrubbed out by randomness in MK9 than it is in SF4. Scorpion is a testament to this, so is Raiden. You can do completely random shit with Scorpion, no matter how bad you are, and you have about a 1/20 chance of winning (to throw out an arbitrary number). SF4 is so formulaic that it's a lot harder to win by random play, though it does still happen.

I should stress that I'm not an SF fanboy. I like SF, but I much prefer MK9, and I am a whole hell of a lot better at MK9 than I am at any SF.

Warplay

Noob
Just gotta have fun with the online. It is what it is. If you can't take losing(for whatever reason), then MK isn't the game for you. The online has a lot of frustrating problems, but it's managable if you have a good connection yourself.

SSF4 is a great game and all. But one thing I really hate about it is the dumb vortexes, Option Selects, 50/50s and 30/30/30s.

Ibuki, C.Viper, Akuma, El Fuerte... god I hate fighting against that kind of character. Because it's not the better player who wins, it's the player that's better at guessing right vs randomness. Constantly having to guess which way to block on knockdowns can get frustrating very quick. Especially when your character has poor wake up options.

In MK9, there's only Scorpion, Kung Lao, Kabal and Freddy that can get annoying like that. But they can't loop their guessing games on every freaking knockdown. Once you manage to get out of Kabal's block trap, you're out. There's no bullshit vortex loop or anything that can't be escaped in one way or another. Even if it means getting hit / using a breaker.

Subby

Frost Warrior
You know, you all should really avoid Ranked matches. BS happens on that part of online all the time and I can never correct my mistakes because of no rematch. No, I would rather join a lobby and chose my opponents, regardless of W/L's.

I can deal with the online being kind of assy, though it is annoying when spam gets the better of you for no reason other than lag making it difficult to time jumps and counters (and making most of my jump punches go through people). But still, I can deal.

However, the thing that bothers me more is the online community. Between the hatemail, tea-bagging, and general gloating, it just isn't a fun experience. You get ripped on if you win and you get ripped on if you lose, and so the whole thing just becomes very negative.

So, now when I play online it's mostly tag with my friends against random people, because the game is a lot more relaxing when you have friends who can laugh with you about how stupid people are.

webreg

Noob
Characters matter

I play Kitana offline but I play SZ online. I also ONLY play them in their respective environment, so I don't play SZ offline. Every character that has BNB combos and links, that need any kind of delay, timing, spacing or reaction are at a tremendous disadvantage online and simply can't be played the way they are meant to be so I don't play them. Every character with BNB dial-a-combos is a good choice online, those without aren't. If you try anyway, then that's just asking for troubles and disappointment.

Kabals <121 into >32~Slam is a good example of a bad BNB that requires timing between the two inputs. Online you just can't do that reliably. That's why I do <121 into jump kick~air fireball or simply sawblade. I does a lot less damage but I can do it every time and count on it. I played offline a lot before ever going online and did the most crazy combos. Online I have a completely different set of BNB combos that do less damage but are reliable. That's the only way to play online and the reason why you can't compare online and offline play. The move set, tactics and execution has to be different in order to be successful.

Don't ever EVER try to play a character online like you would play him offline.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Online is horrendous especially with a full Koth, i was playing krayzie and i raged so hard because his 2,1 had priority over kanos choke, and i couldn't punish his teleport instead i would just float in the air.

So much rage lol

Welcome to online play, now put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

Seriously, online play isn't the best in any game. Ranks mean nothing online because offline play is where the real skills at. Anyone can sit online 24/7 beating scrubs day and night just to get their rank high. Most people just spam because they know online is a joke.

its funny how bad this games online is compared to other fighting games. ssf4, tekken, even mvc3 all have better online than mortal kombat. and it was one of the modes they were talking about the most before release. turns out its the worst mode in the game. sometimes i would rather play the a.i. over and over.

Shady

Noob
Damn Shady what!!! It's weird online for me, I'll win almost 90% of matches vs people with 37+ true rank and lose to someone who has 20 with a record of 45-60, lose to the most random ass shit you can possibly think of due to lag and input delay, it's just something I've learned to deal with.
That's the biggest thing that gets me. Like I play good against you, Milky, Lion, THTB and such, but like I get demolished sometimes by people who play like they're just bashing their head against the controller. That's what frustrates me, especially if they choose to rub it in after. Like I said, no more ranked, ever, and just going to do private games against a few good people a few nights. :). Sleep helps calm down... And yeah, definitely no Kabal unless the connection is good because that is just an exercise in frustration.

I quit playing online for awhile. The other day, I started back up. Win,lose, or draw I have fun. If any of you would like some games, add Daredevil77 on Psn.

Offline play > online play > No MK.

I sympathize. It is irritating to lose to someone who is obviously scrubby. Losing because of input delay or negative edge makes me ridiculously salty. But don't take the online scene too seriously. As you said, a lot of them are kids who just mash out 2-3 moves repeatedly. And THEN they have the elephant sized balls to talk trash? Whatever junior. On any given day I fight maybe a dozen people like that. But then I have two or three really great fights which, win or lose, reconfirm my love for this game. If there's a local scene for you to join, awesome. I hope to join the one here, but until then online is my only option.