What's new

MK9 Characters game play

Hello TYM
I want to know your opinion on the following serious question,
Which players developed the "current" high level play style of MK9 Chars?
Correct me if i am wrong, but this is how i think:

Sonya- MortySeinfeld
Cage- JOP
Kabal- REO
Kung Lao- Perfect Legend
Sub Zero- Tom Brady
Kitana- @Mr Mileena GGA 16 Bit <-- not sure
Noob Saibot- @DR
Kratos- Alien Substance
CSZ- UsedForGlue

IDK about the other Chars!
Let's discuss this and let's find out who they are!

lol how can u say that havent face my kratos lol :p
Neither have you! Are you on the U.S. servers? Perhaps we can play sometime once I acquire a functioning PS3.

But seriously now, I say that only because I was the lonely guy contributing to the Kratos sub-forum for a good while, around August. With only teef's HDC video to assist me in any meaningful way, Somberness' Frame Data also helped me greatly to the advancement later on.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
@Alien Substance. and @ EGP Wonder_Chef

i came back to test your might and saw TONS and TONS of mail and notes haha...trying to respond to all of them somehow but doing it personaly will take forever! haha

First of all, i know i disapeared haha...but i swear i missed all of you as well! this community and the video gaming crave lol. Sadly i was Really focusing on School so i can go to this Awsm university for concept arts with a scholarship. and now! as i am proudly happy that i achieved my goal ....i have to take out the STRESS over the summer with some money making time and relaxation and fun rofl

secondly, consider me back VERY VERY soon....because i will be joining the Injustice league scene as well as Guilty gear Plus R as my main.

So...haha...thank you guys :) really great words from nice friends, so thank you for remembering me and tons of respect for your kind words.
see you all soon and i will be really excited to join this Community and be back to the crazy craving of tournaments and discoveries ;)

keep in touch and see you all soon :)

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
i vote Maxter for CYRAX! i'd vote for myself but that's not fair =P I also think ETC McFly is absolutely insane and the best with Kung Lao.

Cage - JOP
Smoke - Aris
Sub - TB/Denzell (def/off, respectively)
Sheeva - Jeremiah
Cyber Sub - Pig/Reo/j360 not sure which was the real innovator. i think pig though
Kenshi - pig
Skarlet - scar/eddy wang probably the rest of their group too. they're the ones that talk about tech and strategy the most
Lao - PL
Jade - Birdsongs?
Reptile - Chris G
Quan - Mayo
Shang - Detroit
Kabal - Erik Warda/Michealangelo (sp?)
freddy - m2dave
Kitana - Crazy Dominican
sindel - wut?lol

Cage - JOP
Smoke - Aris
Sub - TB/Denzell (def/off, respectively)
Sheeva - Jeremiah
Cyber Sub - Pig/Reo/j360 not sure which was the real innovator. i think pig though
Kenshi - pig
Skarlet - scar/eddy wang probably the rest of their group too. they're the ones that talk about tech and strategy the most
Lao - PL
Jade - Birdsongs?
Reptile - Chris G
Quan - Mayo
Shang - Detroit
sindel - wut?lol
Thank you.
sindel-Mr.Mileena
Jade-Takeachance
stryker-espio
rain-smarggasm
I could name a few more but these are the one's Im pretty sure about.

Thank you.
sindel-Mr.Mileena
Jade-Takeachance
stryker-espio
rain-smarggasm
I could name a few more but these are the one's Im pretty sure about.
i was joking about birdsongs btw, though her.. his... their jade is very good.
were smarr, espio, and mr mil the originators of the style? i know they're arguably the best at the characters now, but i dont think that's what the thread is asking. though i honestly dont know because i havent seen old tournament video of anyone playing those characters.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
If this thread means what player has set the standard for how we play today, and not who is the best player for that character then:

Cage-Curbo
Sonya-F0xy Grampa
Kabal-REO
Kung Lao-PerfectLegend
Reptile-Chris G
Kitana-16 Bit
Mileena-REO
Jax-Tyrant/CDjr (both do/did amazing things for the character)

That's all I can think of for now lol.

If this thread means what player has set the standard for how we play today, and not who is the best player for that character then:
Cage-Curbo
Sonya-F0xy Grampa
Kabal-REO
Kung Lao-PerfectLegend
Reptile-Chris G
Kitana-16 Bit
Mileena-REO
Jax-Tyrant/CDjr (both do/did amazing things for the character)

That's all I can think of for now lol.
curbo got his cage from playing foxy, who's cage was jop + frame data.
same for reo's kabal vs the 2 i mentioned
bit's kitana is a copy of CD's old kitana

LanceMonsoon

curbo got his cage from playing foxy, who's cage was jop + frame data.
same for reo's kabal vs the 2 i mentioned
bit's kitana is a copy of CD's old kitana
Well that's why I said today, because we know frame data now. Plus the patches. I did not see Curbo using f32 nutpunch, 2 grab, repeat at Columbus. Same applies for REO vs the two you mentioned. REO does not f32 ndc repeat because in today's game it isn't an infinite like when MichelAngelo played. CD has/had a great Kitana (not sure if he still uses her), so credit can easily go to both or either one of them on that one.

Well that's why I said today, because we know frame data now. Plus the patches. I did not see Curbo using f32 nutpunch, 2 grab, repeat at Columbus. Same applies for REO vs the two you mentioned. REO does not f32 ndc repeat because in today's game it isn't an infinite like when MichelAngelo played. CD has/had a great Kitana (not sure if he still uses her), so credit can easily go to both or either one of them on that one.
Even in your wording though "set the standard" doesnt mean they still play. JOP was using frame advantage before it was known exacly how much he had, but he used it the same way it's used now. he's the one who "developed the playstile" (wording of the OP).
on kabal i can see why reo would be a convincing argument because he brought warda and M's styles together, so i'll concede that one.
CD "developed the playstyle" so i'm sticking with him on that too. The difference is just that bit got better with the character, but that is a different topic altogether.

LanceMonsoon

Even in your wording though "set the standard" doesnt mean they still play. JOP was using frame advantage before it was known exacly how much he had, but he used it the same way it's used now. he's the one who "developed the playstile" (wording of the OP).
on kabal i can see why reo would be a convincing argument because he brought warda and M's styles together, so i'll concede that one.
CD "developed the playstyle" so i'm sticking with him on that too. The difference is just that bit got better with the character, but that is a different topic altogether.
Well I never really thought about JOP abusing frame advantage actually lol. He did use it, just in a different way then Curbo, never thought of it like that. I just thought because of how Cage is played now with his sustained rushdown/jailing and using tactics like f33exFB. So Jop vs Curbo is a lot more debatable then I first thought. As for CD vs 16 bit, I wasn't into the scene (watching/playing MK9) until EVO 2011 (where 16 bit made top 8), so I could totally be wrong on that. Don't know the Kitana history enough.

i was joking about birdsongs btw, though her.. his... their jade is very good.
were smarr, espio, and mr mil the originators of the style? i know they're arguably the best at the characters now, but i dont think that's what the thread is asking. though i honestly dont know because i havent seen old tournament video of anyone playing those characters.
Oh okay.well maybe I shouldn't throw any names out there then. When Mk first came out, I played it seriously for a couple of months and gave up on it for a few months. And from the time I came back up until now, normally whenever I hear talk of those characters, those names automatically pop up. vice versa.

Well I never really thought about JOP abusing frame advantage actually lol. He did use it, just in a different way then Curbo, never thought of it like that. I just thought because of how Cage is played now with his sustained rushdown/jailing and using tactics like f33exFB. So Jop vs Curbo is a lot more debatable then I first thought. As for CD vs 16 bit, I wasn't into the scene (watching/playing MK9) until EVO 2011 (where 16 bit made top 8), so I could totally be wrong on that. Don't know the Kitana history enough.
bit's kitana then is nothing like kitana is played now. Bit was all zoning back then, but now kitana is played as a hybrid character who's footsie game defines her along with the fact that everything she does for pressure is safe. Robin essentially invented kit's rushdown and steve copied and integrated it. the difference is that bit still palys the game while robin is basically a family man now who still plays for fun (and is able to compete), but doesnt train.

Espio

Kokomo
Well the problem here is that not every solid player who has made major contributions to how a character plays at current high level plays them the same way and every great player(average/intermediate players, beginners etc also help) makes contributions so I don't think it is fair to say one person developed the current high level of play because multiple styles can work for characters and the community as a whole with tech, strategy sharing etc. helped inform those perspectives and styles of today.

If we were asking about top reps that might be a bit easier of a question to answer, but I digress.