What's new

MKX and Command Grabs

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yeah, Kotal's grab is absolute horse ass other then having a better input lol, nobody is gonna debate that.

FlappyDaniel

I would trade parries, and even one of the command grabs (back or forward) if I had half the launcher capability of kotal.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
My biggest problem is with the throw invulnerable moves that this game has. If you're grounded and I spend a bar to throw command grab you with armor and you dodge it by hitting d3 or a billion other moves that's complete bullshit. It makes command grabs an even bigger risk than they need to be, the only positive in this game the damage is so high it makes any command grab I hit with Jason do at least 20%. Which compared to something like SF4 is good but compared to anime fighters is still pretty average or bad. Depending on the grappler in which game.

Last edited:
I agree with other here in that I'd like to see a character like commando kano get more damage on command grabs, or more advantage for oki. He doesn't feel as threatening up close as he should be.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I think some of us are scared to buff command grabs because of Erron Black's

Id be down o buff the others as long as they leave his the fuck alone lol

Audit

Falls down too much
As a Ferra/Torr Lackey main, I can tell you that if the positioning is any closer than full screen after a command grab Lackey would be broken and completely overpowered.

RYX

BIG PUSHER

ironically he probably has one of the best grabs as far as positioning goes

Or at the very least he has options to use from that distance unlike most of the other people with a command grab

FlappyDaniel

I think they just need to give a slight bit more OKI advantage to kano's like just a few frames. Idc about the dmg so much since it's still pretty good, but would make more sense if I got 20 off of a command grab instead of 16. The EX is only used for armor, so I wouldn't even care if the EX did the same dmg as the regular.

edit: of course if the grabs start doing 20 they start being a LOT more threatening, but I think that's kinda the point.

carrion4worm

king of the underground

yeah...but really us Erron players know his c.g. is average...it's the 21122 block string that makes it seem so strong. More ticks than a bloodhound, baby!
#leavemyframesalone2015

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think command grabs are kind of booty in MKX; normal throws do 12%, require a single button press, and might as well be untechable considering how often they get teched. There are too many dbf command throws in this game that deal 14% with no real tradeoff such as additional range or advantage. Hell, Jason's command throw will actually throw your opponent out of the corner and force you to try to get back in on them...

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
I never thought I'd see the day when people missed bane's command grab. I think I can hear 16 Bit screaming from across the Atlantic as he reads this
I'm a former Bat-Breaker, of course I miss Banes grab, I miss his venom trait even more though. Just armoring though everyone's stuff like a boss as I dish out 30% with a grab.

People are complaining about 17% command grabs.

Meanwhile, Kotal's command grab is just as slow and bad on whiff but on L3 it doesn't even do the damage Kano's does.
Kotal falls under the Command Grab complaints too, his Sun Grab needs a slight damage buff with the MB version doing more damage.

Overall I feel that everyone's command grabs (Excluding Erron Black because he just doesn't need it) should do MB damage normally and the MB versions do about 4% more damage than what they currently do. Sun God Kotal kahn needs this more than others because even with MB, his Sun Grab does only 7%/11%/16% for each level. And he get virtually NOTHING for using Sun Scorch, even with 3 Sun Grabs connected. Normal Sun grab should do 11%/15%/19% with MB doing 15%/19%/23%.

Alright, I said what I wanted about command grab damage, I think I'll stop with that for now because I don't want to turn this thread into a Buff/Nerf grab thread.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
ironically he probably has one of the best grabs as far as positioning goes

Or at the very least he has options to use from that distance unlike most of the other people with a command grab
No doubt, Erron Black gets very damn scary after he does his grab because it puts him in the perfect position to do his 33/33/33 game.

I think command grabs are kind of booty in MKX; normal throws do 12%, require a single button press, and might as well be untechable considering how often they get teched. There are too many dbf command throws in this game that deal 14% with no real tradeoff such as additional range or advantage. Hell, Jason's command throw will actually throw your opponent out of the corner and force you to try to get back in on them...
I feel like that Jason's grabs are like that so he has space to do dd3 or dd4.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I think they are ok. I do have issues with Erron Black's on occasion (the Tarkatan arm stab comes out instead sometimes) but that's probably because I don't play him often lol

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
  • In the middle of a match, a 14 frame unblockable grab can be a tad difficult to avoid.
  • I Agree that grab damage is lacking
  • Air Ball? Why aren't you using his B1? It's one of the best Anti-Airs in the game. Kano doesn't even need an anti-air grab when he can B1 into full combo.
Hmm thx for b1 didnt knew that works but anyway i dont think you have time for it when you sit and opponet cross over

ando1184

Noob
The only real issue I see with them is that if your opponent is doing a multihitting string, an armored command grab will wiff completely. I've had Sonya's overhead low into cartwheel make my command grab whiff on wakeup. I was armored, what sense does that make?

Error

DF2+R2
I'm a former Bat-Breaker, of course I miss Banes grab, I miss his venom trait even more though. Just armoring though everyone's stuff like a boss as I dish out 30% with a grab.

Kotal falls under the Command Grab complaints too, his Sun Grab needs a slight damage buff with the MB version doing more damage.

Overall I feel that everyone's command grabs (Excluding Erron Black because he just doesn't need it) should do MB damage normally and the MB versions do about 4% more damage than what they currently do. Sun God Kotal kahn needs this more than others because even with MB, his Sun Grab does only 7%/11%/16% for each level. And he get virtually NOTHING for using Sun Scorch, even with 3 Sun Grabs connected. Normal Sun grab should do 11%/15%/19% with MB doing 15%/19%/23%.

Alright, I said what I wanted about command grab damage, I think I'll stop with that for now because I don't want to turn this thread into a Buff/Nerf grab thread.
For the amount of set-up his grab takes he should be doing massive damage off his level 3 grab, it reminds me a bit of a poverty Grundy trait grab where he does three commands starting with grab and gets a boost all at once, but here instead he has to grab you 3 times and then use a separate move to get a boost.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Hmm thx for b1 didnt knew that works but anyway i dont think you have time for it when you sit and opponet cross over
The least of Kano's issues is anti-airing, unlike most of the cast he has like 5 or 6 options that actually work.
b1, d2, upball, ex upball, ex straight ball, air ball, choke, air to air j2, d4 low profile etc

RYX

BIG PUSHER
For the amount of set-up his grab takes he should be doing massive damage off his level 3 grab, it reminds me a bit of a poverty Grundy trait grab where he does three commands starting with grab and gets a boost all at once, but here instead he has to grab you 3 times and then use a separate move to get a boost.
i wish his grab was like grundy's

sexy chain grabs

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I have no problems with the grabs themselves. I quite like Ferra Torr's speed and range even if the damage isn't Bane numbers. Only problem I have still is fucking grab immunity on moves. Seriously wtf. Both of Ferra Torr's armored reversals don't lead into combos, at least don't make me get blown up for doing a standing reversal to interurpt pressure correctly just because the random buttons my opponent is pressing happen to be grab immune

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I kinda miss Shazam's ability to tick throw. Kano has a tick off his worst string but nothing works on hit and block like shazam. Meaning you have to armor your grabs a lot and ughhh meter.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I love grapplers and though I can get by with the command throws in this game, I think they need more work.

if anything:
-Non-duckable or low-profileable
-17-20% at base or no full screen toss. One or the other depending on the character.

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
The least of Kano's issues is anti-airing, unlike most of the cast he has like 5 or 6 options that actually work.
b1, d2, upball, ex upball, ex straight ball, air ball, choke, air to air j2, d4 low profile etc
upball is broken by all jump kicks, choke work 1/10 times, B+1 works well i confirm now :)