What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023) Official Gameplay Trailer

The very first gameplay footage of NetherRealm's new Mortal Kombat 1 was showcased at Summer Game Fest 2023 (hosted by Geoff Keighley). The trailer features Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny Cage, a sighted Kenshi, Kitana, and Mileena, as well as cameos from Goro, Sonya, Kano, Stryker and Jax.

Main gameplay:
  1. Kung Lao vs. Sub Zero
  2. Johnny Cage vs. Kenshi
  3. Scorpion vs. Liu Kang
  4. Raiden vs. Kenshi
Shorter gameplay clips:
  • Sub Zero vs. Raiden
  • Mileena vs. Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao vs. Johnny Cage
Kameo characters (may also be main cast):
  • Goro
  • Sonya
  • Kano
  • Stryker
  • Jax

Comments

That Johnny Cage mansion stage looks amazing. It seems like they may have figured out that people actually enjoy doing crazy combos and didn't like short string into double enhanced bicycle kick a million times over.

Looks great and I can't wait to play it.

My man Stryker is the true MVP of the entire trailer.

Omg the graphics look insane! And Mileena is on the throne this time?? And Kitana tries to protect her??? She finally got her flowers I could cry right now!

I didn't realize how much I missed Goro Punch Walk until seeing it again. Hoping this game is more MKX then MK11, so far I'm loving what I'm seeing.
It definitely looks more like MK11 than MKX so far. Slower gameplay, no run button. The styling of the early combos looks something like a mix of MK11 and MK9. What we saw in the trailer looks like it could definitely tend towards being more footsie-heavy, but we'll have to see more to know for sure.

My thoughts:

• The game's graphics look great.
  • The character design looks excellent, a mix of klassic, new, yet simple styles.
  • Kameos appear to function as Kombo extenders, Breakers, Fatalities, etc.
  • Kombos in general appear to be back, or at least more robust.
  • No shit 3D era characters in-site yet.
  • Great to hear voice actors returning.
  • Kameos bringing klassic skins is nifty.
Thus far, I'm liking what I see. I also hop Lao tossing his cloth hat is a thing.

Omg the graphics look insane! And Mileena is on the throne this time?? And Kitana tries to protect her??? She finally got her flowers I could cry right now!
Looks like they're actually sisters for real. And she's diseased, so perhaps no Tarkata in this timeline. Or the Tarkata are a disease.

Honestly, now that I’ve seen the trailer, I can dig it. It seems like anything is possible this time around, which doesn’t rule out the Kombat Kids either(Johnny could still have Cassie this time around). The stages look amazing! As for Kung Lao, are they combining him with Kung Jin? Liu Kang is gathering warriors again? Who are they fighting?? Kenshi is also base roster??

As for the Kameo fighters, those are the only revealed ones so far, so I’m not too worried about the rest of the roster. Yeah the animations are kinda weird, but it’s not gonna stay like that. Can’t wait to see what the final game is gonna look like!

I know this was a gameplay reveal trailer, but since it was so hyped up and anticipated, I was hoping for some breakdowns. But, obviously this was better than nothing! The kombo system looks like it promotes expression far more than MK11, so that’s a huge plus. But I’ll have to rewatch it a few times to really get my thoughts down.

The very first gameplay footage of NetherRealm's new Mortal Kombat 1 was showcased at Summer Game Fest 2023 (hosted by Geoff Keighley). The trailer features Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny Cage, a sighted Kenshi, Kitana, and Mileena, as well as cameos from Goro, Sonya, Kano, Stryker and Jax.

Main gameplay:
  1. Kung Lao vs. Sub Zero
  2. Johnny Cage vs. Kenshi
  3. Scorpion vs. Liu Kang
  4. Raiden vs. Kenshi
Shorter gameplay clips:
  • Sub Zero vs. Raiden
  • Mileena vs. Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao vs. Johnny Cage
Kameo characters (may also be main cast):
  • Goro
  • Sonya
  • Kano
  • Stryker
  • Jax.
Kano is main cast. There’s a short moment where he’s performing a fatality.

Last edited:
Seems to be clear that Kamoes are used also as combo breakers.

Speculating, but I like the possibility of kamoes being your resource where you have to balance using it for offense (combo extender) or defense (combo breaker).

Could be wrong though

It definitely looks more like MK11 than MKX so far. Slower gameplay, no run button. The styling of the early combos looks something like a mix of MK11 and MK9. What we saw in the trailer looks like it could definitely tend towards being more footsie-heavy, but we'll have to see more to know for sure.
It definitely looks more based on mk11 than X or 9. At least breaker seems to be back.

The design looks great but I think people who didn't like 11 (like myself) are not gonna like this either. This one adds some sort of air kombat and the kameos as a way to give variety and extend combos, but honestly it feels like an expansion of 11.

Will definitely try though, since Kenshi is in again and looks interesting.

By the way, they said some playable characters are also kameos. That means there will be non playable kameos I guess? The amount of dlc kameos then it's going to be huge. Easy money since they will be fast to develop.

Goro looked terrible. He's tiny Goro, pocket Goro.

Combo's look interesting with the new air normals, I will have to see how they work. Overall the feel of the game reminded me of like MK11 and Injustice 2 mixed together. Could be good, could be bad. Never really got to see ground movement. Like there was no dashes, just slow steps. Overall it looked good tho, I'm optimistic. If you were expecting MKX RIP your hopes.

Kameo's look like they were played extremely safe, directly ripped from mk11 towers. During the fire god Lui Kang sequence it looked like he was literally using tower assist attacks. Pretty underwhelming, but maybe they'll feel different making combos and using them in game. Still tho RIP to the people's favorites who are locked in as just kameos. They have no gameplay/indavidual feel to them. They're just combo extenders or enders.

I'm totally gonna get grilled for this. But my initial thoughts when the fight game play started was "this looks like a cartoon"... There's something about the special effects that look cheap to me. Almost to a fortnite or mobile game level, especially on something like when Kung Lao's kameo character does the spin, that effect around him looks so cheap. Or even the pink glow around Mileena when she rolls.

Anyways will need to re-watch a few times to see if my thoughts change.

Also I'm not a fan of them CONSTANTLY removing Sub Zero And Scorpion's masks and hoods and giving them giant pony tails/man buns. I'm a ninja fanboy tho so what do i know lol. Bummed thats the look they'll have in story mode.

As a kid the ninja esque characters were cool because they had a touch of mystery to them (palette swapped for storage i know). Now they retain that mystery for all of 20 seconds tops before everything comes off.