What's new

MKX Impressions from PSX (Views From a Skeptic)

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Editor's Note: This thread has been promoted based off of xWildx's experience with Mortal Kombat X this past weekend. There was no stream to our knowledge or reveals. Mortal Kombat X was there for player demonstration. The following are the thoughts of xWildx's regarding his time with Mortal Kombat X. ~ STORMS

Well, since everyone else who attended The Playstation Experience this weekend seems to be making threads I figured I might as well make one, haha.

I have to say, going into it I was scared. You see so much talk on the forums here about how interactables make it less like MK, how the lack of dash blocking has made people less excited for the game, how horrible Cassie's face is, etc. etc.

But let me just say, after having played it myself? You can safely lay all of those fears to rest, this game is pure Mortal Kombat and it's fantastic. People talking about the gameplay videos not doing the game justice were absolutely correct. All the animations, effects, stages were BEAUTIFUL to look at, and the game is even more gruesome looking in person. I can't tell you how many, "Oh sh*t!"s, "God damn!"s, and "LOL that's awesome!"s I heard while playing at or near the station.

The game itself controls much more like MK9 than INJ and I found myself immediately comfortable with the controls. Everything was responsive and the dashing mechanic wasn't as complicated as I've seen people make it sound. Starting a dash and leading into a run felt natural, as did immediately blocking when I wanted to stop with a simple second click of the block button. One thing I want to point out is how the d1/2/3/4's all work: MK9 players will feel right at home, and honestly they all feel like they hold a bit more weight in the fight, probably due to the lack of dash blocking to keep pressure going. The walk speeds were all great, and the interactables felt natural and were all very cut and dry (in a good way). Simple press of the button and it was done and gone. They're something to be aware of during the game, but I don't feel like they'll completely alter MU's like they did in INJ.

whosnext.jpg

Chip damage (another concern I've seen) seemed way more akin to INJ, and this is a welcome change, IMO (sorry JC players). Jump-in punches felt like classic MK9 (to me at least), but the varying animations took some adjustment to get used to (again, a good thing).

Overall, playing MKX over the weekend has taken me from cautiously optimistic to incredibly excited, and I can't wait to get my hands on the full version of the game to hit the lab ^_^

I look forward to seeing you all online, and just for funsies.... I'd like you all to imagine the range of Kitana's normals and Mileena's D+4. You now have a strong idea of D'Vorah's normals.

Edit: One thing I forget to mention: From what I tested, pokes (D+1, etc.) do NOT link naturally into specials for a combo. It's like how it was in MK9, not INJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I was disappointed with your infiltration skills in regards to Tanya (you know what I mean) lol.

I would have texted you more things to "test" yesterday but I was out drinking. I'm excited the run option isn't wanky and I'm even more excited for D'Vorah.

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
LBSH. Literally the only reason you're a skeptic is because Mileena has yet to be announced.

<3<3<3

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
I was disappointed with your infiltration skills in regards to Tanya (you know what I mean) lol.

I would have texted you more things to "test" yesterday but I was out drinking. I'm excited the run option isn't wanky and I'm even more excited for D'Vorah.
The turn up is real. Anyways @xWildx did the stop run animation feel like it was 0 frames or?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Edit: One thing I forget to mention: From what I tested, pokes (D+1, etc.) do NOT link naturally into specials for a combo. It's like how it was in MK9, not INJ.
Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! For this, i was worried tho.

Also thank fucking Paulo no more ALL THE WAY JUMP IN that you can read, but you can't punish properly because it contains active frames until it reaches the ground with that stiff kick, one of my favorite changes in MKX is the fact that all jump attacks now have recoil and recovery animations, which forces EVERYONE to telegraph their jumps well, otherwise better focus playing on the ground.

great post.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
One thing I'd really like to know from the OP is how jump friendly Mkx is. I thought Mk9 rewarded jumping too much despite all that AA. I never did master the standing 1 AA and I hate opponents who constantly jump around, even when I beat them soundly.

So how is it this time round ? Does standing 1 AA work ?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
One thing I'd really like to know from the OP is how jump friendly Mkx is. I thought Mk9 rewarded jumping too much despite all that AA. I never did master the standing 1 AA and I hate opponents who constantly jump around, even when I beat them soundly.

xWildx and MITDJT reported that the jump is rulled by a float system that forces jumps to actually stay in air when attacking, forcing any jump player to time their jump attacks willingly and sparingly otherwise if ppl simply just jump in because they can they're getting cut clean out of the air with standing normals.

Mostly, i think what Paulo did is giving the MK9 jump punch proprieties to the jump kick proprieties as well in MKX, so all attacks in the air have recoil animation and have recovery animations, meaning you can't do them too early, the character will pull their members before reaching the ground and might actually miss the target. Which makes much easier to D1 them out of the air, or simply AA with a standing normal or other move.

Indeed Jump kick was probably the most powerful universal tool in MK9, it was good even against uppercuts, standing normals, anti-crossups and it was a free get in tool or free crossover tool when lots of things are going on up close,

This time is different, doing early kicks at the peak of a jump apex result on the character pulling their legs before it reaches the ground, i can already see how much room for punish it might give, so its a positive thing.

xWildx

Eddy pretty much nailed it, but yeah, AA's seem like they be almost easier than they were in MK9. It'll be interesting to see how the air game for MKX develops.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
xWildx and MITDJT reported that the jump is rulled by a float system that forces jumps to actually stay in air when attacking, forcing any jump player to time their jump attacks willingly and sparingly otherwise if ppl simply just jump in because they can they're getting cut clean out of the air with standing normals.

Mostly, i think what Paulo did is giving the MK9 jump punch proprieties to the jump kick proprieties as well in MKX, so all attacks in the air have recoil animation and have recovery animations, meaning you can't do them too early, the character will pull their members before reaching the ground and might actually miss the target. Which makes much easier to D1 them out of the air, or simply AA with a standing normal or other move.

Indeed Jump kick was probably the most powerful universal tool in MK9, it was good even against uppercuts, standing normals, anti-crossups and it was a free get in tool or free crossover tool when lots of things are going on up close,

This time is different, doing early kicks at the peak of a jump apex result on the character pulling their legs before it reaches the ground, i can already see how much room for punish it might give, so its a positive thing.
Thank you. A very in dept description indeed.

Slymind

Noob
Still Dvorah is top tier material. Every time a character is a developer favorite they are good. Kitana and Dvorah are the lead developer's favorite and Flash is Boon's.
Word. Which is kind of annoying if you ask me, devs should drop the bias and make it as fair as possible. Although Scorpion is Ed's favorite, and he was one of the most balanced characters apparently, with high risk/reward approach.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Very nice, I feel even more excited now and am so happy jump in punches are similar to MK 9 and that they nerfed chip rush down damage! Nice.

NJP also I was told are slower than MK 9 by few people who attended these things @xWildx hi there mr. wild guy lol is this true you'd say? And the dash running they said can't be cancelled into block like you could dash cancel into block in MK9, this true, they said once you committ you run risk but can be cancelled into backdashes and moves in general such as dash running into Subs slid or Scorp's leg take down etc can you confirm this? Thanks!

xWildx

Very nice, I feel even more excited now and am so happy jump in punches are similar to MK 9 and that they nerfed chip rush down damage! Nice.

NJP also I was told are slower than MK 9 by few people who attended these things @xWildx hi there mr. wild guy lol is this true you'd say? And the dash running they said can't be cancelled into block like you could dash cancel into block in MK9, this true, they said once you committ you run risk but can be cancelled into backdashes and moves in general such as dash running into Subs slid or Scorp's leg take down etc can you confirm this? Thanks!
The njp's did feel a bit slow, but so did the jumping as a whole. As for dash blocking, no, it's not like it was in MK9. However, you can cancel the run into whatever, including letting go and pushing it again to block.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The njp's did feel a bit slow, but so did the jumping as a whole. As for dash blocking, no, it's not like it was in MK9. However, you can cancel the run into whatever, including letting go and pushing it again to block.
Interesting, thanks. :)