What's new

MKX Variation Tier List by Yomi DJT

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I play all varations, mostly Metallic.

(Talking specifically about Lava Skin)

Metallic Tremor is the least meter dependant variation, have between upper 20s to mid 40s in damage while restanding.

Also a safe low launcher, able to utilize his flash parry more since he doesn't need his meter for anything else and insane meter building.

Everyone is still talking about Aftershock (understandable, it's very good) but I'm of the opinion Metallic is his best. Unpopular opinion but there it is.

You MAY need Aftershock or Crystalline for certain MUs, I.E. zoners, (I haven't explored all MUs yet) but honestly you can't go wrong with any of them.
Tremor's weakness remains the lack of a fast advancing mid attack, which translates to the inability to deal with low pokes very well. Aftershock addresses this weakness with the aerial earthquake while Crystalline addresses this weakness with an armored, advantageous launcher. How does Metallic tackle this weakness?

At this point, most Tremor players (i.e., DJT and Inflames to name a few) agree that Crystalline ≥ Aftershock > Metallic. I am interested in your rationale, but you need to quit the generic assertions and provide more details. High damage does not equate top tier. Ask Jacqui players.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Welp, I did one, please understand I have limited knowledge and this is just what I was feeling, there is no order within tiers.

S+ Tier
Summoner Quan, Kobu Jutsu Tanya, Tempest Lao, Aftershock Tremor, Hollywood Cassie, HQT Predator

S Tier
Dragon Fire Liu Kang, War God Kotal, Sun God Kotal, Wrestler Jax, Heavy Weapons Jax, Crystalline Tremor, Metallic Tremor, Boneshaper Shinnok, A-List Johnny Cage, Sorcerer Quan, Royal Storm Kitana, Shaolin Kung Jin

A+ Tier
Pumped Up Jax, Demolition Sonya, Buzz Saw Lao, Piercing Mileena, Deceptive Reptile, Grandmaster Sub Zero, Brawler Cassie, Spec Ops Cassie
Swarm Queen D'vorah, Cuttthroat Kano, Flame Fist Liu Kang, Imposter Shinnok, Shurai Ryu Takeda, Bojutsu Kung Jin, Covert Ops Sonya, Warlock Quan Chi, Blood God Kotal, Outlaw Erron Black, Gunslinger Erron Black

A Tier
Dualist Liu Kang, Hat Trick Kung Lao, Thunder God Raiden, Stunt Double Johnny, Mournful Kitana, Cybernetic Kano, Ethereal Mileena, Ronin Takeda, Cryomancer Sub Zero, Nimble Reptile, Noxious Reptile, Master of Souls Ermac, Venomous D'vorah, Hunter Predator, Lackey Ferra/Torr, Vicious Ferra/Torra, Ancestral Kung Jin, Hellfire Scorpion, Ninjutsu Scorpion

B+ Tier
Commando Kano, Brood Mother D'vorah, Ravenous Mileena, Relentless Jason, Fisticuffs Johnny Cage
Balanced Kenshi, Kuatan Warrior Goro, Dragon Fangs Goro, Necromancer Shinnok, Lasher Takeda, Inferno Scorpion, Special Forces Sonya, Marksman Erron Black, Spectral Ermac, Assassin Kitana, Displacer Raiden, Full auto Jacqui

B Tier
Unstoppable Jason, Mystic Ermac, Warrior Predator, Possessed Kenshi, Kenjutsu Kenshi, Unbreakable Sub Zero, Slasher Jason, Tigrar fury Goro, Pyromancer Tanya, Dragon Naginata Tanya, Master Of Storms Raiden, Ruthless Ferra/Torr, High tech Jacqui, Shotgun Jacqui
Not bad I was too lazy to separate the b tier

Tremor's weakness remains the lack of a fast advancing mid attack, which translates to the inability to deal with low pokes very well. Aftershock addresses this weakness with the aerial earthquake while Crystalline addresses this weakness with an armored, advantageous launcher. How does Metallic tackle this weakness?

At this point, most Tremor players (i.e., DJT and Inflames to name a few) agree that Crystalline ≥ Aftershock > Metallic. I am interested in your rationale, but you need to quit the generic assertions and provide more details. High damage does not equate top tier. Ask Jacqui players.
Honestly this site is 99% general assertions. And it's very difficult to give a detailed description that holds the short attention span of the average TYMer without well made videos, match footage, etc. A lesson I learned after making my how to deal with Predator video that was "too long" according to alot of people.

I'm quite aware high damage doesn't equal high tier. My point in bringing up his damage is that it's all meterless. Aftershock has very average damage without the OTG and Crystalline is the same even using the low launcher. Metallic has the universal overhead as well as a low launcher that's safe on block. Not armored if meter burned but it's still a safe launcher.

As far as his pokes and him getting low profiled to death I personally have just stopped getting into "poking situations" where even if his low pokes hit he can't follow up with something else.

I don't know how Aftershock and Crystalline dealt with this any differently than Metallic. Are Tremor players timing the armor right? Are they hitting the instant air quake consistently? I've always done poke, backdash/jump back or poke, cross over jump or poke, flash parry. Just depends on who I'm playing. Because he doesn't have a useable mid his spacing has to be more away from the other player instead of on top of them where that poking battle happens when both characters are crouched throwing out low pokes until someone hits or throws.

I did say it's the unpopular opinion that Metallic is his best. I could be missing something. So could everyone else who thinks differently. Each variation is really good and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Welp, I did one, please understand I have limited knowledge and this is just what I was feeling, there is no order within tiers.

S+ Tier
Summoner Quan, Kobu Jutsu Tanya, Tempest Lao, Aftershock Tremor, Hollywood Cassie, HQT Predator

S Tier
Dragon Fire Liu Kang, War God Kotal, Sun God Kotal, Wrestler Jax, Heavy Weapons Jax, Crystalline Tremor, Metallic Tremor, Boneshaper Shinnok, A-List Johnny Cage, Sorcerer Quan, Royal Storm Kitana, Shaolin Kung Jin

A+ Tier
Pumped Up Jax, Demolition Sonya, Buzz Saw Lao, Piercing Mileena, Deceptive Reptile, Grandmaster Sub Zero, Brawler Cassie, Spec Ops Cassie
Swarm Queen D'vorah, Cuttthroat Kano, Flame Fist Liu Kang, Imposter Shinnok, Shurai Ryu Takeda, Bojutsu Kung Jin, Covert Ops Sonya, Warlock Quan Chi, Blood God Kotal, Outlaw Erron Black, Gunslinger Erron Black

A Tier
Dualist Liu Kang, Hat Trick Kung Lao, Thunder God Raiden, Stunt Double Johnny, Mournful Kitana, Cybernetic Kano, Ethereal Mileena, Ronin Takeda, Cryomancer Sub Zero, Nimble Reptile, Noxious Reptile, Master of Souls Ermac, Venomous D'vorah, Hunter Predator, Lackey Ferra/Torr, Vicious Ferra/Torra, Ancestral Kung Jin, Hellfire Scorpion, Ninjutsu Scorpion

B+ Tier
Commando Kano, Brood Mother D'vorah, Ravenous Mileena, Relentless Jason, Fisticuffs Johnny Cage
Balanced Kenshi, Kuatan Warrior Goro, Dragon Fangs Goro, Necromancer Shinnok, Lasher Takeda, Inferno Scorpion, Special Forces Sonya, Marksman Erron Black, Spectral Ermac, Assassin Kitana, Displacer Raiden, Full auto Jacqui

B Tier
Unstoppable Jason, Mystic Ermac, Warrior Predator, Possessed Kenshi, Kenjutsu Kenshi, Unbreakable Sub Zero, Slasher Jason, Tigrar fury Goro, Pyromancer Tanya, Dragon Naginata Tanya, Master Of Storms Raiden, Ruthless Ferra/Torr, High tech Jacqui, Shotgun Jacqui
Your list seems pretty accurate but damn ruthless f/t in b? It's their best variation so I'd either Place them above or in The same tier with lackey and vicious.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I'm quite aware high damage doesn't equal high tier. My point in bringing up his damage is that it's all meterless. Aftershock has very average damage without the OTG and Crystalline is the same even using the low launcher. Metallic has the universal overhead as well as a low launcher that's safe on block. Not armored if meter burned but it's still a safe launcher.
In Crystalline, EX low stone shatter results in a consistent 33% of damage. With the use of another bar, you get 46% of damage. The additional 13% of damage is unbreakable. I can only pray that NRS perceives these combos to be "average" as you do, so they do not get normalized in the coming patch.

Metallic is a bill. This variation is not S tier. Actually, neither is Aftershock. Only Crystalline may be considered S tier. Tremor gains the best offense and the best defense in this variation.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
For me Jax is A+ because he got some bad MU, he is full combo punishable and his OH got small range so he should stick to do his 50/50 and it's not one of the best 50/50.
I'm glad you put cutthroat over cybernetic and I agree with that but I think he is only A, yeah damage is here, it's hard to punish kano, one of the best back dashes but he lose his B1 for an CLOSE RANGE overhead (if miss you are full combo punishable) with 13 Start up when Shinnok has low in 7 with more range, so I say cutthroat is A.
I believe Jax' overhead starter is completely safe - at least the last time i checked due to the fact that oh dash doesnt come out on block. I've invested a lot of time in Pumped Up and Jax is at least S imo. It's only logic that his oh dash is unsafe due to the insane damage rewards he gers for no meter. Jax also has extremely good buttons - 6 frame moves, plus frame strings and more. Pumped Up also has somewhat underrated zoning options. Really solid character. NOT everyone gets 43% off a 5050 for no meter.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
@YOpJT ya put Summoner Quan in S-tier twice

Also, Mystic Ermac officially worse than Spectral by a whole tier?
mfw
Sorry I meant to put sorcerer. Yeah I feel like mystic is pure
In Crystalline, EX low stone shatter results in a consistent 33% of damage. With the use of another bar, you get 46% of damage. The additional 13% of damage is unbreakable. I can only pray that NRS perceives these combos to be "average" as you do, so they do not get normalized in the coming patch.

Metallic is a bill. This variation is not S tier. Actually, neither is Aftershock. Only Crystalline may be considered S tier. Tremor gains the best offense and the best defense in this variation.
your tremor knowledge seems like a bill.

FuzzyDunlop

AC/DC Bag > Ghost
Your list seems pretty accurate but damn ruthless f/t in b? It's their best variation so I'd either Place them above or in The same tier with lackey and vicious.
Appreciate it! Yeah F/T and Jacqui were the main ones I really had no idea on.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
When you have 87 characters, you need to separate into more tiers or order within tiers. Otherwise it becomes meaningless. Realistically, if you don't want to order within tiers, there shouldn't be more than ~10 within a tier. Therefore something like:

S+
S
A+
A
B+
B
C+
C
D

My own personal list (with no ordering within tiers) looks something like:

S+
Tempest Lao, Kobu Tanya, Summoner Quan, Hollywood Cassie, HQT predator, Boneshaper Shinnok, Dragon's Fire Liu Kang, Crystalline Tremor

S
Sorcerer Quan, A list Johnny Cage, Aftershock Tremor, Pumped Up Jax, Heavy Weapons Jax, Wrestler Jax, Swarm Queen D'Vorah, Grandmaster Sub Zero, Deceptive Reptile, Demolition Sonya

A+
Gunslinger Erron Black, Outlaw Erron Black, Metallic Tremor, Shaolin Kung Jin, Ronin Takeda, Shurai Ryu Takeda, Venomous D'Vorah, War God Kotal, Hellfire Scorpion, Stunt Double Johnny Cage

A
Covert Ops Sonya, Royal Storm Kitana, Mournful Kitana, Imposter Shinnok, Flame Fist Liu Kang, Spec Ops Cassie, Brawler Cassie, Noxious Reptile, Sun God Kotal, Cutthroat Kano, Hunter Predator

B+
Warlock Quan, Thundergod Raiden, Ninjitsu Scorpion, Buzzsaw Lao, Cybernetic Kano, Brawler Cassie, Master of Souls Ermac, Piercing Mileena, Lackey Ferra Tor, Nimble Reptile, Marksman Erron Black

B
Blood God Kotal, Shotgun Jacqui, Hatrick Kung Lao, Bojutsu Kung Jin, Spectral Ermac, Cyromancer Subzero, Full auto Jacqui, Lasher Takeda, Etheral Mileena, Dragon Fangs Goro, Dragon Naginata Tanya

C+
High Tech Jacqui, Assasin Kitana, Brood Mother D'Vorah, Dualist Liu Kang, Kuatan Warrior Goro, Vicious Ferra/Torr, Necromancer Shinnok, Special Forces Sonya

C
Ravenous Mileena, Commando Kano, Inferno Scorpion, Unbreakable Sub, Master of Storms Raiden, Pyromancer Tanya, Tigrar Fury Goro, Warrior Predator, Displacer Raiden

D
Possessed Kenshi, Kenjutsu Kenshi, Fisticuffs Johnny Cage, Ancestral Kung Jin, Balanced Kenshi, Mystic Ermac

F
Slasher Jason, Unstoppable Jason, Relentless Jason

Last edited:
Based off my limited knowledge of the game and Tremor and my vast salt mines, I think I understand why DJT put Metallic as S.

It's really only because he has a rock solid hard-on for all things Tremor :DOGE

Jokes aside, I agree with Crimson Panther's sentiments. Lava Skin turns his low projectile into a solid launcher that can be used repeatedly to juggle the opponent towards you and can lead to solid damage. He gains a restand that puts the opponent at a decent range that he can follow up with while they have a bit more trouble throwing out something. He doesn't need a lot of meter, aside from the standard 13% unbreakable that Tremors love. Gold Skin's projectiles are decent and can throw the opponent off since they arc and bounce around. It is also the blingiest variation in the game and the brutal alone makes him top tier.

But I still don't think Metallic is his BEST variation. Right now, without a doubt, it's gotta be Crystalline. The armor buff, the EX armored low launcher, the pressure he can put on and the damage he puts out. Aftershock keeps the opponent at bay better with his aerial earthquake. I think the big issue is that Metallic, when put up against those characters like Tempest Lao and Kobu Jutsu Tanya, won't be able to handle them as well as the other two can.

I think Metallic is an A+ variation more than an S variation, though with more play and representation we will be able to see more of what Tremor can do. I think he has the potential to be up there with Aftershock and Crystalline, but not just yet.

then again i know virtually nothing about mkx i'm probably wrong this whole post ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
For me Jax is A+ because he got some bad MU, he is full combo punishable and his OH got small range so he should stick to do his 50/50 and it's not one of the best 50/50.
I'm glad you put cutthroat over cybernetic and I agree with that but I think he is only A, yeah damage is here, it's hard to punish kano, one of the best back dashes but he lose his B1 for an CLOSE RANGE overhead (if miss you are full combo punishable) with 13 Start up when Shinnok has low in 7 with more range, so I say cutthroat is A.
Jax's B2 auto option select overhead hits from the start of the match distance against some characters in the cast. it is a massive, unreactable, almost always safe overhead.

Talk about general assertions...

I'm sorry but using a bar of meter for 33% and two bars for 46%, to me, would be considered average weighing in that use of meter. Metallic has follow-ups and different set-ups that lead to a free mix-up and/or pressure. Especially in the corner.

I'm not here to debate with you whether or not Crystalline is good or bad because we both agree it's good. However we clearly disagree on Tremor as a whole.

You'll understand I'm sure if the merit your opinion holds concerning Tremor due to abysmal assertions made in the past is in question. But with that said, I can respect your opinion despite believing it to be wrong.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
I believe Jax' overhead starter is completely safe - at least the last time i checked due to the fact that oh dash doesnt come out on block. I've invested a lot of time in Pumped Up and Jax is at least S imo. It's only logic that his oh dash is unsafe due to the insane damage rewards he gers for no meter. Jax also has extremely good buttons - 6 frame moves, plus frame strings and more. Pumped Up also has somewhat underrated zoning options. Really solid character. NOT everyone gets 43% off a 5050 for no meter.
43% off a 50/50 for a CORNER combo? Not very uncommon damage to be honest. His midscreen damage doesn't exist without meter (except HW of course).

Not unlike your versus Dragon's Fire knowledge. Or your versus my Freddy at Evolution 2012 knowledge.

Why is Metallic as good as Aftershock and Crystalline? Give specifics. And tell your blind followers to do the same.
Appreciate the assumption but I had this opinion about Metallic since everyone was talking only about Aftershock. Because I'm not as known means I'm a follower? Interesting logic.

I've given examples, what else are you looking for? What do you actually mean as specific? Because compared to what you've provided to argue your opinion which has been nothing more than damage percentages, I've given plenty of examples. No, I'm not going to sit here and write out all these situations and compare each variation. If so, it would just make more sense to write a guide.

It's just opinion at this point and if you're not going to even consider what I'm saying I'll just stop wasting both of our times. I've given reasons, I given examples, I don't know what you're looking for.

Paradoxxx

You smell of desperation...
Pretty accurate one question onlyQwhy johny a list is s class and goro in b?i think goro is a class easily...

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Am I the only one that thinks players, win or lose, should be free to change variations in tournaments? After each match.

Having a variation system is awesome regardless and a GREAT addition, but I just feel like it should be focused on at the pro level more-so than it is, and the results could be pretty awesome IMO.

Rearawt

Noob
Am I the only one that thinks players, win or lose, should be free to change variations in tournaments? After each match.
Nope

http://testyourmight.com/threads/character-lock-but-no-variation-lock.56771/
http://testyourmight.com/threads/poll-tournament-play-3-character-variation-locking.43858/
http://testyourmight.com/threads/official-tournament-standard-for-selecting-your-character-in-mkx.44052/

People kept saying "it's too early" and "we should try it both ways in different tournaments and see which is better" but then that never really happened and the issue was dropped forever. Kinda like the 60-second timer thing.

TQT1995

Scrub - Zero
When you have 87 characters, you need to separate into more tiers or order within tiers. Otherwise it becomes meaningless. Realistically, if you don't want to order within tiers, there shouldn't be more than ~10 within a tier. Therefore something like:

S+
S
A+
A
B+
B
C+
C
D

My own personal list (with no ordering within tiers) looks something like:

S+
Tempest Lao, Kobu Tanya, Summoner Quan, Hollywood Cassie, HQT predator, Boneshaper Shinnok, Dragon's Fire Liu Kang, Crystalline Tremor

S
Sorcerer Quan, A list Johnny Cage, Aftershock Tremor, Pumped Up Jax, Heavy Weapons Jax, Wrestler Jax, Swarm Queen D'Vorah, Grandmaster Sub Zero, Deceptive Reptile, Ronin Takeda

A+
Gunslinger Erron Black, Outlaw Erron Black, Metallic Tremor, Shaolin Kung Jin, Shurai Ryu Takeda, Venomous D'Vorah, Demolition Sonya, War God Kotal, Hellfire Scorpion, Stunt Double Johnny Cage

A
Covert Ops Sonya, Royal Storm Kitana, Mournful Kitana, Imposter Shinnok, Flame Fist Liu Kang, Spec Ops Cassie, Brawler Cassie, Noxious Reptile, Sun God Kotal, Cutthroat Kano, Hunter Predator

B+
Warlock Quan, Thundergod Raiden, Ninjitsu Scorpion, Buzzsaw Lao, Cybernetic Kano, Brawler Cassie, Master of Souls Ermac, Piercing Mileena, Lackey Ferra Tor, Nimble Reptile, Marksman Erron Black

B
Blood God Kotal, Shotgun Jacqui, Hatrick Kung Lao, Bojutsu Kung Jin, Spectral Ermac, Cyromancer Subzero, Full auto Jacqui, Lasher Takeda, Etheral Mileena, Dragon Fangs Goro, Dragon Naginata Tanya

C+
High Tech Jacqui, Assasin Kitana, Brood Mother D'Vorah, Dualist Liu Kang, Kuatan Warrior Goro, Vicious Ferra/Torr, Necromancer Shinnok, Special Forces Sonya

C
Ravenous Mileena, Commando Kano, Inferno Scorpion, Unbreakable Sub, Master of Storms Raiden, Pyromancer Tanya, Tigrar Fury Goro, Warrior Predator, Displacer Raiden

D
Possessed Kenshi, Kenjutsu Kenshi, Fisticuffs Johnny Cage, Ancestral Kung Jin, Balanced Kenshi, Mystic Ermac

F
Slasher Jason, Unstoppable Jason, Relentless Jason
Put Unbreakable sub at D tier.