What's new

MLG "continuation" rule

Medina4life

Media Master
I know I posted about this earlier, and feel it deserves a seperate forum. What are your guys's opinion on the "continuation rule?" Also, I would like to hear what you guys have to say about what the format of MLG should be like. We still have yet to hear the final decision on things, but at least we can talk about how it should be here. With a 128 man bracket, the most logical system to me would be 4 pools of 32 players each. Have someone knowledgeable of our scene to see the pools accordingly. Standard Evo qualifier rules. Best 2/3 for all matches in pools, and 3/5 for Finals in Top 8. Character lock when you win a match. Now here is my original post about the continuation rule.

"Will there only be one pool? If so, will the "continuation" rule apply to Mortal Kombat 9? If not, here is Get Your Tournaments explanation of what it is.. This is important for anyone competing to know. I sense backlash if the players don't know about this rule and end up meeting each other again in the losers bracket some time..

http://www.gytnews.com/articles/commentary/understanding-the-continuation-rule.html

For the lazy...
Every match you play in the tournament has more value than they way standard rules in a double elimination bracket are. Basically, say PL and REO meet each other in the winners bracket. REO sends PL to losers bracket 3 - 2. PL fights has way up the bracket and they end up facing each other in Grand Finals or even say losers top 8 or something. Because Reo beat PL earlier in the tourney, the continuation rule makes the previous set they played earlier in the tournament count. What this means is the match is no longer best of 5 but extend the series to become a best of 11 with a 3-2 advantage for Reo

From what I understand, for Reo to win he only need to win 3 matches to advance
while PL would need to win 4. It makes the process all the more complicated and harder to follow along if you haven't watched every single match. My biggest concern is the commentators not fully understanding the continuation rule, or them having difficulty explaining to the viewers. I myself am having a tough time understanding this. Let us just pray that they don't use this "rule" for the fighting games. I fear there might be an uproar or backlash for the unorthodox rules which in my opinion, is just overly complicated and not necessary.

What if the top players aren't seeded properly and face each other first round. Are they going to be penalized with this messed up rule?"

Death

Noob
Yo i wouldnt mind tournament code be mandatory for all matches. Meaning no first hit bonus. I always hated that and thought how something so dumb can really effect a round/game. What do you guys think? MLG is known to change around gameplay from its current default settings. Would tournament code be good for all matches?

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
It is different that is for sure....
but it probably will not change the outcome too much. I am indifferent, can't knock it untill you try it I suppose.

gdf

Noob
I'm used to seeing no blood code, and 2 out of 3's and 3 out of 5's. That's my personal preference.

It would be nice though to see MLG using established rules. That way the fighting game community wouldn't feel so ostracized from MLG because it is only run the MLG way. (That's how I see)

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
With this much money riding on the line 36k...the continuation rules make a lot of sense. If by chance you beat someone 3-2 and have to end up playing them again, you will not want skill in that MU to be wasted. especially with the big bucks!

I just bought my MLG competitor pass a couple minutes ago, so now I'm officially going down to Columbus next weekend. Get hype!
Hey man, congrats and can't wait to meet you there. If there's a KL to learn from, it's you. Now, I'm not trying to be an asshole in any way, but what the hell does your going to MLG have to do with this thread? lmao. This is about the MLG Extended Series rule.

Extended Series is stupid. SC2 had a giant-ass uproar about it when they got added to the MLG game rotation, lots of people still hate it, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's not a hard system to comprehend, most people's beef with it is why would you penalize a loser even more than his already attained loss...

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I'm indifferent on the continuation rule as a competitor. However, it's a lot to keep track of for tournament organizers on top of what they already have to deal with. It would be nice if MLG stayed on par with the normal MK standards just for consistency purposes (in all areas).

If they end up doing a very large bracket instead of pools, you'll end up getting the same results in terms of where people place. However pools make it much more organized for everyone. The tournament runners can do things on time, the players know when and where they have to be, the stream gets a constant flow of high quality matches, ect. I'm all for 8 to 16 man pools.

mekane

Noob
So are these situations how things are dealt with:

Situation 1: Player A beats Player B in pools. Player A (winners) meets Player B (losers) in grand finals. They play a match to 11 (including first match results) to see who advances (wins the tournament), loser is eliminated from tourney.

Situation 2: Player A beats Player B in pools. Player A loses in winners finals to player C, and meets Player B in losers finals. They play a match to 11 to see who advances, loser is eliminated from tourney.

So in situation 1, I am OK with the rule, Player A could get eliminated, but only if he in total loses more matches against Player B

In situation 2, I don't like the rule, because in effect, player A would not be penalized for losing in winners finals to player C, and he has the advantage going into the match with Player B. Does this make sense? In a way, Player A could in effect be lose 2 times and still advance. Unless I'm not understanding the rules correctly.

It's neither. Normally grand finals would be a best of 7, but if Extended Series comes in to play then it's bumped to a Best of 9, and the results from those 2 players' previous meeting would be used.

Let's use the REO PL example again. REO beats PL early in the tournament 3-2. After that, both players are undefeated and make it to grand finals. Instead of playing a Bo7 with the score at 0-0, they will play a Bo9 with the score at 3-2 in REO's advantage. REO must win 2 games to win the tournament, while PL needs to win 3.

I don't know if PL winning 3 "resets the bracket", or if PL just straight wins. I don't quite remember that last detail from my SC2 watching days.

mekane

Noob
It's neither. Normally grand finals would be a best of 7, but if Extended Series comes in to play then it's bumped to a Best of 9, and the results from those 2 players' previous meeting would be used.

Let's use the REO PL example again. REO beats PL early in the tournament 3-2. After that, both players are undefeated and make it to grand finals. Instead of playing a Bo7 with the score at 0-0, they will play a Bo9 with the score at 3-2 in REO's advantage. REO must win 2 games to win the tournament, while PL needs to win 3.

I don't know if PL winning 3 "resets the bracket", or if PL just straight wins. I don't quite remember that last detail from my SC2 watching days.
It would make sense for him to just straight up win IMO, although I assume if its normally a best of 7, and the first match was a best of 5, it should be first to 3+4 = 7 wins or best of 13 for the rematch in grand finals.

I actually plainly said that finals are normally a best of 7, and they are only a best of 9 if extended series applies lol. Where are you getting a best of 13 from i'm confused

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Yo i wouldnt mind tournament code be mandatory for all matches. Meaning no first hit bonus. I always hated that and thought how something so dumb can really effect a round/game. What do you guys think? MLG is known to change around gameplay from its current default settings. Would tournament code be good for all matches?
is it known 100% that the ONLY think tournment mode code changes is taking away the 1st hit bonus?
personally i like the 1st hit bonus, makes your 1st choice of action more important

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
It turns off foreground and background elements as well as the first hit meter gain. I think it also turns toasty off.
hmm the foreground and backround stuff intresting, could help with those laggy tourny tvs (cmon we've all had it happen).
but no toasty?!?! fuck that!

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Hey man, congrats and can't wait to meet you there. If there's a KL to learn from, it's you. Now, I'm not trying to be an asshole in any way, but what the hell does your going to MLG have to do with this thread? lmao. This is about the MLG Extended Series rule.

Extended Series is stupid. SC2 had a giant-ass uproar about it when they got added to the MLG game rotation, lots of people still hate it, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's not a hard system to comprehend, most people's beef with it is why would you penalize a loser even more than his already attained loss...
Thanks. Well this thread is about MLG, and me going to MLG is about MLG, so my posted related to the thread kind of I guess :p I couldn't find the regular MLG thread and didn't think I should make a new one. I would have also commented on the continuation rule, but I don't really understand it O_O

jamessmk

I am your god
I see nothing wrong with current format. PL would have to beat REO by doing a reset, and forcing another best of 5.