What's new

MKX and Command Grabs

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Also if a guy like li joe can consistently tech grabs to the point where I have to throw him out of the corner as a mind game it shows that the system works.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Let's just say you didn't have to let go of block. A footsie based character that doesn't have good advantage strings and chip pressure will have no way to whiff punish with the threat of a throw. You can just hold block till its your turn and you'll be good to go. Not to mention you can just mash whatever buttons you want while safely blocking which would cover the attack and throw options at the same time. This becomes even worse if you don't have to guess what direction you'll be thrown in.

These are not good ideas and people really need to think about this stuff a little more before making suggestions. I've seen threads suggesting the techs be easier on top of 1 bar push blocks with the majority of people here agreeing with it. That would definitely only help the best characters in the game.
I think the problem here isn't just throws are dumb. It's that some character designs are dumb. A footsie based character is supposed to win at neutral and if he they end up losing that they usually have a hard time making comebacks. Plenty of footsie based characters do just fine without having a throw guessing game. As for OSing techs while blocking, NRS can either make throw inputs override block so then you can bait and punish or put in an anti-tech-mash system in the game. The latter I already said which someone else pointed out before me. I still think throws in this game are dumb but I do see how it might be a problem for some characters if throws were changed. IMO those characters should be better made if taking away a guess is going to harm them so much.

Just saw your other posts, in regards to throwing out of the corner yeah that's a mind game but what about midscreen? There is still giving away a bar because of first hit even if you tech which is pretty silly.

Last edited:
I think I can see why throws are low damage in this game (I'm not saying I agree with it, just speculating as to why things are the way they are).

All of the 'grapplers' have full screen options that do damage.

Commando- Knife, Kano Ball, Air Ball
Sun God- Sun Stone and God Rays
Lackey- Charge (with hit of armour on start up for regular, super armour for MB)
Goro- Tele Stomp, Fire Ball, others
Brawler- Gun
Jason- Teleport, Dash Punch, Armour, Pursuit
Erron- Guns, Bombs, Slide

Now look at SF4:

Zangief- Ex green hand and lariet to negate projectiles, nothing to damage
T-Hawk- Can't remember
Hugo- Standing HP has a hit of armour, lariet has a hit of armour, hop kick jumps projectiles, none do damage
Abel- One of his Ultras maybe?Can't remember

I think the idea might have been that, if grapplers can do damage at full screen then they shouldn't be able to do huge damage with grans as a way to compensate. Personally I would rather it was the other way around, remove the long range options and give them a damage boost, say 25-30% for a regular grab, but also no ways of ticking or combining into them from strings (I'm happy with them coming from single attacks), but MKX isn't my game, it's NRS's and it's only them who can say if grapplers fit their idea of what the game should be.

Scoot Magee

I think the problem here isn't just throws are dumb. It's that some character designs are dumb. A footsie based character is supposed to win at neutral and if he they end up losing that they usually have a hard time making comebacks. Plenty of footsie based characters do just fine without having a throw guessing game. As for OSing techs while blocking, NRS can either make throw inputs override block so then you can bait and punish or put in an anti-tech-mash system in the game. The latter I already said which someone else pointed out before me. I still think throws in this game are dumb but I do see how it might be a problem for some characters if throws were changed. IMO those characters should be better made if taking away a guess is going to harm them so much.

Just saw your other posts, in regards to throwing out of the corner yeah that's a mind game but what about midscreen? There is still giving away a bar because of first hit even if you tech which is pretty silly.
But what footsie based characters don't need grabs to give incentive to press buttons? Also throws are risky, the whiff animation is long, I have to be right on top of you and you have to be blocking. They are good but not dumb as you guys say.

As for the meter bonus that's probably unintended and will hopefully be fixed.

Scoot Magee

Also even if tech wasn't mash able it would still be incredibly easy and safe to attempt techs. You could just block and time tech inputs at any chance of a throw set up between strings and etc. You wouldnt even need to mash. It would completely nullify counter hitting attempted techs which would make throws terrible.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Also even if tech wasn't mash able it would still be incredibly easy and safe to attempt techs. You could just block and time tech inputs at any chance of a throw set up between strings and etc. You wouldnt even need to mash. It would completely nullify counter hitting attempted techs which would make throws terrible.
If techs aren't mashable and you try to time a tech, I pause for a split second then throw. If they made throws override blocking I act like I'm going to throw duck/jump/attack and you get punished. There are plenty of ways to make throws a viable mind game even with MK's block button. If I had to always release block to tech a throw I would at least like to be given a chance to react to a backwards or forwards throw and receive no damage for properly defending against a throw.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I like the throw system.

It's 12%. 12% and the pressure is over and it's usually your turn after.

It's not that big of a deal.
That's how I feel about it. It's pretty risky throwing out a grab. It's 12% and no follow-up

BTW do you feel the game would be broken if grabs were untechable?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
That's how I feel about it. It's pretty risky throwing out a grab. It's 12% and no follow-up

BTW do you feel the game would be broken if grabs were untechable?
Depends on how much damage they did.

If i recall, vanilla SF II had untechable grabs that took 1/3rd life or some such.

They were really good.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think I can see why throws are low damage in this game (I'm not saying I agree with it, just speculating as to why things are the way they are).

All of the 'grapplers' have full screen options that do damage.

Commando- Knife, Kano Ball, Air Ball
Sun God- Sun Stone and God Rays
Lackey- Charge (with hit of armour on start up for regular, super armour for MB)
Goro- Tele Stomp, Fire Ball, others
Brawler- Gun
Jason- Teleport, Dash Punch, Armour, Pursuit
Erron- Guns, Bombs, Slide

Now look at SF4:

Zangief- Ex green hand and lariet to negate projectiles, nothing to damage
T-Hawk- Can't remember
Hugo- Standing HP has a hit of armour, lariet has a hit of armour, hop kick jumps projectiles, none do damage
Abel- One of his Ultras maybe?Can't remember

I think the idea might have been that, if grapplers can do damage at full screen then they shouldn't be able to do huge damage with grans as a way to compensate. Personally I would rather it was the other way around, remove the long range options and give them a damage boost, say 25-30% for a regular grab, but also no ways of ticking or combining into them from strings (I'm happy with them coming from single attacks), but MKX isn't my game, it's NRS's and it's only them who can say if grapplers fit their idea of what the game should be.
I feel grapplers should have at least one tool to use at full screen. Or at least something to move them quick and/or to go through projectiles. These tools don't have to be incredibly powerful but extremely useful for those characters. Take green hand, it clashes projectiles and ex is invincible, 2 hits and leaves your opponent standing and is a combo ender for gief. Lariat is a good anti air and also allows gief to get through projectiles without being predictable. In MKx if you look at Jason's stuff, Teleport isn't that great without meter, same with dash punch which is a high. Armour and Pursuit need setups to get going and pursuit just needs one hit to lose it. They have some tools to alleviate the usual flaws of grapplers. Jason on paper sounds great and he still ends up mid tier maybe even lower. Which is status quo for grapplers. As for characters like EB and cassie they aren't actual grapplers and more like mixup characters who have a command grab, like fei long or yun in SF4. So I don't expect them to get much advantage or damage off of their grabs. As for characters like Kano and Goro, they have good tools to do from afar but those things still aren't as amazing as what far away characters can do. Kano probably has it the easiest from fullscreen out of the grapplers. The advantage and damage Kotal or Jason got for using command grabs probably wouldn't be the same but neither would the perks of using Kano's or Goro's. I just think overall command grabs are lackluster in this game.

I feel grapplers should have at least one tool to use at full screen. Or at least something to move them quick and/or to go through projectiles. These tools don't have to be incredibly powerful but extremely useful for those characters. Take green hand, it clashes projectiles and ex is invincible, 2 hits and leaves your opponent standing and is a combo ender for gief. Lariat is a good anti air and also allows gief to get through projectiles without being predictable. In MKx if you look at Jason's stuff, Teleport isn't that great without meter, same with dash punch which is a high. Armour and Pursuit need setups to get going and pursuit just needs one hit to lose it. They have some tools to alleviate the usual flaws of grapplers. Jason on paper sounds great and he still ends up mid tier maybe even lower. Which is status quo for grapplers. As for characters like EB and cassie they aren't actual grapplers and more like mixup characters who have a command grab, like fei long or yun in SF4. So I don't expect them to get much advantage or damage off of their grabs. As for characters like Kano and Goro, they have good tools to do from afar but those things still aren't as amazing as what far away characters can do. Kano probably has it the easiest from fullscreen out of the grapplers. The advantage and damage Kotal or Jason got for using command grabs probably wouldn't be the same but neither would the perks of using Kano's or Goro's. I just think overall command grabs are lackluster in this game.
I agree. I mentioned Erron and Cassie because they have grabs, and actually forgot Jax. Many people have argued that Erron's ability to tick off of 21122 at several points makes him the best grappler in the game, although, as you've pointed out, he's not meant to be a grappler. Jax had several strings he can tick off, and Brawler can option select grab to come off of a blocked jump in (and do meter burn air throw on hit). The actual grapplers, however, struggle.

A long range option to absorb a projectile is fine. Giving grapplers a projectile and nerfing their grab damage seems to defeat the purpose of a grappler. Lackey Torr and Unstoppable Jason seem to be the closest to pure grappler, but aren't that scary compared to the mix up characters I listed.

Scoot Magee

If techs aren't mashable and you try to time a tech, I pause for a split second then throw. If they made throws override blocking I act like I'm going to throw duck/jump/attack and you get punished. There are plenty of ways to make throws a viable mind game even with MK's block button. If I had to always release block to tech a throw I would at least like to be given a chance to react to a backwards or forwards throw and receive no damage for properly defending against a throw.
But there's ways around grabs now and defending against them is viable. You can punish the shit out of throws if you read it correctly and nuetral crouch. You take the risk of going with your read and score huge damage if you're right.

A long range option to absorb a projectile is fine. Giving grapplers a projectile and nerfing their grab damage seems to defeat the purpose of a grappler. Lackey Torr and Unstoppable Jason seem to be the closest to pure grappler, but aren't that scary compared to the mix up characters I listed.
I have to agree here. The whole reason I ever play grapplers is to work my way in and then make it hurt. Meanwhile, in MKX grapplers are getting a pathetic 14-17% dmg for a meterless throw, and characters like commando Kano don't have too many options for making that damage up elsewhere. Sure he has knife and kanoball from fullscreen, but they pay small dividends and fullscreen kanoball is a risky read.

Last edited:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I agree. I mentioned Erron and Cassie because they have grabs, and actually forgot Jax. Many people have argued that Erron's ability to tick off of 21122 at several points makes him the best grappler in the game, although, as you've pointed out, he's not meant to be a grappler. Jax had several strings he can tick off, and Brawler can option select grab to come off of a blocked jump in (and do meter burn air throw on hit). The actual grapplers, however, struggle.

Yeah overall grapplers in MK seemed to play with the grappler playstyle without the payoffs of being grappler.

But there's ways around grabs now and defending against them is viable. You can punish the shit out of throws if you read it correctly and nuetral crouch. You take the risk of going with your read and score huge damage if you're right.
Also @buyacushun what footsie characters do not need grabs to help set up whiff punish situations?
The way I've seen footsie characters is that they have better normals (reach, priority, AAs.) and have specials that help them keep a certain distance without necessarily applying pressure. You would whiff punish by walking back and forth and also sticking out normals of your own to try and bait your opponent into sticking something out so you can punish. A footsie character playing mid screen wouldn't even be in range to throw. The first 2 off the top of my head would be chun and guile from SF. Keeping the opponent out and using every misstep to get in as a means to tap them with buttons. One tactic I like that I think only Metallic Tremor has is sending out a slow fireball and approaching.

Just wanted to say, I get what your saying about grabs and I don't mean your wrong or NRS way is wrong. Just that I feel the throw system would be better if it was different.

Scoot Magee

Yeah overall grapplers in MK seemed to play with the grappler playstyle without the payoffs of being grappler.

The way I've seen footsie characters is that they have better normals (reach, priority, AAs.) and have specials that help them keep a certain distance without necessarily applying pressure. You would whiff punish by walking back and forth and also sticking out normals of your own to try and bait your opponent into sticking something out so you can punish. A footsie character playing mid screen wouldn't even be in range to throw. The first 2 off the top of my head would be chun and guile from SF. Keeping the opponent out and using every misstep to get in as a means to tap them with buttons. One tactic I like that I think only Metallic Tremor has is sending out a slow fireball and approaching.

Just wanted to say, I get what your saying about grabs and I don't mean your wrong or NRS way is wrong. Just that I feel the throw system would be better if it was different.
I meant examples from mkx. Sf is a totally different game so that example is not good for this specific question. There's a lot of other things in sf that make all that possible.

I get that you would like a different system but you woukd need a lot of other changes to make it work.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I meant examples from mkx. Sf is a totally different game so that example is not good for this specific question. There's a lot of other things in sf that make all that possible.

I get that you would like a different system but you woukd need a lot of other changes to make it work.
But that's also partly my point. To say a footsie character needs grab bait to whiff punish then the character probably isn't a footsie character. To play footsie they would need good normals to cover ranges, maybe a projectile, and other specials to make them play a certain way. But mostly it's about the normals. Kung lao plays this way, Kotal Kahn, and I play this way with my brawler Cassie and MoS Raiden. The projectile example might barely work here but everything else I described definitely happens.