What's new

MKX Impressions from PSX (Views From a Skeptic)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Anti airing in MK9 might be the easiest and most rewarding i've seen in any fighting game and it's one reason a lot of people love it.
It's the most rewarding of today's 1v1 FGs. But the easiest? I think SFIV has it beat. Invincibility makes a world of difference.

"Chip damage (another concern I've seen) seemed way more akin to INJ, and this is a welcome change, IMO (sorry JC players)"

Am i the only one bummed to hear this? I enjoy the hell out of chip heavy characters, and while JC could be a little too much, I never saw the idea as a broken concept, and it seems a huge loss to eliminate it as an area where characters can specialize(i'm also worried now about EX runes for Quan)

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Am i the only one bummed to hear this? I enjoy the hell out of chip heavy characters, and while JC could be a little too much, I never saw the idea as a broken concept, and it seems a huge loss to eliminate it as an area where characters can specialize(i'm also worried now about EX runes for Quan)
I have mixed feelings about the chip. First off, remember it's subject to change by final release. Chip damage in the MK9 demo was kinda weird and a lot different than what was finalized.

That said... if it does stay really low, I do worry how it'll affect pressure as far as opening players up. If you can lay on the block button and wait as long as you want for an opening because you're taking no damage... I think that gets stale. I also like the unorthodox combos we had in MK9 as far as cutting BnB's short in exchange for guaranteed chip (Sub's b1,2,1).

On the other hand, stuff like Johnny Cage, Kung Lao's 2,1,2,1,2, Skarlet, etc. were over the top. Ultimately, we just don't know the feel of the game. So we don't know what role block-strings will have if any. They might not fit in in an important way.

As far as EH Rune... MK9 was a freak case of an unblockable you could cancel into that was big frame advantage on hit. I'd trust they don't repeat something like that with any characters.

Specifically, we've seen that EH Rune launches, so there couldn't be that kind of standing reset.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
It's the most rewarding of today's 1v1 FGs. But the easiest? I think SFIV has it beat. Invincibility makes a world of difference.
Well I mean most characters you can just push standing 1 and anti air into good damage and some cases into standing resets or vortex (scorpion)

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
One thing I'd really like to know from the OP is how jump friendly Mkx is. I thought Mk9 rewarded jumping too much despite all that AA. I never did master the standing 1 AA and I hate opponents who constantly jump around, even when I beat them soundly.

So how is it this time round ? Does standing 1 AA work ?
How come you hate them when you beat them soundly?

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
How did the interactables feel? Did they make a big impact in the flow of the game or were they just kinda there?

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
How did the interactables feel? Did they make a big impact in the flow of the game or were they just kinda there?
Like I said, they seemed like something to be aware of, but it's not like INJ where I'd be worrying about it affecting an entire MU. The leveraging interactables will probably give the most use once the game is dropped though.

Last edited: