What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023) Official Gameplay Trailer

The very first gameplay footage of NetherRealm's new Mortal Kombat 1 was showcased at Summer Game Fest 2023 (hosted by Geoff Keighley). The trailer features Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny Cage, a sighted Kenshi, Kitana, and Mileena, as well as cameos from Goro, Sonya, Kano, Stryker and Jax.

Main gameplay:
  1. Kung Lao vs. Sub Zero
  2. Johnny Cage vs. Kenshi
  3. Scorpion vs. Liu Kang
  4. Raiden vs. Kenshi
Shorter gameplay clips:
  • Sub Zero vs. Raiden
  • Mileena vs. Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao vs. Johnny Cage
Kameo characters (may also be main cast):
  • Goro
  • Sonya
  • Kano
  • Stryker
  • Jax

Comments

Help me out: who's the first character that appears along Sub Zero at the bar? He looked like Kung Lao but at the same time he didn't. Is it Kung? Is it the Great Kung?

Is he "THE PROTAGONIST" of the TITAN KITANA script leak? :DOGE

Help me out: who's the first character that appears along Sub Zero at the bar? They looked like Kung Lao but at the same time he didn't. Is it Kung? Is it the Great Kung?

Test Im on mobile lol
It's Kung Lao. He just tosses a non-bladed hat at Sub. Based on the context, it looks like that's going to be early in the story before Lao is a student under Fire God Liu.

Well, that entire thing was 100% win....

the most common complaint about MK11 was that the kombo variety was lacking and the game lacked the ability to be creative with kombos... it looks like this is a major focus of the game. Every character had air kombos in the demo, I mean Scorp even had a air spear! We had Kameo popups as well, and they work like Street Fighter 6 Modern Controls, so 3, maybe 4 moves for each Kameo.. so each Kameo has selectable moves that are basically extra specials. We had kameo fatalities, breakers and MvC style tag team supers... holy fuck!! This means that, depending on how many Kameos we get, is like endless kombo variety. Labbing this game will be amazing.

Stages are beyond good. Holy shit they look fantastic. The gfx in general are just amazing. With so much more onscreen there has to be a fidelity drop for the main characters... but the new look is awesome and the slightly zoomed out is an obvious necessity. I absolutely love how good the game looks and imo so far looks better than MK11 did, which was, for me, a little dark and the pallet sameish across the entire game. MK in daylight and bright colours in an Iron Man style luxury home?! FUCK YES.

Story mode is NRS story mode.. we know it will be godlike, but also know that once played it is done and done. Not much to say on that. Story, fight, story fight... its all good.

I can't express how happy I am for what we saw in this, now we need the Kombat Kasts and more revels to confirm our hype. I also want to see solo content (as I spend most of my time there)

Also I LOVED LOVED that they turned Raiden into an apprentice
Swapping Radian and Kang is so perfect.

Last edited:
That looked beautiful. I'm really digging the look and tone they're going with. It's like a mixture of the Golden Harvest and John Woo films from back in the day.

Gameplay and story wise, it looks promising, but of course, I need to experience it by playing the game to give the final verdict.

Last edited:
Looks cool, I love it. Some may not agree, but I LOVED MK11's gameplay, was a hard 'n' heavy return to MK2's rock 'em sock 'em concrete level movesets in a stunningly gorgeous modern context; you could play PVP vs many non-pro players and still win off sweeps, roundhouses and uppercuts, and it's how I still play MK. I'm 41, there's no teaching this old dog new tricks, especially when I don't want to learn them. It felt oldschool yet new at the same time.

M1K looks like an extension of that and am very glad to see as such.

-Mileena is main roster
-Mileena is on the throne
-Mileena & Kitana are actually sisters and care for each other
-Mileena will most likely have a chapter in story mode
-Mileena gameplay looks fun

MILEENA FANS WIN :D
I don't know, I get Kitana being secretly villainous from the trailer.

I don't know, I get Kitana being secretly villainous from the trailer.
Mileena during the crazy "x factor" era that we call the 90s and even in MK9 stuff was unexplored as a pure bad girl... I think there is a great story opportunity to depict her as a more tragic villain. I mean sure, she better be a monster, but there has always been a aspect of tragedy in her story not explored in story mode yet. So that is what I would like to see some of.

Mileena during the crazy "x factor" era that we call the 90s and even in MK9 stuff was unexplored as a pure bad girl... I think there is a great story opportunity to depict her as a more tragic villain. I mean sure, she better be a monster, but there has always been a aspect of tragedy in her story not explored in story mode yet. So that is what I would like to see some of.
They can finally be sisters and work together for AT LEAST 5 minutes in story mode, something I always hoped for since Kitana's MK9 ending

Jesus Christ, the game looks fucking amazing, and awesome beautiful ! :D

Cannot wait for more information, and Kenshi looks so fucking badass, omg !

The Jonhhy Cage mansion stage is dope

This game will have some crazy combos ; the kameo mechanic is OK allright, since would be nothing much more different than this, but, the kameo fighters are all well done, their design surpise me how good they are, despiting being kameo, so, yeah, great chance that kameo fighters , some of them, end being full playable characters !

I actually like the idea of reimagining a couple of villains as good guys/ambivalent characters. It’s a good way to give them more airtime/playtime in story mode since we don’t really get to play true villains as much.

Also have to say how much I love the stripped back rustic character designs. I don't want 20 belts wrapped around their arms and chests, I don't want weird hats, excessive armour or overly dramatic masks that would impact the character's ability to even see. Love seeing classic characters just in a gi, or dressed as, ya know, a human being might actually dress for a fight. Definitely got my support for the character designs.

Also I know it's not final but the roster they showed has 24 spots. A little "too little" for me but hey, it can always increase in number.

...Although I don't think the base roster increased in size in any post 2011 games era when they first showed it, did they?

I love Kung Lao dressed in a hoody and jeans (with his Kameo version clad in the traditional version of his costume), but the fact Johnny and Kenshi were dressed in shirts and trousers made it hard to differentiate. The style seems pared back, which isn't a bad idea. I'd love to see Shinnok done in a more realistic style, if possible.

The gameplay looks clunky, specially moves/combos. It's not looking too good atm.

But at the end of the day: that product can't be worse than MK11. So that's that. Hopefully they have learned and took points.

If not...well I know Capcom did lol